• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
does this run slower than the originals with Turrican 1 and 2? The screen scrolling seems kinda tiny bit juddery and not 60fps smooth? Almost as if it's 50fps? Maybe the PAL version was like this too? Can't remember

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Broke down and grabbed it on the PS4 (well, PS5 in my case). So far so great. While its only 4 of the games (wish it was all of them, including the C64 and NES releases but hey) it still seems like a pretty decent series of ports so far. Tried Turrican 2 as I know that game rather well, and it plays like a dream. The addition of a proper jump button is probably the best QoL change I could have asked for. Extra lives are everywhere, more so than I remember - if you explore off the main path chances are a 1up or two are there.

Options wise, the screen options are pretty darn good. Aside from the usual screen ratios and screen filter, I was surprised at just how tweakable the CRT/scanline filter is, its really in depth.

Honestly, I only have two issues with the ports so far and neither are really a problem. First off is I can't view the trophies. I can unlock trophies (you get one for using the super smart bomb, another for beating the optional UFO boss on stage 2) but the list doesnt appear. Oh well, that'll be fixed soon Im sure.

The second issue is that the game loads so darn quick that the music that plays when the levels load in Turrican 2 only plays the first couple of notes and that's it, because then the level loads. Its a weird complaint, but I really loved how that music built the tension back in the day.

Otherwise, colour me impressed.
Just spend your time in the music player section of Turrican 2 :p

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Is the collection also on Switch ?
Yes. Both collections
Any ideas why Super Turrican 2 wasn't included in the flashback pack??
It's included in the second collection (Turrican 3, Mega Turrican DC, Super Turrican DC and Super Turrican 2)
does this run slower than the originals with Turrican 1 and 2? The screen scrolling seems kinda tiny bit juddery and not 60fps smooth? Almost as if it's 50fps? Maybe the PAL version was like this too? Can't remember
Games ran at 50 FPS native on C64 and Amiga, beeing developed on Pal systems

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Broke down and grabbed it on the PS4 (well, PS5 in my case). So far so great. While its only 4 of the games (wish it was all of them, including the C64 and NES releases but hey) it still seems like a pretty decent series of ports so far. Tried Turrican 2 as I know that game rather well, and it plays like a dream. The addition of a proper jump button is probably the best QoL change I could have asked for. Extra lives are everywhere, more so than I remember - if you explore off the main path chances are a 1up or two are there.

Options wise, the screen options are pretty darn good. Aside from the usual screen ratios and screen filter, I was surprised at just how tweakable the CRT/scanline filter is, its really in depth.

Honestly, I only have two issues with the ports so far and neither are really a problem. First off is I can't view the trophies. I can unlock trophies (you get one for using the super smart bomb, another for beating the optional UFO boss on stage 2) but the list doesnt appear. Oh well, that'll be fixed soon Im sure.

The second issue is that the game loads so darn quick that the music that plays when the levels load in Turrican 2 only plays the first couple of notes and that's it, because then the level loads. Its a weird complaint, but I really loved how that music built the tension back in the day.

Otherwise, colour me impressed.
Also I noticed there's no trophies for Super Turrican? It doesn't have the trophy challenge mode like the other three?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Still annoyed the C64 versions aren't in the collections. They're literally the original versions of the games.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused... are there three collections then technically?

This, Vol 1, and Vol 2?

Or is this Vol 1?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Turrican Flashback is supposed to be out today? I don't see it on the US eShop. I thought the (delayed) release date was the 29th.

Edit: Oh, sounds like the EU release is today.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Messed around some more with the collection. Got real far on the original Turrican. I think I got to what is basically the last level but damn if those alien bastards and blind jumps didn't mess me up. To this point the game was great about having fair jumps but these couple of stages just screw you over... So still a classic game but not without an annoyance or two. Mega Turrican... most of my deaths are summed up through two reasons - instant deaths I cant see coming (bah) and me forgetting I have a grappling hook now. Need to take some time to adapt back to it.
Super Turrican for some reason I'm less of a fan of than when I played it last. Its still a perfectly good game (great soundtrack) but the levels dont do it for me like T1/2 do for whatever reason, especially the second set of levels. Plus your health bar feels puny and health drops are slightly less frequent (not a great combo). So it remains one of my lesser favourites in the series. I'll give Turrican another run over the coming days and clock those last couple of stages, I could easily clear them if I used the rewind/save states but I'm too stubborn to do that.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Nice. Factor 5 was an awesome developer back in the day. I'd love for them to make some kind of comeback.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Messed around with the collection more, cleared Turrican twice. First was using the mode that lets me rewind. Its a very useful feature as the maps are so big and its so useful to be able to check which blind jumps lead me to lives, and which lead to bottomless pits! Only levels that really annoy me are the trio set in an underground/alien? lair as its impossible to really tell where you've been and where you need to go in places (everything looks the same) and it also has host to the most annoying platforming bits and enemies in the game. After that the final couple of levels are strangely easy by comparison, especially the final boss.

