• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The internet, Facebook and Fox buzzwords have really ruined peoples brain. Merely having a story focus on a PoC and referencing women's reproductive health = woke culture war on children.

I find the 'it teaches kids to disobey parents' thing kinda wild because that seems like half the coming of age stories out there. It was also the plot of Luca!

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
What an amazing movie. This might be the most expressive Pixar's yet and Mei and her friends are just so lovable.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I find the 'it teaches kids to disobey parents' thing kinda wild because that seems like half the coming of age stories out there. It was also the plot of Luca!
The insane take I've seen is someone saying that Pixar's depiction of Mei's hustling the panda to pay for the concert was metaphorically sex work.

This movie doing WORK on the minds of the shittiest parts of the internet.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the people upset about it having a theme of disobeying your parents is that they're trying to fit it into the current "parent's choice" culture war bullshit, where parents have the right to shield their children from mask mandates, CRT, and gender studies...

Which really doesn't apply to this film because there's no governmental authority or any teachers or authority figures that are subverting the mother, it's just kids discovering themselves and listening to friends which is what every teenager does. At most you could see 4 Town as "the media", but they're just an NSync type group and don't express any real messages throughout the film.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't shocked at the 13 year old writing fanfic. I was impressed since I was never that capable as a kid -especially at the quality of the art.
That scene struck a chord with me.

I remember one time around that age, I drew some completely innocuous anime characters. Like, not even edgelord anime characters, just goofy anime characters, and copied some random Japanese symbols from Yugioh and called them the Chi Men.

My mom found the drawings in my notebook and much like the mom in the movie flipped out thinking it was some kind of satanic sex deal. It's probably one of the worse interactions I've ever had with my mom other than the time she caught me watching BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Enjoyed it. Not one of Pixar's best by any means but the animation was fantastic and had a nice message. Story felt quite basic and simplistic compared to Pixar's better films. Early 2000s setting was an inspired choice. 7/10.

Last edited:

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the people upset about it having a theme of disobeying your parents is that they're trying to fit it into the current "parent's choice" culture war bullshit, where parents have the right to shield their children from mask mandates, CRT, and gender studies...

Which really doesn't apply to this film because there's no governmental authority or any teachers or authority figures that are subverting the mother, it's just kids discovering themselves and listening to friends which is what every teenager does. At most you could see 4 Town as "the media", but they're just an NSync type group and don't express any real messages throughout the film.
I don't know. There was jackbooted school security guard wearing a turban that prevented a mother from even seeing her child. Its a slippery slope. /

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
It felt refreshing while being entirely predictable. I'm glad it treated old themes with more honesty than most Disney movies, and it's visually gorgeous: it oozes with style and I really enjoyed the slight (but omnipresent) anime influences.

One thing I didn't like though is the inclusion, if I'm not mistaken, of yet another implied-but-not-explicitly-LGBT character. It's starting to be a Disney tradition at this point. Is it so hard to not pander to dictatorships and hardcore conservatives and just openly have an LGBT character? It's a movie about puberty for fuck's sake.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It felt refreshing while being entirely predictable. I'm glad it treated old themes with more honesty than most Disney movies, and it's visually gorgeous: it oozes with style and I really enjoyed the slight (but omnipresent) anime influences.

One thing I didn't like though is the inclusion, if I'm not mistaken, of yet another implied-but-not-explicitly-LGBT character. It's starting to be a Disney tradition at this point. Is it so hard to not pander to dictatorships and hardcore conservatives and just openly have an LGBT character? It's a movie about puberty for fuck's sake.
Well, it's been heavily implied Disney stepped in and the LGBT elements were trimmed down...probably concerning Tyler and Priya and the goth girl.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
This is easily one of my favorite movies ever. 11/10 for me. Loved the themes, the animation, the humor, everything about it. I'm Asian, so I guess YMMV to some extent, but I felt this movie was firing on every cylinder possible. The anime influences were notable and made for such amazing action scenes.

