• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they are using 2018 panels in the new LG range? If the A9F drops in price I think that will be my next set.

2019 LG TVs will have a new panel. It's just that LG has said there are no major differences compared to 2018.

We know from photographs that the 2019 panel has a different pixel configuration compared to 2018 panels. The most likely explanation is that this is intended to reduce susceptibility to burn-in, but LG doesn't like to advertise anything burn-in related.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Just got a 65" C8 and need some good settings for Switch. I tried the Game preset and it looked rough. Put it on ISF (Bright Room) and it looks better but still…sort of dim? I'm really impressed with Dolby Vision and HDR10 content and am getting SDR looking right, after some tweaking.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2019 LG TVs will have a new panel. It's just that LG has said there are no major differences compared to 2018.

We know from photographs that the 2019 panel has a different pixel configuration compared to 2018 panels. The most likely explanation is that this is intended to reduce susceptibility to burn-in, but LG doesn't like to advertise anything burn-in related.

That is very confusing then. Just call it a 2019 panel surely?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
That is very confusing then. Just call it a 2019 panel surely?

In 2018 they also said it was the same panel as 2017. But photos of 2017, early 2018, late 2018, and 2019 TVs using displays produced by LG show that there are 4 clearly different pixel layouts being used.
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-te...velle-dalle-pour-televiseurs-oled-n82391.html

My guess is that the reason they don't want to talk about there being different panel versions is that journalists will inevitably ask them what is better about the new version, and they don't want to say "it's less likely to get burn-in" because that would be admitting there was a problem with the prior models.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck LG and double fuck LG customer service. Worst experience buying an expensive item I've ever had.

Bought an 55" E8 OLED (same panel as C8) and it broke less than 2 days after I got it. Wouldn't even turn on. Spent so much time on the phone talking to a million people and everyone just wants to pass the buck. Everyone "understands" but can do nothing. I've had to fight tooth and nail to even get a technician sent out here. The guy comes and confirms the screen is fucked and proposes to order a whole new screen and install it. Excuse me if I don't want to repair a 2 day old TV; I'd rather, you know, have a working brand new TV that I already paid for. No one can get me a replacement. LG can't do it. The vendor is out of stock. Fuck them all.

How hard is it to stand behind your products? Do you really think a customer wants to get a repair for a brand new purchase after 2 days? If you bought a car and the engine blew up after 48 hours, would you want to get an engine replacement or a brand new fucking car?

I'm so over it. This piece of shit is going back.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Fuck LG and double fuck LG customer service. Worst experience buying an expensive item I've ever had.

Bought an 55" E8 OLED (same panel as C8) and it broke less than 2 days after I got it. Wouldn't even turn on. Spent so much time on the phone talking to a million people and everyone just wants to pass the buck. Everyone "understands" but can do nothing. I've had to fight tooth and nail to even get a technician sent out here. The guy comes and confirms the screen is fucked and proposes to order a whole new screen and install it. Excuse me if I don't want to repair a 2 day old TV; I'd rather, you know, have a working brand new TV that I already paid for. No one can get me a replacement. LG can't do it. The vendor is out of stock. Fuck them all.

How hard is it to stand behind your products? Do you really think a customer wants to get a repair for a brand new purchase after 2 days? If you bought a car and the engine blew up after 48 hours, would you want to get an engine replacement or a brand new fucking car?