And then I did a trophy run on the game, which lead me to clear the game without continuing (which despite me not being able to see the trophy list yet, I got a gold trophy for doing so!). Great game, holds up incredibly well (especially the amazing music) and once I got into my groove it wasn't too tough (aside from that trio of annoying stages near the end). Up next is Turrican 2, which historically has always been my favourite game, and one I have the least problems finishing!

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Messed around some more with the collection. Got real far on the original Turrican. I think I got to what is basically the last level but damn if those alien bastards and blind jumps didn't mess me up. To this point the game was great about having fair jumps but these couple of stages just screw you over... So still a classic game but not without an annoyance or two. Mega Turrican... most of my deaths are summed up through two reasons - instant deaths I cant see coming (bah) and me forgetting I have a grappling hook now. Need to take some time to adapt back to it.
Super Turrican for some reason I'm less of a fan of than when I played it last. Its still a perfectly good game (great soundtrack) but the levels dont do it for me like T1/2 do for whatever reason, especially the second set of levels. Plus your health bar feels puny and health drops are slightly less frequent (not a great combo). So it remains one of my lesser favourites in the series. I'll give Turrican another run over the coming days and clock those last couple of stages, I could easily clear them if I used the rewind/save states but I'm too stubborn to do that.

I played Turrican 1 last night and it's still great. I had it on C64 back in the day so I never played the Amiga version this collection is emulated from, but it's identical levels layout etc so it's all familiar. Fantastic music too. I'm really rusty now and forgot how annoying the death pits and how just going into an enemy drains your health so fast lol.

I got to the vertical scrolling level when it scrolls downwards with the hero wearing the jet pack. Lost all my lives and continues around there lol.
I remember I could beat this game quite easily on c64, especially with all the 1ups which I've forgotten where they are all hidden lol.

Used to play Turrican 2 on C64 but never beat it I think.
Super Turrican I loved playing on SNES. Great music and finished it multiple times back then. Don't think this collection has trophies for Super Turrican though? They only seem to unlock for the other three games?

Mega Turrican I've never played this one as I only had a Megadrive briefly before moving to SNES.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I played Turrican 1 last night and it's still great. I had it on C64 back in the day so I never played the Amiga version this collection is emulated from, but it's identical levels layout etc so it's all familiar. Fantastic music too. I'm really rusty now and forgot how annoying the death pits and how just going into an enemy drains your health so fast lol.

I got to the vertical scrolling level when it scrolls downwards with the hero wearing the jet pack. Lost all my lives and continues around there lol.
I remember I could beat this game quite easily on c64, especially with all the 1ups which I've forgotten where they are all hidden lol.

Used to play Turrican 2 on C64 but never beat it I think.
Super Turrican I loved playing on SNES. Great music and finished it multiple times back then. Don't think this collection has trophies for Super Turrican though? They only seem to unlock for the other three games?

Mega Turrican I've never played this one as I only had a Megadrive briefly before moving to SNES.
Super Turrican is a gimped version of Mega Turrican. More or less the same levels, same bosses (fewer of those though). Mega is far superior to Super and sligthly better than 3 on Amiga

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there is little to no chance of some one other than SLGs releasing physicals of Vol 1 and 2?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so, my only experience so far with SLG was not a positive one. I'd rather get this from some one other than them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Super Turrican is a gimped version of Mega Turrican. More or less the same levels, same bosses (fewer of those though). Mega is far superior to Super and sligthly better than 3 on Amiga
Super Turrican is basically a best of version of Turrican 1/2, I'm not seeing it all that much like 3 yet, especially when it comes to levels. It was also "gimped" due to the publisher cheaping out on the cart that Factor 5 could use, so a bunch of content was cut but a directors cut will appear on one of the upcoming collections.

