• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I hate kids. Like, "dont want them around me" hate. I'm sure I'd be different if it was my own, but fuck that.. lol

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm like, "Get the fuck over yourselves! You were probably an annoying little shit too!"

I'm pretty neutral. Kids are kids. Actively disliking them and making comments about how much they suck just comes across as childish.

People are allowed to not like things, that includes kids. As long your not treating them like shit, who cares?

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Why does someone like chocolate over vanilla, or vice versa? It's just the way some people are. You can't really explain it. You don't need to understand it, just respect it.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't find them cute like I do kittens and puppies so I find everything they do is annoying.
Imagine like a big hairless rat constantly screaming and shitting itself. That's basically a baby.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I like individual kids but as a general population no thanks. Kids in my mind represent the worst aspects of adults. They are loud, selfish, stubborn, gross, and slow. Unlike adults with the same aspects, you can't call them out on their bullshit either.

Also yes babies are super ugly. Almost any other type of newborn animal is cuter. Hearing a baby crying stresses me out, and I will always resent them for the unconscious power they have over me because of that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine like a big hairless rat constantly screaming and shitting itself. That's basically a baby.

I mean... it's not though. Especially once you get past like 4 months.

I watched my 14 month old son all day today. He's screamed zero times. He poops ever couple days and it's a quick couple minutes to change him. We've had like 4 blowout incidences since birth and those weren't that bad.

OP
OP
Shola Akinnuso
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Why does someone like chocolate over vanilla, or vice versa? It's just the way some people are. You can't really explain it. You don't need to understand it, just respect it.
Not quite sure if this is the same. You're talking personal preference. I'm implying a dead-zone of empathy. Somebody above said, "why should I care...not my kid" and I really debated internally about replying directly to that because this isn't meant to be a judgey conversation. I'll say this, though: My dad is Nigerian and always tried to raise our American family with values that elevated community ownership and accountability. So yeah, if I see something wrong in my community, I try to do something or if I see some kid that needs help, I try to intervene. It's very difficult for me, personally, to have the 'not my kid' mentality', but for my wife (and i'm assuming others who don't like kids)? It's whatever. Water off a duck's back, or however the saying goes...

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids are cool though I can see why some dislike them. They are loud and have no self awareness of that lol.

I seriously can't believe the numbskull dumbass adults in my life used to be small children who were once curious and fascinated about understanding the world they lived in.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... it's not though. Especially once you get past like 4 months.

I watched my 14 month old son all day today. He's screamed zero times. He poops ever couple days and it's a quick couple minutes to change him. We've had like 4 blowout incidences since birth and those weren't that bad.
I'm over exaggerating. I'm basically saying that they're overall too noisy and dirty.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
Selfish, entitled, always asking for more, and never happy with what they have. Seems like wish lists are never ending.

That and the fact that all conversations have to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. It's just not enticing and feels like a waste of time. All for what? To raise another human being that's going to grow up and most likely be part of the problem of fucking up the nature around us instead of a solution. Just doesn't create empathy from me.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on the kid but I generally like them. I'm a therapist so I see a lot of kids and some of them can be downright insufferable. I feel so bad for some of these parents.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Used to hate kids until my college years. Not saying it's from me gaining empathy... but...
At that point, I realized I had times as a kid where I was annoying as shit and surrounding adults somehow tolerated me, and so I should return the favor somehow.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
It depends a lot on the kids. I have anxiety issues & suffer from headaches & migraines, so being in areas with a lot of them around triggers that when they're making a lot of noise and commotion.

But if I'm in an area that's more controlled, it's fine. Back when I was in college, I ran a Pokémon TCG league for one of the local elementary school after day care programs and it was really rewarding to see the kids excited and grow during the months.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not quite sure if this is the same. You're talking personal preference. I'm implying a dead-zone of empathy. Somebody above said, "why should I care...not my kid" and I really debated internally about replying directly to that because this isn't meant to be a judgey conversation. I'll say this, though: My dad is Nigerian and always tried to raise our American family with values that elevated community ownership and accountability. So yeah, if I see something wrong in my community, I try to do something or if I see some kid that needs help, I try to intervene. It's very difficult for me, personally, to have the 'not my kid' mentality', but for my wife (and i'm assuming others who don't like kids)? It's whatever. Water off a duck's back, or however the saying goes...
I think I get what you're saying. Maybe some people's actions could stem from a personal preference, in that they don't find children cute or endearing, so they have nothing driving their feelings any more than some other random person. As long as their indifference or dislike isn't causing harm to someone, then I couldn't fault them for it.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I don't like kids and never want any of my own.

They're loud, obnoxious, dirty and incredibly annoying most of the time. Its compounded by the fact that you can't even tell them to shut the fuck up like you can with adults. I honestly don't even know how to act around children. I'd make a horrible parent and honestly I'm way too selfish to give up 20 years of my life raising a child that would bring me more misery than joy.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids are germ-breeding factories, they're annoying and lack a filter or self-control, they take a ton of effort and money to raise, they keep yoi from doing what you want to do.

What's there to like?

Oh look, another thread with people discussing how much they hate kids and babies.
It legit disgusts me that the moderators allow these threads to exist when any other group of people that were said to be disgusting, awful etc etc... would result in countless bans.
Seriously. It's awful.

Maybe it's because kids are actually terrible.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
They can be really loud and irritating if they've been raised badly or they have inattentive parents who will just them run down train carriages screaming and shit.

I don't mind kids if they're well behaved but, yeah, I deliberately try to avoid sitting near families at restaurants/on public transport because they tend to be loud.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Because I was goddamned annoying when I was a kid. Wish I could travel back in time and slap my dumbass younger self for some of the embarrassment my parents had to deal with because of me.

