• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
You sure it's not the other way around? LED's should have no chance going against an OLED. Also make sure you're playing in SDR, not HDR.
I'm talking about SDR. I've owned four different OLEDs and just bought a X900E. Even though the black level itself can't be compared between the two sets, the difference in shadow details is huge. I had to turn the RDR in-game brightness slider up several notches to avoid black crush on the OLED (even though it's calibrated), but that also washed out the picture. With the Sony, the default brightness is perfect. Great, punchy picture, but with lots of shadow detail as well. The difference surprised me too tbh.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
8 feet away, 65" looks just about perfect from this distance.

Size, my B7 is 55" and looked too small in my current set-up. If I had gone 65" last year when I bought the B7, I would have been more than fine keeping it as my main tv for another few years.

Ah, similar to what I did last year.

Jun 18, 2018
I'm going to be looking for a 55" in the Black Friday sales (in Europe), but not looking to spend too much (ideally under £700) as it's probably going to be a stop gap until 2020/21 and I can pick up something alittle more futurerproof alongside a next-gen console (Team 2020!!!).

So, is the LG 55K8100PLA a good choice? I know it's not OLED, but at £700, I wonder if it's good or i cheaper UHD tvs may be a better option considering it's a short term purchase?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Can anyone give me a hand? I'm a bit confused regarding this LG OLED models, in terms of panel they are all the same right..? I'm only interested to see Netflix & gaming so it doesn't matter which model I get right?

2017-2018 models the differences don't really convince to focus on a 2018 model...

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone give me a hand? I'm a bit confused regarding this LG OLED models, in terms of panel they are all the same right..? I'm only interested to see Netflix & gaming so it doesn't matter which model I get right?

2017-2018 models the differences don't really convince to focus on a 2018 model...
The 2018 models have a clear advantage for gaming. Wether or not that is worth the price difference only you can decide

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Looking at the LG B8 and not sure whether to dip on that or the C8. Will be using the TV in the living room for video games and movies. Any help?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the LG B8 and not sure whether to dip on that or the C8. Will be using the TV in the living room for video games and movies. Any help?

Spent a ton of time researching both models - the price difference didn't seem worth it to get the C8 over the B8. It seems like you would REALLY have to know what to look for in order to spot any differences.

If you can get a killer deal on the B8, go for it. I absolutely love mine.

Just stick with the 2018 models over the 2017 - huge difference in HDR gaming brightness levels.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Spent a ton of time researching both models - the price difference didn't seem worth it to get the C8 over the B8. It seems like you would REALLY have to know what to look for in order to spot any differences.

If you can get a killer deal on the B8, go for it. I absolutely love mine.

Just stick with the 2018 models over the 2017 - huge difference in HDR gaming brightness levels.

Are you saying there are 2017/18 versions of the B8? Any way to decipher between the two?

Seeing the deal on John Lewis online and am tempted to bite...

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Classic debate question. Quality vs size?

Specifically for me, currently have an LG OLED gallery tv as main TV. It's the one with the speaker frame. TV has been great, but ultimately moved some years ago and it being 55 inches has been limiting as it's now in a much larger room. So starting to soft look at TVs and debating between going with a new LG OLED (65 inch) OR going for a much larger Samsung QLED (75 inch or 82 inch) which I know the picture quality won't match the OLED but even at the larger sizes, will come in cheaper than the OLED.

What do folks on ERA think if had to make the same choice?

Also, since losing the speaker frame either way, will feel obligated to get an av receiver and some speakers for decent sound.

So I just did a slight downgrade from my 55" Samsung KS8500 (2016) to a 65" Samsung Q6FN (2018) for the same reason. My wife and I bought a house and I wanted to fill out the additional space in the living room with a bigger screen. So far (less than a week in), I'm happy with the decision. The biggest issue for me in this switch is that the Q6 doesn't get as bright as the KS8500, so dark HDR scenes in movies can be a little too dim at times, but even with that hang-up I prefer the larger size.

Coming off of an OLED, your experience will probably be a bit different just because OLED and QLED TVs can be really different, but Samsung's sets get dark enough and have vivid enough colors, IMO, that I'd go bigger QLED over smaller OLED.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
My local store has the x900f for 900 Euro for the 55 inch. I am REALLY tempted, can any of you who own it tell me if it's worth it?

