• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
A major event to commemorate the centenary of the Tulsa Race Massacre was canceled amid an impasse over payments to three survivors, organizers said.

The Remember & Rise event was scheduled for Tulsa on Monday, a holiday observed across the US as Memorial Day. The musician John Legend was slated to perform and the politician and voting rights campaigner Stacey Abrams was to deliver a keynote speech. But negotiations over the survivors' attendance broke down.
Damario Solomon-Simmons, an attorney who represents the survivors and their descendants in civil litigation against the city of Tulsa, said he provided a list of requests to the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre Centennial Commission.

"After months of zero communication and under immense pressure that John Legend and Stacey Abrams may no longer participate if the survivors were not centered, a meeting was scheduled for [last] Saturday," Solomon-Simmons told the Associated Press.

"Immediately following that call, our legal team submitted a list of seven requests to ensure the survivors' participation with the commission's scheduled events. The agreement was to have answers on each of the requests by [last Tuesday]. That didn't happen."
Oklahoma state senator Kevin Matthews, who chairs the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre Centennial Commission, said that after meeting Solomon-Simmons and other survivors' representatives, the commission agreed to distribute $100,000 to each survivor and to provide $2m for a reparations fund.

"We raised the money and we were excited the survivors were going to accept these gifts," Matthews told the AP. "Unfortunately, [last] Sunday they reached out and increased the amount of the $100,000-per-survivor gifts to $1m, and instead of $2m [for the fund], they asked for $50m โ€“ $50m โ€“ in seed money.
Matthews said the commission had raised more than $30m, including $20m for building the Greenwood Rising museum, in the past five years. Other funds would help renovations to the Greenwood Cultural Center, commemoration activities and art projects, he said.

Some Black residents in Tulsa have questioned whether money for the museum, which is in an increasingly gentrified part of the city, should have gone instead to descendants of those killed in the massacre, or African Americans now living near Greenwood.

www.theguardian.com

Tulsa Race Massacre centenary: major event canceled after payment dispute

Negotiations for the event, at which John Legend and Stacey Abrams were to appear, broke down over payments to three survivors

...100k?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
a story about white guilt always getting trumped by white financial anxiety, white apathy, and white amnesia?

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
This whole thing was looking like the same finessing we were seeing from people using BLM as a way to funnel money to themselves. Especially when you are inviting celebrities out.

They aint seeing that 1M dollars but its way under the amount they should be getting considering what Black Wall Street was becoming at the time.

Oh, and these fools went out and raised money for a museum in a gentrified area instead of just giving that money to survivors and letting them decide what to do with the money. And I know any money made off that museum isn't mostly going to the victims either. Black pain just being used once again for people to market off of. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
This whole thing was looking like the same finessing we were seeing from people using BLM as a way to funnel money to themselves. Especially when you are inviting celebrities out.

They aint seeing that 1M dollars but its way under the amount they should be getting considering what Black Wall Street was becoming at the time.

Oh, and these fools went out and raised money for a museum in a gentrified area instead of just giving that money to survivors and letting them decide what to do with the money. And I know any money made off that museum isn't mostly going to the victims either. Black pain just being used once again for people to market off of. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

There's only 3 survivor left, so they were only going to give 300k, and the survivor represneitve asked for 1 million for them.

And it does seem to be money reason mainly, since there is two or three group claiming they are the "real" one

Disagreements among Black leaders in Tulsa over the handling of commemoration events and millions of dollars in donations have led to two disparate groups planning separate slates of events marking the massacre's 100-year anniversary. In addition to the Centennial Commission, the Black Wall Street Legacy Festival has scheduled a series of events over the next several days, and they will continue as planned. Solomon-Simmons is associated with the Legacy Festival, along with City Councilwoman Vanessa Hall-Harper and Tiffany Crutcher, the twin sister of Terence Crutcher, an unarmed Black man who was shot and killed by a Tulsa police officer in 2016.
"It is just a mess," said former state Sen. Judy Eason-McIntyre, a member of the commission who says she believes the overarching dispute is both about a struggle for power and control over some of the millions of dollars that have flowed into the community from private foundations. "I've seen stink before ... and it's all about money."
Many Black Tulsans say they're upset the two separate factions couldn't work out their differences and reach an agreement that benefitted the city, particularly its Black residents.
"I'm just disappointed," said Marq Lewis, a Black activist in Tulsa who said he's not associated with either group. "I'm disappointed that adults could not come to the table and not air out our dirty laundry nationally."