I'm so over it. This piece of shit is going back.
Are you in the U.S.? Almost every retailer gives you 30 days to return an item for a full refund. Best Buy I think gives you 2 weeks. Can't you just return it?
I know you said the vendor doesn't have the E8 in stock. If you don't want to wait until they do get some in stock you could just take your money and go to another retailer and buy it there. Or use your refund to buy another brand since your are so angry at LG.
Almost every manufacturer will attempt to repair the defective item before offering a complete replacement. It's just how they operate. If something goes wrong so soon after purchase I always opt to deal with the place that sold me the item rather than turn to the warranty.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Are you in the U.S.? Almost every retailer gives you 30 days to return an item for a full refund. Best Buy I think gives you 2 weeks. Can't you just return it?
I know you said the vendor doesn't have the E8 in stock. If you don't want to wait until they do get some in stock you could just take your money and go to another retailer and buy it there. Or use your refund to buy another brand since your are so angry at LG.
Almost every manufacturer will attempt to repair the defective item before offering a complete replacement. It's just how they operate. If something goes wrong so soon after purchase I always opt to deal with the place that sold me the item rather than turn to the warranty.
I am returning it. The vendor I bought it from doesn't have any more in stock and I got it when they were having a promotional price. It would cost me hundreds more to buy the same TV from another place right now. So maybe that would explain my state of less than happiness.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So I connected my pc to my b7 to get ready for Sekiro and I can't even set the resolution to 4k on the desktop. Can't find any hdr settings either.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
How do you have it connected?

pc>avr>tv.

A restart fixed it. For some reason my pc thought it was still hooked up to my monitor. I have atmos set up now, the only thing I need to figure out is hdr now. I see an hdr option in the windows 10 display settings but turning that on activates hdr while on the desktop. If I turn it off and launch an hdr game nothing happens. What's the trick to nailing hdr on pc? Using nvidia, if that helps.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
pc>avr>tv.

A restart fixed it. For some reason my pc thought it was still hooked up to my monitor. I have atmos set up now, the only thing I need to figure out is hdr now. I see an hdr option in the windows 10 display settings but turning that on activates hdr while on the desktop. If I turn it off and launch an hdr game nothing happens. What's the trick to nailing hdr on pc? Using nvidia, if that helps.
I haven't tried Sekiro but on ACO and Re2 I just turned it on in game and it turned in on in Windows. Some games are different though.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
pc>avr>tv.

RedlineRonin help!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
pc>avr>tv.

Unfortunately, the trick is it is different from game to game. For example, for Metro Exodus, you need to turn on hdr in windows first before going into the game, otherwise hdr won't turn on. I think with FF15 as well you need to turn on hdr in windows first. For something like a UBI game, or Resident Evil 2, or devil may cry 5, or an ea game, you can leave hdr turned off in windows and these games will auto detect hdr on start up. This method of auto detection is supposed to be becoming the norm for hdr gaming on windows but it isn't fully implemented yet. Not sure how Sekiro will deal with hdr as the game isn't released yet.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm going TV shopping tomorrow, leaning toward getting a 49" Sony X900F (55" is a bit too big for the room, otherwise I'd have considered the X950), but now I'm browsing Amazon tonight and see they have a 2019 43" X800G? Is this expected to be good, or not-so-great like the previous 800 models? Because I'd definitely prefer a 43" for this room instead of a 49" but not if it's a crappy TV.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm going TV shopping tomorrow, leaning toward getting a 49" Sony X900F (55" is a bit too big for the room, otherwise I'd have considered the X950), but now I'm browsing Amazon tonight and see they have a 2019 43" X800G? Is this expected to be good, or not-so-great like the previous 800 models? Because I'd definitely prefer a 43" for this room instead of a 49" but not if it's a crappy TV.

It wont be anywhere near as good as the X900F, specially in HDR content.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

My old Bravia bit the dust 2 days ago and I actually just bought a X900F this morning.

I am impatiently waiting for it to be delivered as we speak. It really did look great at the store.

