• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did the stupid arena, just had to use some items

Back in the world now and not quite sure what to do with my new power

Found a few more pages though

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having problems with two remaining fairy puzzles, I have completed 18/20, both are in the Eastern forest area.

for the one topside, I don't know if it's related to the floor or the flowers near the chest. It seems it's the floor judging by where the fairies gather, but there's not a clear pattern. Maybe it's another thing.

The one in the lower area is a bit crap to put together. I have photos of 3 broken pieces but I get the impression there are more, and I can't edit and make them fit with my phone but I think there's more pieces to find and fit and I don't know where else to search. Does anyone have the full image?

Plus, I don't know if this will lead me further for the B ending, or if it isn't related to the golden path at all, but it seemed fun completing until now. I'm gonna look into that golden path thing. I still haven't found many upgrades it seems, still miss the manual cover page (just that one though), and can't find where to keep track of the secret treasures (I've only found 4 or 5 I think / edit: 6 of at least 11... so maybe only half). I guess those aren't related to the ending but who knows at this point.

I must have got lucky with not needing no fail.

Nah I don't find combat too hard in general either, apart from the gauntlet and final boss, which both can be made easier with items. The decoy is particularly effective for example. The gun too with some enemies but costs a lot of magic points. And my stats are not full anyway, 5/5/4/7/3/4.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I'm having problems with two remaining fairy puzzles, I have completed 18/20, both are in the Eastern forest area.

for the one topside, I don't know if it's related to the floor or the flowers near the chest. It seems it's the floor judging by where the fairies gather, but there's not a clear pattern. Maybe it's another thing.

The one in the lower area is a bit crap to put together. I have photos of 3 broken pieces but I get the impression there are more, and I can't edit and make them fit with my phone but I think there's more pieces to find and fit and I don't know where else to search. Does anyone have the full image?

Plus, I don't know if this will lead me further for the B ending, or if it isn't related to the golden path at all, but it seemed fun completing until now. I'm gonna look into that golden path thing. I still haven't found many upgrades it seems, still miss the manual cover page (just that one though), and can't find where to keep track of the secret treasures (I've only found 4 or 5 I think / edit: 6 of at least 11... so maybe only half). I guess those aren't related to the ending but who knows at this point.

My memory is a bit hazy at this point, but I'd guess flowers if there are... obvious flowers.

For the broken Golden obelisk, I reconstructed it in paint and wish I'd kept the picture :D Fortunately, the internet, so if you don't wanna go through the trouble: https://i.gyazo.com/bdc6567e18dd70fb17a7a956391e20ba.png

The secret treasures are separate, as you surmised. You're on the right Path.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

The clue for this one is only found at night/in the spirit world

There are 5 pieces scattered around the world. Locations: The base in the forest, obviously. Two near the beach in the main overworld, one by the west garden, and one in the swamp

Ending B condition spoilers: you don't need to find 100% of the fairies or the secret treasures. You do need to figure out the golden path puzzle, and it sounds like you have everything you need to solve it.

I believe 5/5/4/7/3/4 are the final stats you can reach before NG+. At least that's what I ended up with after scouring the heck out of the world

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
It seems I actually finished the game!

Spoilers!

I knew already what the golden path was for, thanks to the pages, but I didn't know the mountain door would hold the final page and that it would be enough to complete the manual and go back to the heir to get the real ending. Nice touch that the A "ending" just gives you a GAME OVER screen while the B one gives you the actual THE END.

The golden path is a bit fucked up though. I made my own image after going through all the pages and after trying it out on the door and seeing it didn't work, I looked online for another image and looked at the differences. I had most of it right except a couple pages that gave me doubts (4, 2 and was missing the broken line on 52) but what was the biggest doubt and I still don't understand is page 9. Where the fuck is that pattern in page 9? I was thinking the question marks where the clue but I didn't know how that translated to the actual "path". After some time looking at it I didn't give a fuck about looking that and my possible mistakes online.

Other things though, I didn't find the hidden treasure room (I hope the fairies take me there tomorrow) and I don't know what for the 999 time created save game is for. I loaded that up thinking the golden path was an actual path to walk in that save but then I realized the path is just another holy cross input for the mountain door... Because it's in the page next to that drawing. So what's up with that save game?

And I'm happy having found most of the fairies and 6 hidden treasures without help (I guess those are less than half judging from the unlocked achievements number but still).

My memory is a bit hazy at this point, but I'd guess flowers if there are... obvious flowers.

For the broken Golden obelisk, I reconstructed it in paint and wish I'd kept the picture :D Fortunately, the internet, so if you don't wanna go through the trouble: https://i.gyazo.com/bdc6567e18dd70fb17a7a956391e20ba.png

The secret treasures are separate, as you surmised. You're on the right Path.

