• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
If there's someone with a Q9FN here as well with also Far Cry 5 or Battlefield 5 on Xbox One X, could you maybe do me a favor? I need to know if there's something with this panel because the flicker issue keeps appearing. At first it seemed it was only with certain games but that's not the case, it's solely with games in HDR though and I've used three different HDMI cables, the one that comes with the X, a high quality 4K cable by Cinnamon and a newly bought one from today.

I recorded the video while using game mode on TV with the default settings, which means sharpness at 10. But no matter, even at 5 or 1 I still see these flickerings which distract bigtime. When I turn HDR10 off its all gone and I can play fine with sharpness up to 10+ if I wanted.

Just need to know if I should call the store Monday.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm.

I saw something a little bit like this in Shadow if the Tomb Raider. It was like a pulsing if brightness, it was actually because of the motion blur or anti aliasing.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm.

I saw something a little bit like this in Shadow if the Tomb Raider. It was like a pulsing if brightness, it was actually because of the motion blur or anti aliasing.

So it could be game related after all? It's completely gone when I turn HDR10 off. I'm considering just doing that too. The thing is, on my Sony 930e I don't have this at all.

Oh and I tried it on my brother's Samsung KS7000 and no such issues either.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So it could be game related after all? It's completely gone when I turn HDR10 off. I'm considering just doing that too. The thing is, on my Sony 930e I don't have this at all.

Which does make it weird, it was super subtle and wasn't anything like what you have posted. Do you have the motion+ turned on?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I think you notice it more if you come from a plasma to an OLED, but you are right, I think it is yet another overblown issue.

I noticed it immediately coming from an LCD. That being said, motion on the 8 series is a lot better than the 7. Reviews mention it as a minor improvement but to me it was huge.

Oct 26, 2017
Which does make it weird, it was super subtle and wasn't anything like what you have posted. Do you have the motion+ turned on?

Nope I have all that disabled because for a game like this it will only bring artifacts. I do have freesync on and also tried it with off, no difference sadly.

It's so odd how I can really go up to line 15 sharpness if I wanted to in SDR and it's still not showing this effect.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
All games should have the option to make their HUD / static effects grayscale

I've been saying that since the start of the plasma days.
So it'll never happen. Haha.

I came from the very last US production plasma, from Panny's 2014 line. I was expecting the transition to be unbearable but I was completely wrong, it is hardly noticeable!

I also came from a 2014 VT60 plasma and while I do notice the worse motion, I'm ok with it. Just depends how sensitive you are to it.

But yeah. This oled is the best display I've ever had.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there's someone with a Q9FN here as well with also Far Cry 5 or Battlefield 5 on Xbox One X, could you maybe do me a favor? I need to know if there's something with this panel because the flicker issue keeps appearing. At first it seemed it was only with certain games but that's not the case, it's solely with games in HDR though and I've used three different HDMI cables, the one that comes with the X, a high quality 4K cable by Cinnamon and a newly bought one from today.

I recorded the video while using game mode on TV with the default settings, which means sharpness at 10. But no matter, even at 5 or 1 I still see these flickerings which distract bigtime. When I turn HDR10 off its all gone and I can play fine with sharpness up to 10+ if I wanted.

That looks super weird and I imagine super distracting while playing.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Oh and I tried it on my brother's Samsung KS7000 and no such issues either.

I didn't see anything in BFV's footage that looked like it would cause that to happen.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Are you talking about those square artifacts or the fact that the brightness is pulsing as you move?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed it immediately coming from an LCD. That being said, motion on the 8 series is a lot better than the 7. Reviews mention it as a minor improvement but to me it was huge.

Probably that funky new CoC in the 8 range. I don't have an issue with the motion on my B6 but it isn't as good as my Kuro was. It's good to hear it is improved still in more recent revisions.

Oct 26, 2017
Are you talking about those square artifacts or the fact that the brightness is pulsing as you move?

The brightness pulsing but here to me it's more like flickering. That other strange Square I have no idea what that is but usually I don't see that, lol. It's only with HDR games. I watched a YouTube video of someone with this TV and he was playing FC5 and showed his TV settings as well. Default game mode settings and I saw no flickering whatsoever.

I would exchange that panel for a new one if that happens in multiple games in HDR.

Yeah I'm really considering calling the store Monday. I have the TV for two weeks now so there's a chance the store will tell me to contact Samsung but we'll see.

In a few minutes I'm gonna test another game, Anthem alpha. See if I get that ugly crap there too.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Holy moly God of War looks amazing. My B7 isn't perfect, but this thing can produce some stunning images. The more time I spend with this display the easier it's getting to forget about my old Kuro lol.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The brightness pulsing but here to me it's more like flickering. That other strange Square I have no idea what that is but usually I don't see that, lol. It's only with HDR games. I watched a YouTube video of someone with this TV and he was playing FC5 and showed his TV settings as well. Default game mode settings and I saw no flickering whatsoever.

