• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The S.RPG genre is always one of my favorites and most rewarding comfort food in terms of gaming.

On the PC front, i can always rely on the good old reliable Heroes Of the Might & Magic series to satisfy my turned based S.RPG itch......with HOMM3 being one of my top 10 GOAT!
220px-Homm3boxart.jpg

A pity that the HOMM series seemingly 'died' with the last HOMM7.

Disciples 2: Dark Prophecy is also one of my favs with its killer artwork and streamlined resource gathering gameplay (though it seems to be a really niche series in terms of outreach)
250px-Disciples_2_cover.jpg

The Disciples series seems to have died too with 3 and its developers going under.

On the console front, turned base S.RPG were seeming more popular but also a different type of beasts altogether. there's your Shining Forces, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblems, Langrissers, etc..but my favourite, and one that i think that's seriously being undermentioned is Dragon Force by Sega releasing exclusively on the Sega Saturn.
220px-Dragon_Force_Coverart.png

The 1st Dragon Force remains one of the largest (and longest) games one can buy for their saturn with 8 campaigns for each of the 8 main kingdoms/protagonists...(with each campaign being so large, the saturn internal memory doesn't even have the capacity to store more than one save game, you'll definitely need an external Memory card for it).
The series' last entry was Dragon Force 2, only for the sega saturn in japan and never reaching the western shores.

Any other some of the S.RPG (that's not the usual suspects) that you can recommend? Are there any new S.RPGs (that's not fire emblem) being released in the horizon?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem and FF Tactics, but by far the best SRPG I've ever played is Tactics Ogre. From the story to the mechanics, it's everything I want out of an SRPG.

OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem and FF Tactics, but by far the best SRPG I've ever played is Tactics Ogre. From the story to the mechanics, it's everything I want out of an SRPG.

man..i forgot about this too though i can never get really into it.

Only tried out the first one (Ogre Battle) and the battle system is very different from what i am used to.

I like the tone and atmosphere of the series though.

Was there ever a 3rd entry?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
The only series I ever liked was Shining Force, as it was essentially a standard J-RPG - with the world map, the exploration, the towns, just with an S-RPG combat system.

All the others I've tried send me to sleep.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017

Only tried out the first one (Ogre Battle) and the battle system is very different from what i am used to.

Ogre Battle's battle system is totally different from Tactics Ogre. If you like FFT you'll love Tactics Ogre. The PSP version cleans up a lot of the stuff that was a bit archaic about the original (plus it's portable). One of my favourite games ever!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
My absolute fave SRPGS:

1) Shining Force 3 S1-S3 (Saturn)
- The gold standard of the genre. Came out as 3 full fat standalone games, with your save shared between them (each disc has its own set of heroes, and the sets sometimes meet in the games - you can sometimes see the same stuff occur twice but from the perspective of a different protagonist, which was very cool. Moving to the actual battles, characters helping an adjacent one on the grid in battle in some way could result in a better relationship, giving them benefits such as resistances or stat gains when next to each other. Different terrains gives movement penalties/defence bonuses. Each weapon type has its own set of special attacks that randomly hit (like crits) that must be learnt, with some exclusive to certain special weapons. There are terrain advantages too.

And then there are the tombs. I love these, they're almost like a minigame with even more strategy - some maps have tombs in them, and if you have previously gotten a map to that tomb, you have a decision to make as to whether to split some characters off to get the treasure, which makes the main fight more satisfying as you have to make an assessment as to who you can spare for however long the tomb takes to clear without losing the level. And you have to work out whether those characters can even catch the thieves to make them spit it out(your characters cannot unlock the treasure chests so you must wait for the thieves to get them first), AND that they won't kill them before they drop every item (thieves will drop one item per attack, even if a killing blow is launched).

Patches for the untranslated JP scenarios 2 & 3 are available here:

There's also a patch for US/UK Scenario 1 (which had it's ending changed as they knew S2 & S3 would never come out west, this restores the original ending).

2) UFO : Enemy Unknown (also known as XCOM : Ufo Defence) (PC/PSX)
Even 25 years later this is widely considered one of the greatest PC games ever made. Superb tactical battles with a great base/research system. Super atmospheric, terror missions with chrysallids are indeed terrifying.

