• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Good Lord the great memories of the N64 version. Consider the game purchased, thank you for the port!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Love those games. I will probably double dip on sale as I have both on xbox one.
Now anxiously waiting for a Power Slave/Exhumed remaster.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

God I love the music so much.

And I'm getting flashbacks to how awesome it was back then to shoot arrows into the enemies and being able to pick them up again because they were sticking out of them still.

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Does t1 have adjustable fog? Not sure I like the idea of it being fully removable as survey that impacted the design to some extent?
Yes it does. Just on and off. But at least one level (Treetop Village) does not allow extended fog.
That's not how the fog works in these ports.
The fog is there no matter what you do, it's a very important performance requirement and is used to mask level constructs as well (removing the fog would reveal holes everywhere).
What these ports have is extended fog, so it's still there but just pushed out a bit more (levels still had to be edited even for that). It can be toggled back to the original though.
And Treetop Village does allow extended fog, there's no main level that doesn't in either game. That level had the most work done to it in Turok1 because of it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The fog is there no matter what you do, it's a very important performance requirement and is used to mask level constructs as well (removing the fog would reveal holes everywhere).
What these ports have is extended fog, so it's still there but just pushed out a bit more (levels still had to be edited even for that). It can be toggled back to the original though.
And Treetop Village does allow extended fog, there's no main level that doesn't in either game. That level had the most work done to it in Turok1 because of it.

Thanks. Good to know it was taken into account (should have guessed but mic eto be sure)

Will grab this weekend. T2 not so sure about so will hold off until I'm done with T1

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

I should have worded myself better: there's just one fog option: extended fog on, extended fog off.

I mention Treetop Village because during my playthough I noticed more fog than usual and I kept turning the extended fog option on and off and didn't notice a difference at all. I figured it was kept at a certain fog level because of how the level was set up.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this has a nice discount at launch too... Woot!

Game holds up well and is so refreshing to play in 60 FPS. It's an entirely different experience. Really enjoying myself

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Totally unrelated, but I'd kill for someone to bring fear to switch. I need to pick this up...and an expansion pak

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I mention Treetop Village because during my playthough I noticed more fog than usual and I kept turning the extended fog option on and off and didn't notice a difference at all. I figured it was kept at a certain fog level because of how the level was set up.
I apologise; Turns out you're right, I'm working off old notes (Turok1 was 2015 D:). Went back and checked the definitions and sure enough, maxDistance has been reduced to 0.
(game.kpf/defs/mapinfo.txt)
Code:
Map_Village     6
{
    title           "the treetop village"
    map_1           "levels/level14.map"
    map_2           "levels/level15.map"
    map_3           "levels/level16.map"
    mapid_1         14
    mapid_2         15
    mapid_3         16
    maxDistance_1   0
    maxDistance_2   0
    maxDistance_3   0
    warptid         15000
    keys            3
    script_1        "scripts/map/generic_script.txt"
    script_2        "scripts/map/generic_script.txt"
    script_3        "scripts/map/generic_script.txt"
}
At one point it was supposed to be extended out like the others but the geometry proved too complex, for precisely the reason you mention.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I apologise; Turns out you're right, I'm working off old notes (Turok1 was 2015 D:). Went back and checked the definitions and sure enough, maxDistance has been reduced to 0.
(game.kpf/defs/mapinfo.txt)
Code:
Map_Village     6
{
    title           "the treetop village"
    map_1           "levels/level14.map"
    map_2           "levels/level15.map"
    map_3           "levels/level16.map"
    mapid_1         14
    mapid_2         15
    mapid_3         16
    maxDistance_1   0
    maxDistance_2   0
    maxDistance_3   0
    warptid         15000
    keys            3
    script_1        "scripts/map/generic_script.txt"
    script_2        "scripts/map/generic_script.txt"
    script_3        "scripts/map/generic_script.txt"
}
At one point it was supposed to be extended out like the others but the geometry proved too complex, for precisely the reason you mention.

