• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would work well using Revive? That's what the OP says, anyway.
It's 3 layers of fuckery (you have to run the vive store, through the steam home, through the windows mixed reality service) and I've never once gotten a playable experience from it. Could get in game, but there was always some controller issue.

Lots of people have gotten it to work, and you may too, just don't plan on it. Plenty of content between WMR and steamVR, I've never felt truly starved for VR content.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best VR headset if you are a glasses wearer? I can't take them off while wearing the headset or I will be blind.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the Microsoft Store will give a refund on a Samsung Odyssey+ after opening and using it? The local store has one in stock with an extended return policy into January. Much rather do that than Amazon.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
People should be careful about the recommendations they post here, imo. For the price this is definitely a good deal, but even now it's still a "you get what you pay for" scenario. Windows mixed reality still has compatibilty issues with some games and its standard for tracking is by far the worse option. The Rift S is likely to drop to 350 permanently pretty soon and that is definitely a better deal, imo. Better tracking, better comfort, better compatibility, access to Oculus exclusives without Revive (revive isn't always perfect, for example Stormland didn't work for a while after launch and I'm not sure it's perfect yet). The controllers are also significantly better.

If you already have a good PC, it would be a bad move to go for a markedly lower quality VR experience for just ~$100 less, imo. The ~400 dollar headsets are still the most cost effective right now. Oculus Quest + Link has the most versatility and therefore may be the best for some, although it doesn't do PC quite as good as something like the S.

Disclaimer though (Vr has lots of them) that Rift S doesn't have a manual IPD (inter pupilary distance) so if your eyes are really close or far it will be a little blurry.

TLDR: if you want to make the right choice, do your research.

Would a 970 do Alyx VR?

Minimum specs for GPU is a 1060 with 6gb of VRAM, so unfortunately the 970 is a little below minimum specs.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What is the best VR headset if you are a glasses wearer? I can't take them off while wearing the headset or I will be blind.
Some headsets have eye relief - they can move the faceplate further from the eyes, giving more room for glasses. For example, Valve Index and Vive/Vive Pro. However, what I like better, you can get prescription lens inserts for VR headsets, it puts prescription lenses right in front of the headset lenses, so you take off your glasses and put on the headset.

You can get inserts from https://vr-lens-lab.com and https://widmovr.com

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Yes? I said it will work with Revive. That's true. I didn't say it would always work well or that you would have no issues.

I know, but the other poster was implying that it wasn't worth anyone's time to even bother with it, which seems to heavily contrast with the enthusiastic tone in your OP.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know, but the other poster was implying that it wasn't worth anyone's time to even bother with it, which seems to heavily contrast with the enthusiastic tone in your OP.

I would agree with that user, it is not worth anyone's time.

I recommend getting corrected lenses from vroptician.com. I have them for Index and it's great.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If you already have a good PC, it would be a bad move to go for a markedly lower quality VR experience for just ~$100 less, imo. The ~400 dollar headsets are still the most cost effective right now. Oculus Quest + Link has the most versatility and therefore may be the best for some, although it doesn't do PC quite as good as something like the S.
If you plan on it being a permanent solution you know you'll enjoy, sure. But 400 is a lot to spend on something you're not sure you'll like. I don't think anyone has said WMR is the ideal solution, and there has been an abundance of users that have gone over their cons... But it's not like the $400 headsets don't have their own set of compromises.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I can't comment on the inside out tracking of the odyssey plus, but I can comment on the Oculus Rift S.

Its inside out tracking is more than fine and I have yet to run into a situation where the inside out tracking felt compromised, even with very active room scale style games. The Rift S has two on the front two on the sides aiming slightly down, and one on the top for overhead tracking.

and for anyone coming from PSVR. It's a HUUUUUUUGE upgrade in tracking. The Oculus Touch controllers are surprisingly great and versatile.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If you plan on it being a permanent solution you know you'll enjoy, sure. But 400 is a lot to spend on something you're not sure you'll like. I don't think anyone has said WMR is the ideal solution, and there has been an abundance of users that have gone over their cons... But it's not like the $400 headsets don't have their own set of compromises.

