• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
And the hitbox is the smallest, pickiest thing ever. And this was on N64.
Fun fact, I was surprised to find this out too when we started the remaster, but the "hitbox" is not a hitbox at all. It's actually per-vertex model collision, something not commonly talked about again until the likes of Doom3 and Half-life 2. In a way I'm impressed the N64 could even pull that off, they probably shouldn't have tried though. :V

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Fun fact, I was surprised to find this out too when we started the remaster, but the "hitbox" is not a hitbox at all. It's actually per-vertex model collision, something not commonly talked about again until the likes of Doom3 and Half-life 2. In a way I'm impressed the N64 could even pull that off, they probably shouldn't have tried though. :V

This was always one of the big reasons Turok 2 frustrated me back in 1998. It was just way too easy to miss shots. It's crazy how it's the exact opposite of 1.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh wow bumped the lighting of Turok 2 by 20% and it looks much better, can actually see those nooks in the death marshes now >_>

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
oh wow bumped the lighting of Turok 2 by 20% and it looks much better, can actually see those nooks in the death marshes now >_>
I never played that level back in the day because all the darkness and the Purlins used to the scare me. But now I realized how fun the level is... if it weren't for those stupid poison swamps. Worst thing is that they almost look like the grass texture and the Joycon drift doesn't help at all.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This version doesn't have the weapon select wheel? Didn't Turok 2 basically invent that? Then I remember Perfect Dark using it and I didn't like it there either.

I remember not liking it as a kid but nowadays I'd like to go back to it.

Cycling through all the weapons isn't very elegant. I feel the same in Doom 1 and Doom 3 as well.

Doom 2016 did it very well.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
How the hell am I missing the last Wii U key in Level 1?

I'm already moving on to Level 3 (or is it 4)

I know I musta missed this key last time I played too.

I've run through this level like 3 times already, found some stuff I missed cuz I didn't see this door open or I didn't go back to this turn I missed. And yet I'm still missing the last key. I have no idea how I'm still missing a key.
.....where?

Man this game is just such a maze. This shames any maziness 1 had. What were they thinking with this?

Still an awesome game but this is a major flaw.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This version doesn't have the weapon select wheel? Didn't Turok 2 basically invent that? Then I remember Perfect Dark using it and I didn't like it there either.

I remember not liking it as a kid but nowadays I'd like to go back to it.

Cycling through all the weapons isn't very elegant. I feel the same in Doom 1 and Doom 3 as well.

Doom 2016 did it very well.
5EDfgsL.gif

for reference (I didn't even remember this was in there).

How the hell am I missing the last Wii U key in Level 1?
Wii U frustrating gamers even in 2019

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
5EDfgsL.gif

for reference (I didn't even remember this was in there).

Wii U frustrating gamers even in 2019

Actually I think I did also use the select wheel in 2. But cycling through all the weapons in 2 gets crazy later. There are a LOT of guns in 2.

Anyways missing that last key was my own fault. Here's what happened. This part looks like another part in the stage that leads to one of the children so I got it confused for that and didn't go in. Plus right beside it is another ladder leading to a tunnel that also looks the same. Again, they really needed to make the levels less mazey in 2. Turok 1 has way more repetitive walls and textures but STILL manages to make the level design stand out and easier to remember.

So while it was my own fault for being careless, I think the game is still a bit to blame. I have a bone to pick with the portal warps too. I'm never gonna use them cuz since the level design is so confusing, warping somewhere won't even help me. It'll just confuse me more. Better to run through the whole level like an idiot lol.

Anyways I'm on to the Death Marshes for the first time in like 20 years and I don't remember this stage being particularly mazey so I hope it's smoother sailing from here on out.

The music is so damn good in this stage (especially PC version music which I consider the true soundtrack). I think stage 2 has the worst stage music in the game. It's the odd one out. Level 1 and 3 are so much better. 4 and 5 have great music too.

Uh oh, I remember Hive of the Mantids being a big maze too. Forgot what Primagen's Lightship is like now...

---------------

Anyways here's me missing that damn key plus a great example of the picky as hell aim. Edward850 I'm learning :)

Now onto the Death Marshes!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
It does, it's unbound by default however because we ran out of room to put it, so where you want it and what buttons it replaces is up to you.

