• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
VERSION: 2022-01-19

Many people depends of e-mail services like Gmail to do business and they are complete hostage of Google's grace to keep their accounts. And there is a real possibility of automatic ban from Google. And it can make your life miserable in this scenario because you will lose both your email address and all mails saved to do business.

------------
MITIGATION PLAN
To mitigate such problem. I am creating this tutorial on how to avoid it as much as possible for a really small price tag.

HKWFZBE.png

This is the workflow we are aiming.

Clients/friends send e-mail to [email protected], the mail is forward to usual account A from gmail/outlook account. Thunderbird will backup/mirror the content from your account A. If you get banned, we just replace account A for account B and we are back to business.

GET YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME
First step in the process is to get a domain for yourself. You need to take total control of your e-mail address period. And this is a protection (control) that will be valid for any number of years as you want.

To register a domain yourname.COM, many companies offer such service:

A small list
Code:
registrar    1st year    renewal
domain.com    $9,99        $13.99/yr
namecheap    $5.98        $13.98/yr
goDaddy        $0.01        $18.99/yr
namesilo    $9.95        $9.95/yr
porkbun      $9.13  $9.13/yr
souce: https://tld-list.com/tld/com

But watch out for the renewal prices because it may be a big trap. I am talking about you goDaddy! You can pay a higher price if you only see the 1st year price and forget the renewal fees.

My personal recommendation is NameSilo.com because their price and 2 features that is required in our mitigation plan:
- free email forward
- free WHOIS privacy protection

E-mail forward: This is very easy to understand. You give [email protected] address to your contact and any e-mail sent to that address will be forwarded to your gmail/outlook account.

WHOIS privacy protection:
To register a domain, its required that you give personal info and it will be public available. That is bad. So this feature will create a shield to hide your personal info. Read more here
www.namesilo.com

WHOIS Privacy | Website Domain Privacy Protection | NameSilo

Protect your website domain from hackers and spammers looking to data-mine names, email addresses, phone numbers, and other sensitive information.
Make sure to activate this feature wherever place you register your domain!!!!!!

If you are afraid of forgetting the yearly payment, don't worry. You can pay up to 10 years of registration in advance and each year you can just buy 1 year of registration to keep always 10 years paid.

------------
E-MAIL CLIENT

The good and old e-mail client from the start of internet is here to stay and save you! The e-mail client is what the name suggest, it will be a desktop application that you, may or may not use, to access/send/receive your emails OR just keeping using the usual method you like (browser, smartphone app).
We gonna use the e-mail client as backup tool in our plan! I personally only use the desktop software to read/send emails, no web browser for me.

The recommended client is Thunderbird from Mozilla Foundation
www.thunderbird.net

Thunderbird — Free Your Inbox.

Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize - and it’s loaded with great features!

But I suggest you to use the portable version
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

6eBOAwe.png

Why? Because the software can be installed (all executable files and mail data) in a single folder making super easy barely an inconvenience to create a backup. Even simple Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V can do the job (or using a sync app to mirror folders between 2 hard drives).

Setup instructions:
Gmail: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail
Outlook: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-hotmail

It will work with any mail provider that offer POP and IMAP access to email account.

Checking the Synchronization & Storage settings for the e-mail account (select the account and right click > settings).
pVNHB7V.png

------------
HOW TO USE:
Make sure to run Thunderbird daily so it can download and MIRROR the content from your gmail/outlook account to your computer.

------------
USING YOUR CUSTOM E-MAIL ADDRESS WITH GMAIL/OUTLOOK

Time to setup your brand new email address ([email protected]) into your Gmail/Outlook account.

Outlook:

Add or remove an email alias in Outlook.com - Microsoft Support

Create an alias to give you an additional email address which uses the same inbox, contact list, and account settings as your primary email address in Outlook.com.

Go to settings in account:
JtVHtXv.png

Add email and verify

Outlook - Testing:
Composer:
- In the webmail page: you click FROM and a drop down list of e-mails you added to your MS account is displayed:
K65OIXY.png

e-mail sent
4E3HOoo.png

thunderbird test result:
T2zjGAZ.png

The FROM address is not from outlook.com yet I wrote from there.

