• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
edit: no point getting into this, not the point of the thread. it can be discussed elsewhere

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
After a few days with it, testing multiple games (mostly sitting mode) I really enjoy it. I ordered a new face cover to block everything out. Going to play some games that make me a bit woozy more (subnautica) to get my VR legs ready for Alyx.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Question for you guys... Is there any reason why I couldn't get an Odyssey+ right now as a baby's first VR and then maybe add Index Base Stations and Controllers later? Are they compatible?

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this experience has been dreadful as the HDMI cable/connector from the Odyssey+ seemingly won't fit into my RTX 2080 FE, all other HDMI cables fit perfectly fine but not the one on the Odyssey+. I tried using a display port-to-HDMI converter which fits but Windows and the headset don't work with that setup. Spent the last hour trying to to get an HDMI cable plugged into a video card...unreal.

Edit: I was only able to get around this by using a coupler to connect the headset HDMI-to-a separate HDMI cable which went into the RTX 2080. Updating Firmware was successful without a hitch, WMR setup was easy enough although I have limited space. Played around with the Halo Recruit app but I was under the floor for some reason (will return to it later). Need to setup SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR now.

I really don't want to use the coupler as it could introduce lag but it was getting rather uncomforatable trying to force the headset's HDMI into a $700+ video card. Not the experience I was looking for...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Picked one of these up in the sale over the weekend; it's been a dream and feels like an upgrade from my previous home experiences of PSVR . Only thing now is to see if Half-Life: Alyx absolutely needs those Index controllers or if I can get by with the WMR solution. I've borrowed Oculus CV1s and a set of Touchs for work, and even though the tracking is better when it comes to objects behind my back, coming from PSVR, the tracking in my mind is similar, except the Oddysey+ screen looks amazing. I think I can get by at this bargain price for now.

Most games I've played have been fairly good at tracking at arm's length anyway, and the few roomscale ones haven't been such a problem (other than to upgrade my condo!).

Very satisfied with this so far! Pro tip for anyone who picked one up: be sure to enable supersampling in SteamVR to at least 140% to really get the most of the screen. There's also an experimental tag to enable 90Hz for the headset (and I haven't found any bugs so far).

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Also anyone wondering about tracking, I never ran into an issue, it tracks damn well. I havent needed a game to put things behind my back, Can't see an scenario were that would be necessary.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope No Man's Sky isn't a "good" example of the tracking capabilities with this headset as it was atrocious for me, may need to do a lot of adjustments and tweaking (if possible) but that being the first real game I've tried it wasn't any where near acceptable or really playable even.

Edit: Tried "The Lab" and again the tracking may as well be non-existent as when I try to use the Grab button and push forward a bit to actually start it the little podium-looking thing with the start button just moves away from me. I surely hope I'm doing something wrong here. A lot of wonkiness with both hands out in front of me as well where clearly both cameras can see them.

I don't think it has anything to do with the room boundaries either as it can only be so big given the length of the cord from the headset to the PC.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I hope No Man's Sky isn't a "good" example of the tracking capabilities with this headset as it was atrocious for me, may need to do a lot of adjustments and tweaking (if possible) but that being the first real game I've tried it wasn't any where near acceptable or really playable even.

My hdmi cable fits perfectly fine into my graphics card. Don't know what the issue is there.

Looking at the No Man's Sky page, it doesn't have WMR listed as a supported headset. That's something you will need to be aware of. Not every game supports every single headset. You can do a search in the store to narrow your results.

I'm sure there are ways to make it work though.

Oct 27, 2017
My hdmi cable fits perfectly fine into my graphics card. Don't know what the issue is there.

Looking at the No Man's Sky page, it doesn't have WMR listed as a supported headset. That's something you will need to be aware of. Not every game supports every single headset. You can do a search in the store to narrow your results.

The HDMI thing is just baffling, thankfully I had a coupler. I do remember seeing someone mention an issue with it though (maybe reddit, I can't remember given all the info I've read about this headset over the last week or so).

