• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Switch is a great home for classic FPS games at this point, I love it. I may get Turok 1 after beating Doom 1, and eventually get 2 if I like Turok enough.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I just watched the Digital Foundry video on Turok. If I wasn't in my Doom craze, I'd buy this and the first Turok in a second. I'll add both to my wishlist and get them on sale.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I'm getting this. Loved it on the N64.
I wish I wasn't stuck on the first boss in Turok 1 (the Jeep at the end of level 4, I think). That game was really fun up until that point.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
No split screen MP? Seems bit pointless, MP was the best part about Turok 2.

wait what?
not possible ...

ZHwM5Bu.png

wut

DUDE YOU HAD ONE JOB !

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Neat! Definitely getting this. I only played Turok 2 as a kid but it always impressed me. Great graphics, spooky sounds, cerebral bore

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Switch is really knocking it out of the park with all of the classics finding their way onto the platform. Looking forward to owning this one again.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I played Turok for the first time on Switch and thought it was pretty cool but a bit too dated. I hear 2 is a huge upgrade so I'm looking forward to it.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Own the PC remaster that got released and I'm sure any console version will not control nearly as well, but I'm Day 1 on this no matter what.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a Turok game.
I wonder how I might do with #2 without the sweet sweet power of nostalgia fueling my play.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought both games for PC, then Xbox One, now on Switch.

I'm hopeful for an eventual remaster of Part 3. Played very little of it. I only remember it pretty much breaking the N64.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
No split screen MP? Seems bit pointless, MP was the best part about Turok 2.
Splitscreen is unlikely. The multiplayer is based on the original PC version and requires a frankly absurd about of CPU power to draw out the scene due to the more complex maps, we couldn't even get it working properly on the Xbox.
As for why no network multiplayer, we are actually in the process of rewriting netcode so it's only temporary (although there's currently no timeline). The existing netcode we wrote turned out to be quite unstable on wifi at times so I'm rewrite some chunks of its core logic to use delta frames exclusively (thus packetloss resilient as the next frame will contain all the same data) and backporting some improvements that have developed since Forsaken and Blood:FS.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Splitscreen is unlikely. The multiplayer is based on the original PC version and requires a frankly absurd about of CPU power to draw out the scene due to the more complex maps, we couldn't even get it working properly on the Xbox.
As for why no network multiplayer, we are actually in the process of rewriting netcode so it's only temporary (although there's currently no timeline). The existing netcode we wrote turned out to be quite unstable on wifi at times so I'm rewrite some chunks of its core logic to use delta frames exclusively (thus packetloss resilient as the next frame will contain all the same data) and backporting some improvements that have developed since Forsaken and Blood:FS.
N64 more powerful than Xbox One X, confirmed!

All kidding aside, thanks for the informative post Edward.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Local multiplayer?!? Sweet!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wait so you're saying there is some form of the MP still in the Switch version after all?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Local multiplayer?!? Sweet!
I actually meant online multiplayer but your enthusiasm is noted. I personally really want to do local multiplayer, it's however it's a bit complicated to do given how Nightdive is situated. We programmers are situated around the world, not in a central location. I'm in New Zealand myself, the others are spread amongst the UK and US, not even in the same state.
Wait so you're saying there is some form of the MP still in the Switch version after all?
That's the plan, just not on launch.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Turok 1 and 2 are pretty different games by the way. They don't really play the same.

The basic shooting feels much different as Turok 1 had very aggressively large hit boxes while Turok 2 had aggressively small hit boxes.

I wonder how Turok 2 will play with dual analog. I remember I desperately wanted to love Turok 2 when it first came out on the N64 but I ended up being really disappointed by the tiny hitboxes and God awful framerate.

When the remaster came out for PC I was finally able to play the game I always wanted to.

Very curious to see how this holds up on Switch. I'm scared the game will control poorly like the N64 version.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I actually meant online multiplayer

Even better!

Hey I know you're a small company and I just want to extend my thanks and gratitude for everything you and the others have done to keep old games like this alive.

I bought Turok 1 on Switch day 1 and this will likely be no different.

PS: your continuing support for Blood is better than most AAA studios.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I actually meant online multiplayer but your enthusiasm is noted. I personally really want to do local multiplayer, it's however it's a bit complicated to do given how Nightdive is situated. We programmers are situated around the world, not in a central location. I'm in New Zealand myself, the others are spread amongst the UK and US, not even in the same state.

Nightdive are a treasure. Great work, on great games.

Shadowman to consoles pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. I'll buy every version of it, I promise!

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a Turok game.
I wonder how I might do with #2 without the sweet sweet power of nostalgia fueling my play.

Badly. :D

Alright, I didn't play that much of the game, but first couple of levels were really really bad. Cut&paste level design where you got lost because so many sections looked the same, pretty repetitive encounters, and the combat was that fun either. Everything related to something of a story was pretty appaling as well.

IMHO, of course, based on the first parts of the game.

People seem to like this one, but based on what I played, but from what little I played, I saw nothing that should have earned the level of "cult" following this seems to have.

But perhaps people who know the series then I do, can explain where I'm wrong.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Turok 1 and 2 are pretty different games by the way. They don't really play the same.

The basic shooting feels much different as Turok 1 had very aggressively large hit boxes while Turok 2 had aggressively small hit boxes.

I wonder how Turok 2 will play with dual analog. I remember I desperately wanted to love Turok 2 when it first came out on the N64 but I ended up being really disappointed by the tiny hitboxes and God awful framerate.

When the remaster came out for PC I was finally able to play the game I always wanted to.

Very curious to see how this holds up on Switch. I'm scared the game will control poorly like the N64 version.

You're in luck...the Switch has two analogue sticks and not one like the N64...! :)

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm torn between knowing I'd only play about five minutes of this and knowing those five minutes would be filled with some excellent Cerebral Bore action.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
post 25 has the digital foundry video :)

tl;dr perfect

this sounds even better then!?! :O

The Swich version even has gyro assisted aim. It could not possibly control any better.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do Rage Wars and Turok 3 too.

Rage Wars had some of the best weapons in an FPS lol. "The Inflator" "The Emaciator" "Cerebral Bore"

Turok 3 was a rip off of Half Life, but I still liked it when it came out.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

That's nice to hear.
Power Slave when? Pretty please!!!
Already bought and played Turok 1, 2 and Forsaken on xbox one.