Also, Mega Turrican is the version of T3 that's worse, arguably. Its missing an entire level as the publisher felt it wouldn't resonate with the console audience, but was added back into the Amiga version. Again, a directors cut version of Mega is coming out on one of the upcoming collections.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Super Turrican is basically a best of version of Turrican 1/2, I'm not seeing it all that much like 3 yet, especially when it comes to levels. It was also "gimped" due to the publisher cheaping out on the cart that Factor 5 could use, so a bunch of content was cut but a directors cut will appear on one of the upcoming collections.

Also, Mega Turrican is the version of T3 that's worse, arguably. Its missing an entire level as the publisher felt it wouldn't resonate with the console audience, but was added back into the Amiga version. Again, a directors cut version of Mega is coming out on one of the upcoming collections.
The Amiga version is inferior for a number of reasons :
1 - The Audio track fades when sound effects are played, ruining partially the game's mood
2 - The lack of a proper jump button makes it difficult to navigate at times
3 - The overall sound quality is lower due to less channels beeing available and low quality samples beeing used. Contrast that to the overall musical excellence of the Megadrive version and it's prety evident
4 - Many visual effects are missing on the Amiga version due to the Amiga 500 limitations. This should have been an AGA game instead of the OCE version we got

As for your first point. Mega Turrican and Super Turrican share 3 levels. Super has an Ice exclusive one and Mega has 2 exclusive ones compared to the Super version. The graple is different between both games, the last boss is missing from Super (but is present in the intro? wut?) and both were based on what would be Turrican 3 on the Amiga.

Turrican 3 borrows many enemies and designs from the first two games anyway.

Do note that I say all this as an Amiga hardcore fan who still uses his computer weekly

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I have the two Genesis Turricans on my Genesis-mini and the two SNES ones, both on carts and on the SNES-mini.
So I think I'm gonna skip these collections. Though I would love a level selection for the games (I think the first one has a cheat code for it), as I can rarely get to the later levels.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The Amiga version is inferior for a number of reasons :
1 - The Audio track fades when sound effects are played, ruining partially the game's mood
2 - The lack of a proper jump button makes it difficult to navigate at times
3 - The overall sound quality is lower due to less channels beeing available and low quality samples beeing used. Contrast that to the overall musical excellence of the Megadrive version and it's prety evident
4 - Many visual effects are missing on the Amiga version due to the Amiga 500 limitations. This should have been an AGA game instead of the OCE version we got

As for your first point. Mega Turrican and Super Turrican share 3 levels. Super has an Ice exclusive one and Mega has 2 exclusive ones compared to the Super version. The graple is different between both games, the last boss is missing from Super (but is present in the intro? wut?) and both were based on what would be Turrican 3 on the Amiga.

Turrican 3 borrows many enemies and designs from the first two games anyway.

Do note that I say all this as an Amiga hardcore fan who still uses his computer weekly
Well I'll have to see on the Super/Mega level split. Not having played them in a while my mind is fuzzy on them. But for Mega/T3 - just use a Mega Drive pad on your Amiga (it shares the same plug/socket) and you get the option to use a jump button. Personally, I'm not a fan of the way the MD version sounds and since I can get a console like control scheme by just using a pad, I'm all set. And personally - the extra level that Amiga T3 gets would have me play it over most of the points you raised aside from the controller point but... as I say you just can use a MD pad and have the best of both worlds.

But hey, directors cut versions of Super and Mega are coming in the upcoming anthology versions so that should hopefully fix at least a couple of these points (like adding levels back into each). It'll be interesting to experience those the way they were intended.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017

Thing is they kind of padded this out to make 2 volumes when they didnt need to. Turrican 3 is the same as Mega Turrican and then adding the score attack version into each collection when they didnt need to. Should of just been one collection....

Turrican (Amiga)
Turrican 2 (Amiga)
Mega Turrican (Mega Drive)
Super Turrican (SNES)
Super Turrican 2 (SNES)

Also is there no PC or Xbox release??

