• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
It's not THAT hard to make custom cartridge boards and the shells to house them, but is there even a production facility that makes DD 3,5" diskettes anymore?
I honestly have no idea how hard it is to get any of this manufactured, but I can remember seeing some retro-based Kickstarters with pledge rewards where you get stuff on a 3,5" diskette.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Im just excited to use freeze beam and hidden platforms that dont exist in mega turrican to explore in super turrican. Plus the bombs are different and its a bit harder. Mega has more polish and content but i never has a snes and im eager for the shift in gameplay. No rope will make things way different so hidden platforms sound exciting to me since i love exploring in turrican.

Gotta play em all with a turrican title! Each port had distinct differences that often completely shifted movement and combat experiences.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow...didnt realize which versiona some of these were till i saw the sixaxis post.

Turrican Anthology Vol. 1 includes…

• Turrican (Amiga)
  • Turrican 2 (Amiga)
  • Super Turrican (SNES)
  • Super Turrican Director's Cut (SNES)
  • Mega Turrican Score Attack (MD/GEN)
Turrican Anthology Vol. 2 includes…

• Turrican 3 (Amiga)
  • Mega Turrican (MD/GEN)
  • Mega Turrican Director's Cut (MD/GEN)
  • Super Turrican 2 (SNES)
  • Super Turrican 1 Score Attack (SNES)

EDIT:
Btw if yall are hurtin hard for games like Turrican remember we have seen 2 very stellar remastered releases in recent years of euroshooters.

One is the unreleased 1994 psygnosis game hardcore now renamed ULTRACORE ($20) and the other was the 2012 legend Gunlord that got remastered with new content as GUNLORD X($10).

Last edited:

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Ffffuuuuuuuu.... how have I never heard of Ultracore!? This thread delivered, thanks! :D

Also: Gunlord X, the GOAT. Everybody buy this instead :D

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not thrilled at feeling compelled to order from Strictly again having still not received anything from them but I'm probably too weak to resist.

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly have no idea how hard it is to get any of this manufactured, but I can remember seeing some retro-based Kickstarters with pledge rewards where you get stuff on a 3,5" diskette.

Regular PC HD (high density) 3,5" floppies at 1,44 MB are still being made, but Amiga used DD (double density) diskettes with lower capacity. Some models can theoretically read HD floppies formatted to the specific 880 kB setup, with one of the holes in the floppy covered, but it's probably a hassle to try to make a product that will work on everyone's Amiga.

Edit: Also, they renamed Hardcore? I knew that it was coming out eventually, but I missed the rename. That's a Digital Illusions game, it was being developed simultaneously with Benefactor and Pinball Illusions back then, until Psygnosis cancelled it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Regular PC HD (high density) 3,5" floppies at 1,44 MB are still being made, but Amiga used DD (double density) diskettes with lower capacity. Some models can theoretically read HD floppies formatted to the specific 880 kB setup, with one of the holes in the floppy covered, but it's probably a hassle to try to make a product that will work on everyone's Amiga.

Edit: Also, they renamed Hardcore? I knew that it was coming out eventually, but I missed the rename. That's a Digital Illusions game, it was being developed simultaneously with Benefactor and Pinball Illusions back then, until Psygnosis cancelled it.
Yup. Threw me too trying to find it. Kept looking for hardcore because the original announce trailer about it did not mention a renaming. Then lo and behold a year late I find its out already under the ULTRACORE name for $20.

Trying to find more Turrican like titles tbh. Really liked Gunlord X. I wonder if indies have made any solid ones?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Strange that the C64 versions isn't on the collections. That was the original platform, after all.

I'm still kind of interested in the collections, but I'd agree with the general consensus that they are priced to high. I'll probably buy them digitally in an inevitable sale further down the line.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
Yea I beat Gunlord X on Switch and I loved it, great homage. Ultracore is pretty good too but not as good.

Then there's the fan game Hurrican which is quite good too.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm weak

Orderedthe Switch CE, the Megadrive Mega Turrican print (even though I own it already) because it has the Director's Cut on it, the SNES Super Turrican and Turrican 2 even though I also own them CIB because Director's Cut also.

270€... fml

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
For someone who's only ever played Super Turrican and enjoyed it (but wouldn't put it on the level of other run 'n guns, frankly), which of the two collections is worth trying? It's one of my favourite genres but I am not spending 100 euros on 1 extra game + reversions of games.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who's only ever played Super Turrican and enjoyed it (but wouldn't put it on the level of other run 'n guns, frankly), which of the two collections is worth trying? It's one of my favourite genres but I am not spending 100 euros on 1 extra game + reversions of games.
The first with Turrican and Turrican 2 on the Amiga

They're the pinnacle of the franchise for most people

Personnaly I love Turrican 3/Mega Turrican (which is much much better than its Super NES version Super Turrican) but if you were to only get one, it would be it.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I just wished Factor5 were making this in order to get funding for a new remake or new game on next-gen platforms. But we have no communication or confirmation in this regard.

Then again, they could have just went to Kickstarter for this *sigh*

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Bumping this because Turrican Flashback Collection is available on the EU PS store:

Turrican Flashback Collection

A legendária série Turrican está de volta Experiencia 4 jogos de ação clássicos nesta inovadora coleção com níveis altíssimos, música excecional e controlos modernizados. Esta é a derradeira experiência de jogo retro Descobre todos os segredos, ergue-te contra as máquinas e participa no 30º...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just wished Factor5 were making this in order to get funding for a new remake or new game on next-gen platforms. But we have no communication or confirmation in this regard.

Then again, they could have just went to Kickstarter for this *sigh*
Retrogamer actually did a really cool feature on Turrican a month or so back and Factor 5 did mention that the collection is being used to gauge potential interest in a sequel to the series so I'm not giving up hope quite yet.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Bumping this because Turrican Flashback Collection is available on the EU PS store:

A legendária série Turrican está de volta Experiencia 4 jogos de ação clássicos nesta inovadora coleção com níveis altíssimos, música excecional e controlos modernizados. Esta é a derradeira experiência de jogo retro Descobre todos os segredos, ergue-te contra as máquinas e participa no 30º...
Thanks for the heads up. Will get this at full price to support them. Not sure if I should go with the Switch version instead...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Sweet, hope people who never played enjoy. It's a bizarre as hell release though with like 3 different collections and none with all titles together, but Turrican Flashback is ideal for me for having the main trilogy (1, 2, Mega) plus Super thrown in as well, which I never played or fancied tbh, but I'd love to be surprised.
I'll get the physical version though probably.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I can't show more support than the Switch CE, Mega and Super 1-2 preorders even though I own the Amiga originals and the console releases already ;p

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious how the original holds up, because no one ever mentions it, and while I obviously liked 2 better, I still really loved the first game.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Btw if yall are hurtin hard for games like Turrican remember we have seen 2 very stellar remastered releases in recent years of euroshooters.

One is the unreleased 1994 psygnosis game hardcore now renamed ULTRACORE ($20) and the other was the 2012 legend Gunlord that got remastered with new content as GUNLORD X($10).

Had never heard of either of these. Just bought them immediately!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The first one holds really well to this day and is a highly sought after title on C64/ST/Amiga
Oh, that's good to hear then lol. I'd happily play and usually enjoy anything on the Amiga back in the day, so I wasn't sure if it was genuinely good, or just enjoyable for me back in the mid 90s.

Oct 26, 2017
Turrican 2 is still a great game. Only one things really annoys me - no knockback or invincibility after taking a hit, so you can be killed by just standing in an enemy for a bit.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I was never any good at these games but I will buy this if it helps breathe life in to Factor 5.

EA, Nintendo or somebody should be signing whatever needs to be signed to make their Gamecube catalogue available again. I don't even care if they're ports with zero enhancement.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of save system does this new collection have, considering the original 1+2 on Amiga had nothing? Was thinking about it earlier and it was basically the Demon's Souls of the day, considering if you wanted to complete it you had to do a multiple level/boss run on a single playthrough.

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of save system does this new collection have, considering the original 1+2 on Amiga had nothing? Was thinking about it earlier and it was basically the Demon's Souls of the day, considering if you wanted to complete it you had to do a multiple level/boss run on a single playthrough.

Most platform/action games had no real save functions back then. Playing the entire game in one run was the norm.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Turrican (any of them) are close to Souls games even back in the day. The levels are huge, and there's no saving, but lives are plentiful, as are weapons and power ups. I have no problems clearing any of them. And yeah, as said above me, action games seldom had any sort of saving (maybe a password system or secret level select if your very lucky). Its just how games were back then.

Im half tempted to grab the PS4 version for some fun this weekend. I've already got the Switch physical releases of both parts on order, but could be tempted to double dip if the trophy list isnt rubbish.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Most platform/action games had no real save functions back then. Playing the entire game in one run was the norm.

Yeah, true, but maybe it was the fact that I was, like, 12 years old or something, but T1 and 2 seemed way way harder than the norm for longer stretches. But, eh, anyways... :)

So, any word on saving system?

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

It's a simple emulator rom compilation, it has rewinding and a save state. They didn't modify the original games.

Trophy mode disables these assists.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, true, but maybe it was the fact that I was, like, 12 years old or something, but T1 and 2 seemed way way harder than the norm for longer stretches. But, eh, anyways... :)

So, any word on saving system?
Turrican 2 isn'T a hard game by any metric, it'S just a very long game

Turrican is harder though

Turrican 3 is very easy

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It's a simple emulator rom compilation, it has rewinding and a save state. They didn't modify the original games.

Trophy mode disables these assists.

Hmmm, okay, cheers. :) Not sure whether to pay full price or wait for a sale. I used to love 1 and 2, but haven't played them in 25+ years, so wondering how much I'll like them now. :/

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, okay, cheers. :) Not sure whether to pay full price or wait for a sale. I used to love 1 and 2, but haven't played them in 25+ years, so wondering how much I'll like them now. :/

It is fairly expensive for what it is, 19.99€ would be the sweet spot. I think Turrican 2 is still great, first game is abit rough and never got into the console versions :D

I bought it mostly just to show support and hoping someone will eventually make Turrican 4.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Great that it's on PSN. Bought the physical which is due in a few months but downloading this to show support for a new Turrican game. One of my favourite action game series from the past. Amazing soundtracks too I own all the cd's and remastered soundtrack from the composer. :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
When are these shipping? Because im moving now...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Broke down and grabbed it on the PS4 (well, PS5 in my case). So far so great. While its only 4 of the games (wish it was all of them, including the C64 and NES releases but hey) it still seems like a pretty decent series of ports so far. Tried Turrican 2 as I know that game rather well, and it plays like a dream. The addition of a proper jump button is probably the best QoL change I could have asked for. Extra lives are everywhere, more so than I remember - if you explore off the main path chances are a 1up or two are there.

Options wise, the screen options are pretty darn good. Aside from the usual screen ratios and screen filter, I was surprised at just how tweakable the CRT/scanline filter is, its really in depth.

Honestly, I only have two issues with the ports so far and neither are really a problem. First off is I can't view the trophies. I can unlock trophies (you get one for using the super smart bomb, another for beating the optional UFO boss on stage 2) but the list doesnt appear. Oh well, that'll be fixed soon Im sure.

The second issue is that the game loads so darn quick that the music that plays when the levels load in Turrican 2 only plays the first couple of notes and that's it, because then the level loads. Its a weird complaint, but I really loved how that music built the tension back in the day.

Otherwise, colour me impressed.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Broke down and grabbed it on the PS4 (well, PS5 in my case). So far so great. While its only 4 of the games (wish it was all of them, including the C64 and NES releases but hey) it still seems like a pretty decent series of ports so far. Tried Turrican 2 as I know that game rather well, and it plays like a dream. The addition of a proper jump button is probably the best QoL change I could have asked for. Extra lives are everywhere, more so than I remember - if you explore off the main path chances are a 1up or two are there.

Options wise, the screen options are pretty darn good. Aside from the usual screen ratios and screen filter, I was surprised at just how tweakable the CRT/scanline filter is, its really in depth.

Honestly, I only have two issues with the ports so far and neither are really a problem. First off is I can't view the trophies. I can unlock trophies (you get one for using the super smart bomb, another for beating the optional UFO boss on stage 2) but the list doesnt appear. Oh well, that'll be fixed soon Im sure.

The second issue is that the game loads so darn quick that the music that plays when the levels load in Turrican 2 only plays the first couple of notes and that's it, because then the level loads. Its a weird complaint, but I really loved how that music built the tension back in the day.

Otherwise, colour me impressed.
Wait what? Did you buy it digital or should the physicals be arriving now?

Oct 27, 2017
I see it on the UK store but I don't see an option to purchase or a price. Does anyone know how much it will be? I'm mainly only interested for Turrican 2 which is the one I'm most familiar with. Played lots of the first and some of the third, but none of the others or the console ports.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's cool to see Turrican games re-released but having this divided into two compilations and not including all the old versions is disappointing.

On the plus side, Factor 5's site still has a few Amiga roms for free (BC Kid, Katakis, and R-Type).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I see it on the UK store but I don't see an option to purchase or a price. Does anyone know how much it will be? I'm mainly only interested for Turrican 2 which is the one I'm most familiar with. Played lots of the first and some of the third, but none of the others or the console ports.
£24.99, not cheap by any means. For pretty much any other series I'd wait for a sale, but Turrican is up there as one of the best series ever for me, so I dont mind supporting them.