I've returned VR headsets. I'm sure most people can if they don't like them. It's just my opinion if you go for the budget buy and lesser experience, then that's going to color your experience of VR as a whole. And to be honest if you don't like a Rift or the Quest, then you're probably definitely not going to like the Odyssey.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People should be careful about the recommendations they post here, imo. For the price this is definitely a good deal, but even now it's still a "you get what you pay for" scenario. Windows mixed reality still has compatibilty issues with some games and its standard for tracking is by far the worse option. The Rift S is likely to drop to 350 permanently pretty soon and that is definitely a better deal, imo. Better tracking, better comfort, better compatibility, access to Oculus exclusives without Revive (revive isn't always perfect, for example Stormland didn't work for a while after launch and I'm not sure it's perfect yet). The controllers are also significantly better.

Disclaimer though (Vr has lots of them) that Rift S doesn't have a manual IPD (inter pupilary distance) so if your eyes are really close or far it will be a little blurry.

TLDR: if you want to make the right choice, do your research.

Minimum specs for GPU is a 1060 with 6gb of VRAM, so unfortunately the 970 is a little below minimum specs.

Exactly. The Odyssey+, on the other hand, has it.

From what I'm reading there is no perfect headset when you take into account the shortcomings of each and the relative prices.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

You're right, and I can't claim to be able to quantify the difference, my point is simply that WMR is the known weaker VR solutions overall. That extra 100-150 bucks gives a clear hardware advantage, and will result in a better user experience, which VR in general has a lot of work to do on. Tracking/compatibility issues will just add to the list of VR's UX issues, and could potentially steer people away from buying into the technology, i.e. playing more than just HL: Alyx.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I've been salivating over this headset for months. It's got the perfect price, and now with the discount I can't wait to buy it.

Unfortunately I can't quite afford it yet, going to have to save up a bit to be able to afford it + shipping + import. I hope the discount/pricedrop stays through December.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Eh, I've thought it over and I'm probably still going to buy the Rift S next week.

- It's effectively cheaper, and it's going to be even more so on BF (When I consider that I'll eventually want that long Oculus Link cable for Quest instead of the short cheap ones)
- The Quest is heavier due to batteries. (Do we know if the Oculus Link cable will even power/charge it during play?)
- I don't want to have to worry about charging it before I play it or keeping it charged, or the battery going bad because I didn't play another VR game for months after I finished Alyx
- I'll never use it outside the game room anyway
- The cord never bothered me with PSVR
- The increased lag and drop in visuals while using the cable with the Quest compared with the S, however slight, will bother me because I know they exist

Do I have my reasoning wrong?
This is a similar calculus to mine that I ended up coming to the same conclusion. Oculus Link is still experimental, lower refresh rate, and being as I use this in my living room and not some dedicated room VR setup, I need to be able to use a long reliable cable. I can't trust that the experimental feature will pan out perfectly.

Then there is the comfortability factor. The halo design on the Rift S is much more comfortable and evenly distributes the weight on your head, where the quest is strap based and heavier.

Just seemed that for my purposes, the Rift S makes more sense.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Exactly. The Odyssey+, on the other hand, has it.

From what I'm reading there is no perfect headset when you take into account the shortcomings of each and the relative prices.

True, but not all issues are created equal. Tracking and compatibility issues will affect all users, IPD will only affect a minority. I've also read testimonies that the acceptable IPD range of the S is even higher than the official specs listed by Oculus, so you have to be a significant outlier for it to be an issue.

Alexious

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
True, but not all issues are created equal. Tracking and compatibility issues will affect all users, IPD will only affect a minority.

Right, but if you are in that spectrum then the IPD issue is basically a dealbreaker. Even Palmer Luckey voiced his disappointment as the first Oculus had better compatibility in this regard. Also, the Oculus Rift S has a 10Hz lower refresh rate, while the Quest is even worse (18Hz lower compared to the Odyssey+) and from what I understand this could impact motion sickness as well. It's not exactly a clear-cut choice.

rObit

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say I appreciate these threads for opening up this discussion because this is all kind of a headache to think through on one's own, and even if I come to my own solution that is different than OP's suggestion, the thread is still immensely helpful.

I think I'll probably jump on the Rift S for Black Friday, that sounds like a damn good deal for someone who is just fed up with trying to troubleshoot compatibility issues (I've tried on and off to get my PSVR to work on PC with that software and the results have always been inconsistent and fiddly) The lower refresh rate bums me out, but I think I would rather have slightly lower refresh rate but better tracking, rather than slightly higher refresh rate on the Odyssey+ but worse tracking.

