• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rarewolf

Feb 7, 2019
I would kill for an online Rage Wars. What a great, forgotten arena shooter that game was.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Recently played through 1 on PC and loved it, so glad these games are being made easily available with definitive editions :)

Would be ace for this if they included the resolution scaling option from the PC version, could be a good way to mitigiate frame rate issues that T1 faced on Switch while future proofing it for beefier hardware revisions

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Would be ace for this if they included the resolution scaling option from the PC version, could be a good way to mitigiate frame rate issues that T1 faced on Switch while future proofing it for beefier hardware revisions
Resolution scaling would have done nothing. The performance issue with Turok1 was CPU bound.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Resolution scaling would have done nothing. The performance issue with Turok1 was CPU bound.

Ah my mistake, thanks for the informed input :) Guessing that's the case with a few Switch games, have heard its CPU is a bit of a bottleneck

Out of curiosity, is that due to the nature of the large environments + original engine, especially with the extended draw distance option?

Last edited:

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Ah my mistake, thanks for the informed input :)

Out of curiosity, is that due to the nature of the large environments + original engine, especially with the extended draw distance option?
Correct. Each part of geometry is another drawcall the engine needs to construct for the GPU. On the N64 this was relatively straightforward because the game it self basically was the GPU driver. Here, because of the more complex API and the extended draw distance, the setup is both much larger and more complex.
We've mitigated that somewhat in Turok2 on the Switch as we've ported the renderer to Vulkan, which has removed some of the API overhead. Can't promise it'll be perfect but it certainly seemed to be holding 60 more consistently.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Correct. Each part of geometry is another drawcall the engine needs to construct for the GPU. On the N64 this was relatively straightforward because the game it self basically was the GPU driver. Here, because of the more complex API and the extended draw distance, the setup is both much larger and more complex.
We've mitigated that somewhat in Turok2 on the Switch as we've ported the renderer to Vulkan, which has removed some of the API overhead. Can't promise it'll be perfect but it certainly seemed to be holding 60 more consistently.

Ah ace, yeah that seems like such a fascinating challenge in bringing a game from such a different era of rendering to a modern one. Reminds me of reading the crazy trials the Shenmue 1-2 remaster team had to go through

Nice one on porting the engine to Vulkan :) And thanks again for the detailed responses, love the work you guys do.

Last edited:

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Awesome news!!

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to update T1 with the Vulkan renderer or is that too difficult to be worth the effort?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Turok 1 on Switch was a ton of fun. Turok 2 will bring even more fun. Such a nice summer release.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The PC soundtrack of Turok 2 is a treasure.

It was magical for me playing Turok 2 with the better soundtrack, perfect controls, and perfect framerate.

It was CATHARTIC for me.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Will this API change trickle its way to the first Turok game on Switch?

I'm anxiously awaiting the Descent remake on Switch.
And on that note, can't wait for Forsaken on Switch!

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to update T1 with the Vulkan renderer or is that too difficult to be worth the effort?
Will this API change trickle its way to the first Turok game on Switch?
We actually already tried but it was more work than anticipated. The Turok1 port was originally only made with OpenGL 2.1 in mind, and the concept of console ports wasn't on anyone's mind until id@xbox approached us. This made the RHI rather messy to integrate Vulkan into. It's not outside of the realm of possibility, though if and when aren't things I could even hope to speculate on.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
We actually already tried but it was more work than anticipated. The Turok1 port was originally only made with OpenGL 2.1 in mind, and the concept of console ports wasn't on anyone's mind until id@xbox approached us. This made the RHI rather messy to integrate Vulkan into. It's not outside of the realm of possibility, though if and when aren't things I could even hope to speculate on.

Sounds like a lot of work indeed, but thank you for the answer! Looking forward to buying Turok 2 next week!

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to get Turok 1 and 2 physical on the Switch, already own them on PC, hope there's a double pack.

Only thing I felt the Turok 1 remaster was missing was the robot enemies from the european version of the game, robot enemies actually make tons of sense in Turok so it's too bad we didn't see them in the remaster to change up some of the characters in it.

I also hope Turok 3 and Rage Wars get remasters but it seems like it's a pipe dream. Hell can you imagine Turok Evolution properly ported and maybe using some of the beta stuff?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Love these nighdive remakes.

3 was the worst, but still had some great qualities. Hope they get around to it.

