• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I played both of these start-to-finish on the Xbox release, and had a total blast. HIGHLY recommended, and that cross-play for Turok 2 MP is [*chef's kiss*].

The level length/design is an utter nightmare in Turok 2, for any first-timers, but the actual conversion is ideal.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Turok 1 was the first game on the N64 that made me go : Yeah, that's next level.

I know there was a lot of fog but those gun animations were amazing.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
They were such great remasters. Highly recommended. I really had hoped they would have remastered Turok 3 by now:(

Anybody know why they haven't? Turok 3 was really good. Just had a terrible framerate.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
They were such great remasters. Highly recommended. I really had hoped they would have remastered Turok 3 by now:(

Anybody know why they haven't? Turok 3 was really good. Just had a terrible framerate.
They are moving on to Shadow Man, Exhumed/Powerslave, and more work on System Shock if I remember correctly. I wish they'd do that and Rage Wars!

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Every game we have on Switch has gyro aiming. Even Doom64, the one game that arguably doesn't need it.
As someone playing your Doom 64 remake, it didn't occur to me to transfer the concept over in my brain meats

Even if the game doesn't "need" it, I really appreciate it in there, too! Thanks for the info, and also all the hard work

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
While I am happy with gyro on PS4 and 4K 60 FPS on PS4 Pro, each game being 20 bucks is too much. 20 bucks for both is ok.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, crossplay with Switch? I heard that version didn't feature multiplayer at all. Was it patched in?

edit: apparently it's getting patched in soon. cool

Every game we have on Switch has gyro aiming. Even Doom64, the one game that arguably doesn't need it.

I appreciate this so much. Wish you handled Doom 3 too as that one really needed gyro aiming yet it doesn't

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Question for Turok 2 fans:

I grew up with Turok 1. I knew it was clunky, I knew it was foggy, I knew the platforming was awful- I didn't care. I loved it.
I didn't play Turok 2.
I rented Rage Wars (because it was always slim pickings at Blockbuster) and I actually loved it. It was Unreal Tournament on N64 but it was a blast.

So I blindly purchased Turok 2 Remastered on Switch. I spent 2-3 hours on the opening level. Backtracking, looking for objectives and refusing to look up the solution because for fuck's sake it's the opening level, I couldn't live with myself if I needed a guide for the first level and I also didn't want to drop to one of the easier difficulties.

Wandering, backtracking, miniquests with esoteric designs and minimal explanations as enemies continue to respawn- I have a lot of experience with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters and I'm used to harder difficulties having backtracking and sometimes confusing missions. Turok 2 is on another level though.

Is all of Turok 2 like this?

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Mmmm, always wanted to try them as I never had a N64, but 40€ ? Come on son.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Has some shots on this with crossplay and man love some dumb arena online gameplay. I miss this shit.
Might even triple dip.

Last edited:

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the remaster of 2. It's excellent. I'm glad this finally made it to PS4. And this game's still fucking sick, everything about it is still so cool - the arsenal, the enemy designs, the music, everything. Great to be able to play it at a smooth framerate. Idk if it's because I'm older (these things usually are) but I had a blast navigating the levels this time around and didn't have any issues with getting lost. The only thing I disliked was the map overlay, which looks really amateur, but it's a minor thing. Overall I thought it was just a great remaster of an already great game, good job Nightdive

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
The only thing I disliked was the map overlay, which looks really amateur, but it's a minor thing.
It's literally the map overlay they already had. :V
And it's about the best way to represent the information. It's rather close to classic Doom's automap in terms of function; it draws out the physical collision regions (you can only exist inside of a region, or the physics will shunt you back into the closest one immediately) which only define floors and ceilings, and the walls are simply the region connections or the lack thereof.
(Doom updates its automap based on what the renderer draws because the information is one in the same, while Turok updates regions based on which ones you have entered.)

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Now I've had a taste of Turok 2 netplay I'm dreaming on Turok Rage Wars full crossplay, I loved Rage Wars soo damn much.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Digital Foundry show off the Turok2 port on PS4 (well, PS5 in this case), and the crossplay, while I try to remember how we developed it back in 2017 at 6AM:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Phew, finally beat Turok 2. Those are some looong levels.

All said and done, I think I might actually prefer the first. The variety in Turok 2 is great, but there's something to be said of Turok 1's simplicity. Turok 2 got exhausting at some points, and I think it went out on a low with the last level. So many corridors and turrets. Not a lot of challenge, just nuisance. The Hive had tougher enemies. Turok 2 also has a lot of 'weird doohicky' weapons that serve little practical purpose compared to the numerous alternatives. Stuff like the sun pods, the tranquilizer gun, the flare gun, torpedo launcher, some straight upgrades (tek bow, war blade etc.) really clogs up the weapon list (thank goodness for the two wheels). Normally I'm all for that unusual stuff, but I'd prefer it have some lasting purpose. One reason I can't hail DOOM as the best FPS out there is because the pistol is only relevant for like 1% of the game. Then it's just a useless eighth of your arsenal. Poor design in my book. At least in something like Duke 3D, the pistol maintains an advantage in accuracy over the chaingun cannon (making it useful for activating distant buttons), and has its own type of ammo, making it a good backup when you run low. Plus it doesn't suck completely like the DOOM pistol does.

I've gotten sidetracked... uh...

The backtracking elements felt very padded. Levels are very large and segmented, and once you've cleared them the first time, they're mostly quiet. Abilities aside from the cleansing water had extremely limited use and weren't very exciting. There is a lot of new stuff being tried, and I appreciate it, I just wish they'd trimmed some of the fat out of these levels, and tweaked some weapons into having more useful functions in the later game.

As for the port, it's mostly excellent. I just struggled with aiming. Turok 1 enemies have giant hitboxes, and it doesn't matter much where you hit an enemy (honestly it became a bit of a problem as these giant hitboxes seemed to stick around on corpses, sometimes blocking my shots, or at least appearing to do so). However, Turok 2 is a game that really really demands precision with its tight hitboxes, high headshot damage on otherwise quite spongey enemies, and some very mobile foes, but I found the deadzone on both the stick and gyro aiming was too large. I tweaked the controller sensitivity and acceleration, but I couldn't find any configuration that remedied my issue. I got better with practice and compensated by learning how to dodge really well, but making precise adjustments to my aim was a struggle through to the end of the game. There doesn't appear to be much of any aim assist either to mitigate the issue. That and the overlay map resetting it's zoom level after every area change got annoying.

This probably isn't useful feedback given how old the original port is, but I'd thought I'd give it anyway. Still largely excellent, and I'm happy to add more to my old school FPS collection. It's a fine state of affairs when I can play Doom 1, 2, 64, and 3, Duke 3D, and Turok 1 & 2 on a PS5.