• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Almost impossible. I've recently beaten DR2 and Ultra Despair Girls. Before that, I knew the mastermind of Dr1 was
Junko
because there was literally multiple comments under the YouTube ost for Danganronpa.

And know I the mastermind of V3(haven't even played the game yet) because I searched to see if
Junko
was in the 3rd game.

How do you do it?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
...I played the games as they came out? It was their first time in English, with slight exception to DR1 (which had an anime), it wasn't hard avoiding spoilers

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Danganronpa fanbase is full of teens and is notorious for just spoiling everything about it without a single care.

I went into DR1 blind and joined the fandom and had the entire list of deaths spoiled for DR2 before the game was even out in English in the 6 month wait we had.

edit: that V3 one is on you pal, don't ever wiki Danganronpa stuff lol.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got nothing spoiled for me. I just didn't look up things about the game on the internet while I played them. Wasn't that difficult.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
If there is a story heavy game I want to play, I literally don't type the name in any type of search box until I'm done with it.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Never saw a single spoiler for any of those. The first was great. What a ride
Started the second right after which was probably a mistake, lost interest quick. Gonna wait a while to continue.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
That second spoiler is 1000% your fault. Never go on the wikis, especially not to check character info.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
The V3 one is 100% your own fault. If you don't want to get spoiled on something why are you looking up stuff about its characters?

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I just don't log into youtube or twitter and don't tell anyone I'm playing it until after I'm done.

Done this for all of them and never had a problem, did it for other story-focused games too. I don't go searching around for anything either, never saw the point in that until after I beat the game.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. don't watch youtube videos or search up reddit threads about the game you're playing..... definitely don't read comments.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Why would you search in a wiki for a game that is built on the premise of at least 4 or more people dying and the finding the repective killer alongside trying to find "WHO" is the mastermind ?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You're playing the games out of order, looking up critical plot info on a whim, and reading comments. That's, like, hitting everything you're not supposed to do if you actually care about spoilers.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's really hard to avoid Danganronpa 1 spoilers, because Junko/Monokuma stuff is everywhere as people's avatars, profile pics, etc.

But those V3 spoilers are entirely on you lmao

OP
OP
TheAndyMan

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
You're playing the games out of order, looking up critical plot info on a whim, and reading comments. That's, like, hitting everything you're not supposed to do if you actually care about spoilers.
Isn't that the right order? This comes off as more of a lecture. And most of those comments weren't spoiling anything.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I played the games in 2017 with nothing spoiled for me. Avoided any soundtrack links and didn't go to the wiki until I finished the games.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't look up videos or info on anything you're playing that you don't want spoiled.

I once clicked on a tweet from a Gamexplain member and got spoiled on a plot detail in the comments. Lesson learned.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Danganronpa 1's identity of the mastermind is one of the most well known spoiler on the internet of any recent game I feel like. If you are even remotely interested in Danganronpa, pretty much know a little bit what it's about, you probably know who is the mastermind of the first game.

Spoilers about anything else though ? Nah, unless you're very unlucky and stepped into the wrong online conversation, nah those kind of stuff don't get freely spoiled. I went into the whole franchise only having been spoiled dozens of time who 1's mastermind is, and that's it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the right order? This comes off as more of a lecture. And most of those comments weren't spoiling anything.
Sorry, you're right, I misread what you meant. But it doesn't matter if most of the comments weren't spoiling anything. It only takes 1 comment out of 1000.

If you don't want spoilers, then all of that is stuff to not do. It's how I didn't get spoiled on the games myself, and I followed the series closely after DR2.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I spoiled myself on Danganronpa 1's mastermind by looking up something because I'd missed it in-game, but otherwise, I purposefully don't look up content for games I'm avoiding spoilers on. If I want music for the game, I specifically avoid looking at the comment sections or forums/subreddits, and if I'm stuck on something, I get a walkthrough and do my best to only scroll to where I need (or I'll just ask on Reddit and mention that I'm avoiding spoilers). Looking up anything when you're avoiding spoilers is a pretty big risk, haha. Looking up things like who is in each game is a biiiig spoiler danger lol.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i googled "SHOW ME DA SPOILZ" and got spoilers, how the heck do y'all do it?

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had the first game spoiled for me by cosplayers before I even knew what the game was.

Why do all the Junko cosplayers insist on cosplaying Monokuma Junko all the time, lol

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
I got into Danganronpa years after it came out, but never found myself stumbling into spoilers. After I beat 1 and 2 on PC release and learned a part 3 was coming I went super hard in a blackout. If i looked up anything Danganronpa related it would be in private tabs and I never read comments.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
If we somehow get a Danganronpa 4, protocol will be to avoid youtube/fan wikis/Reddit/4chan and anywhere else you can think of where unmarked spoilers routinely happen as soon as the Japanese release hits. Do not rejoin any of those communities until you have finished the English release.

