• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
shootout-2018-d8e5947b-8ff1-4175-a929-869c343d51e9.jpg

Room full of gamers

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Sony AF8?

interesting

It's basically the same result as last year, Sony wins that category because of their processing and upscaling while Panasonic takes Best Overall and Best Theater TV and LG takes Best HDR. Only difference from last year is Samsung winning the Gaming category.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It's basically the same result as last year, Sony wins that category because of their processing and upscaling while Panasonic takes Best Overall and Best Theater TV and LG takes Best HDR. Only difference from last year is Samsung winning the Gaming category.

Pretty much. I think LG won Gaming as well last year. Really wish Panasonic would of released their sets in the North America.

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
I have a US Samsung ks9000. Unbelievably great set. But Im jumping ship. When my new house is finished, I'm probably getting an LG for my gaming room.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Thanks to all of you who recommended the Samsung Q6. Got it mounted and even though I have no other furniture until the movers come Wednesday I'm just here enjoying Blue Planet II:

tmh18aA.jpg

JovY4UR.jpg

0g1Sb9k.jpg

It's an absolutely gorgeous panel.

Now to get my stuff here so I can remove glare and make the sound system echo less...

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the "best living room TV" category...
Why woud the Sony win that one when the Pana won both Home theater and best TV?
It's not like the AF8 is brighter (on the contrary)...
Better handling of reflections maybe?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Upscaling and processing. Living room category is looking at how the TV handles low quality content such as cable tv.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

It's vitre by the public, who may not know what they are even looking at

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Sony X900E > Vizio P ?

Eh it depends on what your looking for. The Sony is better in some ways and the Vizio P in other

For gaming specifically the Vizio P is better. Lower imput lag, better motion handling, etc.

Honestly overall the TVs are really close in terms of quality and its gonna come down to what you want. The Rtings mixed usage reviews are literally identical at 8.2

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Copped an Xbox One X today on ebay ($399, no tax and shipping, hard to beat). Mainly got it because of Forza Horizon 4 coming up but I guess I'll also get to see what Dolby Atmos on disc is like.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
That TV has poor blacks because it is an IPS panel. So it has a really wide viewing angle, but can never come even close to the black levels of a VA panel. VA panels have great blacks but poor viewing angles. OLED is the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that is the reason why.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
So, this is more so TV show related, but has anyone watched this new Sacha Baron Cohen show? I just watched the first one and holy fucking shit.

A lot of people about to lose a whole lotta jobs.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that is the reason why.
No problem. If your priority when you bought it was 75 inches and good viewing angles, that set is great. Especially because the only panel that will give you wide viewing angles with good black levels at that size costs 5x as much.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While the yellower white is correct don't feel you have to go with reference.

On my LG set I do use Warm2 for SDR and Dolby Vision. But it looks really overbaked on HDR, I think my set overshoots too far past 6500 with Warm2 in HDR without a pro calibration. So I use Warm1 for HDR.

If a show or movie is particularly dark I'll go to Medium instead of Warm1 in HDR just because it's brighter.

Preference > Reference.

Knowing what the "correct" settings should be is useful. But sometimes because it helps you deviate from it and get the image you want.

Thanks for the explanation! I'll try to fiddle with it on my own and dial in what I'm looking for.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Also keep in mind that people only think warm settings look yellow because they're used to cool settings with too much blue tint. After a few days adjusting it will look white to you.

This is such a great point. At one time I was going between a calibrated display and a terribly cool tablet. Everything looked bad to me.

I would recommend that anyone thinking reference looks yellow should spend some time with it before they move on.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's prime day, and there is an LG 49UJ630a on sale for a bit over 500USD. Any opinions on that model? Should I go for it?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Any Sony 900e/900f owners out there?

I've had my 65" 900f for three days now, so I've spent a lot of time with it to know that, on the whole, I think it's a good set. For black levels, HDR, and colour vibrancy I think the LG OLEDS definitely have it beat. However, for brightness and motion, I think the 900f might actually be better.

However... how severe is light bleed for folks out there? Bloom was something I was prepared for with the set, however the lower right corner of the TV is always at a pitch lighter than the rest of the screen. It becomes really obvious when black bars or a widescreen image appears. I don't notice it 90% of the time but this past weekend I put the set through its paces. Played a lot of Forza Horizon 3, which alternates very frequently between black bars, so I'd go for a while without noticing it, and thinking the image was really good, to suddenly entering or exiting a race, black bars appearing, and then being reminded that around 20% of the screen isn't uniform as the lower right is bleeding somewhat.

Is this just a common occurrence? Does the 900e have this too? I watched a video review on YouTube and they pointed out the exact same issue in the exact same place too...

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My X93D has limited local dimming, and it really made itself known while watching the World Cup. I don't watch a lot of football outside of the world cup, and for some reason it drives the local dimming algorithm crazy, so I was often getting the bottom left corner visibly lighting up brighter than the rest of the pitch.

Might just turn the whole thing off - it has decent enough contrast natively and anything less than FALD or OLED seems a fudge

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Oh man the Local Dimming on the LG Sj800V is the worst. The beginning of Black Panther (jungle-convoi-scene) was nearly unwatchable. It's a dark scene, with a lot of cuts. The 6-zone local dimming was going crazy, because the position of the humans (bright zone) and the dark background (darker zones) changed constantly, resulting in a distracting flickering. Seriously thinking about selling the TV, but I bought it very cheap and I don't have the budget atm :( The rest looks very good, bright HDR is good, but dark scenes are crazy bad.
I tried to tolerate it in the beginning, but it bothers me more and more.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
how does the Panasonic FZ802 win the HDTVTest Shootout 'Best TV'/'Home Theater TV' with no Dolby Vision support????

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
My new 55" LG B7 is coming in today, first new TV in like 6 years. Can't wait to see how it looks in my new basement!! Will share pics once it's up

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Oh man the Local Dimming on the LG Sj800V is the worst. The beginning of Black Panther (jungle-convoi-scene) was nearly unwatchable. It's a dark scene, with a lot of cuts. The 6-zone local dimming was going crazy, because the position of the humans (bright zone) and the dark background (darker zones) changed constantly, resulting in a distracting flickering. Seriously thinking about selling the TV, but I bought it very cheap and I don't have the budget atm :( The rest looks very good, bright HDR is good, but dark scenes are crazy bad.
I tried to tolerate it in the beginning, but it bothers me more and more.

Add some bias lighting, it makes the world of difference.
Then set local dimming to medium for your dark room watching.
Set it to low for watching in a bright room.

Obviously these three things aren't going to get you OLED performance, but it will improve matters.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
how does the Panasonic FZ802 win the HDTVTest Shootout 'Best TV'/'Home Theater TV' with no Dolby Vision support????

AVF's review reckoned it doesn't need Dolby Vision, because of its refined pic quality generally, but I think you could say the difference between a fair few Dolby vs HDR10 films would be marginal too, so I really don't agree with that statement, as I'm sure he didn't test every film on a 802 and C8.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Add some bias lighting, it makes the world of difference.
Then set local dimming to medium for your dark room watching.
Set it to low for watching in a bright room.

Obviously these three things aren't going to get you OLED performance, but it will improve matters.

Thanks for the response! I will try it, I already have the dimming on medium though. Haven't played around with bias lighting yet.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Philips 9002 OLED is £1199 on Prime Day. I'm a sucker for ambilight and have been waiting for details of the 803... I really want to pull the trigger on a new set but I know I'm not getting wife approval on it for a while :P

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
DV confirmed to not be on UHD disc for the Avengers movies.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

If I were to make a guess (and boy am I with this one): not all UHD production facilities can manufacture Dolby Vision discs (which I heard...somewhere) and Disney, for whatever reason, can't get the quantity of discs they think they need for Avengers when they need them at the cost they need them at from the production facilities that can handle DV. Rather than delay a release, they're going with an HDR10 only UHD.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP: for popping colors, 4K native and HDR, please add Resogun to the list of showcase games!

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who owns both a 2017 LG OLED and a Sony 2015 LED, you can't go wrong with the LEDs. Something about my LED just seems better IMO.(maybe Motion handling) Pure black is obviously the advantage of OLEDs though.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I did the texts but didn't click through. Just got back from the gym and clicked through em all and they're all dead.

=(
Bummer. :(

I'm remodeling my basement over the next month or so. Done a fair amount of research and I'm pretty much 100% on board with OLED. Currently targeting the LG C8 65" for an upgrade over my current 60" Samsung 1080p plasma.

I'm going to play the waiting game and pick it up on Black Friday, expecting the price drop to be roughly what it was for the B7 last year. Maybe that's foolish of me, but Costco carried the B7 last year and is now carrying the C8, so I think it's a worthwhile risk.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If I were to make a guess (and boy am I with this one): not all UHD production facilities can manufacture Dolby Vision discs (which I heard...somewhere) and Disney, for whatever reason, can't get the quantity of discs they think they need for Avengers when they need them at the cost they need them at from the production facilities that can handle DV. Rather than delay a release, they're going with an HDR10 only UHD.

then how come they didn't have issues manufacturing DV discs for Black Panther or Last Jedi etc?