NMS had all the button prompts from the Odyssey+ controllers so I assumed it was native.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017

Those support icons are old. Almost all VR game support WMR, especially through steamVR

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Tried "The Lab" and again the tracking may as well be non-existent as when I try to use the Grab button and push forward a bit to actually start it the little podium-looking thing with the start button just moves away from me. I surely hope I'm doing something wrong here. A lot of wonkiness with both hands out in front of me as well where clearly both cameras can see them.

I don't think it has anything to do with the room boundaries either as it can only be so big given the length of the cord from the headset to the PC.
Did you update the firmware. I have no issues tracking in the LAB. Also see if you have a BIOS update, I've read old bios can cause tracking issues

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The more I learn about the headsets and their differences / similarities it makes the decision for me even more unbearable. I'm so torn.

giphy.gif

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
No issue with tracking from my play throughs - it felt comparable to the Oculus Touch controllers whenever I had them in view of the Odyssey headset. The only tracking errors I would get would be if it was out of sight, such as behind my back. I guess I've already been conditioned to keep my hands upfront since my previous VR experience started with PSVR.

I did have to get used to the rings around the controllers though - the one advantage of the narrow PS Moves was that the balls never had a chance to collide with each other when bringing your hands close together.

I've heard there are WMR tracking errors when it comes to putting your arms in 'rifle' positions like Pavlov, but I didn't have problems shooting arrows in Skyrim or the Lab in 'archery' positions.

Oct 27, 2017
Turned off room boundary and the tracking became a million times better but I kinda need that feature to avoid disaster.

The Lab is pretty cool. The visual upgrade here with this headset (compared to my previous experience with PSVR) was really apparent in the Portal robot dissection of sorts bit.

Anyone here try the Serious Sam games (3 in particular), any good in VR?

Last edited:

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
The HDMI thing is just baffling, thankfully I had a coupler. I do remember seeing someone mention an issue with it though (maybe reddit, I can't remember given all the info I've read about this headset over the last week or so).

NMS had all the button prompts from the Odyssey+ controllers so I assumed it was native.

I mentioned having HDMI cable issues (and some others) in this thread. Attempting to put the Odyssey+ cable into a port that had previously worked with other HDMI cables was a big WTF moment for me. The thing just wouldn't fit without a fight. After some time inserting other cables to make sure it wasn't me, I somehow managed to get the actual Samsung cable in.

As a follow-up, I ended up refunding the headset as the audio issues I was having persisted. Intermittently, either the audio would mute or it would produce a loud burst of static. The last game I tried, Killing Floor: Incursion, resulted in a lengthy static burst that also froze the game up, That about did it for me.

Updating to the latest Windows 10 version (1909), making sure all of my chipset/USB drivers were up to date, and adjusting various Windows audio/sound settings didn't help. I wasn't about to replace my X570 motherboard or buy a powered USB hub to fix the problem, so back to Amazon it went. As it was on sale, I ended up ordering an Oculus Rift S on Black Friday.

I wanted to like and keep the Odyssey+, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned having HDMI cable issues (and some others) in this thread. Attempting to put the Odyssey+ cable into a port that had previously worked with other HDMI cables was a big WTF moment for me. The thing just wouldn't fit without a fight. After some time inserting other cables to make sure it wasn't me, I somehow managed to get the actual Samsung cable in.

As a follow-up, I ended up refunding the headset as the audio issues I was having persisted. Intermittently, either the audio would mute or it would produce a loud burst of static. The last game I tried, Killing Floor: Incursion, resulted in a lengthy static burst that also froze the game up, That about did it for me.

Updating to the latest Windows 10 version (1909), making sure all of my chipset/USB drivers were up to date, and adjusting various Windows audio/sound settings didn't help. I wasn't about to replace my X570 motherboard or buy a powered USB hub to fix the problem, so back to Amazon it went. As it was on sale, I ended up ordering an Oculus Rift S on Black Friday.

I wanted to like and keep the Odyssey+, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Yeah, I literally inserted (successfully) 8-10 other HDMI cables, compared them all to the Odyssey+ one and could see zero difference but there is obviously an issue there somewhere. I fought and fought and fought with it to no avail to only resort to using a coupler connected to another HDMI cable.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. It's definitely a good starting point for VR. I'm surprised by how good games look. Think I've said it before in this thread, but I'm going to say it again...give Moss a go. It's on sale right now.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I literally inserted (successfully) 8-10 other HDMI cables, compared them all to the Odyssey+ one and could see zero difference but there is obviously an issue there somewhere. I fought and fought and fought with it to no avail to only resort to using a coupler connected to another HDMI cable.

