• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Problem solved. Thanks for all the responses. A mod can close this thread please.

Hello, my Mom's laptop has kept getting this blue screen sometimes to restart for a few months now. But it happens maybe the first time you start the computer and after restarting it usually works fine.

1200px-Bsodwindows10.png

I decided to do a clean install for Windows so I backed everything up and downloaded the Windows download tool to create installation media on a USB drive.

mct-usb-flash-drive-windows-10.jpg

Then when I do Windows setup and install from the flash drive I delete all the partions so only one drive with unallocated space remains.

clean-install-windows10-step.jpg

I click next and it starts to install but after copying the Windows files the percentage for "Getting files ready for Installation" only goes up a few percentage points before the installation cancels and the error code 0x8007025d shows up.

windows2012_installing_windows_screen.jpg

windows-error-code-0x8007025d.jpg

Looking online hasn't been much help. Most point to using a different port or usb drive. After the first error code I formatted the usb drive to FAT32 and used a different laptop that's fine to create the install media. I did this with three different brand new jump drives and tried them in both available usb slots and the same error message popped up.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what I should do next or what's wrong. The computer wasn't that stable before but it could be used hours fine without any blue screen coming up.

Here are the specs if that helps:

Lenovo FLEX 6-14ARR
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and 8 GB ram.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
México
Hello, my Mom's laptop has kept getting this blue screen sometimes to restart for a few months now. But it happens maybe the first time you start the computer and after restarting it usually works fine.

1200px-Bsodwindows10.png

I decided to do a clean install for Windows so I backed everything up and downloaded the Windows download tool to create installation media on a USB drive.

mct-usb-flash-drive-windows-10.jpg

Then when I do Windows setup and install from the flash drive I delete all the partions so only one drive with unallocated space remains.

clean-install-windows10-step.jpg

I click next and it starts to install but after copying the Windows files the percentage for "Getting files ready for Installation" only goes up a few percentage points before the installation cancels and the error code 0x8007025d shows up.

windows2012_installing_windows_screen.jpg

windows-error-code-0x8007025d.jpg

Looking online hasn't been much help. Most point to using a different port or usb drive. After the first error code I formatted the usb drive to FAT32 and used a different laptop that's fine to create the install media. I did this with three different brand new jump drives and tried them in both available usb slots and the same error message popped up.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what I should do next or what's wrong. The computer wasn't that stable before but it could be used hours fine without any blue screen coming up.

Here are the specs if that helps:

Lenovo FLEX 6-14ARR
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and 8 GB ram.

Thanks for any help.
That sounds like a faulty drive. Is it a mechanical drive? Now that you are doing a clean install, I would take the opportunity to upgrade the HDD to an SSD.

Get one from your local Best Buy. The 240GB PNY SSD is currently $26.99.

But first, try to make the bootable USB drive with an utility called Rufus instead of the Windows Tool. Download the ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

The link above will only work on mobile. Download the ISO on your phone and transfer it to a PC and make a bootable USB drive with Rufus (just use the default settings; do not change anything).

Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)

Rufus is a small application that creates bootable USB drives, which can then be used to install or run Microsoft Windows, Linux or DOS. In just a few minutes, and with very few clicks, Rufus can help you run a new Operating System on your computer...

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
That error usually appear when the install process is interrupted by sudden disconnect which happen alot when installing with USB drive. But in this case, because that laptop got bsod frequently before, it's most likely the fault of the drive --- or worse case scenario, the motherboard. Test the hdd first on a computer and run a scan to see if it has any bad sectors.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm having the same problem as you are with my Lenovo laptop too. Still haven't figured out how to solve it.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I vaguely remember my friend telling me about an issue with the latest version of Windows 10 and Lenovo laptops. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Yep. It's a blue screen caused by the fingerprint scanner.

www.windowslatest.com

Windows 10 failure: Lenovo confirms BSOD, more users report bugs

After applying the Windows 10 August update, if you’re having problems with your laptop, especially Lenovo ThinkPad, you’re not the only one. A bug in Windows 10 KB4566782 and Lenovo’s BIOS is causing ThinkPad laptops to get stuck in Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Lenovo has released a statement...

SatoAilDarko, Shadownet. If these systems have one, try going into the BIOS and disabling it. I'm betting this is happening when the driver for the scanner is being installed during setup. The article I linked shows how to disable it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SatoAilDarko

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciated them.

I tried some twice more and wouldn't you know it one went through and Windows has been installed.

A blue screen still came up once though so I checked my hard drive with Crystal Disk Info and it was 85% health and everything showed fine.

So then I checked the ram and that was found to have problems. So after I do some other checks I'm going to order some Ram and replace that.

There were other reasons to do a clear Windows install than the blue screen. I couldn't seem to update windows anymore being key. The late update was September of last year I think. So I wanted to do a clean install to deal with that and see if the blue screen issue got dealt with.

A mod can close this thread as the original problem isn't one anymore.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I vaguely remember my friend telling me about an issue with the latest version of Windows 10 and Lenovo laptops. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Yep. It's a blue screen caused by the fingerprint scanner.

www.windowslatest.com

Windows 10 failure: Lenovo confirms BSOD, more users report bugs

After applying the Windows 10 August update, if you’re having problems with your laptop, especially Lenovo ThinkPad, you’re not the only one. A bug in Windows 10 KB4566782 and Lenovo’s BIOS is causing ThinkPad laptops to get stuck in Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Lenovo has released a statement...

SatoAilDarko, Shadownet. If these systems have one, try going into the BIOS and disabling it. I'm betting this is happening when the driver for the scanner is being installed during setup. The article I linked shows how to disable it.
Mine doesn't even have a fingerprints scanner.

But maybe I'll do what OP does and order a set of RAM. Assuming my Lenovo Yoga 900 has replaceable RAM.

I tried replacing the M.2 SSD before and it still have me the same trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.