Oh my, that image is a mess. Yeah I was missing photos of a couple parts but I guess I'll look for a more concrete answer if only to see what happens with 20/20. Thanks a lot anyway of course!

The clue for this one is only found at night/in the spirit world

There are 5 pieces scattered around the world. Locations: The base in the forest, obviously. Two near the beach in the main overworld, one by the west garden, and one in the swamp

Ending B condition spoilers: you don't need to find 100% of the fairies or the secret treasures. You do need to figure out the golden path puzzle, and it sounds like you have everything you need to solve it.

I believe 5/5/4/7/3/4 are the final stats you can reach before NG+. At least that's what I ended up with after scouring the heck out of the world

Oh nice, then I'm happy with those stats. I know I've left things unfound, and had to get a bit internet help for the B ending (explained in previous spoiler) but I guess I did pretty ok on my own all things considered. Once in a while, a game like this or The Witness is my jam. This one came hidden inside a Zelda like lol but it's all the better for everything it does, it would not be the same as a plain Zelda clone of course.

Tomorrow I'll look for that other clue, I figured that could be the issue actually but didn't want to spend more time like that. It's almost 3 am now so I'm going for a nice sleep with a cleared game smile on my face. :)

Thank you!

___

Loved the game overall and particularly figuring out some of the weirder puzzles on my own, just realising what to do was fun and satisfactory, even if some of the solutions required a bit of a chore to get to. For only one I had to finally take up paper and pen. The rest I could manage with mobile photo to TV, sending to myself on whatsapp and editing it by painting over with my fingers LOL.

brink22

Feb 22, 2018
Finished the game tonight. I really wanted to love this game but it just never got there for me. I thought the second half was a slog. I never really got accustomed to the combat. It just felt off. I wish there was more variety in the weapons and upgrades you could get. Other than the late game traversal ability, I wasn't impressed.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It seems I actually finished the game!

Spoilers!

The golden path is a bit fucked up though.

what was the biggest doubt and I still don't understand is page 9. Where the fuck is that pattern in page 9?

I don't know what for the 999 time created save game is for.

I loaded that up thinking the golden path was an actual path to walk in that save but then I realized the path is just another holy cross input for the mountain door

So what's up with that save game?

Hopefully the above pieces it together, but if not:

Page 9 tells you how to create that save game, by Cancelling out of a menu on the Save / Load screen.

The path you walk in that save is the piece of the path for page 9.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the above pieces it together, but if not:

Page 9 tells you how to create that save game, by Cancelling out of a menu on the Save / Load screen.

The path you walk in that save is the piece of the path for page 9.

Shit. Yeah that made it clear, I was already embarrassed as I read my quote on your post :). Now I'm ashamed of looking that up, but yeah, now that you mention it the manual is indeed clear enough. Well, it was late I guess!

I don't get that first part of your spoiler though, if the manual is supposed to explain that procedure, but I'll look at it this evening as I say goodbye to the game. That thing happened seemingly randomly to me, I don't even know when.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Shit. Yeah that made it clear, I was already embarrassed as I read my quote on your post :). Now I'm ashamed of looking that up, but yeah, now that you mention it the manual is indeed clear enough. Well, it was late I guess!

I don't get that first part of your spoiler though, if the manual is supposed to explain that procedure, but I'll look at it this evening as I say goodbye to the game. That thing happened seemingly randomly to me, I don't even know when.

No need for embarrassment. I think I spent a half hour in that corridor when I first found it way before I knew what the Holy Cross was or did trying to work out what it was for, so it's pretty etched in my memory :D

It's pretty easy to do just randomly to be honest, but there's a UI flow specified on that page which forces it.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
No need for embarrassment. I think I spent a half hour in that corridor when I first found it way before I knew what the Holy Cross was or did trying to work out what it was for, so it's pretty etched in my memory :D

It's pretty easy to do just randomly to be honest, but there's a UI flow specified on that page which forces it.

Indeed. It's just that now, looking back and remembering that page it looks obvious. But yeah I think had it been less late at night and with more time I'd have put those things together myself, maybe. But I had already put more than 25h in the game, playing it like a Zelda first, like a Witness later, chasing fairies, finding optional stuff and hidden spells, I'm fine with moving on. I'll play a bit more later though and then uninstall and keep it in my memory as one of the great indies of forever. I liked it that much.

Thanks for all the tips!

