• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed Turok 1 on a whim after not playing it since the N64 launch all those years ago. Never did finish the game back in the day, I was't that great at it. Funnily revisiting the game in these days and I have a deeper appreciation for the game. Fast paced combat and huge levels with a nice emphasis on exploring. Quite refreshing for a FPS game in this day and age. Even the platforming is easier than I remember. I'll definitely be grabbing the Switch port of Turok 2 once I finish the first game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Is this some kind of fuckin' joke?

Is this someone's idea of a sick joke?

Damn, Nightdive, go easy on me! I can only handle so much!

Ps. Omg level 4 is a maaaaaaze!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Bunch of 1 and 2 team made Metroid Prime, no?

And Miyamoto himself wanted Iguana?
I posed a super detailed breakdown of the staff in the early pages of this thread. There's one single art person from T2 who worked on Prime. Nobody else. All the Prime people come from Rage Wars!

->
Actually nobody but one person from Turok 2 ended up at Retro working on everything from Prime 3 onwards (Andy Schwalenberg left after Tropical Freeze). Most of the people from Turok 2 still working in the industry up until at least recently landed at Disney/Junction Point, Blizzard, Bioware Austin, and places like that.

The ears-perking up names come in with Turok: Rage Wars which was lead by none other than Mark Pacini, for example. Along with him, Francisco Javier Lafuente (engineering), and Jason Behr (who actually was the audio guy on Turok 2!) who is credited for design on Rage Wars and went on to work on the entire Prime trilogy and afterwards did F.E.A.R. 2 and Halo 4, Andy O'Neil who was technical lead on the Prime trilogy (most recently worked on Titanfall 1), are the only three guys to jump over to Retro Studios.

Oh hey, random fun discovery, additional programmer from Acclaim, Stevan Hird, ended up at Arkane and contributed to all the Dishonoreds and Prey stuff since then. Also found two people who ended up at working on DOOM 2016.

From Turok 3 there is Don Hogan (senior artist on the Prime trilogy), Neil Hill is now at Ubisoft programming Far Cry games, Joe Ries animating for Rockstar (Payne 3, GTA V, Red Dead series) and that's about it. So the actual Metroid Prime lineage goes back to Turok: Rage Wars mostly. Which is hilarious. Especially considering how poorly their own multiplayer for Prime 2 turned out. :D

little fun addendum: Iguana's VP of Technology Craig Galley ended up co-founding Panic Button!

only thing we could be missing is some uncredited people who worked on the canceled prototypes like Danny Matson, who was lead animator on Ravenblade from 99-01 (no Turok-relation here, just a random tidbit).

from Matson's personal site
screenshot_2019-08-24n0jvh.png

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Level 5 is once again hilariously mazey.

I need to know what Iguana was smoking when they designed these labyrinths lol.

The level design is actually fine, but they desperately needed to find a way to make them less mazey. Visual flair, a better map, I dunno.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Turok 1 on hardcore is fucking insane. Is this even playable?

I got through level 1 but it was tough as hell. I can't believe how strong and fast the enemies get.

-----------

It was great to finish Turok 1 all the way for the first time in like 20 years.

The T-Rex fight is different from the N64 isn't it? And boy was it easy.

Campaigner was even easier. I don't remember the Chronoscepter (sp?) being THAT strong. Hell, even fighting him without it is pretty damn easy.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like the most appropriate place to ask but was the Switch version of Turok 2 ever patched to include multiplayer?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah, sorry there's been no real announcement yet and that it's taken so long with mostly silence. We'll hopefully have a full write up as to what's been going on and why soon enough, but the results should hopefully make up for it more than enough.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I mean this clearly is here to show is you need to fix your network connection. That ping is ...let's say "retro" :D
I live in New Zealand, am already on fiber with commercial grade networking hardware (RouterOS is a must for my job given the many network services I need to use and bridge), the host was in Sweden. Unless you are suggesting I change the speed of light, that ping isn't getting any lower.

It's actually surprising how low it is given everybody is connected over a relay server.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I live in New Zealand, am already on fiber with commercial grade networking hardware (RouterOS is a must for my job given the many network services I need to use and bridge), the host was in Sweden. Unless you are suggesting I change the speed of light, that ping isn't getting any lower.

It's actually surprising how low it is given everybody is connected over a relay server.
Clearly the next logical step is to move to Sweden :D

(this was just a weird 240° throwback jab since back in those days I used to be the 56k person among a crowd of early DSL adopters and ISDN people where I stuck out with my 500+ pings :D)

sox

Oct 27, 2017

108 ping looks pretty good to me as an Australian even before I heard the backstory

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, hope you guys get a bump in usage after implementing that feature

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I've sneakily made the Turok2 playfab crossplay beta on Steam public. It is available in the beta options and is called "playfab beta". You can use this to play multiplayer with the Switch and PS4 users.
Note that:
- This is only available for Windows.
- Don't use this beta for singleplayer progress, as it will break your saves if you try to go back to the base version
- Splitscreen and chat are disabled (there are still ways to do them, please don't try in public sessions, they are disabled for a reason).
- Mods still work but you won't be able to see modded lobbies on PS4 or Switch.
- Given that the Switch and PS4 is live, I may disable this branch at any time if there is an issue with this beta being present along side them.

Oct 26, 2017
I've sneakily made the Turok2 playfab crossplay beta on Steam public. It is available in the beta options and is called "playfab beta". You can use this to play multiplayer with the Switch and PS4 users.
Note that:
- This is only available for Windows.
- Don't use this beta for singleplayer progress, as it will break your saves if you try to go back to the base version
- Splitscreen and chat are disabled (there are still ways to do them, please don't try in public sessions, they are disabled for a reason).
- Mods still work but you won't be able to see modded lobbies on PS4 or Switch.
- Given that the Switch and PS4 is live, I may disable this branch at any time if there is an issue with this beta being present along side them.
You people are spoiling us. đź‘Ť