Nightmare fuel from a mod:

kJu8hMz.png

3) Vandal Hearts (PSX)
- One of the "quickest" srpgs ever, in that type weakness is REALLY strong, so you can be wiped out (or vice versa) very quickly given your tactics. Also it has possibly the most imaginative scenarios in the genre - there are so many different and creative goals, it's really very impressive. For instance there's a battle against a sand ant whose hidden body is so large you have to walk up a sand dune that is created around it to attack its head. All the while, its arms will attack you, and while they are individually weak, new ones will appear every round. The thing that makes this battle so cool is that every round, the sand ant head will move, and with it, so will the sand dune! So the topology of the map changes every round:

4) Mysteria : Realms of Lore - also known as Riglord Saga and Blazing Heroes (Saturn)
Looks very ugly, but has super satisfying rock hard battles, cool skills and lets you challenge scenarios at your own pace

Would also recommend Vanguard Bandits (Mech SRPG with TONS of branching - PSX) and Rondo of Swords (Has a really cool system where you have to run through enemies to hurt them, so you can hit multiple enemies with one character in one turn. It's fairly unique afaik - DS). Saiyuuki on the PSX was pretty fun, though it was kind of simple. Some of the Front Mission games are fun too. Also Growlanser : Wayfarer of Time on the PSP, which has a pretty cool active SRPG battle system and lots of branching. Very waifu heavy though

Last edited:
OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
If anyone wants to play Dragon Force 2, exist a very nice fan translation, and a physical copy is relatively cheap.

have you played it yet? Is it as good as the first one?

the first one is always regrettably not mentioned within the ranks of all-time S.RPG greats because it's not as prolific as FF Tactics. But it should be!

OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
4) Mysteria : Realms of Lore (Also known as Riglord Saga and Blazing Heroes (Saturn)
Looks very ugly, but has super satisfying rock hard battles.

i'm glad you love this but i tried this and can't get over how visually ugly it is...even in 1996 when my tolerance for pixelated textures and low framerate is high. Can't speak much of the gameplay as i can't stomach the butt ugly graphics and low low low framerate

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I've always appreciated them, but I've since run out of patience to play any. Stuff like Disgaea made me realize the genre was too hardcore for me. I prefer simpler games these days. The most I can take is Valkyria Chronicles, which is simple enough and has other attractive trappings besides the strategy itself.

It is sad to see when a strategy game foregoes it roots however, such is the case with the Shining series and now, Sakura Wars.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Tactics Ogre is way different than Ogre Battle (it's what Matsuno made directly before FFT, and very similar, with some differences). There was a pretty good entry on GBA too, called Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (though Matsuno wasn't involved in it).

On PC, I'd suggest King's Bounty for HoMM fans. There's 3 or 4 of them and they're all crazy addictive and good.

SRPGs are by far my favourite genre.

A franchise I really love (along with the company who made it) is Summon Night. Unfortunately only 5 and 6 were brought over to the West, but those are still great. The defunct dev, Flight-Plan, also made a bunch of awesome PS1 and PS2 SRPGs like Dragon Shadow Spell and the Black/matrix series, but again, only Eternal Poison was brought over (also a very cool game).

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
i'm glad you love this but i tried this and can't get over how visually ugly it is...even in 1996 when my tolerance for pixelated textures and low framerate is high. Can't speak much of the gameplay as i can't stomach the butt ugly graphics and low low low framerate

Hahaha. I didn't have much money to spend on games back then, so I had to bear with it. And I'm very glad I did.

Also I forgot to mention Growlanser : Wayfarer of Time on the PSP, which has a pretty cool active SRPG battle system. Very waifu heavy though

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I've always appreciated them, but I've since run out of patience to play any. Stuff like Disgaea made me realize the genre was too hardcore for me. I prefer simpler games these days. The most I can take is Valkyria Chronicles, which is simple enough and has other attractive trappings besides the strategy itself.

It is sad to see when a strategy game foregoes it roots however, such is the case with the Shining series and now, Sakura Wars.

It might just be that you don't like a specific type of SRPG? Ones that insist on you creating your own characters and being very deep into jobs and stats, like Disgaea, FFT and Tactics Ogre really aren't my cup of tea either (though I gut through the Disgaea games as the story is often fun).

I'd say try Vandal Hearts on the PSX, that's totally in the other direction and one of my faves.

OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Forgot to add in Wachenroder. A late Japanese-only sega saturn title. I was on a japanese saturn game spree back in 1998-2000 and holding the fort and refusing to fall to the 'dark side' of the playstation then (the irony now that i owned more playstation platform than any systems...PS2/3/P/Vita/TV/4/4Pro owner here). As such, i bought almost every last sega saturn games that peak my interest, even those in japanese with no translation.

