• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Furio

Oct 25, 2017
I also didn't like Warm2, but I've settled on Warm1. Standard was just a bit too blue tinted for me. I also re-read their settings today and I realized that I never checked the Eco settings that control auto-brightness, so I'm going to check that when I get home and make sure the TV isn't dimming itself on me!
lol yeah if you had the eco setting on, it was a huge difference for me.

MetsFanAtShea

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone with the UE49NU8000 (or bigger sizes, assuming that's the only difference between the models)? I'm thinking of buying a TV at that price range and it seems like a solid one? Are there newer ones that I should be looking at? I only have a base PS4 and my GPU can't handle 4K either (GTX 970), but it seems like a solid investment and HDR would be nice for the PS4

I have the U.S. 55 inch model and am enjoy it allot. I game about 12 hours per week and do another 3-4 hours for movie viewing. No problems out of the box at all. Easy set up, smart apps are great, XBox gaming is really awesome + using the motion plus feature seriously makes these games feel like theyre rolling along at 60 fps. I did hget the UBK90 4K bluray player,very nice picture so far. The upscaling on BluRays is really good also.
For older films I often use the apps on the tv that came installed and watch allot of old vintage tv stuff,Battlestar Galactica,MIami Vice, Six million dollar man, and for those turning on the fast motion feature to smooth out older media is really great. Thats one of the big things I like about the tv here,you use this feature in gaming and movies and its such a game changer in my eyes. Makes everything so much smoother,really like it allot.
Speakers are decent enough,not great but decent. I often turn up the volume to 80 when I watch films(tv set in in a small bedroom) with the peak volume setting being at 100. So it does its job in the sound department decently but if you're moving this to a large front room then maybe a pair of blutooth speakers or a soundbar would be a better choice.
I grabbed my set for $750 at Best Buy,free delivery,no regrets. I'm along the lines of a 70% gaming, 30% movie and old vintage tv shows type of user. I can see myself enjoying this set for years to come,not a stop gap or tide me over type set. Picture quality is nice.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Question, if I want to hook my Switch up to a 1080i 16:9 Trinitron CRT, how should I hook it up? Switch only outputs at 1080p or 720p right?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Is that bad? :P Maybe i'll try it again and mess with it, but it looked washed out and dim -edit - maybe not washed out, but like a brown filter lol

Not "bad", just inaccurate. I'm all for everyone using whatever settings they want on their TV but I think everyone should at least give Warm color temps a shot. It really only takes a day or so to adjust and afterwards you'll see just how odd the cool temps look.

Plus for me personally, HDR on Vivid/Standard settings is just blinding as far as brightness goes.

Furio

Oct 25, 2017
Not "bad", just inaccurate. I'm all for everyone using whatever settings they want on their TV but I think everyone should at least give Warm color temps a shot. It really only takes a day or so to adjust and afterwards you'll see just how odd the cool temps look.

Plus for me personally, HDR on Vivid/Standard settings is just blinding as far as brightness goes.

Yeah you may be right. I'll give it a shot and see if I adjust. I do want the best picture possible, not just what initially looks best to me.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
OLED brethren, is haunting at hill house worth watching on the C8 or is it something I could enjoy when commuting? Atmospheric show?

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
A thought just crossed my mind.

The new Calman Autocal for 2018 LG OLEDs might actually fix the SDR Game Mode, since the calibration happens automatically on hardware-level.

Might actually buy a C8 now.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I read the article you linked here and I read another article linked there: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

As well as other sources, now different sources give you different viewing distances, for instance, according to the American visual reproduction standard, THX, the best field of view is worked out by dividing the size of your TV screen in inches by .84, which gives me this: 58in = 69.04in, 5.6ft, 1.70688 meters. https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1404630/what-size-tv-should-i-buy

Other soruces give other distances too and then there's the whole angle thing, it's very confusing.

