• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think I can put anymore time into Turok 2 until I get my joycon back from repair. The one I'm trying to use has drift, and I'm constantly running off of ledges in level 2. I can't send this one back due to putting it in a dpad shell.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
This is probably a silly question for this thread, but as someone who never played Turok on N64, is it worth playing on Switch?

The 25% discount is tempting.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
This is probably a silly question for this thread, but as someone who never played Turok on N64, is it worth playing on Switch?

The 25% discount is tempting.

I think so. Had it for PC for a while now. Reading this thread got me to finally install it and... I'm hooked again lol.

Edit: $15 is a good price too. It is very old school, but it's a meaty game and tons of fun.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

these are just evil. can't afford that at all but want this so badly, especially with that OST and those retro boxes :(

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is their international shipping?

The double pack is just a slip cover with the two individual games and their individual packaging right? Cuz that's Castlevania best of DS level box art

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
How is their international shipping?

The double pack is just a slip cover with the two individual games and their individual packaging right? Cuz that's Castlevania best of DS level box art
Slow but good. They ship it to some company in the UK from which it then goes to wherever you live so you tend to avoid the customs nonsense, in my experience. it's $15 to Germany, probably same/similar to neighboring countries.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think so. Had it for PC for a while now. Reading this thread got me to finally install it and... I'm hooked again lol.

Edit: $15 is a good price too. It is very old school, but it's a meaty game and tons of fun.
Nice. Thanks for the endorsement.

After seeing the LRG post, I am kind of tempted to get the physical double pack. I didn't play either game back in their day, and I also don't have any LRG releases yet.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
In Mantid Hive in T2 and feel like I am stuck at some pool. Trying to not look it up but man...

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Somehow the word of a discount of Turok 1 eluded me. I have some Gold points, so I will download this soon.

Turnstyle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Turok as it's on sale. I never had an N64 back in the day (and didn't know there was a PC port), so I missed it on release. Wow. Been having a great time. I love old school FPS games, and this is ticking all the boxes for me. The emphasis on exploration, instead of endless corridors, is making me really happy.

Considering picking up Turok 2 while it's still on sale, but have a question - does it have a save anywhere system, or does it use the same save point method of the first game?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Somehow the word of a discount of Turok 1 eluded me. I have some Gold points, so I will download this soon.
Remember that the discount runs out tomorrow.

I picked up Turok as it's on sale. I never had an N64 back in the day (and didn't know there was a PC port), so I missed it on release. Wow. Been having a great time. I love old school FPS games, and this is ticking all the boxes for me. The emphasis on exploration, instead of endless corridors, is making me really happy.

Considering picking up Turok 2 while it's still on sale, but have a question - does it have a save anywhere system, or does it use the same save point method of the first game?
It does.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I LOVE old FPS games but I can't for the life of me end level 1 of Turok 2. I did all the main objectives but can only find an exit that takes you to space!

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Been having a blast with T2 on Switch :)

Only real complaint (aside from slightly unstable frame rate, though it's still pretty solid overall) is I could do with a higher sensitivity for yaw horizontal motion control, even at 100% I find it's a bit low on both pro controller and undocked w/joycons attached. Might be a case of the deadzone needing shrinking, hard to tell.

Otherwise it's a treat to be playing an old FPS looking this sharp and mostly smooth on a handheld :)

I LOVE old FPS games but I can't for the life of me end level 1 of Turok 2. I did all the main objectives but can only find an exit that takes you to space!

It's not too far from the entance to that space bit (assuming you mean the internal space station looking area where you get a cut scene), you have to turn left from the entrance, go down the downwards sloping corridor, then go left under the bridge. It's in the following video at the timemark linked (32:40)

The only thing is I believe the doors to the two switches at 33:13 are initially locked, not sure how I unlocked them. If they are still locked you may need to go (!) marker hunting

EDIT: Wow, watching that footage the boss fight seems much harder there than it did on my playthrough, I had respawning explosive shotgun shells! Not sure if that's due to the video maker playing on a higher difficulty or remaster rebalancing

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK

Only real complaint (aside from slightly unstable frame rate, though it's still pretty solid overall) is I could do with a higher sensitivity for yaw horizontal motion control, even at 100% I find it's a bit low on both pro controller and undocked w/joycons attached. Might be a case of the deadzone needing shrinking, hard to tell.