The IPD issue mentioned above is definitely worrisome, but hopefully since the PSVR pretty much just worked for me out of the box, I'll be okay with the Rift S.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Right, but if you are in that spectrum then the IPD issue is basically a dealbreaker. Even Palmer Luckey voiced his disappointment as the first Oculus had better compatibility in this regard. Also, the Oculus Rift S has a 10Hz lower refresh rate, while the Quest is even worse (18Hz lower compared to the Odyssey+) and from what I understand this could impact motion sickness as well. It's not exactly a clear-cut choice.

Fair enough. Which brings me back to the point that VR hardware differences are complex enough to where people need to do some research before they buy. An hour or two of sifting out what is best for you is the best way not to do yourself a disfavor.

As someone who has tried lots of headsets and owns a CV1, I will say that from first hand experience, bad tracking is a big one. The CV1 tracking solution was pretty subpar on Touch launch, and it was a total gamebreaker. They fixed it over a few months and the difference was absolutely huge (especially for shooters where fine aim matters). Inside out tracking is objectively worse right now when doing certain actions (controller over controller occlusion, behind the back occlusion), so it's really hard for me to see people recommend an even less ideal version of that.

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Fair enough. Which brings me back to the point that VR hardware differences are complex enough to where people need to do some research before they buy. An hour or two of sifting out what is best for you is the best way not to do yourself a disfavor.

As someone who has tried lots of headsets and owns a CV1, I will say that from first hand experience, bad tracking is a big one. The CV1 tracking solution was pretty subpar on Touch launch, and it was a total gamebreaker. They fixed it over a few months and the difference was absolutely huge. Inside out tracking is objectively worse right now when doing certain actions (controller over controller occlusion, behind the back occlusion), so it's really hard for me to see people recommend an even less ideal version of that.
My experience with Rift S inside out tracking has been extremely good. I haven't run into any issues so far even when playing games that require me to put my arms to my sides and in weird positions. Maybe its because I purchased it after a lot of updates had already been done, but my takeaway impressions have been that I'd have to actively try to break the tracking for it to be a problem, but would rare to never be an issue in normal game usage. Coming from PSVR it is a HUUUUGE upgrade in tracking.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
My experience with Rift S inside out tracking has been extremely good. I haven't run into any issues so far even when playing games that require me to put my arms to my sides and in weird positions. Maybe its because I purchased it after a lot of updates had already been done, but my takeaway impressions have been that I'd have to actively try to break the tracking for it to be a problem, but would rare to never be an issue in normal game usage. Coming from PSVR it is a HUUUUGE upgrade in tracking.

Yes it's very good. My friend has an S and he rarely has issues, however he did have one every once in a while playing Pavlov VR with me where you have to ADS constantly, which causes one controller/hand to be in front of the other. Luckily in that game you can use a virtual stock which uses the buttstock of the weapon as a 3rd point of contact making things more stable. The Rift S is definitely acceptable in most situations....but it has 5 cameras (and had John Carmack ironing). WMR has 2 (and no John Carmack). It's still better than PSVR though.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Inside out tracking is objectively worse right now when doing certain actions (controller over controller occlusion, behind the back occlusion), so it's really hard for me to see people recommend an even less ideal version of that.
That's not the case anymore, not controller-over-controller, both Oculus and WMR have fixed the issue. As for behind our back, very few games have you put your controller behind your back (Rift S is able to track a ways behind your head).

Here's a video showing the controller tracking for HP Reverb (Windows MR), Rift S, and Vive Cosmos (the loser of the bunch by far):

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
That's not the case anymore, not controller-over-controller, both Oculus and WMR have fixed the issue. As for behind our back, very few games have you put your controller behind your back (Rift S is able to track a ways behind your head).

Hm, well my buddy had the issues recently, although that's a 1 person sample size so maybe it doesn't mean much. I was aware of the fix, but I figured it wasn't perfect. What seemed to be happening specifically was my friend would turn while aiming and he would get small "skips" where the guns aim would suddenly move to a slightly different spot. As far as I'm aware, the esports VR shooter players still vastly prefer outside-in tracking for this reason.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yes it's very good. My friend has an S and he rarely has issues, however he did have one every once in a while playing Pavlov VR with me where you have to ADS constantly, which causes one controller/hand to be in front of the other. Luckily in that game you can use a virtual stock which uses the buttstock of the weapon as a 3rd point of contact making things more stable. The Rift S is definitely acceptable in most situations....but it has 5 cameras (and had John Carmack ironing). WMR has 2 (and no John Carmack). It's still better than PSVR though.
Sorry, I thought you were specifically referring to Rift S and not WMR's.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys have just scared me off from buying something now and just to wait.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys have just scared me off from buying something now and just to wait.
Honestly, this isn't a wrong choice. These are still first gen consumer products. Index is closest, but at it's price tag, I'd still consider that an expensive dev unit for future VR hardware than true consumer hardware.

