• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I have a smart tv from 2017. It is connected to wifi.

We didnt use it yesturday and it was turned off but I checked this morning and it used 30 GB of data in like 15 hours.

I disconnected it from interner once I noticed.

I dont think we used an APP anytime recently and no way an update is 30 gigs.

wtf could this been? its never done that b4

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it's updates, could be crypto or they seed updates like a torrent network instead of using their own bandwidth and servers to the max.

My Sony TV does tend to turn itself on for some reason, you put it on standby then come downstairs 20 mins later and the screen in on. I can't work out why, two have done this.

OP
OP
LanceX2

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
How would one know if something is involved in crypto-related activity?

Dunno. I think my wife used the USB function Sunday but no internet apps.

I just disconnected it from internet. She doesnt use the appa on that TV anyways. just wierd.

My neighbors are pretty far away from me to hack wifi. Like over 50 feet away etc.

Just seems wierd.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dunno. I think my wife used the USB function Sunday but no internet apps.

I just disconnected it from internet. She doesnt use the appa on that TV anyways. just wierd.

My neighbors are pretty far away from me to hack wifi. Like over 50 feet away etc.

Just seems wierd.
Is wardriving still a thing? Do people do that and install crypto miners these days?

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a fire stick? Sometimes I turn off the TV and the fire stick is still streaming whatever I was watching when I turn it on later. I have to make sure to turn off the fire stick and the tv.

OP
OP
LanceX2

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a fire stick? Sometimes I turn off the TV and the fire stick is still streaming whatever I was watching when I turn it on later. I have to make sure to turn off the fire stick and the tv.

No she rarely uses this TV.

Were just gonna disconnect it for good or until she wants to netflix it.

She usually uses a hard drive to watch shit anyways

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If it's one link, you're still going to get pwned. Seperate connection treating one like a DMZ makes sense.
It's a possibility, but much less of one due to the separate firewalls. I also feed all network traffic through a Splunk instance to watch for abnormalities.

I'm a cybersec engineer for a living, so this stuff is what I do :P

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
According to my router, the Prime Video app on my TV used ~1.5x the amount of upload data that my Netflix app did. Or, at least 1.5x the amount of data was going to Amazon servers as Netflix servers on my TV which could have been happening in other apps. This was in months where I streamed 1 or 2 movies on Amazon and 10+ hours per week on Netflix and added up to several GBs. It's sketchy and I should check again since changing to an external box.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
It's a possibility, but much less of one due to the separate firewalls. I also feed all network traffic through a Splunk instance to watch for abnormalities.

I'm a cybersec engineer for a living, so this stuff is what I do :P

Wait, you pipe all of your network traffic through one computer that's running a splunk agent? Why would you do that? or do you mean you have a splunk agent listening to all traffic?

as an infosec dude, I think you get my point - we're more pwned on a physical level than we think.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Wait, you pipe all of your network traffic through one computer that's running a splunk agent? Why would you do that? or do you mean you have a splunk agent listening to all traffic?

as an infosec dude, I think you get my point - we're more pwned on a physical level than we think.
I have my network traffic going through a network TAP that reports into a Splunk Stream instance. So it's passively listening, not actually feeding through.