Wachenroder is like a steampunk version of FF Tactics. Can't say it's one of the best but i like the artwork and it tied me through the 'tough' times when i was the only seemingly sega saturn fortholder :P

images
wachenroder-26.png

RoyalJL

Oct 28, 2017
have you played it yet? Is it as good as the first one?

the first one is always regrettably not mentioned within the ranks of all-time S.RPG greats because it's not as prolific as FF Tactics. But it should be!

I only played for 1-2 hours testing if it works. It's in my (infinite) backlog of games.

I hope to return to the Saturn soonish to play the fan translations of Dragon Force 2 and Shining Force 3 (1-3).

Even 23 years later this is widely considered one of greatest PC games ever made. Superb tactical battles with a great base/research system. Super atmospheric, terror missions with chrysallids are indeed terrifying.

From the same creator of the original UFO/XCOM: Rebelstar (GBA)

It's more linear than UFO/XCOM, instead of having a global map with events, you have around 20 missions. Also the reaction mechanics on enemy turns are better. And it's portable :)

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite sub-genre. I like how I could think carefully what to do next, taking my time before executing the moves (and yeah, load back the last save if the result is not to my liking :p)

I started liking this sub-genre after truly playing Disgaea (PS2). Since then, I've played all mainline series of that game.
Some of the SRPG thet I've played and enjoyed: Disgaea series, Valkyria Chronicle series, FF Tactics series, Trails of series, XCOM2 (thanks PS+), Children of Zodiarcs and many more. I even enjoyed Natural Doctorine.

One of my favorite sub-genres. It's simply timeless, as you can play the classics or modern ones, and they still feel similar.

There's also Fell Seal.

Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed CoZ and plat it last week. Now I've put that game in my PSN wishlist. Will buy once I've cleared some of my backlog.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo-ds-advance-wars-days-of-ruin.jpg

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was pretty cool

Had an awesome map editor and multiplayer which I thought was pretty novel at the time.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope that everyone here have played Jagged Alliance 2? One of the absolute gems in the genre.

• Build and maintain a squad of mercenaries, to liberate the fictive country of Arulco
  • Freedom to go where you want on the map. Very non-linear structure in the whole game.
  • Different combat styles and personalities for the mercs.
  • The first merc is completely custom made by you.
  • Lots of optional (and sometimes weird quests)
  • Toggle for including or removing optional scifi content.
  • Destructive enviroments
  • Crafting
  • And it's pretty damn funny as well.

2e71a31354f2ef892b0f87a18a4c90401b01d30e6cf5daed1af9a52bb064c667_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

5907e8418c3d42fe86daed62d13f6d8a.jpg

OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I do hope that everyone here have played Jagged Alliance 2? One of the absolute gems in the genre.

• Build and maintain a squad of mercenaries, to liberate the fictive country of Arulco
  • Freedom to go where you want on the map. Very non-linear structure in the whole game.
  • Different combat styles and personalities for the mercs.
  • The first merc is completely custom made by you.
  • Lots of optional (and sometimes weird quests)
  • Toggle for including or removing optional scifi content.
  • Destructive enviroments
  • Crafting
  • And it's pretty damn funny as well.

2e71a31354f2ef892b0f87a18a4c90401b01d30e6cf5daed1af9a52bb064c667_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

5907e8418c3d42fe86daed62d13f6d8a.jpg

good recommendations.

The replies made me reinstall Heroes of Might & Magic 3 on all old laptop..

gonna have a blast tonight.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wild Arms XF is really good. Like FFT with more interesting gameplay scenarios & weirder jobs. Also only $10 on the US PSN.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wild Arms XF is really good. Like FFT with more interesting gameplay scenarios & weirder jobs. Also only $10 on the US PSN.
While I don't like XF nearly as much as you and a couple of other posters do, I can't wait for the next Media.Vision SRPG. They've contributed a ton to Valkyria Chronicles 3 and 4, FE: Fates, Summon Night 6, etc. Outside of their Shining Force in the style of Valkyria Chronicles game (Shining Blade, which sounds like a dream come true but was terrible in practice, mostly due to poor balancing), they've kind of knocked it out of the park in terms of SRPG gameplay.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
SRPGs are one of my favourite genres, and I'm really enjoying the fact that they seem pretty popular these days. But one of the biggest things I'm still missing in the genre is good multiplayer support. The only game I can think of that even has it is Blood Bowl.

In terms of recommendations, for western games, I've always liked the Age of Wonders franchise much more than Heroes of Might and Magic, despite it's relative obscurity. With Shadow Magic being the best of the bunch.

For Japanese games, Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time has already been mentioned and is my favorite one, although it's real time so not strictly turn based. Vantage Master is also another great obscure recommendation. It's basically Advance Wars except made by Falcom, with way more interesting units and maps, and with a way higher level of difficulty. And it's also free now, although I'm not sure how it runs on modern PCs.

Sting also made some good games (and sadly also a bunch of crap). Yggdra Union is a great take on traditional SRPGs, while Knights in the Nightmare is a super crazy blend of SRPGs and bullet hell shmups that works way better than you'd think is possible.

In terms of under the radar upcoming releases, I'm keeping an eye on Fae Tactics. It looks pretty ugly in the screenshots, but it's from the developer of Valdis Story, which was way better than it looked at first glance.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Sting also made some good games (and sadly also a bunch of crap). Yggdra Union is a great take on traditional SRPGs, while Knights in the Nightmare is a super crazy blend of SRPGs and bullet hell shmups that works way better than you'd think is possible.
Not really a fan of Yggdra Union or Knights in the Nightmare, but Gungnir on PSP was super enjoyable, mostly because it dialed back a ton of their eccentricities.

Bit of a shame Sting couldn't afford to keep the Dept. Heaven games going. They were doing some real crazy shit with them.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I was a fan of the genre. My favorites are Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Jeanne D'Arc, Disgaea 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics.

But nowadays these games feel to slow to play for me. Everything seems to take forever and I hate to fuck up and replay whole missions. I vastly prefer more action-based RPGs nowadays. It doesn't have to be true action gameplay, but something like Final Fantasy 12 or Xenoblade Chronices where the battles feel fast and fluid.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, would you say Valkyria Chronicles counts? I've found that to be a great, underrated SRPG series.

OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
In terms of recommendations, for western games, I've always liked the Age of Wonders franchise much more than Heroes of Might and Magic, despite it's relative obscurity. With Shadow Magic being the best of the bunch.

I have shadow magic physical but can never get into it for whatever reason. The HOMM series remains my fav pc srpg followed by disciple 2.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V.chronicles definitely counts.

I like it until the game balance starts to get whacked out of order.

The latter part is impossible (to me at least)
The balance is definitely lacking, and the games rely too much on singular map gimmicks that are easy to sidestep once you know of them. I suppose my enjoyment of them is steeped in their great blending of genres.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The balance is definitely lacking, and the games rely too much on singular map gimmicks that are easy to sidestep once you know of them. I suppose my enjoyment of them is steeped in their great blending of genres.
It's a bit of a shame we haven't seen more games try and use those systems :( There's Mordheim, which I was incredibly hyped for pre-release, but kind of screwed the pooch when it came to clarity (the maps are confusing and a bit boring to move around), Natural Doctrine (which is just abysmal), Shining Blade, Codename STEAM, and not much else.

Fudo Myo

Oct 30, 2017
Great thread, OP. Embarrassingly, I own most of the games mentioned in this thread, old and new, and have never really played any of them. I have a lot of classics on my Vita -- I think I'll try Tactics Ogre on the train home tonight.

F4raday

Jul 4, 2019
Man, I wish they made more games like the ones mentioned above and that devs in general would use more turn-based mechanics. Even though it gained in popularity lately, I still feel that this is a severely underrepresented genre.

I get that there a lot of people prefer games to be immersive and not "gamey", but it's the exactly this gamey aspect of turn based games that makes them so compelling for me (though being a board game geek probably has something to do with that too ;)).

One of the most underrated (recent) SRPG's is probably Children of Zodiarcs.

It's on sale right now on Steam and it's dirt cheap.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
It might just be that you don't like a specific type of SRPG? Ones that insist on you creating your own characters and being very deep into jobs and stats, like Disgaea, FFT and Tactics Ogre really aren't my cup of tea either (though I gut through the Disgaea games as the story is often fun).

I'd say try Vandal Hearts on the PSX, that's totally in the other direction and one of my faves.
Thanks for the recommendation. I might give it a go sometime. Is it on the PSN for PS3/4?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation. I might give it a go sometime. Is it on the PSN for PS3/4?

I'm not sure, I ripped my psx version and just emulate it these days.

If you're looking on PSN though, make sure you don't get the AWFUL "Vandal Hearts : Flames of Judgment". It was a sequel in name only not made by the original team. I know for sure THAT turd was on PSN at one point.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
It's been one of my favorite genres since I first booted up Fire Emblem on the GBA as a naive kid. FE is my favorite series in the genre because I feel it has the best mechanics, balance, and progression. I also love Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre, with Let Us Cling Together being my favorite of that style.