Nov 5, 2017
Odd that it is just PS4...makes me think your TV is fine. Do you have enhanced ports turned on in the TV settings?
I have enhanced format turned on for HDR. Is that what you mean?

Knock on wood, the problem seems to have gone away for now. I shut the TV off for a half an hour turned it back on and it went away.

The reason I tried that is because I had a previous older model Sony where out of nowhere my audio would cut out and nothing would work, like I'd press buttons on my remote, but I'd still have picture. I'd have to unplug it from the outlet to "reset" it and power it back up and it was fine. So I wondered if it was something similar.

I didn't have to unplug this X900F, but turning it off and letting it sit and back on seems to have worked for now.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have enhanced format turned on for HDR. Is that what you mean?

I think so? Whatever this process is:

1) On the supplied TV remote control, press the HOME button.
2) Select Settings.
3) Select External Inputs.
4) Select HDMI signal format.
5) Select Enhanced format.

I forget if you need to this for both ports, or if it encompasses both ports 2 and 3.

Nov 5, 2017
I think so? Whatever this process is:

1) On the supplied TV remote control, press the HOME button.
2) Select Settings.
3) Select External Inputs.
4) Select HDMI signal format.
5) Select Enhanced format.

I forget if you need to this for both ports, or if it encompasses both ports 2 and 3.

Yeah, it's enabled on both ports 2 and 3.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
I have a B7 in my loft where I game and watch movies. I want to get a B8 or C8 for the living room. Currently I got a Samsung KS8000 65". I would like to sell that to upgrade. Anyone interested in a KS8000 lol? Any recommendations where to successfully sell tv's?

Oct 25, 2017
Buddy wants a 65" HDR tv to complement his new pro.

His budget us 1000 USD.

What are his best options.

I wanna recommend the TCL p615/617 but dont want him to have to deal with the panel lottery

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So I'm looking to get a new 65" TV this Black Friday and think I've narrowed it down to the following 3 options. My budget is about ~$1,600 and the TV will be in a relatively bright room. Am I missing anything, or are the following three the best options given my couple of constraints?

Vizio P Series Quantum
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6259879.p?skuId=6259879

Sony X900F
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...-ultra-hd-tv-with-hdr/6179726.p?skuId=6179726

Samsung QLED
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6202109.p?skuId=6202109

I'm leaning towards the Vizio due to the steep discount and the brightness.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about SDR. I've owned four different OLEDs and just bought a X900E. Even though the black level itself can't be compared between the two sets, the difference in shadow details is huge. I had to turn the RDR in-game brightness slider up several notches to avoid black crush on the OLED (even though it's calibrated), but that also washed out the picture. With the Sony, the default brightness is perfect. Great, punchy picture, but with lots of shadow detail as well. The difference surprised me too tbh.

So you traded an OLED for a mid range Sony LCD from last year because of 1 game that obviously has issues on all TVs, not just OLEDs? O_O

All you had to do to fix that issue (aside using the in game sliders in SDR, that did work for me on my C8) is to just play in HDR and lower brightness to 47 which solves that issue entirely. The game is never going to look great, because its not a great looking game picture quality wise. Whether that is an artistic decision by Rockstar or just them fucking up, we don't know.

But I'm glad you found a TV that finally works with you.

edit: previously confused another issue that game has

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Here to comment again on burn in, 2017 LG B7A 4k OLED DOLBY VISION and CINEMA/ HDR purchased 2 weeks before black friday last year, in 2017.

Only use it for ps4 gaming, for netflix and hulu and youtube apps on the smart tv, and for blu rays. Once in a while i leave netflix stationary or the movie paused, but when i return a few minutes later. the safety options have kicked in.

- Exploding dots screensaver, different colored dots exploding on black background that looks turned off.
- Dim screen during game sessions
- the screen shift and pixel shift option is turned on, just in case.

Even with these safety features, I have left games stationary in menu like the RDR2 map or the RDR2 pause screen for over 15-20 minutes. And it has been perfect for a year so far. I think the issue comes when you leave the netflix or game paused with none of the safety options for like a day straight. Like leaving it for 12 hours in a row for 7 days a week maybe... That or leaving the desktop turned on with icons on the tv (which i recommend to never use an oled as a desktop or PC monitor..) When using it strictly to game, stream with the smart tv apps, or play discs... It seems perfect.