Next gen will have wireless VR sets, better screens, knuckle type or glove controllers standard, and hopefully at a reasonable price from the get go.

Initial impressions after receiving Odyssey+
OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, got my Odyssey+ today. So far I've tried The Lab, Beat Saber, and a bit of No Man's Sky. Here's my initial, early impressions of the headset.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase, wow! This is a revelation. Really great, high quality display. Lovely colors, spectacular contrast and deep blacks typical of Samsung's excellent displays. No screen door effect at all. Zero issues so far with the controllers or the tracking. Aiming feels good. Only way I can get the tracking to break is by putting it literally directly on my face or way behind my back. No jitter, no wobble. Perfectly responsive with Beat Saber, absolutely zero issues there, and perfect with Longbow as well. Excited to try more shooters. It's funny how hyperbolic some people have been about the MR controllers and tracking. The controllers feel good in the hands. The plastic itself feels a little cheap, but the buttons and sticks feel good. Overall build quality very similar to something like a DualShock 4.

I have a huge head, so I had to remove the back padding on mine but with that off, it fits me fine. Glad I didn't go with the Rift S, as that has no physical IPD adjustment and the supported IPD range wouldn't work with my face. Comfort is good with the VR cover although the velcro straps don't really work for me and aren't really needed anyway, I may tinker with them if it's needed at any point. Definitely go for the VR cover though, as the stock facial interface isn't great and seems hard to clean. Setup with the Windows MR app was incredibly easy.

Gonna try some games with Revive and Viveport later, but right now I just can't stop playing Beat Saber. This is gonna be a great HMD for Alyx. Love this OLED. And the sound through the AKG headphones is fantastic too! Genuinely the only issue I've had right now is that my face gets sweaty and can fog up the display in between rounds of Beat Saber or Longbow, but that's an issue with all HMDs, not just this one.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about the Odyssey+ and my experience with it, and I'll report back when I get around to messing with Revive. I wanna play more Beat Saber, lol

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I also removed the back padding, and picked up a headstrap from studioform. Things have been very comfortable ever since.

Oct 28, 2017

Ah but then you get into the concept that the Rift S LCD has low persistence compared to Odyssey+ OLED which improves the experience outside of the refresh rate. Or the fact that the RGB stripe of the Rift S LCD is clearer in most comparison videos than the Odyssey+ with its kinda screen blurring "anti-SDE" technology.

But then someone could point out the much better contrast and more vibrant colors of the Samsung device. Or the much better sound quality. Or the larger FOV.

But then again the Oculus has much much better controllers with much better tracking, a much better software ecosystem and GUI, and support going forward a few years.

You got it right when you said VR is all about trade offs. There is no obvious choice, hell even the mighty Index isn't as good with sims as the HP Reverb so it isn't like if you spend enough the answer is clear. It comes down to the games you want to play.

Oct 27, 2017
So, got my Odyssey+ today. So far I've tried The Lab, Beat Saber, and a bit of No Man's Sky. Here's my initial, early impressions of the headset.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase, wow! This is a revelation. Really great, high quality display. Lovely colors, spectacular contrast and deep blacks typical of Samsung's excellent displays. No screen door effect at all. Zero issues so far with the controllers or the tracking. Aiming feels good. Only way I can get the tracking to break is by putting it literally directly on my face or way behind my back. No jitter, no wobble. Perfectly responsive with Beat Saber, absolutely zero issues there, and perfect with Longbow as well. Excited to try more shooters. It's funny how hyperbolic some people have been about the MR controllers and tracking. The controllers feel good in the hands. The plastic itself feels a little cheap, but the buttons and sticks feel good. Overall build quality very similar to something like a DualShock 4.

I have a huge head, so I had to remove the back padding on mine but with that off, it fits me fine. Glad I didn't go with the Rift S, as that has no physical IPD adjustment and the supported IPD range wouldn't work with my face. Comfort is good with the VR cover although the velcro straps don't really work for me and aren't really needed anyway, I may tinker with them if it's needed at any point. Definitely go for the VR cover though, as the stock facial interface isn't great and seems hard to clean. Setup with the Windows MR app was incredibly easy.