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Quick question, I've just been killed and become a ghost (I guess?) and am in the Cathedral. Am I supposed to be doing this combat gauntlet/arena thing now, with all my stats reset to 0? To get here I had to basically just sprint through an area full of invisible enemies that chase you and are seemingly impossible to hit, so this definitely feels like an area I'm not supposed to be in yet, but I can't see anywhere else I can go

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, I've just been killed and become a ghost (I guess?) and am in the Cathedral. Am I supposed to be doing this combat gauntlet/arena thing now, with all my stats reset to 0? To get here I had to basically just sprint through an area full of invisible enemies that chase you and are seemingly impossible to hit, so this definitely feels like an area I'm not supposed to be in yet, but I can't see anywhere else I can go
Yes.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have a few questions about the endings

I've managed to get 5/6 of my powers back, but found the Heir fight in the warp area (I died) but does this end the game? I take it that's the bad ending?

I found a page that talks about the endings and about following the golden path but I'm not sure what it means. I used the Holy Cross on the giant Gold tome but nothing happens

I'm gonna try and get my ATT back first but just wondering if I need to beat the Heir after that or if the golden cross stuff is worthwhile

Are there just 2 endings?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I have a few questions about the endings

I've managed to get 5/6 of my powers back, but found the Heir fight in the warp area (I died) but does this end the game? I take it that's the bad ending?

I found a page that talks about the endings and about following the golden path but I'm not sure what it means. I used the Holy Cross on the giant Gold tome but nothing happens

I'm gonna try and get my ATT back first but just wondering if I need to beat the Heir after that or if the golden cross stuff is worthwhile

Are there just 2 endings?

Yeah, that would be the "bad" ending. In fact, the game hints it's not an ending at all... it is a glorified game over screen.

The golden path can get complicated but it's much simpler in concept than it looks. Just ask again here about that if you don't see anything else, after getting ATT back and the other ending.

ATT was the last one I recovered too, if you want a hint or two, open the second spoiler tag.

There's only 2 endings that I know of, yes. That said, you can get ending A (fighting the heir) and then ending B, but not first B and then A at the moment, without starting over. So you may be interested in getting ATT back, fighting the heir if you want to see it and/or the achievement you'd get, and then worry about the golden path.

- You are NOT stuck in ghost mode / night world state.
- Your new power can get you there if you know your way around things and places (which you know based on your comment).

Apr 5, 2022
The soundtrack is incredible! It has sold me on this game. After I beat Elden Ring I'm going to check this game out. Is it particularly difficult?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The soundtrack is incredible! It has sold me on this game. After I beat Elden Ring I'm going to check this game out. Is it particularly difficult?

Yes and no.

Some people find the combat tricky, but I always found spamming consumables could trivialise most encounters. If it ever just gets too much there's a no fail mode to fall back on.

The puzzles and secrets... now here's some difficulty you can't spam your way through. No shame in asking for hints and tips, collaborative puzzle solving is still puzzle solving.

Apr 5, 2022
Yes and no.

Some people find the combat tricky, but I always found spamming consumables could trivialise most encounters. If it ever just gets too much there's a no fail mode to fall back on.

The puzzles and secrets... now here's some difficulty you can't spam your way through. No shame in asking for hints and tips, collaborative puzzle solving is still puzzle solving.
Thanks for the tips!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, that would be the "bad" ending. In fact, the game hints it's not an ending at all... it is a glorified game over screen.

The golden path can get complicated but it's much simpler in concept than it looks. Just ask again here about that if you don't see anything else, after getting ATT back and the other ending.

ATT was the last one I recovered too, if you want a hint or two, open the second spoiler tag.

There's only 2 endings that I know of, yes. That said, you can get ending A (fighting the heir) and then ending B, but not first B and then A at the moment, without starting over. So you may be interested in getting ATT back, fighting the heir if you want to see it and/or the achievement you'd get, and then worry about the golden path.

- You are NOT stuck in ghost mode / night world state.
- Your new power can get you there if you know your way around things and places (which you know based on your comment).

Thanks this was a huge help!

One more ending question

How do you get the B ending? I'm gonna do the boss to get the A ending but I have 2 fairies now and a few items that appear in the area that stores the 12 items. Do I need all of them for the B ending?

BiggKidd32

Oct 26, 2017

One more ending question

How do you get the B ending? I'm gonna do the boss to get the A ending but I have 2 fairies now and a few items that appear in the area that stores the 12 items. Do I need all of them for the B ending?

You only need 10 out of the 20 fairies. The 12 collectibles are not required at all.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it particularly difficult?
If you're playing the game with the default settings, it has a Dark Souls-esque stamina management which complicates gameplay nicely. If you disable Stamina in the accessibility options, the game goes from being a cute indie isometric Dark Souls to being a cute indie isometric Zelda with Z-Targeting (With a minor Dark Souls-esque death penalty) because without stamina management, you can hide behind the shield for everything but floor-AOE or magic piercing attacks, spam rolls and swing your sword even more recklessly than you would otherwise.

