• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
If you're in the US, it's $20.

IIRC, there are more dinosaurs in Turok 2 than the first. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. I just finished the 3rd level of the first game and I've mainly been fighting dudes with guns and melee stuff. Only dinos so far have been raptors.

Pretty sure I remember one of these games letting you ride around on a triceratops with guns mounted on it, but I don't remember which one. It has been a long time.

Edit: others above have it covered.

Turok 1 has more "classic" dinos (some with syfy upgrades) than Turok 2. T2 goes for more evolved Dino/lizard/man hybrids with a few classic dinos here and there.

I played thru both a few years back on Xbox One and, gameplay wise, I was surprised that I enjoyed T1 better. Both great & fun but, in sort of a Banjo Kazooie to Tootie way, T2 can be a bit too big for its britches. HUGE levels with various collectibles that you must find, tho the option to highlight collectibles helps.

I'd say get both but, if only one, don't overlook the first Turok.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

I think I will go for T2 first, because after playing through doom 1&2 back to back, I am a biiit burned out by the classic mid-90s fps design.

I will get T1 eventually to be sure, that seems to scratch the dino-itch a bit more.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I've never tried these games, but something about playing N64 games on Switch is appealing to me. I wonder what newcomers think of these HD releases.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I rented the first one and really didnt enjoy it at all. Returned it the same day.

Now GBA Turok... THATs a game that needs a rerelease :p

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've been e-begging Nightdive to do Shadowman on Switch.

If it happens I will shed tears of joy. Shadowman is one of my favorite games of all time.
I've been crossing my fingers for quite some time to hear about that. Shadowman was legit. But I completely sucked at it, I remember getting lost in the asylum somewhere and never finishing it.

So, the physical comes with a manual? I think that may push me over the edge to get the physical version.
Always.
I will get T1 eventually to be sure, that seems to scratch the dino-itch a bit more.
Reminder that T1 is on sale for 25% off starting tomorrow.
I've never tried these games, but something about playing N64 games on Switch is appealing to me. I wonder what newcomers think of these HD releases.
I had never played Turok 1 before this rerelease beyond a few minutes in a store kiosk back in the day. Absolutely love it. The fast pace, the whole vibe. Only played Turok 2 back then, all of these have some faint Metroid Prime traces in them (not only because some of the Iguana Entertainment folks would end up being on the ground floor of a new Texan magic house called Retro Studios).

I rented the first one and really didnt enjoy it at all. Returned it the same day.

Now GBA Turok... THATs a game that needs a rerelease :p
Also, yes god damn.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
But I completely sucked at it, I remember getting lost in the asylum

Haha I can see that. The game was quite labrynthian.

Excellent dark action adventure which was sort of a cross between Zelda and Tomb Raider I'd say?

Easily one of my faves of all time. The atmosphere and soundtrack are second to none.

Nightdive were the ones behind the Steam port.

Nightgods.

I would also love to see Rage Wars. That game was fucking legit but I never owned it :( Rented it at least 4 times though.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Haha I can see that. The game was quite labrynthian.

Excellent dark action adventure which was sort of a cross between Zelda and Tomb Raider I'd say?

Easily one of my faves of all time. The atmosphere and soundtrack are second to none.

Nightdive were the ones behind the Steam port.

Nightgods.

I would also love to see Rage Wars. That game was fucking legit but I never owned it :( Rented it at least 4 times though.
There's now a bunch of these revival/remaster/port studios/teams that have emerged over the years that always pique your interest because they do really good work on really interesting titles.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I own both on PC already....but man....these games were my LIFE as a kid. Might have to double dip (or is it triple since I had them on the 64)

I can still vividly hear the sound of the cerebral bore....

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
I was extremely excited for this release before I heard there would not be split screen multiplayer.

I grew up paying only split screen with friends and never touched the story.

I was sold on day one just for the multiplayer.
Now I will probably just go find a copy of the n64 game for split screen.

But, I'm still excited for it. I'm sure it's a great remaster.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
weird. I couldn't find Turok 2 on the eshop yesterday night. everything else is there.

edit: just saw Nate's post

I've always wanted to check out both. I have a weird fondness for these kinds of games.

Daikatana is such an unique FPS with one of the best weaponry ever.
One rather odd thing I remember (I own the N64 version) is that the "high res" mode did exactly shit (=nothing).
in fact, the game was still so blurry sometimes that I couldn't actually detect certain important things in the game.
It drove me so nuts that I bought an 11" TV just to play the game (instead of the 32" Philips CRT monster) which helped a lot. i still use the TV for NES games btw.
Doom 64 looks also tremendously good on it.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I was extremely excited for this release before I heard there would not be split screen multiplayer.