Rage Wars was fucking amazing.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Can't wait to get Turok 1 and 2 physical on the Switch, already own them on PC, hope there's a double pack.
There's not gonna be a double pack. We already know they're selling them both separately. Plus, it makes no difference if you order both in one go anyway, that's essentially your double pack. I doubt they're gonna pull out some last minute edition now for this.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's not gonna be a double pack. We already know they're selling them both separately. Plus, it makes no difference if you order both in one go anyway, that's essentially your double pack. I doubt they're gonna pull out some last minute edition now for this.
They did mention on twitter to stay tuned when someone asked for a double pack

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Love the Switch bringing me back to the era of my childhood, even though i could easily get these on my PC. Switch been keeping me away from my pc now for a couple of months also. Gonna get this.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Edward850 so you are limited in your available port options in licenses and if they are available for PC? Maybe I drew the wrong conclusion from porting the PC port(s).

Anyway, it's great that you put these old shooters back into the spotlight. Turok never went in the direction that I would have liked, but they are beloved classics for a reason. I'm excited for whatever your next project might be!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So how does Turok 2 hold up? I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power back in the day.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Edward850 so you are limited in your available port options in licenses and if they are available for PC? Maybe I drew the wrong conclusion from porting the PC port(s).
I'm sorry, maybe it's just that it's still morning and I just woke up, but I need some clarification. Are you asking if we are limited to obtaining licences for games that have only come out on PC before, or are you asking about what games we can port to consoles that we've done previously on PC?

Edit: Actually reading it once more I finally understand the question, and indeed the former is what you're asking. It's just generally more work depending on the circumstances, but the fact that we've only done games released on PC before is thus far purely incidental. We usually evaluate it based on source code and asset availability and how much disassembly/reverse engineering work we'd have to do otherwise. We have a mixture of different examples and situations that you'd have to ask for a specific example. Licenses are purely based on whomever is prepared to talk and the rules they are prepared to set out.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 based solely on nostalgia. I don't even know if the game's aged well, but I intend to find out personally.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm sorry, maybe it's just that it's still morning and I just woke up, but I need some clarification. Are you asking if we are limited to obtaining licences for games that have only come out on PC before, or are you asking about what games we can port to consoles that we've done previously on PC?
I think they're asking whether you're limited to porting games that have had PC versions to base these new ports off of. Since you're basing these ports on the available PC versions of these games, apparently (sorry if I got that wrong. For example, is something like Turok 3 out of the cards because that only exists on N64 without a PC version to port or can that be done through what you've already achieved with the other two. That last part is me asking now. :)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

None of the two - but I'm also not a native speaker, so maybe I worded that in a weird way.

Do you need a PC port as a base to be able to have a modern remaster to begin with or are you also able to take any old N64 game and remaster that without any existing older pc port?

All games so far have used the older pc ports, right? Would something like Rage Wars even be possible without any existing PC base and your current pipeline?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Do you need a PC port as a base to be able to have a modern remaster to begin with or are you also able to take any old N64 game and remaster that without any existing older pc port?

All games so far have used the older pc ports, right? Would something like Rage Wars even be possible without any existing PC base and your current pipeline?
Nah, the "PC port" thing is purely incidental. Remember that at least two games we have done thus far (Strife:VE and Blood:FS) were based on having no source code at all and instead having to work from a disassembly, so them being PC games was irrelevant anyway.
Rage Wars in fact was directly based on Turok2's code, but with the mesh collision replaced with BSP, code wise that's not a bad place to start. So no, it being an N64 only title isn't a problem there.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Really hope they get these to my system. I played Turok all the way through on PC nearly a decade ago, but never had a chance to play the sequel. I love me some old school 3D shooters with wild weapons and interesting level design.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nah, the "PC port" thing is purely incidental. Remember that at least two games we have done thus far (Strife:VE and Blood:FS) were based on having no source code at all and instead having to work from a disassembly, so them being PC games was irrelevant anyway.
Rage Wars in fact was directly based on Turok2's code, but with the mesh collision replaced with BSP, code wise that's not a bad place to start. So no, it being an N64 only title isn't a problem there.

I see, thanks for the answer - Excited for whatever else your team has cooking!

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019

What about Turok 3? Since it never had a PC port, is it possible to do a remaster on PC/newer consoles?.

Also, i already own these two titles on Steam, but ill be picking these up from LRG next week.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
feel free to move over anytime, you guys :D
www.resetera.com

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter & Turok 2: Seeds of Evil HD on Nintendo Switch |OT| Cerebral, Not Boring. #TeamFog vs #TeamNoFog

HD Remaster Developed & Published By: Nightdive Studios Switch Physical Version Publisher: Limited Run Games Original Game By: Iguana Entertainment & Acclaim Genre: Fog Person Shooter starring Dinosaurs & Aliens Original N64 Releases: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (1997) | Turok 2: Seeds of Evil...

opened a combo OT for both Turoks on Switch now

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I want to get this and actually try to beat this without cheat codes. Never could as a kid.