• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've been following a guide for the last couple areas, not line by line, mostly just making sure I'm in the right "zone" and then I do everything I can in that zone by myself.

One thing I have noticed though is the author really doesn't know their left from right or east from west. Every single mention, they get it wrong.

www.ign.com

The Monastary - Tunic Guide - IGN

This page of IGN's Tunic guide will cover what you need to know about the Monastery, a small area found at the top of the Quarry. In this guide we'll

Like, look at the screenshot with the ladder on the right and then the paragraph below. Suuuper annoying.
Yeah I used that guide for a few things too and things were totally, utterly wrong in many cases. I almost treated it as its own meta puzzle.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out The second thing praying does and now I feel ridiculous lol was there a manual page for this I missed? I figured it out by accident.

Also end(?) of south area spoilers

I'm sure finding the floating library was intentional but it still almost felt like I stumbled on it by accident. Same with the librarian fight. First try I was caught way off guard and felt super unprepared, so when I beat it on my second try and a sliver of hp it felt amazing!

I'm loving this game and it deserves way more attention than what its getting.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I just found out The second thing praying does and now I feel ridiculous lol was there a manual page for this I missed? I figured it out by accident.

No manual page directly explains that, but the teleporter pad right outside of the Siege Engine fight is surrounded by four fox statues kneeling... which was the hint that I needed to try praying on it.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Are some of the story beats explained when you get ending B? I still have about 4-5 thingies to find and the main puzzle to solve... But considering most of it is visually explained, I feel like it's going to be up for interpretation.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game yesterday and enjoyed it (it is beautiful), but i found the gameplay serviceable at best, which is why i probably wont keep playing it to find all the secrets.

I ended the game with...
...3 treasures (hinted at the end of the booklet), 1 fairy (found in the room with the bed) and all booklet pages minus two (which i assume are tied to the golden path thing).
The final boss was super annoying with the autotracking so i cheesed it with the ice knife to stun lock it ad infinitum.
Decided to play a bit more yesterday and credit where credit is due, some of the fairy / souls puzzles are brilliant, and it is the first time in a long time that i use pen and paper to solve a puzzle in a videogame.

I got all of them yesterday (so i got another booklet page + another treasure too).

Now i need to figure it out the golden path thingy for the mountain door.

Last edited:

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
Are some of the story beats explained when you get ending B? I still have about 4-5 thingies to find and the main puzzle to solve... But considering most of it is visually explained, I feel like it's going to be up for interpretation.
Translating the booklet gives you a tiny bit more context, but really nothing you won't infer even without it. Ironically I think ending A gives the most insight into what's going on.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I got to the gauntlet... That's some next level BS. Turned on infinite stamina, it's better but can't beat it yet. I fear the final boss later...

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Translating the booklet gives you a tiny bit more context, but really nothing you won't infer even without it. Ironically I think ending A gives the most insight into what's going on.

Well, that leaves me with more questions than before then!

So, I'm not quite sure what to make of the story. It's clearly very "videogamey/don't ask questions" if this is what I think it is. At the bottom of the Ziggurat, after completing the Cathedral and after beating the heir, you realize you're stuck in an infinite loop which, I guess, stops once you complete ending B. You also learn that the island you're on is manifacturing the foxes (such as you), the power generators, etc. So basically, pretty much everything.

So, like, are the ghosts all different versions of the protag that either died to the heir, or were the heir? And ... who made the machines, the mountain door, the instruction booklet? What is even the purpose of the heir?

Like, I want to find the world fascinating, and maybe one could say the same questions could be asked about our own universe, so I might have to come to terms with the fact that this game world simply exists and isn't meant to be understood

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well, that leaves me with more questions than before then!

So, I'm not quite sure what to make of the story. It's clearly very "videogamey/don't ask questions" if this is what I think it is. At the bottom of the Ziggurat, after completing the Cathedral and after beating the heir, you realize you're stuck in an infinite loop which, I guess, stops once you complete ending B. You also learn that the island you're on is manifacturing the foxes (such as you), the power generators, etc. So basically, pretty much everything.

So, like, are the ghosts all different versions of the protag that either died to the heir, or were the heir? And ... who made the machines, the mountain door, the instruction booklet? What is even the purpose of the heir?

Like, I want to find the world fascinating, and maybe one could say the same questions could be asked about our own universe, so I might have to come to terms with the fact that this game world simply exists and isn't meant to be understood

Story spoilers
What makes you think you're stuck in a loop? It seemed to me you're just one fox of many fox people who have all died yet their spirits remain.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Story spoilers
What makes you think you're stuck in a loop? It seemed to me you're just one fox of many fox people who have all died yet their spirits remain.

