• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes.

took some pics of the some options (there are more)
69020458_245197119842dvj7f.jpg
67923585_2451971168423zjb1.jpg
67962671_245197118508qakji.jpg
68580344_245197117508kij8y.jpg

It's only recently that people started giving props to that Alien Resurrection PSOne game by Argonaut which brought in that dual-stick control scheme we still use today for the first time (not counting Goldeneye/Perfect Dark's two-controller dual-stick setup).

I'd argue that GE and PD's setup was more of a novelty whereas Turok and AR's dual setup was necessary.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'd argue that GE and PD's setup was more of a novelty whereas Turok and AR's dual setup was necessary.
Well of course. :D

Who would even think to seriously plug in two controllers and play like that without having the clear purpose to emulate contemporary dual-stick controls in a game made in pre-dual stick games and finding it was technically possible.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yes.

took some pics of the some options (there are more)
69020458_245197119842dvj7f.jpg
67923585_2451971168423zjb1.jpg
67962671_245197118508qakji.jpg
68580344_245197117508kij8y.jpg

It's only recently that people started giving props to that Alien Resurrection PSOne game by Argonaut which brought in that dual-stick control scheme we still use today for the first time (not counting Goldeneye/Perfect Dark's two-controller dual-stick setup). The "Halo invented console FPS" narrative has always been a lazy and easy move due to its carried over popularity.
Oh nice. And shoot gyro too??

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overclocked my GPU to 768mhz and Ram to 1600mhz in Turok 2 and a lot of the drops in frame rate are smoothed over! Game is weirdly structured, but man, it has a good shotgun so I can't say I'm not enjoying it :P

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up Turok 2 but I'd forgotten how much games hold your hand now. I have no idea where I need to go next.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
tfw you don't realize how non-linear a game is and you end up in level 3 before going to or finishing level 2 somehow?!

Picked up Turok 2 but I'd forgotten how much games hold your hand now. I have no idea where I need to go next.
The hint system is enabled by default for a reason. :) Go there -> (!) (also, shoot all the barrels!)

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the robot grunts from the pal turok 1 game were on this remaster since it would being more different looking enemies in that first game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Guess I'll have to wait til this weekend to get on Turok 2. Hopefully I can finish 1 by then.

I honestly haven't seen the last level of Turok 1 since the game was new. Every other time I've played it since it came out I'd only ever get as far as level 7. And I'd play a shit load from level 1-4 especially.

When the Steam version of 1 released I got to 7 then didn't finish. I got so close!

Now I'm on Level 6. Forgot the Chronocepter piece in level 5.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I wish the robot grunts from the pal turok 1 game were on this remaster since it would being more different looking enemies in that first game.
Not PAL just the German version.

Was gonna say I'd never seen them with my UK copy. Would have been interesting with a toggle! At least there is a mod for it though.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Not PAL just the German version.

Was gonna say I'd never seen them with my UK copy. Would have been interesting with a toggle! At least there is a mod for it though.
We Germans really have a thing for robots. We love to shoot 'em. When the cyber apocalypse comes and the Machine Uprising happens, you know where to go. We've got practice. All those 80s/90s shooters and C&Cs with toasters instead of bros trained us well.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
We Germans really have a thing for robots. We love to shoot 'em. When the cyber apocalypse comes and the Machine Uprising happens, you know where to go. We've got practice. All those 80s/90s shooters and C&Cs with toasters instead of bros trained us well.
I'm suprised you guys don't have nationwide violence against household appliances. I can only assume videogames influence Germans to beat up their Roomba's in secret.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I bought both Games after the Feedback a few pages back and i really like them both. More so than i thought in fact.
There is a certain "something" in mid 90s - early 00s FPS games that was lost somewhere in the transition towards the modern template. Turok 2 is a great middle-point and its fascinating to see. Also feels closer to Metroid Prime 1 than to Turok 1. I think some people of the T2 dev-team also worked on MP?

Also, i need more Dinosaur Games. How is ARK as a Singleplayer Game? Its 20 Bucks on PSN right now and its the only other Dinosaur-related game that is not a Park-Sim or a VR-Waveshooter.
(Its time for a full-on Dino Crisis Remake or at least re-release goddammit.)

Nov 8, 2017
You know, it's weird to always hear the N64 was considered the console for kids at the time and then see a game as gory as Turok.

My childhood impressions were that N64 was popular with everyone but GC had a reputation for being real kiddy. Goldeneye was too embedded in the N64's identity for it to really get that reputation widely IMO.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Quite interesting to revisit it 20 years after my last playthrough. I wasn't aware back then how reminiscent Turok 2 is of Quake and Doom, how convoluted the levels are structured and how this (in combination with a severe lack of player guidance) leads to a lot of unnecessary backtracking. On the other hand it probably didn't matter as much back then, as I was used to stick longer to each game and simply had more time/patience anyway. Still enjoying it a lot though and it's fun to play it with an actual draw distance and proper frame-rate for once.