I wanted an OLED screen and was prepared to pay a bit more but the prices in Japan are still fairly ridiculous. Even the damn 2017 models are still around $1700 usd. I never see deals on OLED models.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Ended up buying an X900F today. Gorgeous TV. I'm not going to hook it up until Sunday or Monday, as I want to get some cleaning and wire maintenance done around the area first. But the floor model at the store looked fantastic.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'm glad to still see some of that X900F love. Amazing TV with gorgeous picture quality. Going from my old 2010 LG 1080p to the 900F was minblowing.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to still see some of that X900F love. Amazing TV with gorgeous picture quality. Going from my old 2010 LG 1080p to the 900F was minblowing.
Yah it's solid -- I needed a 49" for one of my rooms and went with it. I'm looking forward to getting the soundbar for it too.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
ahh all these posts are killing me

its my 4 year wedding anniversary - flowers for her, appliance for me

wife told me to "just go buy your tv" - opting for the 55" X950G

Are you me?? my 2010 1080p LG is in its last legs. saw the x950g in stores and cant wait to get it in my home

Yah it's solid -- I needed a 49" for one of my rooms and went with it. I'm looking forward to getting the soundbar for it too.

what soundbar are you looking at?

im waiting for reviews of the sony ht x8500 - seems small, no external sub but supports earc for that auto lip sync

J75

Sep 29, 2018
What a coincidence, i also have the 49' one. Seems like all 3 of us got the same size, heh. 😃

I've also been curious in getting that soundbar too since im only currently using my TV speakers and my room is not big enough for a home theater setup.

Are you me?? my 2010 1080p LG is in its last legs. saw the x950g in stores and cant wait to get it in my home
Nice, that x950g looking really nice. Big improvement in input lag over the 900F especially at 1080p. Should make Switch games way more responsive.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ahh all these posts are killing me

its my 4 year wedding anniversary - flowers for her, appliance for me

wife told me to "just go buy your tv" - opting for the 55" X950G

what soundbar are you looking at?

im waiting for reviews of the sony ht x8500 - seems small, no external sub but supports earc for that auto lip sync

When even OLED owners praise the set you know its a good one :)

If I ever have to go back to LCD it would be my #1 choice. I just can't imagine paying what Samsung is asking for their Q8s or Q9s when those TVs don't support Dolby Vision. If you watch movies or Netflix originals at all, no DV should be a deal breaker.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017

If I ever have to go back to LCD it would be my #1 choice. I just can't imagine paying what Samsung is asking for their Q8s or Q9s when those TVs don't support Dolby Vision. If you watch movies or Netflix originals at all, no DV should be a deal breaker.
Why not the P Series Quantum?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good soundbar to go with the X900F, should I opt for one? The smaller the better, though not at the cost of quality.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
pc>avr>tv.

Leave everything in the Nvidia control panel on auto or default or whatever. As mentioned above (although generally an outlier) once in awhile you'll need to manually toggle HDR in windows control panel. The FFXV example kind of stands alone because even in "full screen" it's still running in borderless windowed. Generally speaking, leave all the nvcp color space and bit depth stuff to default and stuff should work fine as long as you're in full screen.

That being said, it's still kinda early days for hdr on pc. It won't always be perfect. It's a lot better than it was even a year or two ago tho.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Leave everything in the Nvidia control panel on auto or default or whatever. As mentioned above (although generally an outlier) once in awhile you'll need to manually toggle HDR in windows control panel. The FFXV example kind of stands alone because even in "full screen" it's still running in borderless windowed. Generally speaking, leave all the nvcp color space and bit depth stuff to default and stuff should work fine as long as you're in full screen.

That being said, it's still kinda early days for hdr on pc. It won't always be perfect. It's a lot better than it was even a year or two ago tho.

Got it, the only thing I changed was black level to limited because I have the tv set to low, as well as my pro and switch. I could always change it back and forth if I absolutely need to have it on high/full while playing on pc.

Sekiro worked as described earlier, it automatically went into hdr mode so that was pretty effortless. Seems to be a touch brighter than consoles, maybe placebo, not entirely sure there.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Yeah, I will end up watching more DV movies than taking advantage of VRR on a Samsung. The premium just isn't worth it to me.