I ended up jumping over to the no-stamina mode after the second real boss, and I still had a very satisfying time playing the game like it was a lost Zelda game.

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing Elden Ring and now moving onto Tunic, I was not expecting more Souls like mechanics. Lol. Defeated the 1st boss (which was quite challenging) and it was pure Souls. When I played the demo for this game, I thought it was a fine game, nothing special. But the finished game is something else - it screams quality and I can already tell this will be an absolute gem of a game. The instruction manual mechanics is so wonderfully charming. The graphics, while simplistic, are absolutely beautiful. Has anyone commented on the lighting and shadows in the game? They really add a lot to the game.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody tell me exactly what/where but, I'm assuming I need something so I can make it through the Dark Tomb and ring the Western Bell?

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any news on merch for this game? I'd love to have a nice copy of the in-game manual (a fox plush wouldn't hurt either)!

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Loving this game, trying to get 100% but the puzzles are really hard at the end;

Got 12 fairies and finding it pretty hard to get the rest... it really fells like FEZ, so I'm curious if the puzzles get to FEZ level of difficulty, like having to learn how to read weird in game alphabet or looking for things outside of the game

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's certainly more difficult than I expected. That the designers give a no-fail mode which doesn't disable achievements says something about that imo. I think the game would be better if regular enemies did a bit less damage, and/or health potions provided a bit more health. I recently went through the Quarry, where a screen filter gets applied which makes it near impossible to see grenades thrown at you some times, and you die in that area in one hit. That was not fun.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

One more ending question

Glad it helped. In my experience:

Fairies and hidden treasures shouldn't be mandatory... at least not directly, but I think I'm maybe misremembering a detail. Don't read the spoiler in my next quote for now if you want to figure it out on our own.

You should be thinking of another thing, though. There are other misteries and they are referenced in several places/ways (the golden path thing, what it is, where does it happen).
Hidden treasures are optional completionist puzzles/collectibles that lead to a final puzzle that I didn't engage with, I only got 7 out of 12 treasures and none are needed for ending B.

Finding the fairies is generally fun though.

You only need 10 out of the 20 fairies.

This confuses me, is this because after finding 10 fairies you can get a manual page on the secret gathering place?
I don't remember but I guess that is the case.

Loving this game, trying to get 100% but the puzzles are really hard at the end;

Got 12 fairies and finding it pretty hard to get the rest... it really fells like FEZ, so I'm curious if the puzzles get to FEZ level of difficulty, like having to learn how to read weird in game alphabet or looking for things outside of the game

I didn't dechipher the language and I was told here that it only serves for understanding some easter egg at the end, apart from understanding all pages and some dialogues of course.

All you need for the fairies is inside the game also (and I think for every puzzle in the game except for the ultimate mistery related to the hidden treasures).

I got 18 fairies on my own, 19 after a very slight clue and 20 after looking up one chore of a solution that I refused to gather for myself. I could have got all 20 by myself and, if I could, anyone can. They are not that hard once you learn all the possible puzzle patterns, although there are some that are special in some way, but ultimately they all are solved via the holy cross so you just have to find their pattern in some or other way. It's been a long time since Fez but I think this part is less complicated. It also helps to know where to look for them puzzles (with what tool, and where to start) and finding them fast so you can focus on each one's gimmick, of those who have one. The ones that do not are very easy once you have done a couple before.

Last edited:

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
Is someone able to explain how consumables work?

I had tested using a bomb and then dying, and when I respawned the bomb count was the original count. But I just tried a boss and spammed all my bomb, and when respawned I only had some of my original count? Like maybe a third?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Is someone able to explain how consumables work?

I had tested using a bomb and then dying, and when I respawned the bomb count was the original count. But I just tried a boss and spammed all my bomb, and when respawned I only had some of my original count? Like maybe a third?
Consumables used are gone even after you die, which can make failed attempts at bosses a bit extra frustrating.

However, if you check your inventory, do you have a little circle with a number above the item?
You can flip through the manual to get an idea why this is, or: As you use items, you gain permanent "free" extra items that are refilled on respawn (maybe at shrines?), and these are used up first before your actual stash is used.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
Consumables used are gone even after you die, which can make failed attempts at bosses a bit extra frustrating.

However, if you check your inventory, do you have a little circle with a number above the item?
You can flip through the manual to get an idea why this is, or: As you use items, you gain permanent "free" extra items that are refilled on respawn (maybe at shrines?), and these are used up first before your actual stash is used.