N64 vs PC port map changes overview

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
If I remember the maps in Turok 2 are not identical to the N64 version. Some of them got tweaked to make them easier to navigate. If I remember correctly I seen a discussion on the Steam page about the merits of each but I think generally people were happy with the changes.

I know when I played Port of Adia I was stumped for a second where I was sure there was something different about the layout.

Anyone interested in the changes they are all listed here.

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up both this weekend too. I was a huge Turok 1 fan on N64 and completed it with all Chronoscepter pieces. Back then no internet help existed to find some of them, so I recall scouring the levels for hours sometimes to locate. Halfway through currently and loving it all over again, though I forgot about the respawning enemies.

Played level 1 of Turok 2 which I never liked as much at the time. Back then, the performance was so poor and the winding maze-like levels with fog made a lot of the exploration feel pretty rough. I wanted to like it but couldn't. Now, it is much smoother to play and the helpful icons are a nice addition. Some switches can open doors that are somewhat out of the way and difficult to recall in the expansive levels, so it can still have the occasional "now what?" moment. Still enjoying it much more than in the 90's.

Really hoping Turok 3 comes along. Recall really enjoying it at the time.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know if I should be using N64 & PC music, they both sound so similar...

If I remember the maps in Turok 2 are not identical to the N64 version. Some of them got tweaked to make them easier to navigate. If I remember correctly I seen a discussion on the Steam page about the merits of each but I think generally people were happy with the changes.

I know when I played Port of Adia I was stumped for a second where I was sure there was something different about the layout.

Really? They changed things? I thought it was just people assuming as much and just forgot how things were.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

Really? They changed things? I thought it was just people assuming as much and just forgot how things were.
Yea I just edited my post with a link. Some of them apparently were nessecary due to the way the old game used fog to hide parts of levels and it streamlined things in other ways. Some people say it dumbed down the exploration whereas others like the changes.

Personally I would have liked classic map option as I'm playing for nostalgia but I still have the originals I can play if I feel like it.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, i need more Dinosaur Games. How is ARK as a Singleplayer Game? Its 20 Bucks on PSN right now and its the only other Dinosaur-related game that is not a Park-Sim or a VR-Waveshooter.

Don't. The game still runs like shit after all these years on PC and I can't imagine the console versions being any better.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

Also, it is a survival game. you die, you have to start from scratch. I keep going back to the idea of getting this game as they tease you with riding dinosaurs and doing crazy things but you have to remember you start out in a loincloth after every death.

The Switch has WarParty, it is a not so good rts.
Primal Carnage is an okay dinosaur multiplayer shooter where you are dino vs humans.
LEGO Jurassic Park?
Monster Hunter is another option, Switch version too.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You know, it's weird to always hear the N64 was considered the console for kids at the time and then see a game as gory as Turok.
My childhood impressions were that N64 was popular with everyone but GC had a reputation for being real kiddy. Goldeneye was too embedded in the N64's identity for it to really get that reputation widely IMO.
Over here the Pokémon boom that swept over the N64 as well with Snap! and some other games and the cutesy mascot platformer/adventures being The Thing mostly meant that was the system's image. Didn't matter that the N64 had Resident Evil 2, an exclusive RE with Zero coming up, Quake and Quake 2, Duke Nukem, DOOM, Mortal Kombat, Hexen, Daikatana, StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Shadow Man, Eternal Darkness coming up (also started as an N64 game), lots of racing sims like Formula 1, the whole Wrestling thing...

People and perceptions are weird.

I bought both Games after the Feedback a few pages back and i really like them both. More so than i thought in fact.
There is a certain "something" in mid 90s - early 00s FPS games that was lost somewhere in the transition towards the modern template. Turok 2 is a great middle-point and its fascinating to see. Also feels closer to Metroid Prime 1 than to Turok 1. I think some people of the T2 dev-team also worked on MP?

Actually nobody but one person from Turok 2 ended up at Retro working on everything from Prime 3 onwards (Andy Schwalenberg left after Tropical Freeze). Most of the peoplefrom Turok 2 still working in the industry up until at least recently landed at Disney/Junction Point, Blizzard, Bioware Austin, and places like that.

The ears-perking up names come in with Turok: Rage Wars which was lead by none other than Mark Pacini, for example. Along with him, Francisco Javier Lafuente (engineering), and Jason Behr (who actually was the audio guy on Turok 2!) who is credited for design on Rage Wars and went on to work on the entire Prime trilogy and afterwards did F.E.A.R. 2 and Halo 4, Andy O'Neil who was technical lead on the Prime trilogy (most recently worked on Titanfall 1), are the only three guys to jump over to Retro Studios.

Oh hey, random fun discovery, additional programmer from Acclaim, Stevan Hird, ended up at Arkane and contributed to all the Dishonoreds and Prey stuff since then. Also found two people who ended up at working on DOOM 2016.

From Turok 3 there is Don Hogan (senior artist on the Prime trilogy), Neil Hill is now at Ubisoft programming Far Cry games, Joe Ries animating for Rockstar (Payne 3, GTA V, Red Dead series) and that's about it. So the actual Metroid Prime lineage goes back to Turok: Rage Wars mostly. Which is hilarious. Especially considering how poorly their own multiplayer for Prime 2 turned out. :D

Why not both? No, seriously. Do both. I'm hanging out in levels long enough that I just go in and switch back and forth after a few minutes of each.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Anyone interested in the changes they are all listed here.

This is cool, threadmark'd!

edit: oh dear god, don't read the comments lol
idiots...

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. First time playing Turok 1. If I go back into a level to find a key I missed, do I need to complete the level (i.e. reach the final warp point) in order to return to the hub, or can I somehow back out to the hub mid-level and still keep the key? I can't find anything for the latter option, and have found running to the end of levels I've been redoing a bit bothersome.

Thanks!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Hey all. First time playing Turok 1. If I go back into a level to find a key I missed, do I need to complete the level (i.e. reach the final warp point) in order to return to the hub, or can I somehow back out to the hub mid-level and still keep the key? I can't find anything for the latter option, and have found running to the end of levels I've been redoing a bit bothersome.

Thanks!

Gotta take the entrance or the exit out. You shouldn't leave a level unless you have everything.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Soooo tempted to grab Turok 2 on Switch for my plane + bus journey back home tomorrow...even though I already have the remaster on PC <.<

Especially tempted for the upcoming online multi patch, portable FPS matchmaking like the Metroid Prime Hunters days :)

Oh my god that's amazing ha, definitely trying that when I get back

That's a Contra/Protector situation where I like the robots at least as much, if not more :D

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is it easy to install mods on steam?
Kinda, it's seemingly a bit unwieldy where you actually have to launch workshop mods through the editor rather than ingame (the editor has a tab for selecting which mods to load and launch). Same reason why it's not in retail, Turok1's asset pipeline can't reset itself sadly.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Kinda, it's seemingly a bit unwieldy where you actually have to launch workshop mods through the editor rather than ingame (the editor has a tab for selecting which mods to load and launch). Same reason why it's not in retail, Turok1's asset pipeline can't reset itself sadly.

Yeah, basically you have to highlight the mods on the list (so they're in blue) and then click the play button to launch. Though you have to do it every time you play, it does at least mean you can easily launch the game in vanilla state if need be :)

For anyone looking to play on PC, I can't recommend the New Gen mod set enough, which brings a host of visual tweaks! Most notably an AI enhanced texture pack which works wonders

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Is Turok 2 just as open as the first one? It honestly got a bit too open for me, but I still enjoyed it a lot so either way is fine I guess.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Turok 1:

So this is based on the PC version right?

I notice many little differences from the N64 version. Anyone else notice these?
Both games seem to be based on the PC versions. Turok 1 was a bit confusing with the cheat mode as it uses the N64 cheats despite some of them missing in the PC version and thus the Remaster too, like Pen and Ink-Mode or the Enemy Gallery.
I'm afraid the lack of PC ports will be a hurdle to get Remasters of 3 and Rage Wars but maybe there's a way to port them if the first two sell enough on Switch.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'd argue that the controls were very forward thinking for the time. You used the analogue stick to look and the yellow c buttons to go forwards/backwards and strafe. This isn't far off from a dual analog setup and movement is digital like on PC (WASD).

The controls were not like Goldeneye with its autoaim or stop and aim a la re4.

Turok 1 is the sole reason I use invert aim to this fucking day.

Goldeneye's default controls were disgusting, the Turok style Solitaire controls were 10x better.

Is Turok 2 just as open as the first one? It honestly got a bit too open for me, but I still enjoyed it a lot so either way is fine I guess.

It's far, far bigger and mazier.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Both games seem to be based on the PC versions. Turok 1 was a bit confusing with the cheat mode as it uses the N64 cheats despite some of them missing in the PC version and thus the Remaster too, like Pen and Ink-Mode or the Enemy Gallery.
I'm afraid the lack of PC ports will be a hurdle to get Remasters of 3 and Rage Wars but maybe there's a way to port them if the first two sell enough on Switch.
That's not an issue, Edward commented on this already in the pre-release thread. Might just take a bit longer.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's only recently that people started giving props to that Alien Resurrection PSOne game by Argonaut which brought in that dual-stick control scheme we still use today for the first time (not counting Goldeneye/Perfect Dark's two-controller dual-stick setup).
So it was first except for the game that was actually first?

Goldeneye was first, full stop, more than three years ahead of Alien Resurrection. And TimeSplitters, by many of the Goldeneye team, was released at almost the same time as Alien Resurrection anyway (AR was released first in NA, but TimeSplitters was released first in PAL). TimeSplitters was the game that truly popularised dual analogue for FPS, primarily as it was the first ever released on a console that actually came with a dual analogue controller instead of it being an optional upgrade.

But looking back, in fact the Goldeneye 1.2 control setting was exactly the same thing using the left two prongs method, except you used the dpad for movement. That's how I play it, it's basically the modern set up as-is.

The "Halo invented console FPS" narrative has always been a lazy and easy move due to its carried over popularity.
Halo didn't even have 'popularity' as a claim going for it since Goldeneye sold significantly more than Halo 1. Goldeneye 100% factually is the game that popularised console FPS.

Well of course. :D

Who would even think to seriously plug in two controllers and play like that without having the clear purpose to emulate contemporary dual-stick controls in a game made in pre-dual stick games and finding it was technically possible.
Who would 'think to seriously' do it? It was an option in the menu. And the manual literally recommends it, calling it the 'true professional' method.

I did it, it was great. It was an option in the game for a reason, it allowed analogue movement and looking. I didn't use it all the time mostly because it wasn't there for multiplayer, so it was better to use the same control set up for both for practice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Halo didn't even have 'popularity' as a claim going for it since Goldeneye sold significantly more than Halo 1. Goldeneye 100% factually is the game that popularised console FPS.
What I meant with "carried over popularity" was that Halo became a massive global franchise whereas Goldeneye stayed "that N64 game you played a kid/student." Thus Halo became the universally accepted reference point by default. Which sucks.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
What I meant with "carried over popularity" was that Halo became a massive global franchise whereas Goldeneye stayed "that N64 game you played a kid/student." Thus Halo became the universally accepted reference point by default. Which sucks.
Ah yes. The issue is whether Halo means 'Halo the game' or the franchise. The Halo franchise eventually sold more, so it could be said Halo as a franchise continued to grow the popularity of FPS on consoles. But Goldeneye sold 8 million copies! It absolutely 100% was the first ever FPS smash hit.

Goldeneye sold more than any PC shooter had up to that time for that matter. Eventually the likes of Half Life 2 overtook it, but that was only after years and years of budget sales. And also most likely more people had actually played Doom and Quake, via shareware versions (and piracy).

Turok is the game that created 'stick look' which is the main thing, so IMO deserves credit for the majority of the dual analogue FPS control scheme. Movement being analogue isn't as important - see how PC players still use digital movement.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Halo became a massive global franchise whereas Goldeneye stayed "that N64 game you played a kid/student." Thus Halo became the universally accepted reference point by default. Which sucks.

This is part of the reason Halo will never have my full respect. I will always resent Halo at least a little bit.

Gets credit when it doesn't deserve it. Credit where credit is due.

Goldeneye and Turok were what put console FPS on the map. I can't stand reading that Halo was the one that did it, it's bullshit.

I almost fell for the Halo hype when I first played it. At the end of the day I thought it was okay. First two or three missions I was falling for the hype thinking it was the greatest thing ever. Then the game threw screamingly repetitive level design at me and I tuned out. I'll never forget that library level with the swarm of Flood you keep fighting. I thought I was going in fucking CIRCLES at one point.

Turok kept the Doom style FPS alive and took gore, animation, and action to new levels. First person platforming, weight, great graphics, music, and awesome weapons. Turok 1 was legit. Felt pretty much like the next evolution of the Doom formula.

Then you had Goldeneye which also introduced a slew of other firsts. I don't even need to list Goldeneye's accomplishments.

Doom 64, Turok 2, and Perfect Dark as well.

Halo snatching all the credit for console FPSes will forever remain one of the great injustices in our world.

Turok is the game that created 'stick look' which is the main thing, so IMO deserves credit for the majority of the dual analogue FPS control scheme. Movement being analogue isn't as important - see how PC players still use digital movement

Fucking preach. Even Goldeneye gets too much credit. Turok 1 is where it's at. The grandaddy of console FPS.

And yeah I've read that shit about dual analog this and dual analog that and I'm like....Turok?