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, as someone who grew up with Turrican 3 but didn't know what Mega Turrican was, when I got the latter on the Virtual Console a few years ago it was both surprising to see that it was just Turrican 3, and also clearly better than Turrican 3.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Do we know when the Switch version of Turrican Flashback is supposed to release? I thought the ps4/Switch release was supposed to be the same day, but it's nowhere to be found on Switch...at least in the EU eshop.
Also as someone who only played a bit of Turrican 2 and Mega Turrican in the past, these collections are quite confusing on what they actually have in them and there's no description of the games on the product pages from what I saw. If anyone knowledgeable could clear that up for me I would be thankful.

The games in Flashback, and the Anthology Volume 1 and 2 releases
From what I saw, is Mega/Super/Turrican 3 basically the same game with cut levels on Super/Mega? And the Directors cuts are the uncut versions of Super/Mega?
Is Super 2 basically Turrican 4?
What are the Score Attack versions about?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
WELP! So the Turrican Collection was pulled from the PS store. I believe it was uploaded early by mistake... It now shows a January 29 date.

To those who were able to download it early, Congrats!

Jan 6, 2019
They did the same thing on switch in December, but it only took a couple hours before they yanked it down. Which is why I snagged it right away this time. :)
Turrican 1 is ok, but I hate the last few levels.
Turrican 2 is incredible. Such an improved sequel.
Mega Turrican is also incredible, though the grappling hook annoys me sometimes.
Super I played all the time as a kid. Still great, still adore the music, but you know this is a good collection when a game I loved as a kid is my third favourite out of four lol.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The collection is now available on PS4 and Switch, but I'm having a hard time deciding which version to get...
On Switch I could use my Snes and MegaDrive controllers, but PS4 has trophies and the 4K upscale should make it look sharper on the Pro.
I don't know what to do...

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The collection is now available on PS4 and Switch, but I'm having a hard time deciding which version to get...
On Switch I could use my Snes and MegaDrive controllers, but PS4 has trophies and the 4K upscale should make it look sharper on the Pro.
I don't know what to do...
It's going to look better in portable form due to the nature of the originals resolutions.

But I'm probably getting both since I'm a Turrican fanboy (and have the CE preordered from SLG)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If ININ's involved you can expect them to fuck up digital. After Darius, Space Invaders, Monster World... it's like they're doing it purposely.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Darius: split collections, vastly overpriced
SI: significantly cut down collection, all the classic titles missing
MW: MD title cut from digital release

Turrican looks like it's following the trend with half the titles versus buying the packaged collections. And this doesn't even include missing out on the Amazon preorder bonus titles Japan got for Bubble Bobble 4, SIIC, Darius Cozmic, etc.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Darius: split collections, vastly overpriced
SI: significantly cut down collection, all the classic titles missing
MW: MD title cut from digital release

Turrican looks like it's following the trend with half the titles versus buying the packaged collections. And this doesn't even include missing out on the Amazon preorder bonus titles Japan got for Bubble Bobble 4, SIIC, Darius Cozmic, etc.
Darius was split everywhere, including Japan. Taito purposefully made an Arcade collection and a Console collection (and even locked 4 games behind Amazon Prime)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Darius was split everywhere, including Japan. Taito purposefully made an Arcade collection and a Console collection (and even locked 4 games behind Amazon Prime)
Japan just had the Cozmic Collection, it wasn't split into Arcade and Console releases like overseas but the console games only came with the SE. The only game locked behind Amazon preorder was Sagaia GB iirc?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
It's going to look better in portable form due to the nature of the originals resolutions.

But I'm probably getting both since I'm a Turrican fanboy (and have the CE preordered from SLG)
Thanks for the recommendation.
I went with the Switch version, not because of portability (I mostly play docked), but because the Switch has more third party controllers available.
It's my first time playing both Amiga games and I'm loving T1. Gameplay and music are great.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan just had the Cozmic Collection, it wasn't split into Arcade and Console releases like overseas but the console games only came with the SE. The only game locked behind Amazon preorder was Sagaia GB iirc?
This is wrong

Only the Arcade collection saw a physical release in Japan. The Cozmic collection only includes arcade games. The Special Edition includes arcade and console games. The Console games were digital only in Japan.