I feel like the genre deserves more love from big developers and publishers these days, especially with the success of modern Fire Emblem. Still waiting on Square to make a new SRPG in the Octopath Traveler engine...

mckinleytl

Jan 10, 2018
Austin, Tx
I just want Shining Force to return to it's former glory. It's the second game that I ever beat myself when I was a kid. It's also the first game that I ever played again to beat a second time.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
On the PC front, i can always rely on the good old reliable Heroes Of the Might & Magic series to satisfy my turned based S.RPG itch......with HOMM3 being one of my top 10 GOAT!
220px-Homm3boxart.jpg

A pity that the HOMM series seemingly 'died' with the last HOMM7.

HoMM 3 Complete Edition is one of my favorite games of all time. Tons of content between the multitude of campaigns & all of the single scenario options. I grew up playing hotseat multiplayer at my friend's house until he (his parents) got it for me for my birthday. My brother & my Dad would go on to play for years to come. I still come back to it every year or so.

SRPGs are great. The love only grew from there when I got my GBA & discovered the glory of Fire Emblem, which has grown to become my favorite franchise. Not to mention other games like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

As for more recent entries I have to give a shoutout to the Banner Saga Trilogy. Beautiful hand drawn art work to go with extremely good tactical combat. Even growing your characters & building out their "strength" stat vs "shield break" stat ends up being a strategic decision.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Do the Divinity Original Sin games somehow not fit into this genre or is there some other reason they haven't been mentioned yet?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My absolute fave SRPGS:

1) Shining Force 3 S1-S3 (Saturn)
- The gold standard of the genre. Came out as 3 full fat standalone games, with your save shared between them (each disc has its own set of heroes, and the sets sometimes meet in the games - you can sometimes see the same stuff occur twice but from the perspective of a different protagonist, which was very cool. Moving to the actual battles, characters helping an adjacent one on the grid in battle in some way could result in a better relationship, giving them benefits such as resistances or stat gains when next to each other. Different terrains gives movement penalties/defence bonuses. Each weapon type has its own set of special attacks that randomly hit (like crits) that must be learnt, with some exclusive to certain special weapons. There are terrain advantages too.

And then there are the tombs. I love these, they're almost like a minigame with even more strategy - some maps have tombs in them, and if you have previously gotten a map to that tomb, you have a decision to make as to whether to split some characters off to get the treasure, which makes the main fight more satisfying as you have to make an assessment as to who you can spare for however long the tomb takes to clear without losing the level. And you have to work out whether those characters can even catch the thieves to make them spit it out(your characters cannot unlock the treasure chests so you must wait for the thieves to get them first), AND that they won't kill them before they drop every item (thieves will drop one item per attack, even if a killing blow is launched).

Patches for the untranslated JP scenarios 2 & 3 are available here:

There's also a patch for US/UK Scenario 1 (which had it's ending changed as they knew S2 & S3 would never come out west, this restores the original ending).

Even 25 years later this is widely considered one of the greatest PC games ever made. Superb tactical battles with a great base/research system. Super atmospheric, terror missions with chrysallids are indeed terrifying.

Nightmare fuel from a mod:

kJu8hMz.png

3) Vandal Hearts (PSX)
- One of the "quickest" srpgs ever, in that type weakness is REALLY strong, so you can be wiped out (or vice versa) very quickly given your tactics. Also it has possibly the most imaginative scenarios in the genre - there are so many different and creative goals, it's really very impressive. For instance there's a battle against a sand ant whose hidden body is so large you have to walk up a sand dune that is created around it to attack its head. All the while, its arms will attack you, and while they are individually weak, new ones will appear every round. The thing that makes this battle so cool is that every round, the sand ant head will move, and with it, so will the sand dune! So the topology of the map changes every round:

4) Mysteria : Realms of Lore - also known as Riglord Saga and Blazing Heroes (Saturn)
Looks very ugly, but has super satisfying rock hard battles, cool skills and lets you challenge scenarios at your own pace

Would also recommend Vanguard Bandits (Mech SRPG with TONS of branching - PSX) and Rondo of Swords (Has a really cool system where you have to run through enemies to hurt them, so you can hit multiple enemies with one character in one turn. It's fairly unique afaik - DS). Saiyuuki on the PSX was pretty fun, though it was kind of simple. Some of the Front Mission games are fun too. Also Growlanser : Wayfarer of Time on the PSP, which has a pretty cool active SRPG battle system and lots of branching. Very waifu heavy though

I'll second Vandal Hearts, it's a damn good game.

SRPG is my favorite genre by far. So many amazing games.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any recommendations for these on iOS? I enjoyed the hell out of FF tactics on it but don't feel like there's been a whole lot of other games out there