• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Samsung in Sweden is confused about their own models.
The 75" Q8DN is cheaper than the 65" Q8FN. The 65" Q8DN is almost half the price of the 65" Q8FN
And to remind you the Q8FN in Europe is the cheap non-fald version, while the Q8DN is the same as the US Q8FN.

http:///LGXc.png

26.000 sek ~ $2,6k

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Vincent is saying Q3 '19 at the earliest for HDMI 2.1

I'm still of the opinion we won't see it at all on 4K sets.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Are there any impressions of the Samsung 8K yet? Genuinely curious what 4K upscaled to 8K looks like. Esp since we won't have mainstream native 8K for years, which makes for a pretty limited use case on these sets.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Need some help/advice.

I bought a lg 55" tv, model SK8100PLAAEN.

When I play RDR2 on my pro, and I have HDR enabled, HDR turns on and off while playing. The HDR logo shows up when I start the game, play for 5-10 min. and then the screen goes black for 2 seconds and comes back, and then The HDR logo appears again.

What could the cause of that be?

And another thing.. When I have a complete black screen and move the lg remote pointer around the screen, the area around the arrow is white/greyish.. It follows the pointer around.. Is this normal for a 55" uhd screen? Never noticed it as much on my smaller 42" lg tv's.

Any help would be appreciated.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Need some help/advice.

I bought a lg 55" tv, model SK8100PLAAEN.

When I play RDR2 on my pro, and I have HDR enabled, HDR turns on and off while playing. The HDR logo shows up when I start the game, play for 5-10 min. and then the screen goes black for 2 seconds and comes back, and then The HDR logo appears again.

What could the cause of that be?

And another thing.. When I have a complete black screen and move the lg remote pointer around the screen, the area around the arrow is white/greyish.. It follows the pointer around.. Is this normal for a 55" uhd screen? Never noticed it as much on my smaller 42" lg tv's.

Any help would be appreciated.

HDR requires more bandwidth, because it requires more bandwidth it requires good cables. Make sure you are using a good quality HDMI cable and it's not faulty.
You can try enabling the YCC420 setting, which will cut back the bandwith requirement as a temporary measure.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
HDR requires more bandwidth, because it requires more bandwidth it requires good cables. Make sure you are using a good quality HDMI cable and it's not faulty.
You can try enabling the YCC420 setting, which will cut back the bandwith requirement as a temporary measure.
Thanks will try to get a better hdmi cable tomorrow.

I think my other issue might be backligt settings related.

Apr 21, 2018
For those who are playing RDR2 in SDR what its your gamma settings? i was happy with bt1886 but the game goes more to the dark side of things, with too much crush and unnatural contrast.

the rockstar logo its pretty dark with those settings.

with 2.2 the logo its clear as a day but as always saturation and color gets a major hit

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
RedlineRonin a few caveats as I still haven't run Audyssey, there's no furniture, etc, but I watched about 20 min of fury road in a darkened room in Atmos and...holy...shit...........

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Loving this new Sabrina show and man, it is a Dolby Vision showpiece. Some of the best I've seen, truly impressive. Looks insane on an OLED.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Red dead is really showcasing my OLED panel vertical banding during the nights, started skipping them, too bad cause they are beautiful.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Save up a bit more and get the C/B8 especially with prices dropping towards the end of the year.

The dynamic tone mapping in game mode in HDR is amazing. Picture is bright but not crushing details like dynamic contrast would do if turned on to medium/ high which many people do because the 7 series in HDR can be a bit dark for some in game mode.

HDR in RDR2 on the C8 looks really good on 300 (needs turning down to 250 imo) with my settings:

Game mode
Dynamic tone mapping on
Gamma Medium
Color wide
Temp w40
Color 55
Sharpness 10
Black level low/ PS4 limited
Everything else turned off

Thanks a lot for the info, the difference is around 500USD at the moment so quite a bit considering I'll want to get the HDMI2.1 sets in a couple of years.
Hmmmm..

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Red dead is really showcasing my OLED panel vertical banding during the nights, started skipping them, too bad cause they are beautiful.

Red Dead is an OLED torture test lol. I haven't really been bothered with the tinting my on OLED up until playing red dead. A little dissapointed with the tv, and considering calling LG to see if I can get the set replaced. I can't stop looking at the tinted portion of the panel.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Whelp my Panasonic plasma started acting iffy tonight, bad IR with dark scenes, guess I need to research this thread and paying attention to the BF deals coming up.

Not looking to break the bank, but 4k and HDR in a sub 60" package would be nice. HDMI 2.1 + VRR support would just be icing on the cake

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whelp my Panasonic plasma started acting iffy tonight, bad IR with dark scenes, guess I need to research this thread and paying attention to the BF deals coming up.

Not looking to break the bank, but 4k and HDR in a sub 60" package would be nice. HDMI 2.1 + VRR support would just be icing on the cake

HDMI 2.1 wont come till late next year at the earliest and its still not even known if its coming to 4k sets at all.

