• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Probably not right wing, but certainly far right.

Far right politics are born from toxic nationalism. Kill off nationalism and you kill off far right politics.

No, it won't. Because then it'll become the "Christian" USE vs everyone else.

And shit we still haven't fixed many of the ethnic conflicts plaguing our own continent, just look at the Balkans.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No, it won't. Because then it'll become the "Christian" USE vs everyone else.

And shit we still haven't fixed many of the ethnic conflicts plaguing our own continent, just look at the Balkans.

Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but as far as I see, the EU is heading towards a unified federal state and this would end toxic nationalism.

To tackle the problems facing the world and Europe in the 21st century, the EU had to unify into one federal state. The wheels are already in motion. Check out groups like Volt Europe and the UEF who are campaigning for a federal EU. Even Guy Verhofstadt wants to see a USE.

Granted, this will not happen over night and the citizens of member states need to be further convinced. However, I do firmly believe that in the future there will be no EU member states and we'll all live in regions of the USE and be united as European citizens.

This would also address the current migrant and refugee influx problem. At the moment not all nations are willing to take their fair share. With a USE that would not be an issue. We could take as many migrants and refugees without limit and distribute them evenly around the USE.

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand this will be an issue that needs to be handled properly by the EU with high urgency.

But Erdogan now threw away the only card he had left and he's a piece of shit, so there's no longer any need to pretend to be friends with him.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but as far as I see, the EU is heading towards a unified federal state and this would end toxic nationalism.

To tackle the problems facing the world and Europe in the 21st century, the EU had to unify into one federal state. The wheels are already in motion. Check out groups like Volt Europe and the UEF who are campaigning for a federal EU. Even Guy Verhofstadt wants to see a USE.

Granted, this will not happen over night and the citizens of member states need to be further convinced. However, I do firmly believe that in the future there will be no EU member states and we'll all live in regions of the USE and be united as European citizens.

This would also address the current migrant and refugee influx problem. At the moment not all nations are willing to take their fair share. With a USE that would not be an issue. We could take as many migrants and refugees without limit and distribute them evenly around the USE.

I feel this is a misunderstanding of the underlying issue. I would happily vote for every integrationist party in the EU and I fundamentally believe USE is the only way we'll survive in a multipolar world but the reason we're not letting them in is rooted in ethnocentrism, not nationalism.

Oct 26, 2017
"EU needs to do accomodate this" and "EU needs to do accomodate that" will inevitably lead to a rise of anti-immigration right-wing parties in EU governments, leading to even worse situations for said refugees. I'm still not quite sure what the proper solution is.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

The nationalism problems don't disapear just because nation states get absorbed into a bigger entity.

Look at any bigger multiethnic state and you'll see that just being "united" on paper solves nothing. China, India, Russia and many others still have plenty of strong violence among different ethnic groups, even when these groups are native to the place.

A UE federation forcibly settling people in places with overwhelming local resistance against it is a recipe for disaster. You can't skip the part of convicing a significant part of the population that this is the right thing to do.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
It should be a membership requirement that if you join the EU, you must without question take in so migrants and refugees.
Can we stop saying flood when talking about humans please?
I'm sorry, but governments can absolutely legislate (and with good reason) against people that are trying to enter the country without proper authorization. Nobody has the right to force anyone to take in people.
According to the European Court of Human Rights, you are entitled to legal coverage only when entering a country with legal means through legal channels, otherwise you are entitled to jack shit.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I have a simple solution to the refugee crisis - stop giving people reasons to leave their own countries, that means making those countries pleasant places to live: so no wars, no bad governments and so on.

There, easy.

You can thank me later. :)

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I haven't seen a single German news outlet talk about this.

Edit: OK seems like this morning some started reporting about it.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
people have migrated since the beginning of people. arbitrary borders can't stop it. not talking about some hippy "no more borders ManNn" stuff either. What I'm saying is, instead of thinking about how we can punish immigrants and prevent them from entering our countries, we should work together to address the issues that cause mass migration.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If this actually happens, it'll be one of the few good things Erdogan has done recently. I don't give a fuck about monetary deals that were made, if you fucking bomb a country, killing countless of human beings, and force millions of people to escape their homes, you have to deal with the fallout. You can't buy off your guilt like the EU has done, instead distribute the refugees equally based on how many bombs a country has dropped on them. He who has passed the sentence should swing the sword.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
To be fair. Turkey has been asking eu and others to share the burden for a minute.

Even the USA took in a handful considering they're directly responsible.

This was inevitable if you just ignore the American war machine. Yay everyone made money. Now about those millions of people displaced...?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If this actually happens, it'll be one of the few good things Erdogan has done recently. I don't give a fuck about monetary deals that were made, if you fucking bomb a country, killing countless of human beings, and force millions of people to escape their homes, you have to deal with the fallout. You can't buy off your guilt like the EU has done, instead distribute the refugees equally based on how many bombs a country has dropped on them. He who has passed the sentence should swing the sword.
Yes, I'm sure the people on the move are absolutely desperate to get into Russia for example.