I've been playing every one on release since DR1 on the Vita and that's the only way to keep from getting spoiled with this franchise.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So your plan to stay away from spoilers was to do a search for spoilers

Bold move Cotton

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One example would be, not to make threads like this.

You haven't beaten the third game, yet you're out here asking someone to come by and ruin your day.

Not that I would do that, but there's always someone out there, and if you engage with conversations about the game on other forums, or places like youtube, then I'd imagine you'd get spoiled quite quickly.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Youtube spoiled DR1 for me and yeah it was partly my fault.

Played DR3 no spoilers at all and it was glorious.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
V3 is some crazy ass twists, I doubt you could understand the spoilers without some context.
Also avoid wikis like a plague for something you are watching/reading. Hell just googling a name is a bad sign. That's how Attack on Titan's famous secret identities got spoiled for me.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Clicking on OSTs of games you haven't played or games you're playing is one thing. Actively looking through the comments ... it's your fault.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made it through like a decade of not watching Game of Thrones and only ever encountered one spoiler (in an episode of Tosh.0). That show was a worldwide sensation readily discussed across the globe. I have no idea how it is ya'll are running into spoilers for some obscure Japanese series that most people don't even know the genre of.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I made it through like a decade of not watching Game of Thrones and only ever encountered one spoiler (in an episode of Tosh.0). That show was a worldwide sensation readily discussed across the globe. I have no idea how it is ya'll are running into spoilers for some obscure Japanese series that most people don't even know the genre of.
Well I mean for one thing you're not as likely to see people talking about Game of Thrones if you're hanging around people who talk about Japanese visual novels and RPGs almost exclusively, whereas you are much more likely to get spoiled on a Japanese visual novel or RPG in that setting

It's all about what content you choose to expose yourself to

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Almost had the big bad spoiled for me in DGR1 through a random Twitter post. Luckily it was before I was interested in the series so I didn't catch on.

Had the final boss of P5 spoiled because I watched someone fight Sister Friede on a boss fight channel, and then they just put the final boss of P5 and their name right in the thumbnail and it got recommended to me. Sucked.

Oct 28, 2017
I complain about spoilers a lot. Youtube thumbnails and all caps titles constantly spoils me on things without warning.

But this is your own damn fault OP. Actively searching for the thing you're playing and looking at comments.

Now with that said, I've only ever had one thing spoiled for me in a Danganronpa game and that was the chapter 1 twist in V3. How was is spoiled? BY YOU FUCKERS ON ERA OF COURSE. IN THE NON SPOILER OT OF THE GAME JUST AFTER RELEASE.

But lesson learned. When the next Danganronpa game comes out I shall take no part in the OT until I have finished the game. None of you can be trusted.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to avoid spoilers, if you aren't caught up to the latest entry, don't search up anything about them. Simple as that.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't look up any info on a game with obvious easy spoilers like this until you've finished. Preferably, don't look up anything on any game in the series until you finish all 3.

Way too easy to get spoiled.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't engage with anything online about a game series until I'm done with it. People are going to spoil and talk about things freely in spaces where 90% of people have all played the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally never been spoiled on something that I cared about. It's not that fucking hard. Even years later there's still games i want to go through that I haven't been spoiled on.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I just want to get a deal for the Vita to play them. Since I'm most of the time out of the house I can only play portables and the Vita and sometimes a PSP are the only portables I can carry with me. 😭

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I watched a SuperEyepatchWolf video on "best anime villains" and got spoiled on the villain of Danganronpa 1.

Sometimes shit just happens, you know?

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, concensus here is right, this is totally on you. As a spoilerphope myself, I've learned not to look up ANYTHING related to a series I'm interested in until I've finished every released entry. Then it's time to dive into wikis, read comments, etc. If this was a case of seeing a spoiler in a totally unrelated context (as has happened to me) I'd have some sympathy, but it sounds like you weren't trying very hard to avoid getting spoiled.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Why the fuck are you reading YouTube comments and googling story points of games you're afraid of being spoiled on? jfc

Just play V3, btw. You don't know shit.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I played all the games blind. Though I called the mastermind In DR1 before the reveal.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
When it came to DanganRonpa, I managed to avoid spoilers for all 3 games, because I didn't bother looking up anything for those games on Youtube, or twitter specifically. I didn't even participate in forum threads about the games.

If I needed a guide of some kind (mainly for finding out which gifts each student loved, so I could increase their ranking, I'd type in something like "DanganRonpa (whatever game I was on), Prologue" or "DangaRonpa walkthrough," and press search without letting it autocomplete. I'd then screenshot the gift guide pages on my phone, and reference those when I needed a reminder, instead of having to risk using the search again.

If I got stumped on a particular case (it didn't happen often, but it definitely happened), I always made sure to preface my search with "walkthrough" then typed what game and case I was on.

I think it worked out pretty well for me, personally.