I understand but I think it is important to remember that this is not an exact science. The rtings article I linked to tries to delve into the science involved to explain their recommendations but even so, that is all they are: recommendations. I think their real benefit is for the individual to use their recommendation as a starting point and then tweak it as necessary to what works best for them. These are suggestions, not, YOU MUST DO THIS!!! I would try it at the 2-2.5 m you mentioned and see how you get on with that. My 55" OLED is arriving tomorrow with my 4K player so I shall be going through this trial and error process myself. I don't expect to find the optimum distance for me straight away even using the rtings article as a starting point. If I could conjure up Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory to calculate the optimum spot I would. Then I would send him on to you. My magic wand is not behaving however. Sorry.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I understand but I think it is important to remember that this is not an exact science. The rtings article I linked to tries to delve into the science involved to explain their recommendations but even so, that is all they are: recommendations. I think their real benefit is for the individual to use their recommendation as a starting point and then tweak it as necessary to what works best for them. These are suggestions, not, YOU MUST DO THIS!!! I would try it at the 2-2.5 m you mentioned and see how you get on with that. My 55" OLED is arriving tomorrow with my 4K player so I shall be going through this trial and error process myself. I don't expect to find the optimum distance for me straight away even using the rtings article as a starting point. If I could conjure up Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory to calculate the optimum spot I would. Then I would send him on to you. My magic wand is not behaving however. Sorry.
I loled, thanks anyway, but yeah, I'll experiment with it for a while and see where it lands.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
lol

Some people are looking to validate/justify their fears I guess.

I own and love OLEDs, and Plasmas old and new before it. You talk as if it's completely unjustified. I've had two OLEDs that never had burn in issue, and one that has. It's not a matter of "oh it's so rare it'll never happen or it's overblown." Some TV screens are simply more prone to it than others, its partially random luck, even with all the safeguarding technology that has been added through the years.

You are probably right with some people, they might be validating themselves. But your silly attitude is just as bad if not worse. Some people just don't want to worry about it. I use both OLEDs (main living room) and LCDs (kids rooms/spare rooms). It's easier and more comfortable for me to have my kids using the LCDs just for my own peace of mind. People can have logical reasons for not wanting an OLED, don't sound so insecure.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Been trying to capture the magenta tint on B7 on an all white screen with my camera, and it seems to be impossible lol. Not sure if I should gamble with an eexchange or just deal with ir.

Oct 27, 2017
Question, if I want to hook my Switch up to a 1080i 16:9 Trinitron CRT, how should I hook it up? Switch only outputs at 1080p or 720p right?
If it's one of the beautiful Sony sets (the 34XBR960 or 34XBR970 to be precise) then they accepted a 720P signal which is what I would use as it looked better than sending it a 1080i signal from the Xbox 360 era and it doesn't support a 1080P signal obviously..

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will, I will, jeez...

It has a dark and subdued look.

I didn't think it looked bad at all, but you can probably watch it on something else if you wanted.

Of course its gonna look best on your C8 tho :)

Keep an eye out for a few scenes in episode 9 and 10, its so dark and so little movement happening that your TV will think there is nothing happening and slowly dim itself, it "wakes up" by pressing anything on the remote.
Its a fantastic story, highly recommended.

Been trying to capture the magenta tint on B7 on an all white screen with my camera, and it seems to be impossible lol. Not sure if I should gamble with an eexchange or just deal with ir.

Did you notice it before? Maybe try to replicate how it happened.

If it doesn't then even better for you!

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
How is Best Buy's extended warranty for TVs? They normally helpful when you have issues? Debating between the 2 and 5 year geek squad coverage. Figure also see how people's experience has been with them.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
How is Best Buy's extended warranty for TVs? They normally helpful when you have issues? Debating between the 2 and 5 year geek squad coverage. Figure also see how people's experience has been with them.

Best Buy has the only warranty worth a damn if you ask me, especially for OLEDs. They cover burn-in if you're paranoid about that along with any type of accidental damage.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy has the only warranty worth a damn if you ask me, especially for OLEDs. They cover burn-in if you're paranoid about that along with any type of accidental damage.
Alright cool! Not too worried about burn in. Just if I ever do need the warranty it'll be nice to know they're helpful. Appreciate your time and info!

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
A thought just crossed my mind.

The new Calman Autocal for 2018 LG OLEDs might actually fix the SDR Game Mode, since the calibration happens automatically on hardware-level.