I also see some posts in this thread about the targeted audience being teens and pre-teens and I'm baffled tbh. The humor is all-ages zany, physical humor of your usual family friendly CG movies but the time period, the puberty allegory, the (grand)mother-daughter dynamic is clearly meant to speak to an older audience as well. I guess the overall aesthetic is Pixar x shoujo which is maybe an acquired taste for some people.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The insane take I've seen is someone saying that Pixar's depiction of Mei's hustling the panda to pay for the concert was metaphorically sex work.

This movie doing WORK on the minds of the shittiest parts of the internet.

I read the same about Spirited Away

Basically a girl doing something = prostitution in their mind

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the antagonist was beaten with tween dancing cringe was funny as all hell.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This felt really different from Pixar's usual fare, but I absolutely loved it. Kinda went over my six year old's head in many regards, def better suited to early teenagers, but still, excellent all around. Loved how frenetic and alive the animation was, probably the most Animated animation I've seen come out of Disney/Pixar.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i cant stop thinking about how god damn straight up fun this movie was
and so forking creative too, my goodness. what a treat. one of my favorite films in a while I think

i legit feel bad and confused about some people not "getting" or enjoying it. like, this shit is just fucking hilarious. I can't imagine living life as one of those user reviewers. how miserable existence must be for some of them, yippie-ki-yikes motherfuckers

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else see the Domee Shi's Apollo Justice fan art in the documentary? I felt like I was on the exact same wavelength as the entire creative team behind this movie and now I know why.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Easily, This movie had me screaming at the mother.

The mart scene did me in, but stalking and pads at school.
The mart scene, and what came before that (where she was going crazy with her drawings), made me recall the kinda drawings I used to doodle when I was that age and when her mom opened the notebook, a chill went up my spine as I pictured what if that exact scenario played out, but with ME and my parents, and I'm a guy! But it's totally relatable, especially with the shit I used to do and try to keep secret from my family as a teen.

This movie's a gem! I told my sisters to check it out because they were about Mei's age during that time (early 00s) and seeing Mei and her friends kinda made me think about them and their NSYNC craziness and how they'd memorize all the dance moves and such. Awesome movie, comedy gold, and stunning visuals (the car scene...candy for the eyes). Also thought there was also some interesting parallels with Encanto regarding familiar expectations. Would make a great double feature!

When you grow up, it becomes clear that some parents aren't really "all that"! When you're kids, you worship your parents, but the older you get, the more it becomes apparent that our parents aren't perfect, they are flawed, and that's alright. The illusion to keep up this "parents are the gold standard of everything"/"HOW DARE they show a kid disobeying their parents AND showing that parents aren't always right, are flawed or are misguided in how they handle certain situations!" narrative that they (the parents always crying about this shit) were brainwashed into thinking. The funny thing, the parents crying over stuff like this are the most FLAWED of 'em ALL!!!! They are the ones whose children probably deserve BETTER, especially if they are the traditionally Conservative whackadoo parents.

Last edited:

balb

Oct 30, 2017
was wondering if anything in this movie is queer-coded. didn't notice much when I watched.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some people read into Mei's and Miriam's affectionate relationship as potentially sapphic with Miriam having a butch look to her. Priya and the goth girl were clearly hitting it off and danced with each other. And Tyler shows no interest in the girls around him, but cries his heart out for Aaron Z.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Me and my girlfriend thought the movie was ok, one of Pixar's worst (which is a high bar). I don't really like Pixar's new art style they've used between Luca and this. I guess I'm missing something with people thinking it's better than Soul or even Luca (but to a lesser extent).

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Did anyone have this take during Shazam!?

Or the billion "Kid uses his new super powers to make money" stories.

Even The Last Airbender did it.

And let us never forget...

13f02ce721c02d59.jpg

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
So many people hung up on this movie taking place shortly after 9/11. This movie is set in a world where an ancient god gave a human the power to turn into a giant red panda. Magic and ghosts exist in this world. Why are we assuming 9/11 even happened? Was there a reference to it that I missed?

