• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
looks like the left part of the panel is bad, because of the visible lines, can you not replace it? but then again you might get a worse screen

I figured as much. Just wasn't sure what a *good* TCL panel looks like, ya know? Wasn't sure if mine was more like the average or of it's pretty bad and an outlier for what I can expect.

I can replace it through Amazon for sure within the first 30 days of purchase which this will fall under, but yeah, I just dunno if my screen is more on the good side of the lottery or the bad.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
My manufacturing date says April 2018. :/ Is the June 2018 date you asked about an important one?

I'm curious what you and anyone else think. I'm gonna post the picture I took earlier of my screen.. I was watching a Youtube video of a grayscale uniformity 50% test on the TV. Really highlighted the banding by doing so. This isn't the most scientific method, I'm sure, but it captures what I've seen adequately enough.

Anyway, here's the picture:

Those three-four vertical lines on the left side are incredibly pronounced in games with lots of solid colors.. I noticed it a lot playing Pokemon Let's Go and Spyro Reignited, since they're very colorful games but there isn't a lot of, for lack of a better phrase, color diversity on the screen. Of course it also shows up on any solid color background like PS4 option screens and stuff as well.

What're your thoughts? Curious what yours looks like in comparison.

Mine was Manufactured in June. I was just guessing that after initial reports they tried to tidy up their panel problems.

I'm going to upload mine now

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I figured as much. Just wasn't sure what a *good* TCL panel looks like, ya know? Wasn't sure if mine was more like the average or of it's pretty bad and an outlier for what I can expect.

I can replace it through Amazon for sure within the first 30 days of purchase which this will fall under, but yeah, I just dunno if my screen is more on the good side of the lottery or the bad.

splotches like the one on the right are ok, now if the left side can be like the right side then it is ok

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Mine was Manufactured in June. I was just guessing that after initial reports they tried to tidy up their panel problems.

I'm going to upload mine now

I figure you're right tbh. Shame you can't request them get you the newest manufacturing date when you order online. >_< Alright, cool!

splotches like the one on the right are ok, now if the left side can be like the right side then it is ok

Yeah, I don't know what I could do to make that go away.. Tried a microfiber cloth and massaged that area of the Tv earlier a bit but it didn't do anything. Bleh.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I figure you're right tbh. Shame you can't request them get you the newest manufacturing date when you order online. >_< Alright, cool!

Yeah, I don't know what I could do to make that go away.. Tried a microfiber cloth and massaged that area of the Tv earlier a bit but it didn't do anything. Bleh.
7ta0l1T.jpg

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
65 colour for any accurate HDR mode, starts to make it look cartoony, switching to and from game HDR to calibrated Cinema, has them virtually indistinguishable with those settings.

Remember dynamic contrast at medium will slightly wash out, due to the gamma lift.
Sorry, but when tested with a lot of HDR games and movies, just switching back and forth from calibrated HDR Technicolor Expert (with Color at 55) to HDR Game what made them equal visually was only when setting the latter to Color 65, Temp W45 (this when using Dynamic Contrast set to Medium at least). Both color gradients and saturation looked exactly the same between the two.

For SDR Game was Color 40, Temp W45, even if with forced Wide gamut of this profile the reds have still more push.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy just took another $100 off the TCL 65R615 making it $800 before tax. Would I be a fool not to jump in at that price?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How bad are VA TVs viewing angles? like, for example, if you have a 3 seat couch and the TV is in the middle, will the people sitting at the sides have worse IQ?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so, I need advice. I will be moving soon so that means moving my 55" LG B7. I do not have the original packaging as in order for it to fit in my car Best Buy employees had to remove it from it's packaging, but keeping the protective thin foam around it, and wrapped it up in bubblewrap. I know OLED screens are delicate so I want to make sure I'm moving it right. To move it I assume repeating the same method Best Buy did would be best, however I don't have that thin foam anymore nor do I know exactly what it's called. Can I get it at Lowe's or something?

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a C8, really worried about UI burn in with my extended periods of play. Has me a bit scared and looking at QLEDS. Any advice?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, but when tested with a lot of HDR games and movies, just switching back and forth from calibrated HDR Technicolor Expert (with Color at 55) to HDR Game what made them equal visually was only when setting the latter to Color 65, Temp W45 (this when using Dynamic Contrast set to Medium at least). Both color gradients and saturation looked exactly the same between the two.

For SDR Game was Color 40, Temp W45, even if with forced Wide gamut of this profile the reds have still more push.

For me it's oversaturated, some games verge on garish, and it definitely doesn't look like calibrated cinema mode, also using DC medium actually makes the PQ lack contrast, for example inside the house in RE7, the dark glow in hallways near lamps loses that dim look against the bright lights with DC medium, as the gamma is stretched thus contrast is reduced and the look and feel is lost.

Each to their own though, I just want my pic to be like what I already have for movies, and if you can stick close to that, then you're on to a winner imo.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a C8, really worried about UI burn in with my extended periods of play. Has me a bit scared and looking at QLEDS. Any advice?

There's a section about it in the OP.

For the most part its nothing to worry about, but if you feel you will worry too much about it then the worry becomes worse than the actual chance of burn in haha.

What games do you usually play? Maybe I can easy your mind.

BayonettasBuddy

Verified
Oct 30, 2017
how long are you going to play?

I'll do gaming sessions about 10-14 hours long, max.

There's a section about it in the OP.

For the most part its nothing to worry about, but if you feel you will worry too much about it then the worry becomes worse than the actual chance of burn in haha.

What games do you usually play? Maybe I can easy your mind.

I play tons of stuff from overwatch to darkwood to rocket league. I'll check out the OP. I may just be worrying too much.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Everytime I power on my Q9 it also powers on the Xbox. I don't want this. Where in the TV settings do I disable this?