"We all have disagreements ... but in some way we have to look at the bigger picture."

apnews.com

Organizers: Dispute over survivors scrapped Tulsa event

Tulsans working on events commemorating the 1921 Race Massacre say a dispute over monetary payments to survivors led to the cancellation of a headline event.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they ask for more than 20x the previously agreed upon amount a week before the memorial event? How in the world could that possibly work out well?

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Why did they ask for more than 20x the previously agreed upon amount a week before the memorial event? How in the world could that possibly work out well?

So you think 100k is a good amount?

And two of the guest have stated if the survivor are not there, they might not attend, so seem like they can ask for more?

Attorney Damario Solomon-Simmons told The Associated Press that he submitted a list of requests to the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre Centennial Commission in order to have the survivors attend the "Remember & Rise" event Monday at ONEOK Field in Tulsa. The commission had enlisted Grammy-award-winning singer and songwriter John Legend to headline the event, and voting rights activist Stacey Abrams was to deliver the keynote address.

"After months of zero communication and under immense pressure that John Legend and Stacey Abrams may no longer participate if the survivors were not centered, a meeting was scheduled for Saturday," Solomon-Simmons said in a text message to the AP. "Immediately following that call, our legal team submitted a list of seven requests to ensure the survivors' participation with the commission's scheduled events."

Mar 7, 2020
USA
so...100k to each survivor, and 2 million for reparation funds. The city raised 30 million, and is using 20 million on a museum.

Shouldn't the numbers be reversed?

20 million to the survivors, and reparations, and nothing to the city that committed the massacre.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They probably chose $100k because that was an average net worth for someone who would've had money in a major financial hub at the time. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $1.4 million today. Given that these people would've lost that $100k net worth, paying them back adjusted for inflation 100% makes sense.

They don't need to spend $20 million on a museum with the families getting $100k.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
There's only 3 survivor left, so they were only going to give 300k, and the survivor represneitve asked for 1 million for them.

And it does seem to be money reason mainly, since there is two or three group claiming they are the "real" one

apnews.com

Organizers: Dispute over survivors scrapped Tulsa event

Tulsans working on events commemorating the 1921 Race Massacre say a dispute over monetary payments to survivors led to the cancellation of a headline event.

From your article it sounds like the money was agreed on and then right before the lawyer asked for it to go from 100k -> 1 million and asked the seed money for reparations to go from 2 million to $50 million. This seems a bit outrageous at the last second.

Reading your article it sounds like a mess, a lot of fighting going on, and this doesn't even have the fighting that they're having with the state government.

so...100k to each survivor, and 2 million for reparation funds. The city raised 30 million, and is using 20 million on a museum.

Shouldn't the numbers be reversed?

20 million to the survivors, and reparations, and nothing to the city that committed the massacre.

From the AP article above the Commission is what raised the money, I believe that is separate from the city.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
They don't need to spend $20 million on a museum with the families getting $100k.
This is what it comes down to for me. Especially since they're exploiting the image and presence of these survivors to help raise this money, and the lion's share of it seems to be going towards something that's not going to help the Black residents of Tulsa at all.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Listened to a code switch about this - it's evidentially just gentrification of the neighborhood under the guise of a history museum and "investment in the community"

One of the survivors has sued for use of her name for the museum AND their is already a museum in the neighborhood

Mar 7, 2020
USA
From the AP article above the Commission is what raised the money, I believe that is separate from the city.
About the Commission (tulsa2021.org)
Honorable Matt Pinnell
Lt. Governor of Oklahoma
Honorable James Lankford
Senator
Honorable GT Bynum
Mayor, City of Tulsa
Honorable Stan Sallee
Tulsa County Commissioner
Honorable M. Susan Savage
Morton Comprehensive Health Services
Honorable Judy Eason-McIntyre
Retired State Representative
Dr. Howard Barnett
Oklahoma State University - Tulsa
Tom Biolchini
Chairman, Vast Bank
Dr. Pamela Fry
Oklahoma State University - Tulsa
Dr. Deborah Gist
Tulsa Public Schools
Donna Jackson
North Tulsa 100
Frances Jordan-Rakestraw
Greenwood Cultural Center
Alicia Latimer
Tulsa City-County Library
Ken Levit
George Kaiser Family Foundation
Kara Joy McKee
District 4 City Councilor, City of Tulsa

For something that is not part of the City, it seem to have a lot of city and other government officials in it.

So my stance didn't change. The city raised 30 mil, would only pay 300k to survivors and 2 mil to reparations, then 20 mil to a "museum"

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
They probably chose $100k because that was an average net worth for someone who would've had money in a major financial hub at the time. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $1.4 million today. Given that these people would've lost that $100k net worth, paying them back adjusted for inflation 100% makes sense.