That's so odd. Did a Google search and ya'll aren't the only ones to have the issue. I unplug it when I'm done and plug it right back in when I'm going to use it with ease. Just as easy as any other cable. Wonder if something happened in production to some sets or something.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Got my odyssey today, having way too much fun with it, played a little of skyrim and some of superhot and sairento. Overall happy with my purchase. Still think I'm going to get that one strap for the top of the device like someone suggested before and maybe a replacement cushion but overall I'm happy with how it fits.

With Sairento, you have weapons on your shoulders / lower back and on your sides and I haven't had a issue yet with tracking so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that Halo Recruit app is such a tease. I'd pay a lot of money to get Halo VR game. I just want to put boots on a Halo ring, Hell, I'd take an on-rails Halo shooter in VR if nothing else.

Oct 27, 2017
That's so odd. Did a Google search and ya'll aren't the only ones to have the issue. I unplug it when I'm done and plug it right back in when I'm going to use it with ease. Just as easy as any other cable. Wonder if something happened in production to some sets or something.

Is there any reason to do this other than to get it out of the way? Just curious if there is any downside to leaving it connected all the time.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
The more I learn about the headsets and their differences / similarities it makes the decision for me even more unbearable. I'm so torn.

giphy.gif

Ha! This was exactly me during the early Vive/Oculus era, and you know which I got at the time? Neither! I was too paralyzed by the indecision. Luckily, once the Rift S was announced it pretty much crushed all of my "But what about...?" concerns. I finally bought it last week, and it's amazing. Do not regret!

Honestly, any of the upper-end headsets will probably be fine for you. I think a bit of "grass is always greener" jealousy for aspects of the other headsets will be inevitable. Just go with your gut and get to VRing!

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Ha! This was exactly me during the early Vive/Oculus era, and you know which I got at the time? Neither! I was too paralyzed by the indecision. Luckily, once the Rift S was announced it pretty much crushed all of my "But what about...?" concerns. I finally bought it last week, and it's amazing. Do not regret!

Honestly, any of the upper-end headsets will probably be fine for you. I think a bit of "grass is always greener" jealousy for aspects of the other headsets will be inevitable. Just go with your gut and get to VRing!
This is great advice, thanks. Was definitely leaning towards the Rift S, so I'll probably just go for it. Thanks!

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I just updated my firmware to 1.02. I had to do it in the Samsung software. I dunno if that's old or not

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Update: I returned my Odyssey, Decided to get a rift S, since it probably will get finger tracking and what ever else they come out with in the future (knuckle equivalent controllers). Also the tracking (while decent) sucked when ever I put the controllers above the camera (ex: to wave at someone). I mainly bought these for Alyx, I need full movement to smack headcrabs

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this but I'm ordering a Mac Pro one of the 2019 models here:

• 3.5GHz 8‑core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
  • 32GB (4x8GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
  • Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory
  • 256GB SSD storage
  • Stainless steel frame with feet
  • Magic Mouse 2
  • Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - US English

Is this thing compatible with Index and Steam? Would it run the game reasonably well?

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this but I'm ordering a Mac Pro one of the 2019 models here:

• 256GB SSD storage
  • Magic Mouse 2

Is this thing compatible with Index and Steam? Would it run the game reasonably well?
Not many VR games are even made for the MAC. I wouldnt get a Mac book pro expecting to use (much)VR anytime soon...

Santini

Oct 25, 2017

• 256GB SSD storage
  • Magic Mouse 2

Here are the Valve Index system requirements.

You're going to need Windows 10 or SteamOS + Linux. No mention of the Mac OS.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried Lone Echo? Does it work well?

I'm playing through Lone Echo right now. Plays great for me. Only issue I had was turning on the flashlight and visor, but after searching around, this isn't just a WMR issue. It's a very particular spot lol. Outside of that it's been fantastic. Best VR experience I've had to date.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Thanks guys!
Dang I need a new editing machine and was hoping to kill two birds with one stone

unless you really need a Mac and need FCPX, you'd be much better served saving over $2000 and getting a more powerful Windows PC built around AMD's Threadripper CPUs and an RTX 2080ti GPU.

the base spec of the Mac Pro ships with the lower midrange 580x GPU and minuscule storage space.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Can you mix and match devices or no? Like, could I have an Odyssey headset, but use the Valve Index controllers?

