• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

An airport employee in upstate New York was fired for passing a rude note to a traveler going through security.

The incident occurred in late July, reports WROC Channel 8, when Neal Strassner was going through a TSA checkpoint for a departing flight. That's when a female guard handed him a folded piece of cardboard. Strassner continued to walk toward his gate but the staffer yelled "You going to open the note?"

When he unfolded the sign, he saw it read "You ugly!!!" and heard the guard laughing uproariously.

190816-you-ugly-tsa-note-rochester-airport-se-703p_419a7df4e221146446bef59fe887b3e7.fit-760w.jpg

Strassner was so befuddled by the incident that he filed a Freedom of Information Act request for security-camera footage. It took nearly a month for it to be processed, but the clip clearly shows the entire scene playing out.

At the end of the video, the guard can be seen reaching into her pocket for another scrap of cardboard and writing another note.

Misbehavior by airport security staff is not uncommon: In 2015, two TSA agents at Denver International Airport were fired for sexually assaulting male travelers: The pair would spot an attractive man in line for security screening and intentionally misidentify him as women. That would trigger the machine to register an anomaly in the groin area, giving one of the agents the opportunity to pat the man's crotch and buttocks.

...Some agents have even faced repercussions for weird notes before. In 2011, a TSA agent at Newark Airport was fired for placing a missive reading "Get your freak on, girl" into the suitcase of a woman traveling with a vibrator in her luggage.

"TSA holds contractors to the highest ethical standards and has zero tolerance for this type of behavior," the agency said in a statement. "This instance, which involved a contract employee, was investigated immediately upon receiving the complaint by the traveler. The employee has since been terminated by the contractor."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn imagine being that stupid and mean. Sadly not a rare combination nowadays

Oct 27, 2017
She's saying I'm ugly, but taking the time out of her day just write me a secret note shows how she really feels. It's so dumb that I'm not even mad. This is grade school shit.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Got the mental acuity of a grade schooler. Either that or willfully trying to get fired.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm picturing a terrorist trying to get through security and TSA hands him the note but he panics and blows his cover.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Going out of your way like that to insult a complete stranger is nuts.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"Strassner was so befuddled by the incident that he filed a Freedom of Information Act request for security-camera footage."

lol

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
what the fuck... how do you even get into the position with no common sense

i regret reading through those twitter mentions though. typical racist bullshit

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
There is no way she decided that he was ugly and wrote that up. She was holding it and waiting for someone that looked like an easy target for laughs. She should be out

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
It almost seems like she thought it was harmless fun. I feel like she could have had the same amount of fun writing something like "you're the best!" or "keep being awesome!" in her notes.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
It almost seems like she thought it was harmless fun. I feel like she could have had the same amount of fun writing something like "you're the best!" or "keep being awesome!" in her notes.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting out of it. I would have just laughed too and flicked her off 🖕, 🤷‍♂️

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think she was just messing around. Why would anyone give a shit about this to file a FOIA act? The fuck. Let her be.

Jul 18, 2018
You all downplaying harassment as just messing around eh? Just imagine being in a shitty ass mood with low self esteem and being handed that paper. Ok.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I think she was just messing around. Why would anyone give a shit about this to file a FOIA act? The fuck. Let her be.

I mean, would you like to be called ugly randomly? Say for example said person who gets that note has self confidence issues, getting that note just makes it feel much worse. As someone with very low self esteem this would literally break me if it happened to me, I already feel bad enough as it is.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I think she was just messing around... Let her be.

Imagine a cashier doing this randomly at a grocery store.
Imagine a waitress randomly doing this to someone at a restaurant.
Imagine a theater usher doing this to a random person at a movie theater.
Imagine a doctor doing this to a random patient.
Imagine telling anyone "you're ugly" unless you're really familiar with them and sure they'll take it as a joke.

This is unprofessional and an appropriate reason for firing. It's also just rude and mean. Lady needs to go think about life.

Last edited:

Magni

She should do her fucking job. Firing her was the only acceptable outcome here. Hopefully she learned her lesson, but I don't have much hope.

I get reverse culture shock coming back to the US and France and seeing how unprofessional people can be after years of living in Japan...

Just yesterday I had public transit employees very loudly complaining about the tourists at the station ("I'm tired of saying the same thing to all these idiots" well maybe so, but keep it to yourself and shut up).