My wife did just say 'make sure when we move to a bigger place, you won't need a new TV. so get the biggest size you can.'

had no idea a 65'' was even on the table... Endgame at home is going to be glorious.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The X900F really is glorious.
Had some incompetent delivery/tech guys fail to get the tv source to output through my home theater. Obviously, they said it wasnt supported (2017 Sony receiver and 2018 Sony tv...really?) and went on their way. Took me all of 10 minutes to figure out what they had done wrong.

Now I need to figure out what my best options for 4k streaming are inside Japan, and do some incremental updates to my PC to get it 4K ready.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Got it, the only thing I changed was black level to limited because I have the tv set to low, as well as my pro and switch. I could always change it back and forth if I absolutely need to have it on high/full while playing on pc.

Sekiro worked as described earlier, it automatically went into hdr mode so that was pretty effortless. Seems to be a touch brighter than consoles, maybe placebo, not entirely sure there.

Yep messing with black level is fine, just not with color/bit depth

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys... im looking to replace my current Retro gaming TV, a samsung dynaflat crt and found this

Sony Wega KV-24FS120 (24")

For 10$

I heard good things about these for retro gaming... good deal? Should i pick it up?
Hi0Dxok.jpg

Last edited:

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis

Just fired up Sekiro myself.

An interesting one...

It does indeed require me to manually turn on HDR in windows cp (a bummer, but not entirely a surprise) but it does toggle off when you close the game. That's the first time I've seen that.

This is another spot where it seems like Japanese devs in general have some work to do. It'll get better as they work with HDR more. That being said, at first blush, Sekiro's HDR is very unimpressive. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is another SDR -> HDR conversion versus true HDR. Will let EvilBoris be the final word on that tho.

Also worth noting, some Japanese devs have it figured out. Capcom in particular has delivered stellar HDR releases on PC. DMC V is absolutely incredible, and while I haven't played RE2 yet I understand that's also very good.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... im looking to replace my current Retro gaming TV, a samsung dynaflat crt and found this

Sony Wega KV-24FS120 (24")

For 10$

I heard good things about these for retro gaming... good deal? Should i pick it up?
Hi0Dxok.jpg

They are absolutely wonderful, especially if you have hardware outputting true 240 line low-res video.

Due to the flat tube, they can have some funky screen geometry on the top/side edges that might need a little finessing in the service menu.

Also they are fucking heavy.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm too on the verge of getting the XF900 but I would also like to have a TV with HDMI 2.1 for next gen. But my TV is about to die so I'm kinda in a hurry... (another LG from around 2012 lol)

Do the new 2019 midrange TVs (like the successors of NU8000 and XF900) have 2.1 or only the top of the line OLEDs?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm too on the verge of getting the XF900 but I would also like to have a TV with HDMI 2.1 for next gen. But my TV is about to die so I'm kinda in a hurry... (another LG from around 2012 lol)

Do the new 2019 midrange TVs (like the successors of NU8000 and XF900) have 2.1 or only the top of the line OLEDs?

What 2.1 features do you want? Only LG OLEDS and Samsung 8K TVs have true 2.1 right now, but the XF900 successor has eARC and some Samsung QLEDs have VRR.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What 2.1 features do you want? Only LG OLEDS and Samsung 8K TVs have true 2.1 right now, but the XF900 successor has eARC and some Samsung QLEDs have VRR.

well I was thinking about VRR for gaming, but I'm honestly not even sure if there's something more in 2.1., or if VRR is useful enough for consoles, I heard the VRR range on Samsung TVs is small...

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
well I was thinking about VRR for gaming, but I'm honestly not even sure if there's something more in 2.1., or if VRR is useful enough for consoles, I heard the VRR range on Samsung TVs is small...

I was in the same boat, but without knowing all the details of the Microsoft X2 we don't know how useful VRR will really be next gen for consoles. VRR on Samsung in 2018 was 48-60 FPS, don't know if that range has been expanded for 2019.

Personally, I didn't want to wait until 2020 and Sony eARC was enough of a 2.1 feature for me to go shopping this year.