I grew up paying only split screen with friends and never touched the story.

I was sold on day one just for the multiplayer.
Now I will probably just go find a copy of the n64 game for split screen.

But, I'm still excited for it. I'm sure it's a great remaster.

I am pretty sure that I read that multiplayer will be included in an upcoming update.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Was the SP in Turok 2 any good? I used to play MP only with friends and it was a dam blast, but kinda hesitant pulling the trigger on this one. I finished og Turok not too long ago on N64 and it hasn't aged well. Maybe I'll wait for the MP and then go for it... But at the same time, I don't know if it will be the same without splitscreen. Still it's great to see these old games getting remasters, hopefully it does well since there are tons of old games I would like to play again.

random gamer

Jan 9, 2018
I remember getting Turok 2 for Christmas in 98 and I was hooked on it, the controls were tricky at first but I got the hang of them. I actually bought a walkthough guide which I still have, I might have to use it again for the switch version, it's easy to get lost in some of the levels!

The soundtrack is still incredible and available on Spotify here, I can't wait to run through this game again, with better controls this time!

Also, I've seen a few people in the past complain about the platform sections in both games being really difficult, if you actually just look slight down before you jump, it's a massive help! I've a feeling that's why in Metroid Prime it does that little auto look downwards to help you, the team might have learned with the feedback from the Turok games!

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know limited run games included manuals. That's great all the turok games always had these low effort black and white manuals so they'll finally get a better presentation.

The hope for a Turok 3 and rage Wars port makes the triple dip worth it

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone who has never played these games and is curious about them, pick up Turok 2 and play that game before deciding to even contemplate buying the first game

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really enjoyed Turok 3 so I hope they port that over too.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Turok 2 is up in Europe, by the way, with 15% off. So £15.79 down to £13.42 here in the UK.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What a fucking weird thing to port lol

Where is my MDK2 remaster, goddamit. While just anything can happen apparently...
Absolutely nothing weird about this (also quite old news since they were ported to PC/Xbox One already years ago)
Turok 2 is up in Europe, by the way, with 15% off. So £15.79 down to £13.42 here in the UK.
Fuuuuuck, that too with a discount? They really want me to hype double-dip with retail AND digital, don't they?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Still got the multiplayer? Played Turok 2 on Steam and the multiplayer is a hell of a lot if fun. Very old school Unreal Tournament/Quake vibes which is dead these days. Might pick it up just to be able to jump into matches while lying in bed.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Still got the multiplayer? Played Turok 2 on Steam and the multiplayer is a hell of a lot if fun. Very old school Unreal Tournament/Quake vibes which is dead these days. Might pick it up just to be able to jump into matches while lying in bed.

Online multiplayer to come soon. Local splitscreen is too taxing for the Switch.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Online multiplayer to come soon. Local splitscreen is too taxing for the Switch.
Well that's a damn shame but they are great games even without it. Glad the online will be patched in later, probably not the most popular feature of Turok 2 but I loved the multiplayer.

Answered with details from the devs in the OP :)
I only read OP's for pretty pictures!
Cheers for that, sounds like they'll be improving the netcode for PC version too niiiice.

Last edited:

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I thought I'd only get the first one as it's finally one sale and wait for Turok 2, but well... Surprisingly both are on sale so please take my money.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I went from "What, 29,99 € for a port of Turok 2? Hell no..." to "I'm an idiot, it's 17,59 € digitally" to "WTF, 14,95 €? Gonna buy the first one as well now". There goes my weekend.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So both of these are on XB1 as well right? Given the framerate dips I saw in the first game maybe I'll pick them up to play on X.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone able to tell me if it's a good port in addition to that first 20 mins video above? Turok 2 is one of my favorite N64 games and i'm feeling an itchy finger hovering above the buy button.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Loved the first one back then, but somehow never played no2. It had amazing graphics, sounds and animation for the time.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
That video is giving me serious nostalgia trips.

I ain't need Turok. I'm playing Fire Emblem. I ain't need Turok. I'm playing Fire Emblem...

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I got both on xbox earlier last year... Turok 1 is still way better. The amount of pointless backtracking in turok 2 is annoying... Collecting the stupid children beibg mandatory was an awful idea

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does t1 have adjustable fog? Not sure I like the idea of it being fully removable as survey that impacted the design to some extent?