Otherwise it's a treat to be playing an old FPS looking this sharp and mostly smooth on a handheld :)

It's not too far from the entance to that space bit (assuming you mean the internal space station looking area where you get a cut scene), you have to turn left from the entrance, go down the downwards sloping corridor, then go left under the bridge. It's in the following video at the timemark linked (32:40)

The only thing is I believe the doors to the two switches at 33:13 are initially locked, not sure how I unlocked them. If they are still locked you may need to go (!) marker hunting

EDIT: Wow, watching that footage the boss fight seems much harder there than it did on my playthrough, I had respawning explosive shotgun shells! Not sure if that's due to the video maker playing on a higher difficulty or remaster rebalancing

Awesome, cheers for this, I'll have a look once I've had a play around with Ion Fury later!

random gamer

Jan 9, 2018
I'm really enjoying playing through Turok 2 again, the Switch is a great console for old school shooters, I've now got Turok 1&2 and Doom, 1,2 & 3 on a handheld console! I'd love if we could Duke Nukem 3d on it as well!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

I agree with this, I'd love slightly higher sensitivity options in both T1 and T2. But it also might be the deadzone like you say. Nintendo should put out some system-level API for "Breath of the Wild" settings and "Splatoon 2 settings" that devs can just tap into and then players can control that on a system level without games needing to implement it. Wishful layperson thinking, I know.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I need help I'm so pissed. Turok 1 level 2 I feel like I'm almost done with level. I see a blue portal and it takes me back to the hub world and when I go back to level 2 I start at beginning of the level. What am I missing here?? Do I have to play the whole level over again??

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I need help I'm so pissed. Turok 1 level 2 I feel like I'm almost done with level. I see a blue portal and it takes me back to the hub world and when I go back to level 2 I start at beginning of the level. What am I missing here?? Do I have to play the whole level over again??
In the hub you go to level 3. :)

Level 1 has the keys for both level 2 and 3 so you can go non-linear from then on. Check the pause screen, go to keys and see which keys you're potentially missing. You can walk out of the level by going through the entrance or exit portal.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Each level has keys to discover that unlock new portals in the hub. Check "Keys" in the pause menu to see which ones you have collected in each level. If any are still blued-out, you still need to find them. They are usually easy to discover and if you are missing any, it often means you didn't check a route. (Also there is another collectible to find in each level that if fully assembled....)

For someone who never played this games... Turok or Turok 2?

Both are a bit different. Turok 1 is the better place to start I'd argue.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
For someone who never played this games... Turok or Turok 2?

Turok 1 is much more linear. Get into level, go through it, find keys, and get out. Some secrets like Chronoscepter pieces are around the levels (one in each) but it is pretty straight forward with only one maze-ish level (catacombs). Some sweet weapons of mass destruction like the Quad Rocket Launcher and Particle Accelerator...good stuff.

Turok 2 adds more story to it, better and worse weapons, and objectives. You play through the level but you can't finish the level until you complete the objects (destroy this, rescue that, etc), and then you have to defend the energy totem from baddies. There is a lot more to it and feels like a huge step-up. All the story has a narrator and the levels vary more. Some weapons are just a lot of fun here but then you get the Tranq gun and Charge Dart and it really just gets in your way when changing weapons.

Bottom line, do both. I think you appreciate 2 more after seeing 1 and where they started at.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I finished Turok 2 yeahhh. Honestly I have mixed feelings with the game, I overall enjoyed quite a bit and it does a lot of things better than Turok 1, maybe a couple of levels are a little bit too long and repetitive on it's layout, but that's not that bad when the shooting it's so fun. However all goes down when you missed an item or have to backtrack when you earned a new ability, because good luck trying to find where the item was, especially in the last 3 levels, that also happened in Turok 1 but because here the levels are so much bigger and complex, it's like 10x worse, I honestly had to look at a couple of walktroughts on youtube to see where some items were without going in circles for an hour. That can easily be solved with allowing you to see the whole map and not just a fraction and mark with a sign the items you saw but didn't collect, like in a Metroidvania. I appretiate how Nightdive added the sign to the items that are near you though.

Still, I enjoyed it more than Turok 1 when I didn't have to backtrack and in a second playtrough probably it won't be that bad. Also it's a great remaster and I hope Nightdive can also port Forsaken to the Switch in the future.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Got 2 $20 points cards. Ready to buy me some Turok 2 tonight. Time to finish what I started two years ago on PC!

Turok 1 and 2 back home on the Switch!

Turok for Smash :) ??