Yeah I'm really considering calling the store Monday. I have the TV for two weeks now so there's a chance the store will tell me to contact Samsung but we'll see.

In a few minutes I'm gonna test another game, Anthem alpha. See if I get that ugly crap there too.

Are you all up to date with firmware?

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
I came from the very last US production plasma, from Panny's 2014 line. I was expecting the transition to be unbearable but I was completely wrong, it is hardly noticeable! I am absolutely blown away - the C8 is, no contest, the nicest display I have ever seen in my life - plasma be damned. I have owned more than a dozen "top-of-the-line" displays in my life and none of them come close to touching the C8, not the plasmas, not the fancy g-sync or ultra-wide format monitors, not the CRTs. It's unreal.

I waited a long time before jumping into OLEDs and in retrospect I can't believe I was so hesitant. Consider me a believer.

I'm in the same boat too.

Ever since working and having disposable income, all the TVs I've bought have been top of the line at the time of purchase.

I've owned an amazing Triniton CRT, early Bravia HD LCD, Sony XBR with local dimming, Panasonic Plasma and now an OLED. The OLED is the first time where there are improvements across the board, rather that a mix of good and bad (especially with LCDs).

I was able to have my OLED and Plasma running side by side for a bit, and the improvements are instantly noticeable.

Last edited:

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
After reading through a lot of this thread, I am on the fence on what TV I should pull the trigger on.
I really would prefer a TV that is 80+ inches and my max budget is $3,500.
Looking at these big displays, I have come to the conclusion that my best option is the Sony x900f or x850f. Obviously the x900f is a better display, but finding it at that price point has seemed rather difficult. Best Buy had a great offer of the x850f at $2,700. The Samsung QLED at 82" seem good too, but the input lag seems a little high. I'd love if the Vizio P came in a bigger size, but with it 'only' being 75", my options seem really limited.
Anyone on ERA have any one of these displays? Thanks for the help!

Also, from what I remember years ago, January was always the best time to buy new displays as CES/new models were coming so the old models generally dropped in price. Is that still the case?

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After reading through a lot of this thread, I am on the fence on what TV I should pull the trigger on.
I really would prefer a TV that is 80+ inches and my max budget is $3,500.
Looking at these big displays, I have come to the conclusion that my best option is the Sony x900f or x850f. Obviously the x900f is a better display, but finding it at that price point has seemed rather difficult. Best Buy had a great offer of the x850f at $2,700. The Samsung QLED at 82" seem good too, but the input lag seems a little high. I'd love if the Vizio P came in a bigger size, but with it 'only' being 75", my options seem really limited.
Anyone on ERA have any one of these displays? Thanks for the help!

Also, from what I remember years ago, January was always the best time to buy new displays as CES/new models were coming so the old models generally dropped in price. Is that still the case?

Super bowl week should have some nice discounts.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I continue to be stunned by my C8 when watching 4k UHDs, and even UHD discs I've watched before, and today I was not alone in that feeling haha.

Today I had some friends over that watched an OLED screen for the first time and most asked me about the TV and why it looked so much better than any TV they have ever seen before.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I asked around on AVS about the flicker issue and someone said he plays BFV at the default game mode settings, which means sharpness is at 10. If I do that the flicker is insane. Another poster said he saw a similar issue in Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PC and now not anymore on his ZF9 TV. This shit is odd as hell.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I asked around on AVS about the flicker issue and someone said he plays BFV at the default game mode settings, which means sharpness is at 10. If I do that the flicker is insane. Another poster said he saw a similar issue in Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PC and now not anymore on his ZF9 TV. This shit is odd as hell.

I think this, along with those bad uniformity pics you showed us, is more than enough reason to have that TV returned to the store or replaced by the Samsung warranty.

You don't pay so much money for such glaring flaws that don't even seem common to that TV.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Android TV Oreo is a game changer on my 65 903e. The menu lag is finally gone. ill still use my Apple TV 4k for most things, but the built in Youtube finally has HDR support!

Oct 26, 2017
I think this, along with those bad uniformity pics you showed us, is more than enough reason to have that TV returned to the store or replaced by the Samsung warranty.

You don't pay so much money for such glaring flaws that don't even seem common to that TV.

That's very true. There's always the panel lottery and possibility that I get worse DSE but there's also a limit to this. It can't possibly be that my HDMI cables just aren't good enough or causing this? I've tried three different ones.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's very true. There's always the panel lottery and possibility that I get worse DSE but there's also a limit to this. It can't possibly be that my HDMI cables just aren't good enough or causing this? I've tried three different ones.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting bad DSE on a replacement. Samsung QA is usually really good so they don't let really bad screens usually get past them. You would have to be insanely unlucky to get another bad panel as a replacement.

