• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
House employees won't have their payroll taxes deferred under President Donald Trump's recent order, a top House official said Friday in the latest setback for the administration's ill-received plan.

The temporary tax deferral "would not be in the best interests of the House or our employees," Philip G. Kiko, the chamber's chief administrative officer, wrote in a memo, adding that the House Administration Committee concurred.

But the administration has had a hard time convincing private-sector employers to take part in the plan. Companies are concerned it is too risky or complicated, especially if Congress doesn't ultimately excuse workers from having to pay back the taxes when the deferral expires at the end of the year.

"The taxes are deferred, and absent subsequent action by Congress, employees still owe, and employers are still required to collect the taxes," he wrote. "Starting in January of 2021, employers would be required to begin withholding taxes from paychecks at higher rates to fully collect the tax owed by April 30, 2021."

The administration recently announced that the deferral would be applied to the paychecks of executive branch employees and the military. They'd have to repay their obligations next year unless Congress makes the deferral permanent.

www.politico.com

Trump's payroll tax deferral nixed for House employees

It wasn't immediately known what the Republican-controlled Senate will do.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking useless policy. My wife works in Payroll and literally everyone is saying no to this.

- You have to pay it back
- If you quit/get fired, the company has to pay it back

It's an utterly useless bit of policy.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking useless policy. My wife works in Payroll and literally everyone is saying no to this.

- You have to pay it back
- If you quit/get fired, the company has to pay it back

Without a doubt, there's some large conglomerate Trump is helping with this. There's some sort of policy or faced company that's pulling some kind of swindle. It's an utterly useless bit of policy.

oh wow, never knew about the company paying it back if you quit or get fired

Nov 2, 2017
I'm currently being forced to take it. My question is do I end up paying it with my regular taxes, or will my employer just essentially double my payroll taxes once the deferral ends to pay it back.

Almost certainly the latter, because they're the ones on the hook for ultimately remitting the correct amount of payroll tax.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently being forced to take it. My question is do I end up paying it with my regular taxes, or will my employer just essentially double my payroll taxes once the deferral ends to pay it back.

You will have to pay it back and your employer will double your payroll taxes essentially. If you somehow leave your job before the end of 2020, your employer will be stuck with the bill.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Good. This is really dumb and harms Social Security and other programs.

The timing of when it has to be paid back is also a trap door for the GOP to scream at a potential Biden administration for "raising taxes" when they're cleaning this mess up.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Can't you change your withholding and pay more upfront per paycheck? I'm not an accountant fwiw.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is nothing more than a political con.

He's trying to defer the payroll tax until after the election payroll tax and then use that as leverage in the election -- "If Joe Biden is eliminated he will INCREASE TAXES on all working Americans!" The payroll tax deferral would automatically expire in 2021 and have to be paid back, reducing the size of your take-home pay for 2021.

I believe the way it'll work is that for the months that this program is active, Sept 2020 to January 2021, you'd then have to pay that back spread over 12 months for the 2021 tax year. So, let's say you "save" $1000 between now and the end of the year, the payroll tax deferral expires in january, that means you go back to paying the payroll tax AND you pay $83/mo for 2021. It's a scam.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly few companies are doing this, and the ones the are seem to not realize what they're agreeing to even when told a dozen times over what their liabilities will be.

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck I don't need this money or this mess. Is there any way to opt out?

Keep in mind, a lot of companies aren't actually going to implement this.

Let's say you got a new job and left this company in late December to start at your new company on January 1. Your old company still owes the federal government your payroll taxes for the last quarter of 2020, and now they have no method to collect that money from you. Anyone who changes jobs or leaves a company for any reason in the last quarter will create an obligation on the company's part should the company opt into this.

As a result, most companies aren't going to do this at all. Not because it's a stupid idea (which it is), but because it could cost them money.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the way it'll work is that for the months that this program is active, Sept 2020 to January 2021, you'd then have to pay that back spread over 12 months for the 2021 tax year. So, let's say you "save" $1000 between now and the end of the year, the payroll tax deferral expires in january, that means you go back to paying the payroll tax AND you pay $83/mo for 2021. It's a scam.

OK, I just wasn't sure if I was going to have to pay it one lump sum when I paid income tax or something.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I just wasn't sure if I was going to have to pay it one lump sum when I paid income tax or something.

Jesus, I was wrong, you have to have it paid back by April. So basically... any savings you make between now and the end of the year will be paid back between January and April. If it's automatically deferred for you it'll be automatically withdrawn. It's a fucking con.

Consider taking that $80/mo or whatever and putting it into some savings account. Who knows maybe you can make $1.75 in interest.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Talk to your payroll clerk or HR to see if you can opt out. But that's if your company didn't already decline to do it.
Keep in mind, a lot of companies aren't actually going to implement this.

Let's say you got a new job and left this company in late December to start at your new company on January 1. Your old company still owes the federal government your payroll taxes for the last quarter of 2020, and now they have no method to collect that money from you. Anyone who changes jobs or leaves a company for any reason in the last quarter will create an obligation on the company's part should the company opt into this.

As a result, most companies aren't going to do this at all. Not because it's a stupid idea (which it is), but because it could cost them money.

thank you both. I'll confirm with my company.

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, never knew about the company paying it back if you quit or get fired

Payroll taxes are collected and paid be the employeer so they'll be on the hook for it once it comes due. Companies would probably try to collect the money from their former employees, but that wouldn't be easy for most of them.

If an employer does pay it though it counts as additional income to their former employees which they would need to pay taxes on.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
payroll tax deferral is destructive bullshit. literally anybody with any economic, tax, or savings background will tell you as much

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Federal employees are not being allowed to opt out of the payroll taxes not being withheld in our paychecks, at least in my agency we're not.

Yep, shit sucks. The email I got said it starts my next paycheck and goes til the end of the year and I will be forced to pay it back between January and April of next year. Make it sound like they will just take out double during that period to pay it back. Shit is so fucking stupid and I am very annoyed I can't opt out of this idiocy.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
I know the higher ups in military are pissed about it. They are pushing for congress to waive/forgive the deferred taxes for military.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
same. Being forced to take it starting this pay period.

Do you two work for Trump supporters? It actually takes a lot of work to even support this (updating payroll software to enable the deferral, an update after December to set things back to normal, some kind of system to get the money back from employees when everything expires) - so I can't see how any company would actually choose to support this unless they're doing it out of blind support of Trump.

All I can say is to set the money aside and don't spend it - that way you can pay it back when the time comes.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucking stupid because you have to pay it back. You're basically putting people in crippling debt.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Do you two work for Trump supporters? It actually takes a lot of work to even support this (updating payroll software to enable the deferral, an update after December to set things back to normal, some kind of system to get the money back from employees when everything expires) - so I can't see how anyone would actually choose to support this unless they're doing it out of blind support of Trump.

All I can say is to set the money aside and don't spend it - that way you can pay it back when the time comes.
Well, I work for the federal government so technically yes. Lol.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I know certain federal agencies are being forced to take this. They are getting larger paychecks in 2020 and reduced in 2021 to pay the missed tax payments.