Might actually buy a C8 now.
It does. Since you normally cannot adjust the grayscale or cms in game mode, the auto cal allows for LUT calibration. I would only suggest doing a 1D LUT though and only for game mode. The other modes you are better off calibrating manually. If you do decide to do a 3D LUT do a lighting or Matrix. Do not do IRP. they added another method I believe but I haven't tried it yet. To much drift and you have to be able to handle the temp change and drift which they added options for as well but it takes anywhere between 6-10 hrs to complete a full 4500+ patch LUT. Matrix will get you close, Lighting will get you closer but takes a few hours to complete.

Either way a 1D LUT will completely correct the grayscale. Otherwise it cannot really be matched to calibrated mode since it is inaccurate as all hell to begin with and without being able to adjust grayscale and CMS some might think they can get it close but a meter will tell otherwise. The only way to adjust it without is through the service menu and doing a 2PT W/B

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
It does. Since you normally cannot adjust the grayscale or cms in game mode, the auto cal allows for LUT calibration. I would only suggest doing a 1D LUT though and only for game mode. The other modes you are better off calibrating manually. If you do decide to do a 3D LUT do a lighting or Matrix. Do not do IRP. they added another method I believe but I haven't tried it yet. To much drift and you have to be able to handle the temp change and drift which they added options for as well but it takes anywhere between 6-10 hrs to complete a full 4500+ patch LUT. Matrix will get you close, Lighting will get you closer but takes a few hours to complete.

Either way a 1D LUT will completely correct the grayscale. Otherwise it cannot really be matched to calibrated mode since it is inaccurate as all hell to begin with and without being able to adjust grayscale and CMS some might think they can get it close but a meter will tell otherwise. The only way to adjust it without is through the service menu and doing a 2PT W/B
Thank you! My biggest pet peeve with the LG OLEDs finally has a work-around then - great news.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with the UE49NU8000 (or bigger sizes, assuming that's the only difference between the models)? I'm thinking of buying a TV at that price range and it seems like a solid one? Are there newer ones that I should be looking at? I only have a base PS4 and my GPU can't handle 4K either (GTX 970), but it seems like a solid investment and HDR would be nice for the PS4

Worth noting out that the 49 model has a 60 hz panel, rest of sizes is 120. If you can, get the 55'.

I think the 49'Q6FN is a 49'' 120hz panel (one of the few it seems :(), but it's probably more expensive...

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
I think I will try asking my questions one at a time instead. :lol

Is bias lighting worth it for OLED?

It's really cheap so I'm not too concerned either way, but I figure I might as well go all out at this point for even the smallest potential improvement.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I will try asking my questions one at a time instead. :lol

Is bias lighting worth it for OLED?

It's really cheap so I'm not too concerned either way, but I figure I might as well go all out at this point for even the smallest potential improvement.
OLEDs are already capable of displaying perfect blacks and have infinite:1 contrast ratios. Bias lighting won't do anything for them beyond aesthetics, kind of like painting a racing stripe on your Camry.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
OLEDs are already capable of displaying perfect blacks and have infinite:1 contrast ratios. Bias lighting won't do anything for them beyond aesthetics, kind of like painting a racing stripe on your Camry.

Why wouldn't it reduce eye fatigue on an OLED just like it would on an LED? I'm not advocating you do it on an OLED but some people suffer from eye fatigue (not a visual improvement but an enjoyment improvement to some)

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Hey TV knowers, I got a cyber Monday deal on a Vizio P Series and it has this setting called "Active Full Array™" that can be set to off, low, medium, or high -- and I haven't been able to find any information about what it does. I haven't thought about TV technology for about 6 years so I'm a little in the dark, but I gather it has something to do with local dimming. Anybody know what I should be looking for when adjusting this setting?

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Why wouldn't it reduce eye fatigue on an OLED just like it would on an LED? I'm not advocating you do it on an OLED but some people suffer from eye fatigue (not a visual improvement but an enjoyment improvement to some)

From my understanding bias lighting is typically used to increase the perceived contrast ratio for LCD tv's, at least that's the reason I put bias lighting in for my LCD in the living room.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with bias lighting on OLEDs, I want to try it myself just because it looks baller as hell.

Oct 26, 2017
A new day and I learn something new about the Q9FN, hahaha.

I unintentionally started using the smart remote on the Xbox One X dashboard and it actually worked. Wtf? I can just navigate anywhere on Xbox with this thing.

How?