So believe me I do know when a fucking kid can be hell to deal with, good thing I'm not a teacher.

Before anyone goes for the "gotcha" and report my post. No, I don't advocate for child abuse or violence, you morons.
However, I got in a lot of fights during the "being annoying" phase of my childhood.

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm pretty ambivalent although I do feel like some of the backlash to kids is deserved lol.

At least where I live it's clear that parents increasingly demand their kids have access to previously adult spaces (i.e. local pubs and bars) at least during the daytime hours. I don't know about you but if I want to get day drunk in a beer garden I don't want it to be at a fucking playground jamboree lol.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Listen, and understand! Kids are out there! they can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, like most people, it depends on the kid.

But their brains are milkshakes so a lot of them suck ass.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Why? I don't like them. Simple as that. Find them annoying.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think a decent enough amount of people seem to hate other people in general and I don't know why that wouldn't extend to kids.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably like my own kids no matter what, but it depends on the kid as to whether I dislike them or not. One person I know has a son and daughter, both under 6, but the son runs around, making a huge mess and intentionally doing things he's not supposed to until one of the parents snaps at him and he makes a big dramatic show of things.

Alternatively, another person I know has a 4 year old who is super chill and just asks the odd question or tells me something about their day/interests and then returns to colouring or watching something or whatever. That kid is awesome.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Eh.... kinda sorta. Kids irk the living crap outta me but it could be related to how the parents are also treating them when they're out in public. Parents who allows their kids to ride a scooter or bike in a supermarket - dumb. Parents who allows kid to scream at the top of their lungs and not do anything about it because at that point they're likely to have phased out the noise - dumb and inconsiderate. They're more tolerable to me when they're well behaved 🤷🏻‍♀️

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've met exactly one child I actually found pleasant. She's also a child actor so all that could have been a ruse itself

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
OP if your wife loves her own kid(s) then that's enough, since plenty can't even be bothered to go to that length. I personally think kids are great and they never bother me. I'm in wonder at them most of the time. Not a parent but my siblings have kids and i'm pretty happy with that situation. It's the next best thing to having my own. I personally find those who have a strong disliking for children to be harder to tolerate than most kids. You can be disinterested in kids without being so forceful about it.

Nov 17, 2017
Is it really that hard to understand? They're often annoying and lacking in self-awareness. You also have to be more filtered around them and they can be liabilities. At the most mundane level, I just simply can't relate to them.

I don't really know why I should like random kids.

Yeah, I'm like, "Get the fuck over yourselves! You were probably an annoying little shit too!"

I'm pretty neutral. Kids are kids. Actively disliking them and making comments about how much they suck just comes across as childish.
I don't like kids but I never go out of my way to say it unless it's relevant like right now. I'm definitely not neutral though. Don't really see what's wrong with not liking kids as long as you aren't mistreating them.

Oh look, another thread with people discussing how much they hate kids and babies.
It legit disgusts me that the moderators allow these threads to exist when any other group of people that were said to be disgusting, awful etc etc... would result in countless bans.
Seriously. It's awful.

I have two children of mine own, they are lovely little beings filled with highly complex emotions and hormones rushing through them as they grow rapidly.
My wife works with children who are hurt by people who happen to also hold such toxic views about kids. The fact that it's allowed on this forum to basically hate kids again is baffling and utterly absurdly double standard when we promote as a community such open arms for so many.
Are you for real?

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily my kids are pretty chill. Especially from others I have seen.

I have never hated kids at any point in my life. Yeah some are awful, but no different than adults.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I think babies are weird and/or ugly looking, and if you make me watch over one we'll probably both just end up crying lol. Once they grow up a few years then they're cute, but I still don't want anything to do with them. I seriously have no idea how to interact with children, I'm so fkn awkward about it. They're hard to understand, and I'm always worried I'm going to upset them somehow. And I'm a relatively patient person, but when it comes to kids I have no patience for literally anything about them. I don't want to spend hours playing their dumb little games, I don't want to deal with their short attention spans, I don't want to be following them around or them following me around nonstop like a little duckling. I like my alone time, doing what I wanna do, and having things quiet. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I hate children, but I certainly do not like them and would prefer to keep a certain distance, and I definitely have zero interest in ever having my own.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a lack of empathy. As an adult you forget that everyone starts in that same stage and went through similar growing pains on the way to adulthood. Kids aren't an "other". They're human beings. They're literally us.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Finding children annoying is....natural. They are loud shrieking bastards sometimes.

......But those people on the internet that just have to throw in the fact that they "hate" children and go on to describe their vitriol disgust for them are psychos.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a secret. OP: not all kids are cute, precocious, and/or lovable. It's actually pretty rare.

Media representations are one thing, but actual memories growing up alongside them and as one tend to blunt that fairy tale pretty damn quick if you think about it for more than thirty seconds.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I used to think I disliked kids.

Then I realized...no, actually, kids are fine. I dislike parents.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
depends on the child. unruly brats who got free reign to just run all over the place regardless of where they are are the fucking wooooorst and they're not exactly in short supply these days.

basically, kudos to all those parents with well-behaved kids.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Media representations are one thing, but actual memories growing up alongside them and as one tend to blunt that fairy tale pretty damn quick if you think about it for more than thirty seconds.
Uhhhh. Not really. The fuck kind of horrible childhood did you have? Shit like this makes you "baby haters" look like such edge lords.
Fuck babies, puppies, kittens, whatever. Children and pets suck.
And then you have this guy. Lmao. Like I said. Psychos.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're loud and annoying.

And I was bullied by children growing up, so whats so good about them?