*gasp*!

Oh awesome, thanks! I'm gonna throw it on now! I'm on level 4 and the weapon selection is large.

I assume the N64 version didn't have blood splatter on the walls? It's such a cool effect and really sells the violence even further. I wish other games did this. Looks great too, it's such a saturated red. Doom 3 does it but the red tone is so dark it doesn't have the same effect. It even gets on the item pickups on the world which is unexpected.

Switching back between Doom 1, Doom 3, Turok 1, and Turok 2 is definitely very interesting. All 4 play very differently! After playing tons of Turok lately I'm really missing gyro on Doom 3 now.

The gyro is delicious in these games. Thank you Nightdive!

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh missed the discount. I'll at least buy the first one then since I played that one back in the day. I also did get a cart recently, but man jumping and controlling with the c buttons are the worst.

N64 is still one of the worst controllers of all time for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone comment on what gyro sensitivity they think works best for them (Turok 1)? I have been tweaking it for a while and can't really settle on anything. Also, should I use both Yaw and Roll simultaneously if I like BotW controls or is that weird inverted thing talked about in the old Turok 1 Switch announcement thread still an issue?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Can anyone comment on what gyro sensitivity they think works best for them (Turok 1)? I have been tweaking it for a while and can't really settle on anything. Also, should I use both Yaw and Roll simultaneously if I like BotW controls or is that weird inverted thing talked about in the old Turok 1 Switch announcement thread still an issue?
I have "both" in T1 and sensitivity maxed. Wish it could go a little higher even still.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The inverted thing's still an issue, unfortunately.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

This works pretty perfectly for me.
ECSngcqU0AApBLX
ECSngctUYAE9kz5

-------------

Was this is in the N64 version? In this version the music changes a LOT, I don't remember it being like that. Was this a PC version thing?

Funny little oddities I found.

This made me smile :)

----------

Locational damage scaling. Head shots typically have a high damage multiplier, arm/leg shots usually low (it changes per enemy, the scale is defined by the model bones).

Ah I figured as much, thanks. So I guess head and chest are the best place to aim. Will be tough with the picky "hitbox".

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Was this is in the N64 version? In this version the music changes a LOT, I don't remember it being like that. Was this a PC version thing?
It's possible to happen in the N64 version, the music is actually defined by the region your standing in (regions make up the physical geometry you collide with) so it's a very easy mistake to make. Though I don't know if it's a mistake the N64 version had, a mistake that the initial PC version made or a mistake when Kaiser was updating the maps to hide holes and update visual.

Funny little oddities I found.
The box thing is weirdly intentional. The box is actually a game actor, not geometry, the AI is designed to be able to find and take cover behind it. You also can't stand on most actors, the physics explicitly shoves you off.

As for that weird ledge, that actually comes into what I mentioned before, the collision mesh is made up of regions. You can't escape these regions under any circumstance, similar to why you can't go below a floor in Doom, the engine explicitly knows and expects you to be inside the bounds of a region. This means that in some conditions you can do some weird things to the sloped ceiling regions to shunt you back to the floor instantly because the physics gets mixed up in trying to move you across the slope naturally and trying to keep you in the bounds of it. I'm not 100% sure if this is the result of it reseting you to the centre of the region (a fail safe situation if it finds you've escaped it outside of the movement step) or if it simply finds that the next logical position is just on the floor after iterating possible locations.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a legal reason why Turok 1 is not called Dinosaur Hunter in the remaster? Turok 2 kept the seeds of evil subtitle. It's bothering me a bit.

I've learned a lot about these ports thanks to the Switch release. Still considering the physical version too bad it's so expensive since I'm not in the states. What are the Shipping box and protective case #1.99 add ons? Do they ship it without a box? is the protective case generic or themed in the game you bought? Have never bought a LMRs release.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Nostalgia hitting me.

