• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Man, I thought Sony rescinded the whole "No Platinums" for games thing.
One of the weirdest policies they have still.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I thought Sony rescinded the whole "No Platinums" for games thing.
One of the weirdest policies they have still.

They did but yeah this sucks. I hate when devs skimp on the trophy list, especially for re-releases

Its even worse in stuff like the Mega Man, Castelvania, and Contra collections where there's like 12-16 trophies and no platinum... with like 5-6 games in each collection! Like come on

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
years later after the xbox port, what took this so long?

The no plat thing isnt weird, it has that many achievements on xbox as well.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the Turok remaster on the Switch some months ago, and it was my first time playing the game in any capacity. I had a blast with it, it definitely holds up as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully any PS4 (and presumably PS5?) owners interested will give it a chance.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Dude i waited forever and ever and ever for this

I even got quite vocal about it and maybe said some not so nice things. (I apologized)

I wanna feel happy but i also still feel angry it took so goddamn long

What a weird victory

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
years later after the xbox port, what took this so long?

The no plat thing isnt weird, it has that many achievements on xbox as well.
What they told me was they diddnt have enough people to port it on time, my initial speculation was that they had one ps4 dev kit and it was stuck with system shock remake coming out first

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that regardless of how many achievements, you still get 1000G on Xbox.
With PS4, when there's no platinum you're getting less due to how the point values are per trophy
Honestly, so? You want a gold trophy for every single event you complete? These things have never, ever been consistent. The only thing that did become consistent this gen on ps4 is every other game having a plat when on ps3 it did not get a plat. Code veronica x for example has 2 lists, no plat on ps3 and a plat on ps4. Steamworld dig 1 has no plat, 2 has a plat. I'm a trophy whore and I'm a higher level than my friend who has nearly 30 more plats than me because of all my years playing PSN games with smaller lists. I'm really not sure why this matters, I'm just happy this is coming to PS4 finally 2 years after xbox, though seeds of evil is still missing when that dropped same day as 1 on the xbox.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing that makes sense to me about what took so long is that it might have been timed exclusive to xbox and switch

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I thought it's currently pretty much up to the discretion of the developer. I know someone 'verified' over here commented on it, but can't remember who it was (@m0dus maybe?)
It kind of both is and isn't. Each trophy type has an assigned point value, and there's two point pools you need to fit in either of. The less trophies you have, the smaller your overall point pool can be. Only the larger point pool can have a platinum, so with smaller games no platinum trophy can be allocated because of the math.
The only thing that makes sense to me about what took so long is that it might have been timed exclusive to xbox and switch
No. We have limited resources and Turok1 was built in a codebase that predated all our console code. Naturally there is no "just compile on game console" button in programming.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Honestly, so? You want a gold trophy for every single event you complete? These things have never, ever been consistent. The only thing that did become consistent this gen on ps4 is every other game having a plat when on ps3 it did not get a plat. Code veronica x for example has 2 lists, no plat on ps3 and a plat on ps4. Steamworld dig 1 has no plat, 2 has a plat. I'm a trophy whore and I'm a higher level than my friend who has nearly 30 more plats than me because of all my years playing PSN games with smaller lists. I'm really not sure why this matters, I'm just happy this is coming to PS4 finally 2 years after xbox, though seeds of evil is still missing when that dropped same day as 1 on the xbox.

I mean I don't disagree, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. But it will always be something that stick out, especially since it's not like these devs would truly ever say no to a PS4 release because they asked them to add a platinum to their game.

Resident Evil 4 on PS4 being a good example of that. Shouldn't take a whole new port like CVX for such things to happen when it should just be a standard imo.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I thought it was already on ps4. I played both ports on xbox one and loved them.
Enjoy!

Exhumed/Powerslave when?

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
No plat?

tenor.gif

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Each trophy type has an assigned point value, and there's two point pools you need to fit in either of. The less trophies you have, the smaller your overall point pool can be. Only the larger point pool can have a platinum, so with smaller games no platinum trophy can be allocated because of the math.

This is super interesting! I didn't know that was how it worked.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It kind of both is and isn't. Each trophy type has an assigned point value, and there's two point pools you need to fit in either of. The less trophies you have, the smaller your overall point pool can be. Only the larger point pool can have a platinum, so with smaller games no platinum trophy can be allocated because of the math.

No. We have limited resources.

Thank you for the clarification, I was wondering what the specifics were and figured it was something on Sony's end. Wish they would drop the point values and just let all games be treated the same. Since I definitely know how much more effort it is to add more achievements/trophies from a port rather than just leave what is there alone or add just one more versus several.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No plat, no prob. While I do enjoy getting platinum trophies, that has no bearing on whether I'll enjoy a game or not. Nice to see this game getting a PS4 port afterall.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I thought Nightdive Studios had beef with Sony?

Edit: NVM I saw the above statement. I just assumed Sony was being difficult

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

I'm well aware of point pool difference between plat and non plat games (as someone with 9000+ of the buggers I should, lol), but isn't it still up to you how to distribute the points allocation? Totally understand if it artistic design (wanted to reward harder trophies with more points) or mathematically it didn't work out with the existing achievements. I'm looking at a game like Gorogoa, which has a platinum trophy, but 11 golds, would that be Sony making an exception, or just pure up to the developer?

To be clear, I'm fine either way, just interested.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
but isn't it still up to you how to distribute the points allocation?
Yes-ish. You have 4 options of point value (that being the bronze/silver/gold/platinum type).
I'm looking at a game like Gorogoa, which has a platinum trophy, but 11 golds, would that be Sony making an exception, or just pure up to the developer?
To be honest, I never thought of trying that. Huh. But yeah, it would come down to aesthetics if you wanted a fair distribution of each type.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Well it goes without saying but day one on ps4
Same goes for turok 2 and turok 3 if that happens

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
If "My Name Is Mayo" can have a Platinum trophy, any game can. IIRC from ages ago on an episode of PS I Love You, they spoke with some "insider knowledge" about how all that works and the gist was that if the developer makes a stink they can get one, but Sony won't just automatically give them to every game.

Also I am so in on this, tried to play the original version and couldn't even wrap my mind around the wonky controls on that damn N64 controller, no idea how I managed that when it first came out.

Jun 23, 2020
The first one is fine, but it hasn't aged as well as the second which I imagine will be coming soon. I really wish Nightdive could get their hands on 3, a game which I genuinely love despite its numerous flaws.

Nov 8, 2017
I remember playing this in 3DFX on my PC back in the 90's.

I hope this version has a wider field of view than the original, or at least an option for it. The original game felt horrible to play, like I was playing an FPS while constantly looking through a scope that I couldn't remove.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
No Plat/only 10 trophies sucks so I'll probably just give it another shot on PC sometime.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already own it but I'm glad, the more releases it has the better, I'm still crossing my fingers for Turok 3 and Rage Wars remasters.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm guessing the second one isn't far off then, and that LRG will inevitably release both of these physically.

Already own it but I'm glad, the more releases it has the better, I'm still crossing my fingers for Turok 3 and Rage Wars remasters.

I'd love a remaster of the GBA game with a better difficulty balance.

Oct 27, 2017

That's really cool to know. I love Trophies and I've always tried to make sense of why some games have Platinums while others don't. Can you shed some more light on the math going behind the "pool" concept? What's the cut off point? Why do some games have more Trophies than others (apart from obvious reasons, like not having anything to tie those Trophies to)?

For example, I've Platinumed quite a few games that have a very low Trophy count, but all of them more than 10 (which is what your game has, IIRC): Metagal, Mochi Mochi Boy, Gravity Duck, Refunct, Zeroptian Invasion, etc. (12), Bouncy Bullets, Without Escape, etc. (13). But then, some others which have more Trophies don't have a Platinum: Superfrog (14), Jetpack Joyride Deluxe, Adventure Capitalist (12), The Walking Dead Season 2 (40!).

It's weird and I've always been curious about the process of assigning Trophies to games.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Can you shed some more light on the math going behind the "pool" concept?
I probably shouldn't, as I've noticed Sony don't actually talk this system much so I'm not sure if I'm breaking their NDA in this area by explaining these systems.
Though as a note, you could actually start to figure out the ball park of these numbers but looking at the various point values of each game. They are consistent.

Oct 27, 2017
I probably shouldn't, as I've noticed Sony don't actually talk this system much so I'm not sure if I'm breaking their NDA in this area by explaining these systems.
Though as a note, you could actually start to figure out the ball park of these numbers but looking at the various point values of each game. They are consistent.

Oh, OK, got it ;) I figured Sony would want to keep it under wraps.