Ah thanks for that. I must have misread the amount on the bombs and got them confused with the little circle with the number on. Man... that makes boss runs an extra headache...

I guess I need to spend a few rounds with a boss to really get a feel for things and be extra confident in taking them out.

Chev

Mar 1, 2021

It's structured just like Fez, in that deciphering the language is actually only used for an extra complex easter egg puzzle that doesn't matter for the endings, which was also the case for Fez

Last edited:

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Cool game.
Trying to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this has been discussed numerous times.
I just recovered my body and visited all graves, but what now?
I guess there's the boss in the middle teleporter but they seem a little tough for now.
Not sure where else I can go though. I'm sure I'm still missing plenty of items and more, but everything seems closed off and I've been running in circles.
There's also still the big golden statue I suppose, but I tried all the arrow combinations so no idea what to do with that. And the tips/language in the manual are a little too vague.
Anyone got any tips without spoiling too much? Do I just have to kill the boss? Thanks!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cool game.
Trying to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this has been discussed numerous times.
I just recovered my body and visited all graves, but what now?
I guess there's the boss in the middle teleporter but they seem a little tough for now.
Not sure where else I can go though. I'm sure I'm still missing plenty of items and more, but everything seems closed off and I've been running in circles.
There's also still the big golden statue I suppose, but I tried all the arrow combinations so no idea what to do with that. And the tips/language in the manual are a little too vague.
Anyone got any tips without spoiling too much? Do I just have to kill the boss? Thanks!

If you fight the boss now you get the A ending, the B ending requires you to explore a little more

If you know what the holy cross is and find it's not working on all the doors with a pattern on them, have a look at the doors it's not working on really carefully

It's also possible to get the A ending and then the B ending, but if you get the B ending you can't go back and get A without starting a new game

Apr 5, 2022
If you're playing the game with the default settings, it has a Dark Souls-esque stamina management which complicates gameplay nicely. If you disable Stamina in the accessibility options, the game goes from being a cute indie isometric Dark Souls to being a cute indie isometric Zelda with Z-Targeting (With a minor Dark Souls-esque death penalty) because without stamina management, you can hide behind the shield for everything but floor-AOE or magic piercing attacks, spam rolls and swing your sword even more recklessly than you would otherwise.

I ended up jumping over to the no-stamina mode after the second real boss, and I still had a very satisfying time playing the game like it was a lost Zelda game.
It's certainly more difficult than I expected. That the designers give a no-fail mode which doesn't disable achievements says something about that imo. I think the game would be better if regular enemies did a bit less damage, and/or health potions provided a bit more health. I recently went through the Quarry, where a screen filter gets applied which makes it near impossible to see grenades thrown at you some times, and you die in that area in one hit. That was not fun.
Thank you for the impressions!

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
If you fight the boss now you get the A ending, the B ending requires you to explore a little more

If you know what the holy cross is and find it's not working on all the doors with a pattern on them, have a look at the doors it's not working on really carefully

It's also possible to get the A ending and then the B ending, but if you get the B ending you can't go back and get A without starting a new game
Thanks for the reply!
I see, so it's the final boss already huh? I still seem a little too weak though.
I have to say the final part of the game excited me a lot less than the earlier parts.
I figured out that the holy cross combination can be mirrored or reversed, though I've only found one door so far where I needed to do that. None of the combinations worked on the golden statue though.
Is there any way to get more gold? I still have some items to buy, but without any enemies that seems undoable.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks for the reply!
I see, so it's the final boss already huh? I still seem a little too weak though.
I have to say the final part of the game excited me a lot less than the earlier parts.
I figured out that the holy cross combination can be mirrored or reversed, though I've only found one door so far where I needed to do that. None of the combinations worked on the golden statue though.
Is there any way to get more gold? I still have some items to buy, but without any enemies that seems undoable.

I think you just get gold from defeating enemies still (there are some around) or finding chests. I'm only a tiny bit further than you. The A ending is seen as the bad ending I think, so I'm trying to get B but I'm not 100% sure what I need to do

If none of the door combinations work, try and look carefully at the door and see if you can work out what you need to do. Think about why the combinations work and then look carefully at the door.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I beat the boss before the West Belltower. It took me a few tries, but I finally learned to be patient and pick my spots.

Also, is anyone here playing on Steam Deck? My framerate really tanked during this fight, so Im looking for more optimal video settings.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Beat this last night, absolutely loved it. It's so great at blowing your mind and making you feel like a genius at the same time

Are there any good YouTube videos on the games design or lore yet?