Make your domain address be default FROM:
ToXEChz.png

really weird place to define that :P

OPTIONAL STEP:

To avoid your emails marked as spam. Add this record to your DNS:
v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

You can use these links as reference:
- https://support.google.com/a/answer/2716802?hl=en
- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mi...-to-help-prevent-spoofing?view=o365-worldwide
This will advertise to the internet that emails with your domain name WILL be send from Microsoft servers ONLY. Don't add this line to your DNS if you are planing to send emails from other SMTP servers.

GMAIL:
It kinda a mess to make it work on Gmail. Because the way gmail allow to use yourdomain in their service is to require a SMTP server. There is one way to use google's own SMTP server to bypass their stupid requirement.

1 - You need have to activate the 2nd factor authentication... You should be using it anyway.
www.google.com

Authentication Tools for Secure Sign In - Google Safety Center

You can be vulnerable to risks when you sign in to accounts. Learn how our authentication tools and services help you sign in securely.

2 - create an APP PASSWORD

- Go to security > App Passwords
WzW8jMr.png

- Select MAIL and give some whatever name
w1RfUlB.png

- GENERATE the code (16 chars string) and save for step 4.

3. Gmail > Settings > Account & Import
zbxZF9S.png

4. Use your gmail account info and the App Password from step 2
TDjUKnl.png

5. a verification code will be sent to your email ([email protected]).

6. Here you can see the email address has being added
KcvwKn9.png

Check the 2 extra configuration.

7. working.
djYNp77.png

Yeah is a mess... Outlook is so much easier.

OPTIONAL STEP:
If you want to make your e-mails avoid spam filter because SPF . Add this to your DNS
v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

more info: https://support.google.com/a/answer/33786
This will advertise to the internet that emails with your domain name WILL be send from google servers ONLY. Don't add this line to your DNS if you are planing to send emails from other SMTP servers.

Other Services:
Each service may or may not offer this feature of sending a mail using different "Sender's address" (ALIAS)... All of them probable allow you to setup the REPLY-TO with any email address. So you need check this out yourself.

------------
RECAP:
You can keep using your browser/smartphone app to check/send/receive email as usual and just making sure to run Thunderbird often (best daily) so it can download and MIRROR the content from your gmail/outlook account to your computer.
Or
You can just use Thunderbird to centralize your activities.

------------
FINAL WORDS:
Now your mails are secured in your computer! No more being hostage of Google to access yours mails. In case you get banned from gmail/outlook, you still have your e-mail address and a backup of old mails.
In case you get banned. Go to registrar where got bought the domain and change the email forward address to a new mail service. And then you change the info (IMAP/POP server) into your Thunderbird client and you are back in the business with little downtime.

------------
BONUS:
Backup made easy:
www.goodfirms.co

The Top 11 Free and Open Source File Sync Software

Just explore the features of the top 11 free and open source file sync software to select the best that suits your business.

I use freefilesync. It's a powerful tool but take some time to setup it. You can use it to sync (mirror) the content from any number of directories into another location (external/secondary drive/network etc). This is the reason to recommend the Thunderbird's portable version.
FXN2lPP.png

demo: sync content from C: and D: drives to my backup drive E:
If you are lazy, you can create new entry to Windows's Task Scheduler to run a command to do a daily backup in the background for you :P

------------
Domain name suggestions:
- stick with .com domain names. Exotic extension are a pain to remember and prone to error (typing)
- make it short
- don't use numbers, hyphen or double letters
- easy to pronounce and spell to someone

If you feel luck, try looking for deleted domain names that are available again: https://www.expireddomains.net/deleted-com-domains/

I hope this help someone.

------------
CHANGELOG:

2022-01-28 - Added a note about SPF (Sender Policy Framework)
2022-01-19 - Domain prices updated.
2021-02-12 - A little complicate workaround to use yourdomain with gmail.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I will say that owning my own domain and using a non public email service is really cool. I really enjoy it. Someone already took my very unique full name and they are apparently a famous graphics design artist. Anyways get creative with those domain names! Have fun!

Oct 28, 2017
This is a very convenient guide.

On another note you can make your own email server, but uh a pain to build but rock solid once built. Also has a fiscal cost associated and only really makes sense for businesses because of those costs. If you already have some of the cost requirements due to your job and other reasons, go nuts!

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
My god , please use the WHOIS protection if you can people. 3 months later and I'm still getting multiple spam calls a day from Indian web and app design companies. It's gotten to the point where I just pick up and talk to them about dumb, disgusting shit so they stop calling.

I'm really sad the one company couldn't help me out with my leaking butthole.

Oct 28, 2017
My god , please use the WHOIS protection if you can people. 3 months later and I'm still getting multiple spam calls a day from Indian web and app design companies. It's gotten to the point where I just pick up and talk to them about dumb, disgusting shit so they stop calling.

This is for pretty much everything, you really don't want to be identifiable as best as you can.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017

^ this, thankfully namecheap added it as "free" service a year or so ago.

I'm thankful that my free g-suite/g-apps has been grandfathered.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Thank you for making this wonderful thread StrayDog really interesting

I have been using thunderbird for about 12 years now. for my own domain works fantastic love it.
Shame Thunderbird has lots all of its great add-ons a few years ago with an update that broke them all :(

But overall thunderbird is fantastic.

I highly recommend Outlook of all apps on iOS / Android if you have a domain email its great on there!

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017

Counterpoint, a Chinese company pestered me for about a year for my domain name that I wasn't even selling, and in the end they paid me a ridiculous amount of money for it after I asked an escrow company to get involved. Of course I thought it was a scam, but they deposited the money in the escrow about 30 minutes after I agreed to sell it.

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
is there any good place to get good free domain names?
Anyone that offer that kind of service is the real owner of domain name. You don't any control to what can happen to that domain.

Counterpoint, a Chinese company pestered me for about a year for my domain name that I wasn't even selling, and in the end they paid me a ridiculous amount of money for it after I asked an escrow company to get involved. Of course I thought it was a scam, but they deposited the money in the escrow about 30 minutes after I agreed to sell it.
When you use a privacy whois service. you just hide your personal info but they usually add an email forward address to your real email. If someone want to contact you they still can. They just don't get any personal info, just an e-mail address.

Last edited:

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. This is on my to-do list as well as getting my server up and running fully to host things like Nextcloud/EteSync(Contacts/Calendar) and other self-hosted services.

Edit - For those interested in selfhosting their services - https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted
Is probably the most exhaustive list online

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I am sad because all the domains I would want are being squatted for no good purpose

One of them is owned but just goes to nowhere, unconfigured
Another is owned and goes nowhere, but is being held hostage for $5000
The last has been taken by some scam trying to sell peoples names back to them through an email subscription, they just buy up all the names they can

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great guide, really helpful stuff here.
If you want to stay away from Google or Microsoft altogether and are willing to spend a bit more I can recommend hey.com by the fine folks who made basecamp. It's a great, but pricey service with some neat features.

CMP

Oct 27, 2017
United States of America
Thanks for the guide, I'll check it out when I get the opportunity! Is there anything else we can do with a domain name that does *not* involve any kind of hosting or money (so not a website, or a server)?

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
what about protonmail? they're in the same price range for their basic paywalled offer. are they sus?
I think protonmail is kinda a scam. Their service may be secure and no one can hack them BUT the email that go out and go in will pass though servers in plain text. E-mail is a plain text protocol... Any server between the sender and recipient have access to the content of your e-mail in plain text without any content encryption.
If you want protection/privacity you can only send e-mail between protonmail users OR you need to encrypt content (like PGP) first before sending it and your recipient must have the key to decrypt it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I protonmail is kinda a scam. Their service may be secure and no one can hack them BUT the email that go out and go in will pass though servers in plain text. E-mail is a plain text protocol... Any server between the sender and recipient have access to the content of your e-mail in plain text without any content encryption.
If you want protection/privacity you can only send e-mail between protonmail users OR you need to encrypt content (like PGP) first before sending it and your recipient must have the key to decrypt it.
I see, thanks!

Oct 28, 2017
I am sad because all the domains I would want are being squatted for no good purpose

One of them is owned but just goes to nowhere, unconfigured
Another is owned and goes nowhere, but is being held hostage for $5000
The last has been taken by some scam trying to sell peoples names back to them through an email subscription, they just buy up all the names they can
Hmm, what kind of domain are you trying to secure? Real Name, Combined Words, Made-up Word?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If you're planning to keep your email safe, you should use the email forwarder to Google only as a temporary measure - you should also be working on migrating to a new (preferably non-Google) email service. In my case, it would take me forever to make that change (my Gmail address goes back to closed beta and is literally my first name and first 2 letters of my last name - like an old school UNIX login name) because I've been using it as my primary for well over a decade now. Some hosting providers will also provide mailboxes for email addresses from your domain, though trying to pick a provider that's likely to be around for the long haul might take some planning.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loving this thread. Great job op.
I would add more but everyone pretty much beat me to it.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
E-MAIL CLIENT

The good and old e-mail client from the start of internet is here to stay and save you! The e-mail client is what the name suggest, it will desktop application that you, may or may not use, to access/send/receive your emails OR just keeping using the usual method you like (browser, smartphone app).
We gonna use the e-mail client as backup tool in our plan! I personally only use the desktop software to read/send emails, no web browser for me.

The recommended client is Thunderbird from Mozilla Foundation
www.thunderbird.net

Thunderbird — Free Your Inbox.

Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize - and it’s loaded with great features!
Like you said. That's all you need. No need to spend money.

Recapping, just make it so that thunderbird downloads copies of your emails onto your PC and leave the original on the server. If your email goes dodo, you still have an archive of all your emails locally on your PC. Then, it's only a matter of saving/backing up the configuration of Thunderbird and creating a new email address and setting it up in Thunderbird.

That's what I do. No need for a custom email address for personal use.

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
was trying various forms/combinations of real name

Try surnamepobox (pobox/mailbox) because is easy to get... I tried smithpobox.com is available to register :P If you have plans to create a website with that domain then is no good for sure. But for mail only I think is ok. All surnames are taken at this point don't bother to try get it (you are a decade later) if you are not ready to pay A LOT (thousands dollars at minimum).

Getting a good domain name is a challenge. Just try following these suggestions:

- stick with .com domain names. Exotic extensions are a pain to remember and prone to error (typing)
- make it short

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for putting this all together - really good info.

Any good suggestions for the email hosting part of this? It seems a lot of the domain sites seem to push you to GSuite. Trying to get away from the Google ecosystem, and it's a little pricy at ~6 bucks a month.

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Thank you for putting this all together - really good info.

Any good suggestions for the email hosting part of this? It seems a lot of the domain sites seem to push you to GSuite. Trying to get away from the Google ecosystem, and it's a little pricy at ~6 bucks a month.

I will disregard the first year prices because they can be deceptive

Namecheap offers email hosting for:
$12/year per 1 account with 5GB + $13 domain name/year = $25/year
- it offer for free the whois privacy feature that is a must when you have a domain.

More options
www.techradar.com

Best email hosting providers of 2024

Streamline your email communication with one of the best email hosting solutions

Last edited:

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
When I had a domain I would get random mails all the time from people trying to sell me stuff because apparently they could look up everything by using who is. I bailed after just one year having it. I'm fine with google mail.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I looked into getting my own domain the other day and what sucks is that I have a common name so any domains I could think of as a variation of my name were taken.

Some of the less common TLDs were open, but I hesitate to pick something like .info or .page for email, since that might just confuse people.

Any ideas on choosing a .com? If I can't do my name, what is something I could do that's still professional? A common, yet meaningless word? A "fake" company name?

What approaches does the average non-business owner use when they can't choose their own name as a domain?

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
When I had a domain I would get random mails all the time from people trying to sell me stuff because apparently they could look up everything by using who is. I bailed after just one year having it. I'm fine with google mail.
I would recommend using domain privacy protection which will prevent any of your personal information from displaying in the whois.

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Rookhelm

This is my option: The domain will be used to create a website?
If the answer is no : You can just go with surnamepobox surnamemailbox is bland, its generic, its neutral
If the answer is yes: You need to select a name that will be related to the content OR a name that has no connection to anything particular. For example I would go with some bird name, geological formation near you.

still need to follow these "rules"
- stick with .com domain names. Exotic extensions are a pain to remember and prone to error (typing)
- make it short

links:
Domain Name Generator - https://domainwheel.com/

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I looked into getting my own domain the other day and what sucks is that I have a common name so any domains I could think of as a variation of my name were taken.