Ah, so I'm not going crazy! :P Don't worry about not remembering, I can't remember what I had to breakfast last week.

I'd even argue that this is a level that truly NEEDS fog in terms of gameplay.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I had been waiting on a sale for Turok, or a bundle for $30, but $32 for both is close enough.

Downloading and can't wait.

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Turok game before.
Should I start with the first? Which has aged better?

Both are worth playing. I like the first one a bit better since it's a tighter, more focused experience. Turok 2 is absolutely bonkers and it's part of its charm - tons of weapons and a lot more variety in the environments and the enemies, but the levels are maze-like to a fault.

Oct 26, 2017
Both are worth playing. I like the first one a bit better since it's a tighter, more focused experience. Turok 2 is absolutely bonkers and it's part of its charm - tons of weapons and a lot more variety in the environments and the enemies, but the levels are maze-like to a fault.
I think the original Turok is more atmospheric, but Turok 2 is a better game overall in my opinion.
It just has a lot more variety in terms of weapons, enemies, levels, etc.
Thank you both!
I'll go with.... ahhh can't decide!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
but the levels are maze-like to a fault.

This is true. I finished it at least twice as a kid when it came out and found it a maze then.

I then played it again on PC 2 years ago and got lost once again on Level 2 (I missed one key, checked the whole level and still couldn't find it and then I never came back).

I really hope that doesn't happen this time cuz I wanna properly finish the game and see all the levels again. It's such a good game but the maziness is a real issue. IIRC Level 2 and 7 are the worst offenders.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, of course I caved and bought Turok 2 digitally now against my better judgment. And it made me think that I might not have ever left the first level as a kid? I got to the teleporter that brings you to the crazy alien enemy cutscene and the accompanying level and I'm fairly certain I've never seen that as a kid. I must've played the first level in infinite loops all the time ...and then just went to multiplayer, I guess :D

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

No prob, enjoy!

T2 got a lot more in depth with much less forgiving aim (locational damage is not a thing in 1 but a big thing in 2) and tougher enemies.

Turok 1 is a much simpler game, so I guess YMMV depending on what you're looking for. But it was the first game, nailed what it was going for, and wasn't crazy ambitious like the sequel. It's definitely the right place to start.

2 has a lot more going on in nearly every way.

1 is a run and gun Doom clone while 2 works a bit differently.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
So, of course I caved and bought Turok 2 digitally now against my better judgment. And it made me think that I might not have ever left the first level as a kid? I got to the teleporter that brings you to the crazy alien enemy cutscene and the accompanying level and I'm fairly certain I've never seen that as a kid. I must've played the first level in infinite loops all the time ...and then just went to multiplayer, I guess :D

Good luck with level 2 then lol. It's a fucking maze and I feel sorry for anyone who has to go through it haha.

I was so pissed playing the new release recently as I was loving every second of it til I realized I missed a key and no idea where it was. Went through the entire level once or twice and still couldn't find it. Was such a buzzkill.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Good luck with level 2 then lol. It's a fucking maze and I feel sorry for anyone who has to go through it haha.

I was so pissed playing the new release recently as I was loving every second of it til I realized I missed a key and no idea where it was. Went through the entire level once or twice and still couldn't find it. Was such a buzzkill.
One of the cheats is a level select, right? I have faint memories of futzing around with those.

edit: ah yea, it was. I might have jumped around at one point to the ending with that but I definitely never used it to play the rest (I was baaaad at games then, holy cow).

edit2: I put a bunch of info about the cheats in the OP for both T1 and T2. T2 just needs one master unlock all cheat but T1 needs a bit more typing. Put the most efficient way in there. After that they can be turned on or off from the menu.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
No prob, enjoy!

T2 got a lot more in depth with much less forgiving aim (locational damage is not a thing in 1 but a big thing in 2) and tougher enemies.