I should have been clearer. The world is stuck in a loop, not you (the character) per se. One can only assume that each fox prior to you collected the same things you did and then became the heir to the heir to the... The world simply "resets" for the next foxes, but the foxes themselves remain as spirits it seems. Like, the whole world exists for the loop to happen, down to creating the foxes that go through the ordeal. It's a cool idea, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it considering we don't know why it happens.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I should have been clearer. The world is stuck in a loop, not you (the character) per se. One can only assume that each fox prior to you collected the same things you did and then became the heir to the heir to the... The world simply "resets" for the next foxes, but the foxes themselves remain as spirits it seems. Like, the whole world exists for the loop to happen, down to creating the foxes that go through the ordeal. It's a cool idea, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it considering we don't know why it happens.

I'd suggest reading the fan translated manual: https://imgur.com/a/F7d1Ggv

The game knows it's a game, and knows you're a player.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Completed the game. Had a great time with it. Very happy this game includes No Fail otherwise I would have absolutely no chance, I couldn't dodge for shit.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Broke down to look up stuff. One guide days so and so was the easiest secret, and I can't understand.

I feel like I solved a bunch, but then hit a hard wall.

And how are double taps for puzzles known?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I spend all last night dreaming about this game.

All those little moments where you realize something, are really good.
Figuring out the Holy Cross really got me, it was a good "wow that's what they mean" moment.

This game has that The Witness moment.
When you start to realize everything can be a puzzle.

Last edited:

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the game but I did look up two puzzles
The cube and the mountain because I mistook the quarry for the mountain door in one of the manual pages and thought it was necessary to beat the game hahaha

Great game! Easily my goty so far.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Simplest for me was the mayor. But how are you supposed to know the double tap, is there a hint somewhere?

I guess they trusted the players would figure it out in the Old House when the usual holy cross thing wouldn't work. I tried something there and it worked, but I could see how some players wouldn't try that. I figured the lines meant a break in the sequence.

The one I had to check a guide for was the rotating pattern on the wall. It wasn't clear to me what the pattern was at all. Bombing the wall (I think it was that one) for it wasn't clear at all. I should have expected it considering its Zelda 1 influences, but it went over my head totally for some reason.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Still thinking about the game. I have no idea how people are playing without No Fail.

I don't think I could beat a single boss in this game without No Fail.

The consumables are really powerful.

I think The Librarian is probably the toughest boss because it's hard to hit him with bombs and stuff when he's floating off the edge of the tower.

Simplest for me was the mayor. But how are you supposed to know the double tap, is there a hint somewhere?

I don't believe it's explicitly hinted at anywhere, but between the non-geometric puzzles that have pauses or the puzzles which have multiple indicators in the same direction in a row like the tree or the fountain, and the simpler basic puzzles which incorporate that visual...

It's intuitable.

(Of course I also didn't think how to use the teleporter pads was explained anywhere, but they are totally just in the manual, so maybe I'm wrong)

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
For me, this was one of the easiest bosses. It's interesting to see how differently people can tackle it think about it through a game.

Yeah, other people talk about The Boss of the Scavengers being hard, but I one-shot her because you can really easily stick her in a pattern for guaranteed bomb hits... and I had ~26 of them.

The Librarian took me... several dozen tries before I got him down to an absolute sliver of health before dying. Another dozen and I gave up and turned on No Fail Mode just to be done with him. Only time I had to use it.

Is this a good game if I thought Deaths Door was about a 7/10? Seems like it has that same vibe …overrated.

Tunic is a good game. It's my favourite game of the last two years.

Of course tastes vary. What do you like? What did / didn't you like about Deaths Door?

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Is this a good game if I thought Deaths Door was about a 7/10? Seems like it has that same vibe …overrated.

I haven't played Death's Door, but I guess that would depend what you disliked about it? If you like games with a unique vibe that is puzzle-heavy, then you would probably like Tunic. Its combat is "okay", but it's also not the main draw. For me, Tunic is a 10, but at one point I just turned "No fail" on because after Elden Ring, I didn't want to bother at all with dying, and I'm the kind of person who likes very hardcore games. I wanted a mysterious world filled with puzzles and it's what I got.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth Death's Door was a 6/10 at best for me, Tunic is a 10/10 easily.

Both games are simply alright when it comes to fighting stuff and in Death's Door's case that's pretty much all there is to it. But Tunic has so much more going on in the adventure/exploration side of things.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok so is there a hint anyone can give me about what I'm meant to do in the Quarry? or how you use the second save point?

I have the gun and have explored everywhere as far as I can tell, and I'm not sure how to solve the areas (annoying) obstacle

I've made it this far without looking anything up

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so is there a hint anyone can give me about what I'm meant to do in the Quarry? or how you use the second save point?

I have the gun and have explored everywhere as far as I can tell, and I'm not sure how to solve the areas (annoying) obstacle

I've made it this far without looking anything up
There wasn't an obstacle as far as I remember. If you have that item then you should be far enough to get to the next section.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There wasn't an obstacle as far as I remember. If you have that item then you should be far enough to get to the next section.

I'm around the purple stuff that lowers your life bar, I can get back up to the snow door but I can't figure out how to stop the purple stuff or get to the save point with the moat around it, or how to pray at the pillars etc. I have 2 keys so I'm looking for the 3rd one now

Maybe I have missed something and need to go somewhere else first then

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The solution to your current predicament is actually to continue forward. Forget the moat that you have no means to cross, go through the door next to it.

I did that and ended up back at the huge door in the snowy area. I'll explore some more than and hopefully I'll figure it out

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Damn, I finished this game the weekend it came out and then returned the following week for a sequence-break run and still can't stop thinking about it or how similar a vibe it captures as Hyper Light Drifter (though I prefer the latter overall). I know comparisons are frequently made to Fez for the atmosphere and puzzle aspects, which I'd agree with, but it feels like part of a different genre entirely at times.

Anyone have any good recs for other lesser-known action/adventure games aside from HLD that would feel cut from the same cloth as Tunic? For reference, I tried Solar Ash but it didn't stick with me like HLD or Tunic did.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Damn, I finished this game the weekend it came out and then returned the following week for a sequence-break run and still can't stop thinking about it or how similar a vibe it captures as Hyper Light Drifter (though I prefer the latter overall). I know comparisons are frequently made to Fez for the atmosphere and puzzle aspects, which I'd agree with, but it feels like part of a different genre entirely at times.

Anyone have any good recs for other lesser-known action/adventure games aside from HLD that would feel cut from the same cloth as Tunic? For reference, I tried Solar Ash but it didn't stick with me like HLD or Tunic did.

Not sure if anyone else would agree but I loved Sable as well for the exploration, puzzles and interesting world

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
So I was struggling massively to get past the gank squad crocodile dudes last night and I just read that you can upgrade your stats at the bonfires. Whoops!

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Not sure if anyone else would agree but I loved Sable as well for the exploration, puzzles and interesting world

Thanks for the suggestion! That looks great and right up my alley

I'm wildly swinging here, but the game that most likely fits the bill here is "Environmental Station Alpha", but mostly its second-half. La-Mulana 1-2 (TBH, I'd start with LM2, I loooove LM1 but it's WAY too obtuse), and lastly... Outer Wilds. It's not an action game, but it has the puzzles and mysterious world.

I think Anodyne 1-2 might also be somewhat like those games, but I haven't played them so I'm not sure... Regardless, I'm going to follow this discussion, because I crave games like those. Some person on Twitter once called them "Metroidbrainias", basically games that mostly limit progress behind an understanding of the game rather than items, and I realized this super niche genre was my jam.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Sable is also great, just don't expect puzzles in the vein of this game. It's much more about the atmosphere and exploration/climbing.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wildly swinging here, but the game that most likely fits the bill here is "Environmental Station Alpha", but mostly its second-half. La-Mulana 1-2 (TBH, I'd start with LM2, I loooove LM1 but it's WAY too obtuse), and lastly... Outer Wilds. It's not an action game, but it has the puzzles and mysterious world.

I think Anodyne 1-2 might also be somewhat like those games, but I haven't played them so I'm not sure... Regardless, I'm going to follow this discussion, because I crave games like those. Some person on Twitter once called them "Metroidbrainias", basically games that mostly limit progress behind an understanding of the game rather than items, and I realized this super niche genre was my jam.
Have you played Toki Tori 2+? First game that came into my mind when I read 'metroidbrainia'. I'm keeping the term btw.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
I just watched the speedrun WR for this and it's even funnier than I thought it would be. Basically all the bosses are skipped, but you still have to engage with them to trigger the skip.

Highly entertaining and creative :)