Oct 25, 2017
China

Turkey is one of the main instigators in the region along with Saudi Arabia, Israel, US along with Iran and Russia...

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I'm sure the people on the move are absolutely desperate to get into Russia for example.

Yeah, they'd rather get into Russia than a place where bombs drop every hour. Weird, isn't it?

Seeing as how Russia, the US, and the EU are the biggest culprits of this fuckfest, either all responsible countries share in the burden they've created in relation to their involvement, or (which is what this thread is about) Turkey should just let every single refugee through.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is where we get a true preview of our racist, eco-fascist future in Europe. The EU is going to build a big beautiful wall, or break apart and everyone will build lots of little walls. We aren't ready to handle this rhetorically. The right have an absolute monopoly on this topic, they are the ones who will reap all the political capital from the resulting impact of this. I have zero faith that the people of Europe, and the economic system we live under will make the appropriate adjustments to accommodate a mass of refugees such as this. I can see us having mass camps (such as the one at Calais) become completely common place, highly militarized borders and "unfortunate" deaths of people trying to cross illegally (ie, getting gunned down from the guard tower).

Oct 27, 2017
This is where we get a true preview of our racist, eco-fascist future in Europe. The EU is going to build a big beautiful wall, or break apart and everyone will build lots of little walls. We aren't ready to handle this rhetorically. The right have an absolute monopoly on this topic, they are the ones who will reap all the political capital from the resulting impact of this. I have zero faith that the people of Europe, and the economic system we live under will make the appropriate adjustments to accommodate a mass of refugees such as this. I can see us having mass camps (such as the one at Calais) become completely common place, highly militarized borders and "unfortunate" deaths of people trying to cross illegally (ie, getting gunned down from the guard tower).
Totally possible, it wasn't even 30 years ago that this was the reality

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Yeah, they'd rather get into Russia than a place where bombs drop every hour. Weird, isn't it?

Seeing as how Russia, the US, and the EU are the biggest culprits of this fuckfest, either all responsible countries share in the burden they've created in relation to their involvement, or (which is what this thread is about) Turkey should just let every single refugee through.
The first option is just pure fantasy. The second one just results in mostly countries that have shitall to do with this mess having to deal with it. They are already paying huge sums of money to Turkey cause if Turkey didn't host them then the whole EU will be in shambles before long.

All this shit will result in is what the poster above is saying. The outer borders of EU will be walled up and the right wing will reap all the rewards if Turkey will not handle this.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The EU is breaking apart if anything.

Do you have a source to back this claim up? That's something I'd expect to read in the Mail.

I'm sorry, but governments can absolutely legislate (and with good reason) against people that are trying to enter the country without proper authorization. Nobody has the right to force anyone to take in people.
According to the European Court of Human Rights, you are entitled to legal coverage only when entering a country with legal means through legal channels, otherwise you are entitled to jack shit.

Now I'm confused. Last year the EUJ ruled that Poland, Hungary and Czech Republic broke EU law by refusing to take in their share of migrants.

The matter ended up in court with the Advocate General ā€” which advises the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ā€” saying on Thursday that EU law must be followed as well as the bloc's principle of solidarity "necessarily sometimes implies accepting burden-sharing."

Though not obliged to, the ECJ often follows the Advocate General's opinions.

A ruling in the case will take place early next year. The court could fine member countries that violate the law.

www.euronews.com

Poland, Hungary, and Czech Republic broke EU law by denying migrants

Poland, Hungary, and Czech Republic were accused of breaking EU law by refusing to take in migrants during 2015 crisis.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

This is just the start as well. As climate change continues to worsen and we see more regions destabilize this amount of refugees may look small in retrospect. The world isn't ready to handle that not just the EU.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is just the start as well. As climate change continues to worsen and we see more regions destabilize this amount of refugees may look small in retrospect. The world isn't ready to handle that not just the EU.

Absolutely. I believe the EU will be in a unique position as the amount of land that will become completely unhabitable or extremely difficult to subsist on is much lower than say, Bangladesh, India, or sub-Saharan Africa. Ireland and the UK for example, while it might flood slightly more, will actually have a "better" (warmer, but wetter) climate that will make it an even more attractive place to both live and produce food in. So it makes the wall/borders/guard towers all that more sharp an image - we get to select exactly who survives.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
Seems like it started.
Reports on Greek media say that one of the two border checkpoints between Greece and Turkey closed due to large groups of refugees trying to cross over.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
It would be swell if the country that has destabilized the whole region takes it responsibility and take care of the refugees. Too bad it's on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean and lead by an fascist orange man-child.

They still protect the oil wells don't worry.

This is great news for Putin.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like it started.
Reports on Greek media say that one of the two border checkpoints between Greece and Turkey closed due to large groups of refugees trying to cross over.
Further reports also said bulgaria is pulling forces around the turkish border and closing it.

Also there are reports in german media that greece is moving warships to the greek isles to secure the EUs borders.

The EU learned a lot from 2015 and it's hard to see them losing control like 2015 again.

Frontex and member states are prepared this time.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no issues with taking refugees. And compared to dealing with someone like Erdogan, I would be happy with way more things.