If you've tried different cables, and with everything else you tried then I think its a faulty panel, no other logical conclusion.

Its always best to try and get a store replacement cause its much faster, and I think you're still in time for that.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Man, every time I look through this thread for an updated recommendation I get sad. I can't do over 49 inches in the space for the TV, and there's never any fantastic options for that size.

One day LED or QLED will be released at that size with low input lag for both 4k and 1080p. One day.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
I found something strange with RDR2. There's seem to be a lot more banding in the sky with the X version than the Pro.
Here's what the banding looks like on the X
hgfs3.jpg

No issue on Pro

Both consoles are hooked with the HD Fury Linker to the same input with the same settings. I wonder if it's the game who's at fault or if there's something wrong with the X output settings.

The only difference I can see is that when I read the info on the linker, I get this :

0kfmd.jpg

y7isg.jpg

The only difference is that ps4 output RGB limited while the X is full range RGB.

But I didn't select the full RGB option on the X and the TV is indeed set on RGB Low.
Is there a way to force RGB limited on the X?

Edit: I'm dumb, it's just that I have the brightness set at a higher level in the X version, lowering the brightness hide the banding.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found something strange with RDR2. There's seem to be a lot more banding in the sky with the X version than the Pro.
Here's what the banding looks like on the X

No issue on Pro

Both consoles are hooked with the HD Fury Linker to the same input with the same settings. I wonder if it's the game who's at fault or if there's something wrong with the X output settings.

The only difference I can see is that when I read the info on the linker, I get this :

0kfmd.jpg

y7isg.jpg

The only difference is that ps4 output RGB limited while the X is full range RGB.

But I didn't select the full RGB option on the X and the TV is indeed set on RGB Low.
Is there a way to force RGB limited on the X?

Edit: I'm dumb, it's just that I have the brightness set at a higher level in the X version, lowering the brightness hide the banding.

The PS4 version is crushing black detail in these pics and hence hiding the banding.

Oct 25, 2017
HyGIhlO.jpg

My 1,399 dollar super Black Friday sale Vizio PQ65-F1 arrived. This thing is incredible. I've never owned 4K anything before, but I researched for months on the TV to buy as my first 'TV' I owned myself and for my first, new home, and for 1400 this was a complete no brainer.

I noticed a couple scenarios on the PS4 and Switch when plugged in re: color banding, but 4K UHD blurays don't have this issue and look stellar. The banding is fairly minor on the game consoles so I can pretty much ignore it most of the time, but are there any particular tweaks to do on this to remove it?

I adjusted each input to have its own special settings - the UHD player input, for example, has Film Mode on and color tweaks, and the Game Mode version tweaks for the console inputs are slightly different.

I also have to say, Smash still looks freaking amazing on this even though it's not native 4k.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about getting bad DSE on a replacement. Samsung QA is usually really good so they don't let really bad screens usually get past them. You would have to be insanely unlucky to get another bad panel as a replacement.

If you've tried different cables, and with everything else you tried then I think its a faulty panel, no other logical conclusion.

Its always best to try and get a store replacement cause its much faster, and I think you're still in time for that.

Yep I tried with the standard X cable, a high quality one that set me back like 80 dollars a few years ago and a brand new one just to be sure. It's now a little more than two weeks that I bought the TV, and I'm not sure what the policies of these stores are but they did come off like a reasonable store to me.

Only thing that sucks so much with these huge and heavy TVs is packing it all back in. I'm probably gonna ask my neighbor to help this time.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
My 1,399 dollar super Black Friday sale Vizio PQ65-F1 arrived. This thing is incredible. I've never owned 4K anything before, but I researched for months on the TV to buy as my first 'TV' I owned myself and for my first, new home, and for 1400 this was a complete no brainer.

IKEA TV cabinet, represent!

Just bought one of those to rehome my old plasma into the family room. Previously had a little cheapo 32" LCD in the corner. Always struggled to play Destiny on that as the screen was so small! Nice to finally have two proper TV and gaming spaces in the house.

Last edited:

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Sooo my HDMI ARC (LG OLED C8) is working now even with the sound setting set to Automatic. I deactivated one setting in the simplink option (the one about synchronizing the devices) and I don't get any audio drops anymore. I also did some cable management, so maybe the HDMI cable now sits properly or whatever.

Picture:
XEmIPrx.jpg

Update: Nope, still got some audio drops, yay...

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I've got a problem with my ARC on an LG HDMI set. I've got the Xbox One X hooked up to HDMI1, our set top box hooked up to HDMI3, and the sound bar is connected to HDMI2 to give it the Arc connection. ARC works fine with the built-in live TV and with the Xbox - sounds great - but whenever it's connected to the set top box I'm not getting ARC, just regular TV speakers. Everything looks as it should, but I must be missing something. Any ideas?

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered a Sony 65 AF8 (A8F in the US). I know it's not the best for gaming, but my gf likes the design of the Sonys so she allowed me to get the 65" model instead of the 55". The AF9 looks very nice, but too expensive right now. Paid CHF 2499.-, that's $2500 including taxes.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I've got a problem with my ARC on an LG HDMI set. I've got the Xbox One X hooked up to HDMI1, our set top box hooked up to HDMI3, and the sound bar is connected to HDMI2 to give it the Arc connection. ARC works fine with the built-in live TV and with the Xbox - sounds great - but whenever it's connected to the set top box I'm not getting ARC, just regular TV speakers. Everything looks as it should, but I must be missing something. Any ideas?

Do you have to change a setting in cable box to output differently maybe?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Might depend which LG model it is but ARC is HDMI 1 only on my B6. So connect your amp to HDMI 1 and all the other devices to the other inputs.

Oct 26, 2017
God I'm such a stupid idiot. I was making such a big fuss over not having Freesync if I hook up my Xbox X to the to the receiver instead of the Q9FN connect box. Turns out I was wrong all this time. I CAN enable Freesync on the TV, but I can not enable VRR on Xbox.

So in the case of Shadow of the Tomb Raider on X the screen tearing is gone thanks to Freesync. I however can not have VRR. But how big of a deal is this anyway on X? I assume slightly lower input lag? Which is already damn good on this TV.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I'm such a stupid idiot. I was making such a big fuss over not having Freesync if I hook up my Xbox X to the to the receiver instead of the Q9FN connect box. Turns out I was wrong all this time. I CAN enable Freesync on the TV, but I can not enable VRR on Xbox.

So in the case of Shadow of the Tomb Raider on X the screen tearing is gone thanks to Freesync. I however can not have VRR. But how big of a deal is this anyway on X? I assume slightly lower input lag? Which is already damn good on this TV.

VRR and Freesync are the same thing, Freesync is a form of VRR.

And are you running the game in high performance mode (1080p/60)? cause the game wont reach the freesync range (48-60fps) in high resolution mode (4k/30).

Oct 26, 2017

And are you running the game in high performance mode (1080p/60)? cause the game wont reach the freesync range (48-60fps) in high resolution mode (4k/30).

Hahah, oh man these two keep getting me confused, so it's all the same after all.

I'm running Shadow in 4K mode. I was exploring the big open city hub and it used to have plenty of nasty screen tearing. That is gone now, really thought it was the freesync doing that. Guess they patched it then.

So really, if I run all the X games in resolution mode... Freesync really won't benefit me much, if at all? Because then I'll stick with this set up, no audio delay is very welcome. Too bad I won't see the Xbox logo in the Samsung UI but ah well.

And I guess it makes sense that the option is available on the TV but not Xbox. At least I still have the low latency mode.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
Has anybody heard of the 4K screen OK. ODL 40650UV-TIB? I can't find anything regarding input lag or anything... It's very cheap (279 euros), so that is why I'm kind of wary :P

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear. Panasonic doing well in that regard is what I've gathered as well, and it's one of the reasons I want one.

I've had a few sets with bad uniformity, but it's primarily the bad near black handling, bad motion interpolation and terrible Game Mode which is making me switch brands.
Fair warning, since I wrote that post visible banding has reared it's ugly head on my panel :(

Really quite annoyed since I was very careful to check panel uniformity before the two week return period was up. I wasn't aware banding could appear suddenly like this.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Fair warning, since I wrote that post visible banding has reared it's ugly head on my panel :(

Really quite annoyed since I was very careful to check panel uniformity before the two week return period was up. I wasn't aware banding could appear suddenly like this.
No!? That sucks! Just out of nowhere? That sounds really weird. Usually banding seems to get better over time - not worse..

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
My LG C8 arrives tomorrow!

Anyone have any tips for settings or initial setup that I should consider? I know one thing I keep reading about is that Dynamic Tone Mapping helps brighten up the image in HDR games, so I'll explore that a bit. Otherwise, do people tend to stick with RTings settings? Any other sites I should check out for that kind of info?

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
No!? That sucks! Just out of nowhere? That sounds really weird. Usually banding seems to get better over time - not worse..
Well...

Yeah, out of nowhere. There has always been *minor* banding at 2-5% grey but it is barely noticeable after that.

Suddenly, when navigating the Xbox One UI (a notorious banding litmus test) I noticed it. Two really obvious bands all the way up to 20% grey!

E4iYDAM.jpg

They were noticeable when watching dark content like horror films. Cue one short panel maintenance cycle later and...

2RmEqnu.jpg

Gone! I checked the Xbox UI to make sure, and nothing there either.

I don't know if I should be happy or even more concerned!

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Xbox One (and Samsung 2018's) don't support LFC? Aren't they FreeSync2 displays, which would mean that LFC is in the spec?