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
I don't know what it is, but the tracking is atrocious for me. The headset will glitch position back and forth, controllers will appear 10 ft away, and I'll get the lost room boundary notification constantly. I'm guessing this is part of the downfalls of WMR vs the other headsets?

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what it is, but the tracking is atrocious for me. The headset will glitch position back and forth, controllers will appear 10 ft away, and I'll get the lost room boundary notification constantly. I'm guessing this is part of the downfalls of WMR vs the other headsets?
Are you BIOS up to date? is the room you're in too well lit? I didnt have much issue with tracking with my odessey+ other than when it went above the cameras

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
unless you really need a Mac and need FCPX, you'd be much better served saving over $2000 and getting a more powerful Windows PC built around AMD's Threadripper CPUs and an RTX 2080ti GPU.

the base spec of the Mac Pro ships with the lower midrange 580x GPU and minuscule storage space.

I know the ecosystem just works pretty flawlessly with my setup. I was on a much more powerful Windows machine about 4 years ago and we were using Cinema 4D and Nuke. We switched to all Pros and even though they were technically weaker they outperformed the PCs so much it was crazy. Still I really need to think about it cause its so redundant having two machines.

Oct 27, 2017
The VR Cover for this finally arrived and...I can't say I'm impressed with it at all and definitely wouldn't recommend it. Everyone is different concerning comfort, head shape/size, etc but I might as well just thrown money in the trash. I'm not sure why anyone would want this as a replacement for what shipped with the Odyssey+. I would only consider it if you really, really don't like the feel of the regular version. If you are Ok with the regular version then steer clear as this product isn't likely to offer an improvement of any sort.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Hmm. So whats peoples impressions? I'm a PSVR owner, but considering getting this to access the PCVR exclusives. I don't think I can justify that Valve Index cost . . .

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. So whats peoples impressions? I'm a PSVR owner, but considering getting this to access the PCVR exclusives. I don't think I can justify that Valve Index cost . . .
A lot of impression in the thread. It a very good headset, but The tracking and controllers are lacking. I returned mine and got a Rift S. It's pretty solid.

The VR Cover for this finally arrived and...I can't say I'm impressed with it at all and definitely wouldn't recommend it. Everyone is different concerning comfort, head shape/size, etc but I might as well just thrown money in the trash. I'm not sure why anyone would want this as a replacement for what shipped with the Odyssey+. I would only consider it if you really, really don't like the feel of the regular version. If you are Ok with the regular version then steer clear as this product isn't likely to offer an improvement of any sort.

I got min last week after I already returned my headset. Anyone on here want a free VR Cover? I dont need it and no returns from what I can tell

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I was in the same boat as you before - PSVR owner and usually borrowing a PCVR set for anything from work. Couldn't justify the price of the Index for purely entertainment, but the Odyssey+ sale really helped tip me over.

Compared to my work's Rift sets, the tracking is worse in the sense that the controllers can get lost when it's not in view of the headset. Secondly, the controller rings are big, so any games with precise movements bringing the controllers together can be compromised (H3VR did this to me for physical reloading actions).

That said, I'm used to PSVR tracking, so it's better than those when it comes to the actual controllers in view, like when the Moves are in front of the PS4 camera. Once you move the controllers behind your back though... lost line of sight.

The majority of what I've played usually keeps your hands in front of you though so I didn't consider it that bad, and for what I paid I'm okay with it for now. The high fidelity of the Index sounds tempting but it felt like a luxury I couldn't go for at the moment, when all I really wanted was PCVR access. If you even consider anything outside of gaming for VR, I don't even think that level of interaction is needed.

My work is design-related so rudimentary PCVR was enough for me, which is still more helpful than only relying on traditional flat screens.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan. Haven't had any issues with tracking unless I put the controllers behind my head for some weird reason.

Well, my controllers go all wacky if I try to play anything without the lights on. That might be a thing with VR in general though?