It's not family getting 100k.
It's the last 3 survivor each will only get 100k and their lawyer saying it's not good enough.

1000.jpeg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's not family getting 100k.
It's the last 3 survivor each will only get 100k and their lawyer saying it's not good enough.
Regardless of the outcome, that money is going into a trust that's willed to the children and grand children even if it's being awarded to individuals. But that's not the point.

The point is that it's not enough money regardless because it's no longer 1921.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Regardless of the outcome, that money is going into a trust that's willed to the children and grand children even if it's being awarded to individuals. But that's not the point.

The point is that it's not enough money regardless because it's no longer 1921.

Yep~ 100k is not a serious offer, and acting like it is and that it is wrong to refuse it is not good.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Raise 20+ mill and giving 300k to the actual victims family is the most American thing ever... 20 fucking mil to a museum.

Makes me think they wouldnt have done this at all had they not been able to benefit from it. Like they found the smallest amount they could give them possible.... so ridiculous.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to a code switch about this - it's evidentially just gentrification of the neighborhood under the guise of a history museum and "investment in the community"

One of the survivors has sued for use of her name for the museum AND their is already a museum in the neighborhood

Yeah, that Code Switch episode is crazy. There's ALREADY a museum in the neighborhood. Who is this new museum for? And the survivor already said that she didn't want anything to do with the new museum, and sued for them using her name in the commemoration.

And then there's the whole education about the massacre. OK is a red state. They trying to stop the education of "anything that might cause racial trauma." That means Tulsa being a footnote, at best. Migrant workers from Africa, plantation hands that helped in the fields, states rights, etc.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So you think 100k is a good amount?

And two of the guest have stated if the survivor are not there, they might not attend, so seem like they can ask for more?
The amount of money is low but not what I'm confused by, I'm confused by why they made such a major change to their demands so close to this memorial event. The commission is clearly more at fault, if not 100% at fault, but neither article gives me a sense of the survivors' lawyer's strategy. Was it their intent to force the commission to cancel their flawed memorial service? What result were they hoping for or expecting?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of money is low but not what I'm confused by, I'm confused by why they made such a major change to their demands so close to this memorial event. The commission is clearly more at fault, if not 100% at fault, but neither article gives me a sense of the survivors' lawyer's strategy. Was it their intent to force the commission to cancel their flawed memorial service? What result were they hoping for or expecting?
it looks like the actual subjects of the celebrated event were never fully on board with anything, and the city and politics of Tulsa wanted to have a big event and got the wheels rolling so they could do so. Invite the president, plan a big 20million dollar tourist attraction for their massacre to raise money for the city, now that they're no longer hiding it, and so on.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they should get $1 million BUT if they already agreed to 100k/$2m and then changed their minds to $1 million/$50 million just a week before the event you can kind of see how that might fuck things up

edit: i guess I misunderstood what was being stated. Shit's a fucking mess but it definitely all seems to be on the city
it looks like the actual subjects of the celebrated event were never fully on board with anything, and the city and politics of Tulsa wanted to have a big event and got the wheels rolling so they could do so. Invite the president, plan a big 20million dollar tourist attraction for their massacre to raise money for the city, now that they're no longer hiding it, and so on.
So did they or did they not agree to $100k/$2m at one point?

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should get $1 million BUT if they already agreed to 100k/$2m and then changed their minds to $1 million/$50 million just a week before the event you can kind of see how that might fuck things up

those 3 elders? I'm going to believe that they did not. And if it was ever unclear, the onus wasn't on them to clarify.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

The head of the centennial commission stated that the *commission* had agreed to the $100k/$2 million figure that they thought the survivors would accept. It's unclear if the survivors themselves ever agreed to that figure. Their attorney is stating that the commission was unresponsive for months and only agreed to meet with them last week when it appeared they wouldn't be attending... and the celebrities lined up wouldn't attend without the survivors there. They presented a negotiable figure to the commission but rather than negotiate the event was cancelled.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you so focuses on blaming the victem?
Why don't you read my edits
Because the not city commision run by the mayor and numerous other govt officials that raised 30 million on the murder and tragedy of the tulsa massacre deserves at least 20 mil and the survivors should be grateful for 100k after 100 years of inaction and silence?
I said that the survivors should get their full demands, only said that the timing was the problem. But I also made that post under the false impression that the survivors had reached the original agreement. Apparently this was not so and i edited the post to reflect this new information

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is just one massacre and they are still holding out paying this one that's getting attention.

Horrible people, that very likely benefited from slavery, are likely the ones to decide this kind of stuff. Their ancestors may have even gotten money because they couldn't use slaves anymore.