I meant psychological stakes. Mei-Mei seems pretty happy before turning into a red panda.
She isn't though. There's an entire sequence where her friends want her to come hang out with them for karaoke and she can't because she has to clean the temple with her mom. She acts cool about it in front of her friends but as soon as she's out of their sight she's in a panicked rush to get home and is immediately dogged by her mom for being late. She's living for her mom's approval. If she was happy with that life the movie as we saw it wouldn't have taken place.

I wonder if Pixar has bragging rights for being the first to create a feminine hygiene product box for an animated film
That award regretfully goes to Sausage Party

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Finished the movie - I really enjoyed it

I would say of recent movies it's second best after Soul

Onward is third for me and I found Luca to be the worst

Still none of these movies match the greatness that was Coco even to this day

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it with the wife and a couple of our friends, all four of us thought it was just ok. It was more Luca than Soul or Coco, in that it felt like Pixar's second team made it. Neither the wife or I are big fans of how they've modeled the human characters in this movie and Luca(the Wallace and Gromit style look).

One thing I have to give them props for is the Canadian/Toronto references and the sound design was spectacular, especially if you have an Atmos system.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this. Related to this a lot as someone who's second-generation Asian immigrant. Loved it a lot more than the last few Pixar movies.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Parent of a 10 year old here. We loved it.

-All the boy band songs are good lol
-It's a beautiful film.
-Unique story. We don't hear many stories with puberty/period metaphors.
-i could see some kids being really inspired by this movie.

Only dislikes;
-I do admit it doesn't hit hard emotionally like other pixar films. It is a fun movie though. We don't need to cry all the time.
- The end scenes felt all over the place.

I give it an 8.5/10.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Almost every larger children's story basically follows this plot line. Harry Potter leans on it heavily.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
That was a fun movie. Was not expecting Twerking Panda stopping a Angry Kaiju Sized Panda Mom

Was thinking the ending was gonna be different.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
This was so fucking good. It really wasn't on my radar but this was spectacular. Loved the message too.

The final act was fantastic and I couldnt stop cracking up at grandma's necklace at the end. Really great gag right there.

Loved how diverse this movie was as well. Shout out to Pixar for going the extra mile.

And man that animation. Them anime impact frames. Those backgrounds. Whewwwwww

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I watched it yesterday. I thought it was awesome! Mei and her friends were awesome, and so was the mom. I wasn't really feeling the dad at first (other than some throwaway stuff he said or did), but he was great in the final act. Apart from the story and the top-notch visuals, I loved all the anime facial reactions. Also, this is probably the only time I'll ever see something as Canadian as Tim Bits in a movie, so that was cool, too. I absolutely would have watched it in theaters, had that been an option.

It might be worth noting that this is the first Pixar movie I've seen since Toy Story 4. Since I do have a D+ sub, I should get around to watching the movies in between.

Empathy IS work to some extent. You can look at Mei and her adventure and life and see thousands of differences from yourself, even if you yourself are part of her demographic. So you have to sometimes put effort into it, try to extract the meaning of the lives of others and find points of connectivity. It's not THAT hard, but it does take some imagination and willingness to put yourself in others shoes. Obviously, people can find Turning Red, like any story, to be an unrelatable for one reason or another, but if they are doing so, you want to look into how and why - are they trying to relate to it? Because if they are, I think whatever the actual point of failure is, it will rarely truly be an ethnic or cultural or age barrier. People are people all over, and if someone as different as me can relate to Mei, I think most people can.

Yes, exactly. Have you ever had expectations placed on you by a parent, guardian, or anyone else? If not, can you at least imagine having to live up to someone else's expectations? Well, now you know how Mei feels about that! You don't have to relate to the specifics, like Mei being a 13 year old Chinese-Canadian girl growing up in Toronto in the early 2000s. If that were the case, hardly anyone would be able to relate to any movie ever.