Gonna try some games with Revive and Viveport later, but right now I just can't stop playing Beat Saber. This is gonna be a great HMD for Alyx. Love this OLED. And the sound through the AKG headphones is fantastic too! Genuinely the only issue I've had right now is that my face gets sweaty and can fog up the display in between rounds of Beat Saber or Longbow, but that's an issue with all HMDs, not just this one.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about the Odyssey+ and my experience with it, and I'll report back when I get around to messing with Revive. I wanna play more Beat Saber, lol
Well, this is what I wanted to hear as I was getting a bit nervous in reading the thread since I ordered mine. I just hope it's a decent option for Half-Life as that's really my main purpose of getting it although I'll surely dabble with some other games as well before the release of HL: Alyx.

Are you saying we should order different pads, etc compared to what comes with it for comfort purposes? FWIW, I'll need to wear glasses (I realize everyone is going to be different for obvious reasons, just looking for a best guess concerning if there is room for comfort while wearing glasses).

I'm assuming this is what you're talking about...

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is using a ÂŁ200 headset going to be enjoyable though? What's the difference between a good ÂŁ1000 one?

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, this is what I wanted to hear as I was getting a bit nervous in reading the thread since I ordered mine. I just hope it's a decent option for Half-Life as that's really my main purpose of getting it although I'll surely dabble with some other games as well before the release of HL: Alyx.

Are you saying we should order different pads, etc compared to what comes with it for comfort purposes? FWIW, I'll need to wear glasses.
Sure thing! And yeah, you should definitely get the replacement pad. Here's the face covers I have. It comes with two pads for $39, I think you can get them a little less expensive if you order directly from the VR Cover website rather than Amazon.

I'm sure this will be a great option for Half Life. Just finished another Beat Saber session and it's been a blast. Absolutely zero tracking issues so far, but I want to test more shooters. But I'm surprised how seamless it's been.
Is using a ÂŁ200 headset going to be enjoyable though? What's the difference between a good ÂŁ1000 one?
So the biggest difference between this and Index is tracking. They both use high-quality displays with the same resolution (Samsung AMOLED which has better contrast and black levels vs RGB LCD, which has more subpixels), although the Index has a higher refresh rate (90hz vs 120hz).

But the Index has much more intricate tracking system. The Odyssey+ has inside-out tracking, which essentially means it can only track your hand movements when your hands are in front of you or to your sides. If your hands are behind your back, the controllers lose tracking. In addition, the Index has special "knuckle" controllers which can track your finger movements, whereas the Odyssey+ just has a controller with buttons and analog sticks. I haven't experienced a game yet where I have to put my hands behind my back, but I'm sure there are some cases where you have to do that and losing tracking would be frustrating. I have to say though: I'm super impressed with the Odyssey+! It's a genuinely great experience and basically a steal at this price. It's original price is $500, but Samsung didn't really market it and it just hasn't taken off or sold very well compared to the more well-known headsets like the Oculus or HTC. Don't think this is a low-end experience just because it's $230. It's genuinely quite a good mid-range VR setup. And if you ever want that better tracking, you could always buy the base stations and the Valve controllers at some point down the line, although it's super expensive to do that right now.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sure thing! And yeah, you should definitely get the replacement pad. Here's the face covers I have. It comes with two pads for $39, I think you can get them a little less expensive if you order directly from the VR Cover website rather than Amazon.

I'm sure this will be a great option for Half Life. Just finished another Beat Saber session and it's been a blast. Absolutely zero tracking issues so far, but I want to test more shooters. But I'm surprised how seamless it's been.

So the biggest difference between this and Index is tracking. They both use high-quality displays with the same resolution (Samsung AMOLED which has better contrast and black levels vs RGB LCD, which has more subpixels), although the Index has a higher refresh rate (90hz vs 120hz).

But the Index has much more intricate tracking system. The Odyssey+ has inside-out tracking, which essentially means it can only track your hand movements when your hands are in front of you or to your sides. If your hands are behind your back, the controllers lose tracking. In addition, the Index has special "knuckle" controllers which can track your finger movements, whereas the Odyssey+ just has a controller with buttons and analog sticks. I haven't experienced a game yet where I have to put my hands behind my back, but I'm sure there are some cases where you have to do that and losing tracking would be frustrating. I have to say though: I'm super impressed with the Odyssey+! It's a genuinely great experience and basically a steal at this price. It's original price is $500, but Samsung didn't really market it and it just hasn't taken off or sold very well compared to the more well-known headsets like the Oculus or HTC. Don't think this is a low-end experience just because it's $230. It's genuinely quite a good mid-range VR setup. And if you ever want that better tracking, you could always buy the base stations and the Valve controllers at some point down the line, although it's super expensive to do that right now.