I think this is called C.E.C. I don't have a Q9 but have a look through the settings for that. It's a way for the user to control several HDMI connected devices using just the one remote. If it's not that then I apologise and hope someone else can put you on the right path.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so, I need advice. I will be moving soon so that means moving my 55" LG B7. I do not have the original packaging as in order for it to fit in my car Best Buy employees had to remove it from it's packaging, but keeping the protective thin foam around it, and wrapped it up in bubblewrap. I know OLED screens are delicate so I want to make sure I'm moving it right. To move it I assume repeating the same method Best Buy did would be best, however I don't have that thin foam anymore nor do I know exactly what it's called. Can I get it at Lowe's or something?

Uhaul sells something similar, it's just called a flat screen TV cover. When I moved recently, I basically did the same. Thin foam layer + bubble wrap + blankets and pillows surrounding the TV to keep it from sliding around in my backseat.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I have no store close to check :/

Anyways I noticed a lot of 49 models have 60 hz instead of 120, whats up with that?

Seems like nowadays you have to buy a 55 size but I literally can't fit that :(

if you check the rtings.com site, they will do an viewing angle/degree comparison of the TV sets

are you sure it won't fit? 6 inch difference is not so big

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
if you check the rtings.com site, they will do an viewing angle/degree comparison of the TV sets

are you sure it won't fit? 6 inch difference is not so big

Yeah its like 15 cms more and 49' are already close to use all space I had.

Think I'm gonna wait and see if 49' Oleds comes next year. Thanks for the help.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are long ass times.
I personally wouldn't get an oled if I were you and I love them if it's the same game during those sessions.

Agreed. If it is the same game you are playing for that stretch of time probably not wise to go OLED. If it's different games, don't worry. I've put 100+ hours into games with static HUDs and had zero issues, but I appreciate that is nothing compared to some RPG or multiplayer games.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I have a Samsung PNF8500 plasma, and I keep going back and forth on whether I want to sell it for an OLED display or not. Someone tell me what to do

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a LG C8 and having signal issues with the ps4 Pro. Are there any guides on what settings should be set to on both sides? If I turn the Ultra HD thing on on the TV it doesn't find the ps4 signal. When I turn it off the ps4 signal drops in and out.

Oct 28, 2017
Brehs, trying to set up the new Integral 2 here on my C7. How do I connect it with my soundbar if I wanna keep using ARC?

Also, do I upload custom metadata while the Integral is connected to my pc and then connect the device to my tv again or how does that work? I'm a noob when it comes to this...

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Samsung PNF8500 plasma, and I keep going back and forth on whether I want to sell it for an OLED display or not. Someone tell me what to do

Went from a 2010 Panasonic Plasma to a C8 and it has been a massive upgrade in every way for me other than motion. The motion on Plasma was unbelievable and is a step down on OLED, but nothing that is even noticeable after a little tinkering and some time getting used to it

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Sell it for an OLED display.

My OLED is arriving tomorrow and I shall be going from a plasma so I shall let you know what I think soon.

Went from a 2010 Panasonic Plasma to a C8 and it has been a massive upgrade in every way for me other than motion. The motion on Plasma was unbelievable and is a step down on OLED, but nothing that is even noticeable after a little tinkering and some time getting used to it
Perfect, thanks guys! What would be the best avenue to sell my current TV? Craigslist?

BayonettasBuddy

Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Those are long ass times.
I personally wouldn't get an oled if I were you (and I love them) if it's the same game during those sessions.

I'd get a QLED, if you can afford it, the Q9FN , it's a great TV

Agreed. If it is the same game you are playing for that stretch of time probably not wise to go OLED. If it's different games, don't worry. I've put 100+ hours into games with static HUDs and had zero issues, but I appreciate that is nothing compared to some RPG or multiplayer games.

Yeah, i don't do this frequently, but I know once every month or so I'll go on a mad gaming binge. I generally tend to only do this with one set game that I'm enjoying at the time. Regularly end up doing 6hr stints on rocket league into the early hours of the morning though

Will check out QLEDs :) thanks for the help!

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yeah, i don't do this frequently, but I know once every month or so I'll go on a mad gaming binge. I generally tend to only do this with one set game that I'm enjoying at the time. Regularly end up doing 6hr stints on rocket league into the early hours of the morning though

Will check out QLEDs :) thanks for the help!
That Samsung is a top tier LCD, so it's not like you'll be hurting much. :)

Oct 26, 2017
As amazing as the Q9FN is, it isn't perfect, no TV is.

While watching The Terror on Amazon Prime, which is a show that takes place in nothing but snow and ice I really noticed a green tinge effect. The snow should be white as can be, but it really isn't. I noticed this especially when a fully white background was being displayed. The green tinge was definitely noticeable and I even saw what I believe is called some slight DSE.

I'm not gonna return it because it isn't bad enough by any means yet, but it's still unfortunate that TVs are still suffering from these things.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting my 75" Q9FN on wednesday, just praying it's a keeper with as little DSE as possible.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As amazing as the Q9FN is, it isn't perfect, no TV is.

While watching The Terror on Amazon Prime, which is a show that takes place in nothing but snow and ice I really noticed a green tinge effect. The snow should be white as can be, but it really isn't. I noticed this especially when a fully white background was being displayed. The green tinge was definitely noticeable and I even saw what I believe is called some slight DSE.

I'm not gonna return it because it isn't bad enough by any means yet, but it's still unfortunate that TVs are still suffering from these things.

There is the magenta and green adjustment, maybe move it away from green a tiny bit to offset it.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Man, there's a cooking show on Netflix called The Final Table thats presented in 4K/DV. This thing is reference material eye candy.