Turnstyle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished up Turok last night, my first time playing the game. I absolutely loved it....until level 8. Everything unraveled for me pretty quickly here. It was just too long. It felt like it went on forever and I was so ready for it to just be over. The weird spacing of the checkpoint gates didn't help either - felt like some were literally a minute apart, and others had long stretches between them. I also didn't really enjoy the final boss fight.

I am still very positive about the game, and it feels like it should have a place among Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem as a classic 90s FPS. Glad I've finally got around to playing it.

Right, Turok 2 is next up!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
YESSSSSSSSS!!!! THIS IS SOOOOOO GOOD.

Love the Turok 2 remasters cuz they feel like the version I always dreamed of back when it was first shown! Gaming mags from the 90s! The sequel to fucking TUROK!!

This game!!!

Why does this Switch version seem so different from the one I have on Steam??

Gyro controls are fantastic. Once you start getting used to them and they click, magic happens!

The hit box is like the exact opposite of Turok 1.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Edward850 are you satisfied with the reception and sales on the Switch so far? Understandably there seems to be quite a bit of nostalgia for the games on Nintendo systems and at least Turok 2 is charting quite high on the eShop. You're probably not allowed to give out numbers, but can you compare it to the PC or XBox launch?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Edward850 are you satisfied with the reception and sales on the Switch so far? Understandably there seems to be quite a bit of nostalgia for the games on Nintendo systems and at least Turok 2 is charting quite high on the eShop. You're probably not allowed to give out numbers, but can you compare it to the PC or XBox launch?
I don't have numbers (and there won't be for a while yet, game hasn't even been out for a month), but the LRG had preorders sold out in less than a day so it seems to be doing quite well.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I'm on level 4 and 3 in Turok 1 and 2 respectively, so halfway through both.
I am really enjoying both games more than I anticipated, and I am playing both for the first time - so no nostalgia involved.
I was born in 1990, never had a N64 and started actively playing PC FPS-games around 2003, so I missed a lot of the classics. I remember in old gaming magazines that the key-hunt style of FPS design was belittled as a thing of the last but in the age of extreme habdholding it feels like a breath of fresh air.
Thanks to Nightdive for these Remasters, you really did a great job!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
YESSSSSSSSS!!!! THIS IS SOOOOOO GOOD.

Love the Turok 2 remasters cuz they feel like the version I always dreamed of back when it was first shown! Gaming mags from the 90s! The sequel to fucking TUROK!!

Yo carlos, my man. What did you do to your brightness settings there oO

I don't have numbers (and there won't be for a while yet, game hasn't even been out for a month), but the LRG had preorders sold out in less than a day so it seems to be doing quite well.
As someone who tried to buy the classics special editions with the retro box and CD and stuff ...they sold out not within a day but within actual minutes. Minutes you could count on one hand (the second batch was up for like 10-15 minutes all told). Thank the heavens the standard versions are an open preorder...

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
As someone who tried to buy the classics special editions with the retro box and CD and stuff ...they sold out not within a day but within actual minutes. Minutes you could count on one hand (the second batch was up for like 10-15 minutes all told). Thank the heavens the standard versions are an open preorder...

Yeah, they should also consider selling both games as a collection at best buy, IMO.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I see - somehow I figured that you would get sales updates by the 1000s or so and not based on time. But fingers crossed, it's great to see the series/ports find it's second spring on the system.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

It was closer to like 10 minutes lol, shit went quick. I was very, but happily, surprised! Great job on the ports btw!! I still remember going to Toys R Us on launch when the first one came out, and I've loved this series ever since!!

Edit: Beaten on the LRG part :-)

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I kept eyeballing the double-pack, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I didn't play these games when they were originally released, so I felt like I should leave the fancy editions to folks with more nostalgia/fondness for 'em.

I've got a ton to play right now, so I'm just going to keep my eyes peeled down the line for sales on the digital versions.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe the removed the discount BEFORE the weekend. Ugh. Gonna wait this one out.

Edit: I'm a dummy. It was discounted last weekend. Gonna buy it in any case lol.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Good lord 2 is a maze.

And the hitbox is the smallest, pickiest thing ever. And this was on N64. Even with more modern controls it's still hard. 2 is way harder than 1.

I caught up to where I got on PC (2 years ago?).
Beat the second level but missing objectives.

Level 2 is such a maze.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This thread getting bumped kills me. Not going to even try to go back to level 2 without a functioning joycon, though. Not worth the frustration.