Thanks for the explanation. I looked at the Odyssey and it seems to be hard to find in the UK.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. I looked at the Odyssey and it seems to be hard to find in the UK.
It's also worth looking at the Rift S for PC or the Quest if you also want the portable/mobile VR features as well as PC. It's a bit more expensive, but still really affordable compared to the Index and it has better controllers

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
It's not normally sold by Samsung in Europe, that's why. But we can import it at a reasonable price via Amazon or B&H.

Not going through import hell as someone who has imported hardware from USA to Germany. Had dozens of terrible experiences imeven with low value items like a simple t-shirt. Also the tax is ridiculously high and warrenty is out of the question if anything happens.

I really hope that they consider releasing it (maybe with improvements) or already working on a sequel to it with a europe release. MS also hopefully plans to release a major update to their vr software to add at least support for more than 2 tracking cameras (would heavily improve tracking and are one of the bigger flaws of the Oddysee +).

Would be pretty insane if both Samsung and MS do not work on a major vr updates right now.

So many people want to buy a excellent vr set for HL Alyx with a reasonable budget of under 350€.

I think the sweet spot is releasing a Oddysee 2 with a launch price of 300€. With better tracking and more improvements it would be one of the best vr sets for the budget and especially for HL Alyx and most other games.

Last edited:

Alexious

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not going through import hell as someone from Germany. Had dozens of terrible experiences even with low value items like a t-shirt. Also the tax is ridiculously high and warrenty is out of the question if anything happens.

I really hope that they consider releasing it (maybe with improvements) or already working on a sequel to it with a europe release. MS also hopefully plans to release a major update to their vr system to add more than 2 tracking cameras (would heavily improve tracking and are one of the bigger flaws of the Oddysee +).

Actually the custom duty isn't that high via B&H. It's only $12.28, what's more expensive is VAT which comes in at $60 or so.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Odyssey+ over the weekend and spent several hours setting it up and playing games. I own a PSVR and have played on a friend's first-gen HTC Vive, so this is not my first VR rodeo. My main reason in getting a PC VR headset was to be able to partake in a wider variety of current and upcoming VR titles and experiences like Boneworks and Half-Life: Alyx.

Positives:
  • Cost
  • Image Quality
  • Manual IPD Adjustment
  • Tracking
  • Gaming Experience
After taxes, my total for the headset was $276.98; I factored in the cost of a set of 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion AA batteries that I didn't have otherwise. Spec-wise, the Odyssey+ is better in many categories over its lower-priced WMR counterparts as well as the higher-cost Oculus offerings. It also doesn't cost $999. That being said, there are some trade-offs which make the higher cost VR headset options still worth considering.

Visually, what I see in the HMD when something is running looks great. The OLED produces some vibrant colors and the black levels are very good. Elite: Dangerous looks fantastic. The wide FOV works well for simulation/vehicle type games such as Project Cars 2. I have no complaints in regards to the image quality as there was nothing glaringly and obviously terrible to my eyes. If you're only used to mobile VR and/or PSVR, this will be quite the visual upgrade in many games.

Though I'm closer to the average when it comes to IPD, I appreciate how you can adjust it manually instead of plugging in numbers into software and seeing if the value works.

I like how I don't have to set up any lighthouses or cameras. There were no real tracking issues with the majority of the games I played, and only one of them, Sairento VR, had a "reaching behind your back" type of motion where the controller would leave the headset cameras' sight. The game was still playable, though the default bindings needed some work. Handling the bow in The Lab's Longbow game felt good. The most intense, controller movement heavy game I played was Sprint Vector, and I had no problems with that aside from not being very good at it.

The overall PC VR gaming experience has been enjoyable. I've played the following games so far: Arizona Sunshine, Dirt Rally, Project Cars 2, Elite: Dangerous, Payday 2, The Lab, Sprint Vector, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Superhot VR, Sairento VR, Fruit Ninja, Touring Karts, Gun Club VR, and Synth Riders. With the right in-game settings, controller mappings, and with super sampling turned up, they generally all played well and looked nice on the Odyssey+, especially the simulation/cockpit/vehicle games. With what's currently available and on the horizon, I'm glad to have finally gotten a PC-based VR headset.