Turok 2 was always a weird game for me as I was a massive fan of Turok 1 and didn't fully understand the concept of a departure sequel at the time. I expected it to be a lot more like Turok 1 so when 2 came and was very different in many ways, it was a weird disappointment I didn't understand or want to admit. Couple that with really poor FPS, more mazey levels, and that super tiny "hitbox" and it really spoiled the experience for me. However I knew it was a good game spoiled by some glaring flaws, and the good things really blew me away. I remember loving stuff like the different music (I actually didn't love all of 1's OST like I do now til later), the ridiculously cool weapons, gore, animations, etc.

I was such a Turok 1 purist that I remember being disappointed that the hand in 2 had too much detail and was a lighter skin tone.

It felt so good to play Nightdive's remaster on PC when it came out. It was like finally playing the version of the game I wanted in 1998. It was CATHARTIC :p

Dat gyro. Dat anagrammatic caption lol.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I wish there were legit joycons that color in the OP

6197HqTcMiL._AC_.jpg

? :) (sadly no inverse options yet afaik?)

edit: oh you mean the dark blue/dark red ones?

Is there a legal reason why Turok 1 is not called Dinosaur Hunter in the remaster? Turok 2 kept the seeds of evil subtitle. It's bothering me a bit.

I've learned a lot about these ports thanks to the Switch release. Still considering the physical version too bad it's so expensive since I'm not in the states. What are the Shipping box and protective case #1.99 add ons? Do they ship it without a box? is the protective case generic or themed in the game you bought? Have never bought a LMRs release.
They come in bubbler wrappers. You don't need the cardboard box unless you have aggressively shitty postal services where you live or something. Shipping to mainland Europe and UK is $15. If you ever go for a special edition, it will be more due to weight/size (the two turok classic bundles, when they were still available, brought it up to $19).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
6197HqTcMiL._AC_.jpg

? :) (sadly no inverse options yet afaik?)

edit: oh you mean the dark blue/dark red ones?

They come in bubbler wrappers. You don't need the cardboard box unless you have aggressively shitty postal services where you live or something. Shipping to mainland Europe and UK is $15. If you ever go for a special edition, it will be more due to weight/size (the two turok classic bundles, when they were still available, brought it up to $19).

turokot4ajfl.png

These darker variants don't officially exist right?

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Turok 1. My 10 year old self still connects to that game. So good

Starting Turok 2 and I remember this a lot less. However I think I want old saves back so my lives actually matter... where we're the save points in the original game?

Also is there subtitles, I can't hear the funky alien chick at all on my tv?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Can we please talk about something I haven't ever seen mentioned once not only in this thread, but anywhere?

The jump! Turok seems to have the same mechanic from the DKC games where you can dip into a pit yet still jump in mid air out of it.

(Turok 2 still has it, but he doesn't move as fast as he does in 1 so it's not as noticeable/effective)

Observe: (4 sec mark you can see I accidentally fall into the pit but luckily I hit the jump button and avoided certain death)

Dat Gyro.

where we're the save points in the original game?

The portal stations I believe.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Lovely.

I'm quite certain the N64 version always had the color of the blood consistent. Is this a PC version bug?

Good times.

Switch it up with some Turok 2. Still wish the Shredder was stronger. But it's such a cool gun.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone having problems finding the way, what helped me was opening the map and looking where there are open spots. That's usually where you have to go.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How does this control with the switch joycons? I feel they usually have a weird deadzone-feeling that i fear might be a problem without the pro controller.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The gyro controls feel great to me for precision aiming, although a couple people have had issues with them. There was a video posted earlier detailing their qualms.
I feel this was a question about the sticks? I mostly play on the TV so I don't have much to contribute other than not noticing anything particular the few times I went handheld.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
that's the critter juice, I think that's also specific to those enemies.

No I mean you can see the blood color for them is both yellow and red while in the N64 version I remember it just being yellow. I could be wrong though.

I'm just starting Lair of the Blind Ones now. Been forever since I played this at all. I love the enemies and atmosphere of this level. So excited to play this.

Turok 1 vibes in this stage.

Loving this gun.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Completely unrelated to the point of this video, but oh god, how can you guys do Turok 1 platforming without turning on the map? Makes jumping 100x easier IMO, lets you know exactly where you are relative to the platforms.

I'm 100% fine with Turok's platforming. I love it. I only had trouble with it when I was 10. Non issue since early 97 :)

It's not as hard as people think.