Oct 25, 2017
Further reports also said bulgaria is pulling forces around the turkish border and closing it.

Also there are reports in german media that greece is moving warships to the greek isles to secure the EUs borders.

The EU learned a lot from 2015 and it's hard to see them losing control like 2015 again.

Frontex and member states are prepared this time.
They will likely seal the land border effectively like they did in 2015 but the sea border will be a different story.
There are so many boats you can detect and safely force to turn around.

Feb 5, 2020
Turkey is doing this just in time for election season here in the US...coincidence I'm sure. Am I going to have to listen to all my redneck coworkers talk about the horrible "Muslim invasion" for the next 8 months and how it's imperative we elect Trump again?

Oct 28, 2017
I'm talking about the word "flood" you're not talking about vermin or calamity.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The ad I got on this page is so telling

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
User banned (permanent): xenophobic rhetoric, prior severe infractions
This situation is horrible and seriously conflicting. On one hand asylum seekers should seek refuge and do need help, but on the other hand a lot of the migrants are not from Syria or are from previously war torn countries and getting a free ride. Again I understand what a lot of em are seeking, but it can't continue. Crime Rate in my city has exploded exponentially and continues to rise elsewhere, a lot of em are peddling drugs and thieving left and right while turning entire neighborhoods into personal ghettos. The greek islands have little to no salvation with the migrant population outpacing the greek population almost 2 to 1 in several extreme cases. Beyond that the government is using the Corona virus to cover the fact that they are seizing land for hospice centers and sending the police in to strong arm the populace to convince them to accept said seizures. The eu should help, but the system is 100% abused and people are coming in droves because of how well they are being treated, and it just isn't right.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Fortress Europe coming faster than we think.

I'd advise people in third world countries to immigrate as soon as possible. Climate change and the refugee crisis will limit opportunities to leave to a better place sooner rather than later.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The ad I got on this page is so telling
What's most awful about this is that undocumented immigrants don't have access to any services since they became available. But this add implies that they are somehow eligible to drive their racist supports to rage about something that doesn't happen to begin with.

I have several friends who had to get benefits because they lost their jobs and the process is not easy at all. They demand significant amount of paperwork that an undocumented individual would never has access to.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What's most awful about this is that undocumented immigrants don't have access to any services since they became available. But this add implies that they are somehow eligible to drive their racist supports to rage about something that doesn't happen to begin with.

I have several friends who had to get benefits because they lost their jobs and the process is not easy at all. They demand significant amount of paperwork that an undocumented individual would never has access to.
Undocumented immigrants are a fucking boon to the economy.
They cost nothing in term of social services because they get deported once the authorities get their hands on them.
They pay taxes (at the very least VAT like everyone else) and take jobs that documented immigrants or nationals wouldn't take even if you paid them a lot more.
The rest of the population is basically mooching off them and blaming them for no reason.
It's a racist talking point that never made any sense even in goddamn France where we're curing people for free if they can't support themselves.
I can't tell you how much this angers me or I would probably get banned.

Oct 26, 2017
Well this is gonna be a disaster

I have a simple solution to the refugee crisis - stop giving people reasons to leave their own countries, that means making those countries pleasant places to live: so no wars, no bad governments and so on.

There, easy.

You can thank me later. :)
Bro thats genius you should run for president of like the earth or something

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Looks like it's confirmed by Turkey now. Reading Swedish Public Service so no use linking here. People gathering at borders to cross, police gathering on the other side to keep them from crossing illegally.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Looks like it's confirmed by Turkey now. Reading Swedish Public Service so no use linking here. People gathering at borders to cross, police gathering on the other side to keep them from crossing illegally.
Erdogan opened the floodgates and its a shit storm at our borders, I can confirm this. We're not talking about small waves either, they're gathering in the 1000s and our Government is handling it in the only way they can, which is as you said sending police to the borders. This is on top of a huge movement of troops as well. I said it above I understand that asylum seekers need help, but at this point its not just them trying to get in and the situation is fucked.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally EU can stop pretending to be friends with the asshole Erdogan and Turkey.

I guess it's a bit much to hope for that anyone expected this and is ready to take care of all the people though.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Erdogan opened the floodgates and its a shit storm at our borders, I can confirm this. We're not talking about small waves either, they're gathering in the 1000s and our Government is handling it in the only way they can, which is as you said sending police to the borders. This is on top of a huge movement of troops as well. I said it above I understand that asylum seekers need help, but at this point its not just them trying to get in and the situation is fucked.

This is all part of that caliphate plan too I'd imagine. Some how I want to also blame Putin. But this is all the usas fault. Blew up a country that had nothing to do with anything without a plan. Pretty much created this crisis, did nothing but provoke and profit off a war. Rather than trying to provide a better quality of life. Agreed to by the populations. Or leave and let them do it without any meddling.

They're going to have to use lethal force to stop this. Hopefully on orderly plan can be put into action to vet people. And do the right thing. Seems like this is an emergency worth taking care of.

A large problem is that a lot of women and children are part of extremists groups. Mainly due to watching their children or siblings blown up in real time.

It's like civilization is coming to a great crescendo.

Last edited: