• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, edge lit on KS8000 was the same so I disabled it. I'd much rather have a uniform dark gray background than 1 third black, 1 third lit/dark gray, and 1 third black.

Problem with FALD TVs (at least the Q90R) is that you cannot disable it, so with dark scenes you will always have a mix of the two.
The one time I tried disabling the Smart LED option on my KS9000, the results were strange. Anytime a black image would appear, the screen would somewhat strobe from black to gray and it looked very distracting. Not sure why it was doing that though.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not for the vast majority of games but I absolutely expect some devs that put a focus on locked 60 this gen implementing a 120 hz mode at lower res. + a 120 hz output can have upsides even with 60 fps games.

I guess I am one of those who predicts that we will just see more games at native 4K running at a locked 30, with more bells and whistles in terms of graphics rather than devs targeting 60fps. I can't see Sony releasing a new console with features that all their flagship TVs are incapable of utilising though, so maybe the PS5 will launch after the next generation of TVs launch.

Have the definitive pricing for the Sony 2019 OLEDs been revealed yet? I thought there was a price advantage for LG?

Here in the UK the AG8 has. It is £2299 for the 55" whereas the C9 is £200 more expensive at £2499.

Edit - just noticed the AG9 has too now. A cool £2999, a full £1000 more than the AF9. Crazy pricing.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It uses flashing blue on grey to help you calibrate the display. If you turn on the setting to show only blue, you should see no difference between the blue and grey if it is calibrated properly. It's just a matter of tweaking the color settings to get the best result.

Not asking how the slides work. I'm asking how you're getting anything accurate from the TV's "blue" filter if it's not even calibrated from the start? You would just be adjusting an uncalibrated blue against an uncalibrated blue. Unless the TV's filter is always going to be accurate out of the box.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
I guess I am one of those who predicts that we will just see more games at native 4K running at a locked 30, with more bells and whistles in terms of graphics rather than devs targeting 60fps. I can't see Sony releasing a new console with features that all their flagship TVs are incapable of utilising though, so maybe the PS5 will launch after the next generation of TVs launch.

I'm sadly in the same boat. The power of consoles is best shown through their image quality, and I'm almost sure that by the time we get 4K/60 fps as a standard it will be the "performance mode" along "graphics mode" 8K/30 fps.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not asking how the slides work. I'm asking how you're getting anything accurate from the TV's "blue" filter if it's not even calibrated from the start? You would just be adjusting an uncalibrated blue against an uncalibrated blue. Unless the TV's filter is always going to be accurate out of the box.
You are not looking for accuracy in the sense of CIE 1931 xy coordinates. So it's not really calibration in that sense. It is assuring you have the correct amount and type of color. It is only used for Saturation. Assuming all blue filters are 100% saturation you are just making sure that said color is matching and it is 100% saturated, that's all. When doing CMS it targets HSL (Hue, Saturation, and Luminance), these will change coordinates of CIE 1931 xy (if that is the color model being used). Adjusting the color and tint with those specific controls (Color, Tint) with any color bars (I prefer a color ramp that goes from around 75% to 100% for all colors) it gives you a better starting point before working on CMS.

I would suggest not doing CMS without a meter since you are trying to move the xyY to specific coordinates when using CMS, but if someone does they should only do Saturation since it can be seen via a color bar and filter. Good example is you could have the correct xy coordinates but the Y coordinate is completely off it will ruin flesh tones. If it's super off you can tell by eye but to ensure it's correct need a meter. This is only done is CMS. Color and Tint do not impact this, which is what should be used with filters and SMPTE bars and the like.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
That will always be a given on consoles. Just for performance minded devs (like Platinum or Turn10) or in cases where the hardware can easily handle it (like indie games or remasters), I think we'll see good support for HFR. With VRR you don't even need to hit 120 locked. Just uncap it when you see it constantly pushing 90+ FPS.
It's a new gen and console makers want to sell hardware so they'll use any advantage they can get. I bet they'll both talk about support for 120 hz when they officially reveal their consoles.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
From my question in the discussion section:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussio...-to-lg-s-claim-of-13ms-input-lag-in-game-mode

Adam Babcock (RTINGS.com):
We retested the input lag with the latest firmware, and the input lag has decreased significantly.
4k @ 60Hz 4:4:4 input lag is now 13.3 ms
1080p @ 120 Hz input lag is now 6.8 ms, just to name a few.
4k @ 60 Hz + HDR : 39.1 ms We suspect that this is a bug in the most recent LG firmware, and LG could fix it in a future update. We will retest this.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Finally got wife approval/bit the bullet on a Philips 55" 803 OLED. Arrives on Monday. All reviews seem to point to it being on a par with the C8, if not besting it in a few categories, and it's got ambilight, which I love. Anyone had any hands-on with these? I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve right now!

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Is there anyway to find input latency numbers for older tv's (~10 years old), I'm just curious what the input latency is on the TV I've been using (KDL-55EX700 series). I've tried looking online but haven't been able to find something.

I'm definitely planning to grab a new TV when next gen starts, ideally HDMI 2.1, low latency, 4K OLED, which probably means the LG C10. I'm hoping they can get input latency to match what they've advertised for 4K-HDR on the C9, heard it only works in 1080 which is a bummer.

Jul 18, 2018
After watching Sabrina on Netflix, and now Chambers...Dolby Vision is absolutely atrocious on Netflix. I'm not sure if they curated it to be that dark or not, especially Sabrina. Other Netflix DV stuff like movies seem to be fine that aren't made by Netflix.

I'm running it on a fire stick, and on native app on tv. Same problem. Does anyone know how to disable DV on netflix so it defaults to just HDR or whatever? I have to keep going in picture adjusts and set the video output as Adobe.RGB every time i load up these shows.

60 inch X900F & UH7700 for my tv set. 4k Firestick

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My boyfriend is currently hunting for a new 55" TV. His budget is 500-600€ (though he said he would be willing to go up to 700 if he has to). He doesn't have a whole lot in mind in terms of specific specs he's looking for (other than the generic "the image should look nice and defined") but he has been very impressed by OLED screens (not sure if there are any good ones out there in that price range). We mostly use it for watching Netflix and playing the occasional PS4 game. I thought I'd see if someone in here has any recommendations :)?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Pretty funny.

To be fair, I have not really had the same issue as others streaming from HBO Go on native app through my new X950G. I mean the show looks dark, but I can still make out all the fine detail and never find myself squinting or guessing at what's on screen. So go Sony?

Yeah, same thing with my X930E. But I think the problem really is a mix of a very suboptimal stream quality with somewhat miscalibrated TVs. This is a recipe for disaster.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My Sony LCD decided to shit itself this morning.
5ly5njv.jpg

HRaDQMa.jpg
Buncha horizontal lines have shown up at the bottom of the screen. Has anyone experimented something like this? This is a bummer, I had (and still have) no intention of buying a new TV. :/ Read something about how it could be the t-con board malfunctioning or something in which I'd have to go shopping for a replacement. :|

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017

Buncha horizontal lines have shown up at the bottom of the screen. Has anyone experimented something like this? This is a bummer, I had (and still have) no intention of buying a new TV. :/ Read something about how it could be the t-con board malfunctioning or something in which I'd have to go shopping for a replacement. :|

Have you tried unplugging it from the wall for a minute or two to see if the issue goes away?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What model is it?

X900F can be found pretty cheap right now and its a fantastic LCD if you end up needing to replace your current set.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What model is it?

X900F can be found pretty cheap right now and its a fantastic LCD if you end up needing to replace your current set.

A W655A, it's nothing fancy, but at the time it was one of the TVs with the lowest input lags.

Frankly, I don't think my next TV will be a Sony. :P

Apr 21, 2018
Has anyone else tried to use a different gamut besides auto in some content?

extended with color 46 helped me A LOT to restore a bit of the saturation that is lost when using gamma 2.2, MK11 was particularly dark with default bt1886

Larsowitz

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
On the other hand, why is BFI important to you ? I seriously struggle to find its benefits when activated, plus it really darkens the picture.

For movies, I find motion handling to be better on the C9 than on the Q90R. Sure there are artefacts on fast traveling, but there are mostly on the sides on the screen, whereas on the Q90R they were more distracting to me.

For games, I guess that if you can afford a C9/Q90 you can afford PS4 pro/Xbox One X/High End PC where 30fps games tends to get rarer. Plus the new gen is almost there and with VRR you won't have to resort to BFI to have smooth motion.

It's really an honest question : for everyone that want BFI, can you please explain why ? I feel I might miss something ^^

Imo BFI is the game changer for 4k/60fps games. Motion resolution/clearity improves significantly and I do not notice the flicker (I feel it's the same as my old panasonic plasma).

However I only use BFI for games, not movies and I only play games on my PC (4k/60fps). Not sure how BFI works with 30fps content. Also I do not use HDR for games.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's silly. Sony makes great TVs and has very good quality control, to my knowledge.

Well not in my case!

Regardless of my personal issue, Sony has dropped the ball when it comes to input lag since then, compared to LG and Samsung, and it's a big deal for me. But I do hope I can get this fixed somehow, I'm fine with how my TV looked, in fact I like the picture it produces a good deal. Or produced... And I don't want to buy a new TV just before HDMI 2.1 becomes commonplace.

Oct 28, 2017
Well not in my case!

Regardless of my personal issue, Sony has dropped the ball when it comes to input lag since then, compared to LG and Samsung, and it's a big deal for me. But I do hope I can get this fixed somehow, I'm fine with how my TV looked, in fact I like the picture it produces a good deal. Or produced... And I don't want to buy a new TV just before HDMI 2.1 becomes commonplace.

I think I have that same TV in the bedroom. It does have a nice picture

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to spend up to £1000 on a new TV. Mostly for gaming and to be used as a PC monitor. Should I just get the XF9005 or are there better options for the price? Is now a good time to be looking for a new TV?

Would appreciate any input.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
That's silly. Sony makes great TVs and has very good quality control, to my knowledge.

The only thing that will prevent me to buy a Sony TV is Android TV. I have bought a nVidia Shield and quickly replaced it with an Apple TV.

This is by far the least reliable OS ever. Plus it's awfully slow to boot.

It's a goddamn shame as Sony engineers can make fantastic OS (the Vita's one is still the best console OS ever made to me with the Switch, and the PS4 one is good too), and my old Sony LCD 40W4000 still looks better PQ wise than most TV I see everywhere, and I never had a single bug with it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The only thing that will prevent me to buy a Sony TV is Android TV. I have bought a nVidia Shield and quickly replaced it with an Apple TV.

It's a goddamn shame as Sony engineers can make fantastic OS (the Vita's one is still the best console OS ever made to me with the Switch, and the PS4 one is good too), and my old Sony LCD 40W4000 still looks better PQ wise than most TV I see everywhere, and I never had a single bug with it.

New Sony TVs use a faster processor and also use the more efficient Android Oreo.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

New Sony TVs use a faster processor and also use the more efficient Android Oreo.

Yea, the new X1 Ultimate Processor is real snappy when using Android on the new Sony. I have no experience with the older line models(my last TV was a Sony X850B from 2014-15 I think. Pre-Android with a proprietary Sony OS, but it kind of sucked. Sluggish, convoluted, its own GUI with a bunch of tiles that felt disorganized).

I know Android gets a lot of hate, but the Sony OS prior wasn't exactly better in any way before. Though it wasn't the cross-media bar or the elegant PS4 minimalism(It's like the different biz segments have zero communication). It was just another bunch of app tiles haphazardly thrown on screen against a color backdrop with a million icons and drill menus you need to constantly wait to load in to perform some quick toggles or basic functions.

The new Android setup on my X950G is light years better. Super fast, no lag when navigating, almost instant load of apps. And the Settings quick menu is nice and a single button press away, unlike my old Sony OS which had like 5-6 clicks just to get to the thing I needed.

Only issue is that some apps kind of crash or have weird quirks at times. Like Netflix will drop audio entirely with my soundbar, some people experience similar hangups. HBO Go crashes when I try to FF or Rewind a stream pretty regularly after a pause. Many argue its an Android issue that Google needs to fix, but they are minor and have quick simple fixes when it occurs. But still...Android probs.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So I bit the bullet and bought the Q9FN, I'm looking forward to it being darker and can get a better idea of how it performs. Really pleased so far, I've been having a play around with Freesync and seeing which games are e

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So I bit the bullet and bought the Q9FN, I'm looking forward to it being darker and can get a better idea of how it performs. Really pleased so far, I've been having a play around with Freesync and seeing which games are e
Deffo interested in learning how it performs. I keep coming back to that or the new Q90R as the TV I want most.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
My boyfriend is currently hunting for a new 55" TV. His budget is 500-600€ (though he said he would be willing to go up to 700 if he has to). He doesn't have a whole lot in mind in terms of specific specs he's looking for (other than the generic "the image should look nice and defined") but he has been very impressed by OLED screens (not sure if there are any good ones out there in that price range). We mostly use it for watching Netflix and playing the occasional PS4 game. I thought I'd see if someone in here has any recommendations :)?
Hey, have a look at Rtings.com, they have a bunch of categories with recommendations. OLED might be hard to find for that price though...

Oct 28, 2017
The x950g seems like a good deal. Good input lag, best processor Sony has this year, great HDR, X-motion clarity... but it's still FALD LED. Stinks the stepdown OLED has the Extreme processor and not the Ultimate.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing wrong with the Q9FN of course, but I would've though you would've gone with an OLED tbh.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Only issue is that some apps kind of crash or have weird quirks at times. Like Netflix will drop audio entirely with my soundbar, some people experience similar hangups. HBO Go crashes when I try to FF or Rewind a stream pretty regularly after a pause. Many argue its an Android issue that Google needs to fix, but they are minor and have quick simple fixes when it occurs. But still...Android probs.

I don't even bother using any of the built-in shit on the X900F, I have a Fire TV 4K to handle all the apps and things.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This was posted in the LG 2017 OLED Calibration Thread and wanted to ask about it here. I was always skeptical of the Sharpness 10 is "off" recommendation, but it was so wide spread and my eyes couldn't see a difference I went with it. Seems like you should indeed keep it at 0, or is the 8 series different from the 7 in this regard?

Dunno if it's the same for c7 as for c8 but I think for no added sharpening it should be set to 0. At least that's what Rtings settings has it set as for both c7 and c8.

Someone also did a test to show what adding 10 points of sharpening did to their c8's image. Unless I'm missing something. 0 Is the way to go.
attachment.php