• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm itching for another good turn-based JRPG now that I've finished ToCS III. What are some of your favorites on PS4/X1?

What I've already played:

Persona 5
DQXI
Trails of Cold Steel I - III
South Park: Fractured Butt Hole
FFVII - X-2

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Cosmic Star Heroine

Edit: oh, if tactical turn-based (e.g. Tactics Ogre) is also acceptable, Fell Seal is great too! One of my GOTYs.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think you played already but, FFX, FFVIII, FFIX, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Phantasy star i believe is there too on the sega collection, valkyrie chronicles remasterd and 4 kinda fits depending on the jury.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
yes i know they're 360 games but these are awesome and the are backwards compatible with the one

Oct 28, 2017
Battle Chasers Night War has a fun battle system and decent music

I think the Stick of Truth South Park game is the better one too.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
i think you played already but, FFX, FFVIII, FFIX, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Phantasy star i believe is there too on the sega collection, valkyrie chronicles remasterd and 4 kinda fits depending on the jury.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory are great, definitely recommended.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SaGa Scarlet Grace, if you are into unconventional JRPG with excellent turn-based combat (one of the best ever).

Shevat

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how tightly you define JRPGs, but Undertale and Indivisible are worth looking at.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
SMT Nocturne is on PSN.

Also not sure if it's on your radar or if you like the series, but Yakuza 7 (releasing in 2020) is going to a turn-based system and it looks GREAT. There's a demo on JP PSN you can download and try.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
there is this but it's very grindy

s-l640.jpg

Sep 25, 2018
User banned (5 days): Platform warring. History of similar behavior.
I'm itching for another good turn-based JRPG now that I've finished ToCS III. What are some of your favorites on PS4/X1?

What I've already played:

Persona 5
DQXI
Trails of Cold Steel I - III
South Park: Fractured Butt Hole
FFVII - X-2

should of got a switch to get more options I'm guessing since you asking for Xbox and ps4 that means you have nothing systems and both systems share a lot of the same games a switch would add ton more options

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age on whatever platform that suits you, it has some of the best battles and gameplay ever in any RPG (better than all the ones you mentioned).

Lost Odyssey on Xbox via BC: Play this if you prefer the story, the writing is solid especially the "Dreams", also the music is incredible.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Best turn-based game I've played in a long time: Battle Chasers: Nightwar. It doesn't have the "j" in jrpg, but it's beefy, fun, has great systems, and surprises frequently. The art? Fantastic. I've stared at the 2D animation of the world map for ages. Same creative team that originally developed Darksiders, to give you an idea of visuals.

And I haven't even mentioned the party members!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just recommend a smorgasbord across those two platforms, including stuff I don't think others will recommend:

Atelier Sophie (good turn-based combat (and a lot of optional bosses to tackle), fun characters with bonding ala Persona / Trails (though no relationship elements (thankfully!)), very in-depth and fun alchemy (letting you customise your own weapons, armour, attack and defense items, etc), alongside top-tier music and a more low-key story than is typical for the genre... If you enjoy it, there's a ton more Atelier to jump into, and the franchise is consistently enjoyable (if you can wait until next month, a remaster of the best modern Atelier game comes out (Atelier Escha and Logy)).

image-asset.jpeg

Summon Night 6 (an SRPG series with fab characters and a wonderful world, though only two mainline entries have been localised (5 on PSP, and 6 on PS4 and Vita) - this is a crossover game featuring a bunch of returning characters who you'll have no attachment to, but they're still all entertaining (and it has bonding elements, lots of sidequests, optional dialogue stuff and is relatively pretty for an SRPG, etc)).

ps4-summon-night-615.jpg

Labyrinth and the Coven of Refrain (a DRPG, and also by far the best thing NIS has released in forever - game has a great cast of surprisingly layered (and fucked up characters) wrapped in a very dark story, plus some interesting mechanics (everything to do with how you can bank exp, build up drop-rate, increase the potential of units, blah blah) alongside a ton of content).

labyrinth-of-refrain-image-2.jpg

Lost Odyssey.
Blue Dragon.
World of Final Fantasy
(basically Final Fantasy's monster battler - catch hundreds of classic FF monsters and go through a very silly and fun story filled with nods to the rest of the series).
God Wars: Future Past (fun enough FFT-lite SRPG)
Stranger of Sword City (cool DRPG with unique mechanics and an interesting setting - only on Xbox One (and Vita/PC)).
Valkyria Chronicles 1/4 (both fab SRPGs).

Oh, and this is very important...

DON'T LET ANYONE CON YOU INTO PLAYING ANY COMPILE HEART RPGS.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing SaGa Scarlet Grace and it's fantastic. I think it's my favorite turn based RPG that's on PS4.

The battle mechanics are really unique and good. And also, the structure of the game is just overall addicting and rewarding. They really stripped out a lot of the tedium and slowness that plagues JRPGs, leaving the game to be more fast-paced and engaging. I just want to keep playing and playing to see what else I can discover in the world.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm here to fourth SaGa Scarlet Grace. If a good turn based battle system is what you're after, you aren't going to find better on those systems. It's not a typical narrative heavy game focused on character interaction, but it has an incredible world you'll explore in a different, unashamedly cheaper, way. But you can interact with tons of missions, quests, characters and events spawn or disappear from the map frequently depending on your actions. It doesn't seem to get any negative impressions in the Official Thread that I've seen yet.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
that's the best game in the universe. I'm not joking. Played on Vita. Very pretty game. Bring a pair of balls.
Worth noting the more generic anime style art on the cover is an optional thing added with the Xbox One version, and the default style (which you still have access to) is significantly nicer:

strangerxbox1.jpg

1519644904-2518849014.jpg

Comparison:

bGeBzqf.png

artwork.stranger-of-sword-city.1415x723.2016-01-17.95.jpg

^^ Yes, that's the same character...