Some of the less common TLDs were open, but I hesitate to pick something like .info or .page for email, since that might just confuse people.

Any ideas on choosing a .com? If I can't do my name, what is something I could do that's still professional? A common, yet meaningless word? A "fake" company name?

What approaches does the average non-business owner use when they can't choose their own name as a domain?

In my case, I'm a developer, so I used my three initials followed by "dev" for my domain (so, these aren't my real initials, but it would be like tkpdev.com). Relates to my career, which gave it a bit of a professional look when I was applying for a new job and easy to say when giving it out. So, including some simple word related to your career or hobby is a good idea.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Rookhelm

This is my option: The domain will be used to create a website?
If the answer is no : You can just go with surnamepobox surnamemailbox is bland, its generic, its neutral
If the answer is yes: You need to select a name that will be related to the content OR a name that has no connection to anything particular. For example I would go with some bird name, geological formation near you.

still need to follow these "rules"
- make it short

links:
Domain Name Generator - https://domainwheel.com/

I found surnamemailbox.net (with my real surname)

Tempted to go with that since .nets are pretty common

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Rookhelm

Try stick with .com
I personally I think .net is ugly and remind me of technological things. .ORG is not good either.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
For years I've lived with a name online that I constantly need to enunciate and repeat letters in it. I have to do the whole "no, it's v as in victor, b as in boy, and n as in Nancy, yes, at gmail.com" a LOT.

So I spent yesterday doing the following:

- making a list of letters that, when written down, aren't confused with other letters, like I and l are (capital eye and lowercase el), but lowercase only

- making a list of letters that, when said, aren't confused with other letters, like how b / d or m / n sound way too similar

- taking the letters NOT in either list and creating a list of words with those letters, with at most 1 other letter in it

- finding a good combination of words that has a domain available

And I picked the combination that sounds the best, looks the best, and doesn't have words confused with other words, like koi/coy. And I made that my new domain name for emails.

Here are some names that I rejected:
oxkoi.com
oathero.com
oxyawn.com
rawokra.com
walkox.com

And they're all available, if you want them... And if you spell out or write one of those names, it'll be a little less likely for it to be a confusing endeavor.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
I think protonmail is kinda a scam. Their service may be secure and no one can hack them BUT the email that go out and go in will pass though servers in plain text. E-mail is a plain text protocol... Any server between the sender and recipient have access to the content of your e-mail in plain text without any content encryption.

It's not really a scam though, that's just how email is. If you're expecting it to somehow encrypt all your emails in transit, you don't understand what the product is, and anyone who needs to use PGP or similar will know how to set it up.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I almost signed up for ProtonMail, not for the privacy/security, but because their product and apps are all open source.

But at the last minute, I found Tutanota, another privacy centric email company with all open-source apps. They ended up being a lot cheaper than ProtonMail for me ($12 instead of $48 a year) because their pricing is more à la carte.

I hope Tutanota works out, but at least if they don't I can easily switch providers thanks to having a domain name.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
This is wonderful thread. I've been doing basically the same thing for 5+ years. It does incur a cost, and it safeguards the my family's email presence. Almost got my boomer in-laws to pull the trigger on this then they got worried that the paid domain provider would read their email, they currently use gmail for free...

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Why do I need the Thunderbird part? Can't I just forward everything to Gmail? My emails will still be stored if Gmail block me will they not?

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Why do I need the Thunderbird part? Can't I just forward everything to Gmail? My emails will still be stored if Gmail block me will they not?

HKWFZBE.png

The idea is .
1. Clients send e-mail to [email protected]
2. e-mail is forwarded to accountA@gmail.com
3. Thunderbird will mirror/backup the content from accountA account to your local machine

If you get banned:
1 - Create a new account (we replacing the accountA@gmail.com for accountB@gmail.com in the workflow)
2 - change the forward address at your domain registrar
done

Your clients still have your "official" e-mail address so no need to notify them about "a change in the e-mail address".
You still have all the old mails in the Thunderbird

Last edited:

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making this thread, OP! I was looking for something like this after I saw the news on the Terraria dev.