Turok 1 is a much simpler game, so I guess YMMV depending on what you're looking for. But it was the first game, nailed what it was going for, and wasn't crazy ambitious like the sequel. It's definitely the right place to start.

2 has a lot more going on in nearly every way.

1 is a run and gun Doom clone while 2 works a bit differently.

I'm really glad I started with T1 as it's such a gem so far! Small, focused and smooth! They don't make 'em like this anymore!
Really pleasantly surprised by how much variety and depth in level design the devs could achieve with such a limited palette!
Some really smart decisions too - for example you actually move faster in water! Is that something that used to be more common and I've simply forgotten?

And some of the technology is pretty groundbreaking for the time! Smooth interpolated animation, multiple death animations per character, that satisfying blood splatter, water effects, the realistic way characters shift their weight when they run - as opposed to something like Quake 3 where everyone is seemingly being moved along a rail. Sound effects are on point, music is great, there's even good use of rumble which I don't know if was in the original or not.

I'm up to level 3 and it's my favorite so far.
For some reason I was expecting some sort of exposition as to who this Turok person is and what this world is but honestly it's not important. In my head canon he's the same character from the original Prey.

Some may consider this blasphemy but in many respects Turok 1 feels more like a 3D Metroid to me so far than Prime. It's faster, smoother easier to navigate and scanning is a fucking chore.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Here's something that bugged me about Turok 2.

In multiplayer, when viewed from a different player's screen, the Raptor character's vertical axis head movement was mapped incorrectly. You'd look down with him, and from the other screen, he looked up.

Anyway, I loved Turok 2 for some reason. Was it a shitty game or was it actually good?

Sad the multiplayer options aren't there for me. Needs that local split, and as a rerelease a thousand years later, they really should have worked in an official co-op mode on Turok 2. I know you could do it in debug mode but the game would freeze at teleporters.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Sad the multiplayer options aren't there for me. Needs that local split, and as a rerelease a thousand years later, they really should have worked in an official co-op mode on Turok 2. I know you could do it in debug mode but the game would freeze at teleporters.
There is not enough assets to do offical co-op, and the levels aren't structured for it. Would have cost vastly too much dev time to do. Which for, might I add, something that was actually patched out on the second and subsequent wave of carts. Only the initial release ever had that bug.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
There is not enough assets to do offical co-op, and the levels aren't structured for it. Would have cost vastly too much dev time to do. Which for, might I add, something that was actually patched out on the second and subsequent wave of carts. Only the initial release ever had that bug.

The teleporter bug or the raptor in multiplayer bug?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Man, just played through the 1st level of Turok 1 and this holds up so well. Was shocked to see that the player movement even simulates leaning when you turn or strafe. It's exaggerated, but even shooters made in 2019 STILL don't do this. It's part of why something like Destiny just feels right. And the music. SO GOOD.

I remember loving these games as a kid, and it'ss nice that it holds up in 2019. Looking forward to finishing this one up and then moving on to Turok 2.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Looking up the music on Amazon music I didn't realise Darren Mitchel also did the South Park FPS soundtrack which is great!

Just went to sleep last night listening to it.

Oct 26, 2017
Turok 2 holds up so well. So does Turok 1. The small facelift to both games makes them feel great. So happy revisiting these classics.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
hmmmqfklh.jpg

c45.png

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I forgot just how gory Turok 2 is. Geysers of blood everywhere. Also, a small detail I love: ammo pickups can get bloodstained. I expected it to just ignore them, but I had a clip get splattered last night.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Question about Turok 2:

Do you have to complete all mission objectives on a level to complete it? I can't find the last two captured children on the first level and it's driving me crazy.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Question about Turok 2:

Do you have to complete all mission objectives on a level to complete it? I can't find the last two captured children on the first level and it's driving me crazy.
You've probably not shot a bunch of the barrels that explode crumbly walls and reveal switches that then open more doors that then tend to lead to the kids. If you see barrels, always shoot them. Could be just ammo, could be a whole path behind it.