It's honestly super depressing they felt the need to do that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Worth noting the more generic anime style art on the cover is an optional thing added with the Xbox One version, and the default style (which you still have access to) is significantly nicer:

strangerxbox1.jpg

1519644904-2518849014.jpg

Comparison:

bGeBzqf.png

artwork.stranger-of-sword-city.1415x723.2016-01-17.95.jpg

damn that's depressing as fuck. Probably a good evidence that having an actual art style is now detrimental to the success of your game

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
SMT Nocturne is on PSN.

Also not sure if it's on your radar or if you like the series, but Yakuza 7 (releasing in 2020) is going to a turn-based system and it looks GREAT. There's a demo on JP PSN you can download and try.
Do I need to have played the other Yakuza games to enjoy this one? I only ever beat 0 but I don't really wanna play through the rest to get to this if it's required? As that's gonna take like 500 hours. But I really love the look and gameplay of the new one too

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Do I need to have played the other Yakuza games to enjoy this one? I only ever beat 0 but I don't really wanna play through the rest to get to this if it's required? As that's gonna take like 500 hours. But I really love the look and gameplay of the new one too

Doubtful. It has a new protagonist and anything from the previous games has a pretty low chance of being more than fan service.

It wasn't even suppose to be a numbered title until recently.

I personally don't expect anything more than nods and injokes regarding 0-6.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Stranger of Sword City is a fantastic turn-based dungeon crawl.

It's an SRPG, but the original Valkyria Chronicles is still very good too.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
-Digimon Cyber Sleuth: pretty challenging, addicting mon collecting system, interesting story with a lot more maturity to it's writing than you would expect from this kind of game.

-Saga Scarlet Grace: this one blew my mind on how innovative it is as an JRPG, the dialogue is great and the combat is one of the best I've ever played on the genre. Kinda hard to get into at first and the challenge level is high, feels great and rewarding when you achieve progress.

-Slay the Spire: not an JRPG, it's card based and roguelike but don't let those aspects hold you back from experiencing one of the best and most well crafted turn based combat around. Warning: highly addictive!

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I can only recommend Trails, DQXI and Digimon Cyber Sleuth from PS4 era.

Really didnt like or care for many other turnbased games from this gen.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume non-exclusives are good, given what you listed.

The Alliance Alive got ported and it's honestly really good. It improves upon a LOT of issues that Legend of Legacy had (which, despite my issues, I do hope gets ported at some point). I need to finish it, but it's been an enjoyable experience. Cutscenes a little odd (especially given timing matches how spoken dialogue would work), but I suspect due to budget/money restraints, they opted against voicing them in the end. But if you can get past that, it's an enjoyable experience. Just remember it absolutely was originally a smaller budgeted 3DS title and it's roots do show.

I'll also forward my suggestions for Blue Dragon (more-so gameplay than I'd argue story) and Lost Odyssey as well. They're available for Backward compatibility, so if you wanna buy the physical (probably more difficult nowadays) or just get the digital download, that option is on the table.

The SaGa games are also great (though absolutely aren't for everyone) and Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 enhanced remakes/conversions (they're a very faithful and close 1:1 to the original engine, including fixing issues) are probably the best versions you can play. SaGa Scarlet Grace is also great, which is out as well. That said, they definitely have some obtuse things about them, so definitely don't feel bad reaching out for help.

This one is a little stretch of the turn-based definition a little, but Digimon World: Next 0rder is also a good recommendation, though heavily relies on it's Tamagotchi roots a bit for certain raising aspects of Digimon. So definitely wanna pre-warn about that. There's also Cyber Sleuth games, which I can also recommend.

EDIT: Oh, if Tactical or Strategy RPGs are allowed, since they're turned based, I'd recommend digging into Disgaea with what's been released on PS4.

Double Edit:

Oh, and this is very important...

DON'T LET ANYONE CON YOU INTO PLAYING ANY COMPILE HEART RPGS.

Honestly... There is absolutely some stuff (largely their older stuff) that's completely fine, but definitely have some caution on a lot of their newer stuff. I can't stress that enough.

Last edited:

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I'm really eager to see any noteworthy Xbox answers. Is lost odyssey bc? If so...that one.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Lost Odyssey. Still the best JRPG ever made imo. Great gameplay and a fantastic story that you have to have a heart made of pure steel to not at least get teary eyed. Still my favorite game from the 360 era.

And here's one I don't see mentioned very often... Eternal Sonata. I'm not sure if that one is BC or not one, but if it is, definitely check that one out as well.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, that's the canon style. I think the other could be their house artist and they just wanted to give their long time fans another option.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Seconding SaGa Scarlet Graces. The game is pretty tough, even on the "easiest" difficulty but its very cool and so far it seems like player choice can affect a lot.