Netflix has been left on during movies and all 3 safety options turn on. It has also been left on in the menu but same thing.

I am convinced that ppl seeing burn in are using sets from 2014-2015 that do not have the safety options of the 2017-2018 tvs.

There are other options to turn on as well. Happy gaming folks

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've decided to get a C8 but I'm not sure if an additional 10" is worth the extra $800-900. I live in a small apartment so I can't imagine 55" not feeling big enough.
When i had a 40 inch i thought i needed bigger, now with a 55 inch i am very happy in my room but ive learned that the user always wants bigger after a time.

three months after youv been using your 55 inch, a thought will pop up in your head saying. "but 65 would be cooler"

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Like I said in the last thread, I'm not buying Rtings' conclusions here. It makes no sense. If this were accurate LG would never sell another C8.
Regarding the brightness of the 8 series LG OLEDs , i heard the game mode itself is 10-20% brighter. and that is the only thing compared to the 2017 B7A and C7. When I play God of War, or RDR2 on my ps4pro on the oled at near 4k.. brightness is not something i need. It looks blinding good already sun light wise, and overall lighting.

I recommend the 2018 over the 2017 ONLY WHEN the person can really see the difference. If one could buy the 2017 today for cheaper , they would see that the visuals and premium dolby vision / hdr are top of the line still. You will be extremely satisfied. If you choose to not get the 2018.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
When i had a 40 inch i thought i needed bigger, now with a 55 inch i am very happy in my room but ive learned that the user always wants bigger after a time.

three months after youv been using your 55 inch, a thought will pop up in your head saying. "but 65 would be cooler"

Haha true but you know what else is cool? Being $700 less in debt lol

Not to mention I want to use Chase Pay for the 5% cash back and that only goes up to $1,500 anyway.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm looking to get a new 65" TV this Black Friday and think I've narrowed it down to the following 3 options. My budget is about ~$1,600 and the TV will be in a relatively bright room. Am I missing anything, or are the following three the best options given my couple of constraints?

Vizio P Series Quantum
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6259879.p?skuId=6259879

Sony X900F
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...-ultra-hd-tv-with-hdr/6179726.p?skuId=6179726

Samsung QLED
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6202109.p?skuId=6202109

I would go with the P Quantum out of those.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

Vizio P Series Quantum

Sony X900F

Samsung QLED

With that price point, you can also get the 2017 LG OLED B7A with game mode 20 ms and dolby vision and dolby cinema / audio. or C7, but the B7A imo is the same thing but a bit cheaper.

the 2017 is not in any way lesser than the 2018, and in game mode you will still probably think the brightness is great enough.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloody hell we've got people upgrading from 7-series OLED to 8? I'm definitely going to crack if I see a C8 for a decent price in the sales I think.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm going crazy here. Replaced the cable with a brand new one but still not getting a picture from PS4 pro when the Denon 2400H is set to HDMI enhanced. But if I set it to standard then games like Spider-Man run at 1080p HDR.

I tried testing the Apple TV but oddly whether I have the HDMI set to standard or enhanced it's still showing the input as 4K/50 HDR 10 bit

Any ideas? Cable to the TV seems ok unless the Apple TV is sending a lower quality signal than the PS4?

Edit: hmm - Apple TV was set to 4:2:0. If I set to 4:2:2 it doesn't show a picture. Does PS4 pro need 4:2:2?

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Newegg may save you on tax.

$120 in tax for me. It looks like Amazon sells physical Best Buy gift cards now. I have $600 in Amazon money. I wonder if Best Buy price matches Newegg? I could buy Best Buy gift cards off amazon with my money, then have Best Buy price match Newegg and then use all the gift card money I got. I just want to put this large chunk of money I have towards it.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Bloody hell we've got people upgrading from 7-series OLED to 8? I'm definitely going to crack if I see a C8 for a decent price in the sales I think.

This is now my 4th consecutive year buying a TV. Let's see what 2019 brings to the table!

What shenanigans are they doing? They have the 65C8 going for $1899 when you add it to your cart.