Coming from Plasma I would suggest you take a look at the OLEDs, but if you want VRR the Samsung LCDs have a limited version of it (48-60 fps in 4k), mostly because it needs HDMI 2.1 to really work better than that.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Loving this new Sabrina show and man, it is a Dolby Vision showpiece. Some of the best I've seen, truly impressive. Looks insane on an OLED.
Yeah the style of the show is great. Maybe Netflix is finally back to having good shows again. Sabrina, Castlevania, Daredevil, Bodyguard, Haunting of Hill House, bunch of quality seasons all coming out in the last couple weeks. About time too i was trying to remember why I subscribed to Netflix for awhile.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

My vertical banding is miles better than it was a year later, used to see it all of the time! Now hardly ever, tried a 5% pattern and the real obnoxious strip I had has all but gone.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to buy a new 4k HDR monitor but all monitors are HDR 8bit frc, do I will notice the difference between this and sdr?

This is the monitor I'm going to buy .

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UK850-W-Monitor-Connectivity-FreeSync/dp/B078GVTD9N

Ps: I can't buy a TV for now.

I recently bought a version of this monitor (same panel different features), and its a great 4k monitor, but this isn't really an HDR monitor.

It caps out at around 380 nits, which is nowhere near enough to properly display those HDR highlights, specially on an IPS panel which naturally has a much lower contrast ratio than a VA panel.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650

The world of HDR monitors is shit if you want HDR. You will probably have to end up paying well over $2000 and even then you're probably getting IPS panels with the same poor contrast.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty surprised that quite a few in here couldn't tell that it wasn't a true HDR representation tbh, but shame on Rstar for sure.

Well done EvilBoris though, you deserve it.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Man, why even bother with that type of HDR implementation? Could have just said screw it and saved those man hours.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question which kind of belongs here..

I'm interested in buying this soundbar from Massdrop

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-sk9...ontent=1540888005785.872802144289708218330555

However I would want to mount it under my LG B7 using one of those mounts from Amazon that attach it to the TV. My question is if that would affect the sound output since these have speakers on top (I guess for the Atmos?). I would mount it like 2 inches directly beneath the TV, so I think the sound would bounce off of that instead of going up. Is that right?

Oct 25, 2017
Good shit, EvilBoris!.

Hopefully Rockstar knows it's public info and is seeking a solution in earnest

(Who am I kidding: the majority of people dont/wont care and the game will sell extremely well).

You just expect better from such a detail oriented studio and the game isn't taking advantage of my TV's capabilities (which sucks even more since I fixed some issues with it)

Here's hoping for a fix anyway

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
It's weird how hard this first crack at HDR seems to be for some of the world's biggest devs. Iirc, the Witcher 3 HDR implementation was really poor too, and similarly, just extrapolated out the SDR color spectrum instead of receiving a true HDR grading.

Someone needs to steal an employee or two away from Ubisoft. They continue to nail it on practically every title since late last year.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recently bought a version of this monitor (same panel different features), and its a great 4k monitor, but this isn't really an HDR monitor.

It caps out at around 380 nits, which is nowhere near enough to properly display those HDR highlights, specially on an IPS panel which naturally has a much lower contrast ratio than a VA panel.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650

The world of HDR monitors is shit if you want HDR. You will probably have to end up paying well over $2000 and even then you're probably getting IPS panels with the same poor contrast.

Didn´t you see any improvements between sdr and that HDR? I´ve read that although it´s not as good as hdr10, it´s good enough

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
What would be the best HDR implementation from Ubisoft?
I've been playing Odyssey on PC and I personally think it's their best so far. Not just because of the HDR implementation itself, but because it really complements the art and environment design they're going for. There are so many moments, similar to Horizon Zero Dawn, where you'll just be walking around and look off into the distance and be like "whoa."

It's not the most original, by virtue of the fact that they're trying to recreate something realistic, versus something like Destiny 2 where they're building more fantastical environments, but for what it is, it looks very impressive imho.

Far Cry 5 was also good from a purely technical standpoint, though I didn't care for the game much. I'm sure Division 2 will be excellent also.

They offer some of the better HDR calibration tools as well.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Odyssey on PC and I personally think it's their best so far. Not just because of the HDR implementation itself, but because it really complements the art and environment design they're going for. There are so many moments, similar to Horizon Zero Dawn, where you'll just be walking around and look off into the distance and be like "whoa."

It's not the most original, by virtue of the fact that they're trying to recreate something realistic, versus something like Destiny 2 where they're building more fantastical environments, but for what it is, it looks very impressive imho.

Far Cry 5 was also good from a purely technical standpoint, though I didn't care for the game much. I'm sure Division 2 will be excellent also.

They offer some of the better HDR calibration tools as well.

It's bonkers how well Guerrilla did for their first effort. I truly think HZD2 will be the best looking game ever made.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Even though HDR sucks on it, I'm still sticking with HDR and 47, colours are much nicer looking, compared to looking a bit cartoon like.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though HDR sucks on it, I'm still sticking with HDR and 47, colours are much nicer looking, compared to looking a bit cartoon like.

Yea, I've tried adjusting to SDR and I keep wanted to go back to HDR.

Maybe messing with SDR game mode TV settings might make it better, but really don't wanna change settings just for 1 game.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Trying to decide between the Samsung Q8F and the LG B8/C8 (not sure really what the difference is there other than sound bar at the bottom).

They're both at their lowest ever price on Amazon, and I'm not sure Black Friday will provide any other savings.

LG OLED would be nice, but I'm scared to death of image retention, even if it's temporary for a few minutes. I play a lot of games that have constant HUDs on the screen and watch a lot of sports/ESPN with the ESPN ticker on the bottom constantly.

Given how people raved over the KS8000 a year or two ago, I figure the Q8F should be just as good if not better.