Negatives:
  • Initial Setup
  • Boundary System
  • WMR Controllers
  • Headset Comfort
  • Bugs
I had issues fitting the HDMI cable leading out of the headset into my RTX 2070 Super's HDMI port, which had recently been used to drive a secondary display. I've looked this up and though it's not common, others have had issues with the Samsung cable.

The boundary system is serviceable. The Oculus Quest/Rift S both have a much better implemented boundary system in place compared to the WMR system; the headset cameras turning on when breaking through the boundary is something that should be standard with non lighthouse-based VR headsets. I've only ever had one VR-related accident, and would prefer to keep it that way. Anyhow, pushing the Windows and grip button activates a "flashlight" feature that shows you what the left camera sees/what you're pointing at, but you have to manually activate that instead of it kicking in on time to prevent mishaps.

The WMR controllers are okay, but my main issue is with mapping. Each controller has a thumbstick, touchpad, trigger, grip button, menu button, and windows button. This is going to be game-dependent, but I've spent a fair amount of time rebinding controls to get them just right, and/or looking up Steam Community-made bindings. Unfortunately, the left and right thumbstick click buttons are mapped to the system button, which brings up the SteamVR interface. It may be possible to change this via some text editing, but I haven't tried it yet. If a game on Steam doesn't have WMR support listed, even if it ran, the controls just might not be ideal. This obviously isn't an issue in games that use a gamepad, HOTAS flight stick, or steering wheel, or in games with simpler control schemes like Beat Saber or Superhot VR.

Comfort-wise, the Odyssey+ is not great. As someone who wears glasses, I find my PSVR headset much more comfortable as well as a bit easier to put on in comparison. If you don't wear glasses, this is probably a non-issue to you. I've had to adjust the Odyssey+ every now and then during play. Sometimes it feels right, while other times it feels a bit too snug or "off". Again, could be my glasses, so that's on me, but the PSVR has shown that you can get it right in this department; Samsung could have done better here, but it's a tradeoff for the HMD quality I guess. I get why people mod this device with homebrew or aftermarket foam and straps.

While I actually like the built-in headphones, audio isn't on the positive column due to a terrible bug. Unless you plug in the Odyssey+ USB cable into a powered USB hub or a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port on your motherboard as well as make adjustments to your Windows audio/sound settings, you will sometimes either have momentary audio dropouts or worse, static/white noise playing over the headphones. I've learned that this is a widespread WMR headset issue. Here's an idea of how it sounds.

So as it stands, while I'm glad to finally own a PC VR headset, the negative tradeoffs for this one, or at least any WMR-based headsets, have me considering the other available options.

I'm going to give the Odyssey+ some more time over the holiday weekend. Initial setup and boundary issues aside, my concerns are with how comfortable (or not) the headset will be over time, if I can get over WMR controller rebinding/game compatibility, and if the static audio bug is gone for good. While the first two can be dealt with in some way, given that I've done what I can on my end, if the audio issue does pop up again, I'll definitely be returning the headset.

Alexious

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I got the Odyssey+ over the weekend and spent several hours setting it up and playing games. I own a PSVR and have played on a friend's first-gen HTC Vive, so this is not my first VR rodeo. My main reason in getting a PC VR headset was to be able to partake in a wider variety of current and upcoming VR titles and experiences like Boneworks and Half-Life: Alyx.

Positives:
  • Cost
  • Image Quality
  • Manual IPD Adjustment
  • Tracking
  • Gaming Experience
After taxes, my total for the headset was $276.98; I factored in the cost of a set of 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion AA batteries that I didn't have otherwise. Spec-wise, the Odyssey+ is better in many categories over its lower-priced WMR counterparts as well as the higher-cost Oculus offerings. It also doesn't cost $999. That being said, there are some trade-offs which make the higher cost VR headset options still worth considering.

Visually, what I see in the HMD when something is running looks great. The OLED produces some vibrant colors and the black levels are very good. Elite: Dangerous looks fantastic. The wide FOV works well for simulation/vehicle type games such as Project Cars 2. I have no complaints in regards to the image quality as there was nothing glaringly and obviously terrible to my eyes. If you're only used to mobile VR and/or PSVR, this will be quite the visual upgrade in many games.

Though I'm closer to the average when it comes to IPD, I appreciate how you can adjust it manually instead of plugging in numbers into software and seeing if the value works.

I like how I don't have to set up any lighthouses or cameras. There were no real tracking issues with the majority of the games I played, and only one of them, Sairento VR, had a "reaching behind your back" type of motion where the controller would leave the headset cameras' sight. The game was still playable, though the default bindings needed some work. Handling the bow in The Lab's Longbow game felt good. The most intense, controller movement heavy game I played was Sprint Vector, and I had no problems with that aside from not being very good at it.

The overall PC VR gaming experience has been enjoyable. I've played the following games so far: Arizona Sunshine, Dirt Rally, Project Cars 2, Elite: Dangerous, Payday 2, The Lab, Sprint Vector, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Superhot VR, Sairento VR, Fruit Ninja, Touring Karts, Gun Club VR, and Synth Riders. With the right in-game settings, controller mappings, and with super sampling turned up, they generally all played well and looked nice on the Odyssey+, especially the simulation/cockpit/vehicle games. With what's currently available and on the horizon, I'm glad to have finally gotten a PC-based VR headset.

Negatives:
  • Initial Setup
  • Boundary System
  • WMR Controllers
  • Headset Comfort
  • Bugs
I had issues fitting the HDMI cable leading out of the headset into my RTX 2070 Super's HDMI port, which had recently been used to drive a secondary display. I've looked this up and though it's not common, others have had issues with the Samsung cable.

The boundary system is serviceable. The Oculus Quest/Rift S both have a much better implemented boundary system in place compared to the WMR system; the headset cameras turning on when breaking through the boundary is something that should be standard with non lighthouse-based VR headsets. I've only ever had one VR-related accident, and would prefer to keep it that way. Anyhow, pushing the Windows and grip button activates a "flashlight" feature that shows you what the left camera sees/what you're pointing at, but you have to manually activate that instead of it kicking in on time to prevent mishaps.

The WMR controllers are okay, but my main issue is with mapping. Each controller has a thumbstick, touchpad, trigger, grip button, menu button, and windows button. This is going to be game-dependent, but I've spent a fair amount of time rebinding controls to get them just right, and/or looking up Steam Community-made bindings. Unfortunately, the left and right thumbstick click buttons are mapped to the system button, which brings up the SteamVR interface. It may be possible to change this via some text editing, but I haven't tried it yet. If a game on Steam doesn't have WMR support listed, even if it ran, the controls just might not be ideal. This obviously isn't an issue in games that use a gamepad, HOTAS flight stick, or steering wheel, or in games with simpler control schemes like Beat Saber or Superhot VR.

Comfort-wise, the Odyssey+ is not great. As someone who wears glasses, I find my PSVR headset much more comfortable as well as a bit easier to put on in comparison. If you don't wear glasses, this is probably a non-issue to you. I've had to adjust the Odyssey+ every now and then during play. Sometimes it feels right, while other times it feels a bit too snug or "off". Again, could be my glasses, so that's on me, but the PSVR has shown that you can get it right in this department; Samsung could have done better here, but it's a tradeoff for the HMD quality I guess. I get why people mod this device with homebrew or aftermarket foam and straps.

While I actually like the built-in headphones, audio isn't on the positive column due to a terrible bug. Unless you plug in the Odyssey+ USB cable into a powered USB hub or a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port on your motherboard as well as make adjustments to your Windows audio/sound settings, you will sometimes either have momentary audio dropouts or worse, static/white noise playing over the headphones. I've learned that this is a widespread WMR headset issue. Here's an idea of how it sounds.

So as it stands, while I'm glad to finally own a PC VR headset, the negative tradeoffs for this one, or at least any WMR-based headsets, have me considering the other available options.

I'm going to give the Odyssey+ some more time over the holiday weekend. Initial setup and boundary issues aside, my concerns are with how comfortable (or not) the headset will be over time, if I can get over WMR controller rebinding/game compatibility, and if the static audio bug is gone for good. While the first two can be dealt with in some way, given that I've done what I can on my end, if the audio issue does pop up again, I'll definitely be returning the headset.

I would recommend you to head to the WindowsMR subreddit for more help. I'm pretty sure the controller rebinding and game compatibility can be tweaked and I've also read that some users have replaced the standard foam with this one which is reportedly more comfortable.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I had decided to get this....then I decided to go with the Quest, 100%.....now I'm back looking at the Odyssey+ again.

Sigh.

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of VR games on sale right now on Steam...

Skyrim - $18
Fallout 4 - $18 (I guess this one is exclusive and not available for WMR?)
Serious Sam Collection $16

...just to name a few of the more full-fledged titles. Not sure what the experience is like with any of these on the Odyssey+ but it's tempting to find out.

Last edited: