• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I remember there was a very short time when he seemed serious and was talking rationally before he flipped back to attacking states, talking about opening by Easter and all that this is probably a reflection of the change in tone back and forth.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
who knew so many statisticians posted on resetera
You don't need to be a statistician to know how sample sizes work lol.

I learned stats in 11th grade of high school. You know what I remember now? Nothing about z-scores and chi^2 tests. But I do remember that you don't need to sample a tot population for a representative sample lmfao

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I know you're getting piled on, but let me try to actually explain this point.
If we were able to pick truly at random, i.e. if every registered voter in the US had an equal chance to be picked for this survey, math can tell in very accurate terms how likely it is for our results to be different than the actual opinions of total population.
It's not a single number, it's probability curve - it is something that can tell us things like "there is 95% chance that our results are within 5%" (this is often reported as margin of error but that figure alone is always incomplete). There can always be outliers, these are stats, you can be 50% off, you can flip a coin and it will land on its head 100 times in a row. It's not likely, but it's possible. For 200 million people, in a sample that size, if it was truly random you would have about 99% chance of being within 5%. I know it may sound counterintuitive, but that's math for you.

Now you may ask, why not just increase the sample size and get even more accurate?
That is because the main source of error in polling actually comes from sampling bias, in practical terms what it means that some people are more likely to answer polls than others. Increasing the sample size doesn't solve this because the bias just remain. This is a difficult problem that can never be solved perfectly, but increasing the sampling size doesn't actually make it easier to tackle, it usually make it harder.

Hope this helps.

Well said! Also, say you poll 1 million people. The millionth person doesn't move the needle in any significant way. It's a waste of time and resources.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I would imagine that the two or three days of insane "sacrifice yourself for the economy" messaging contributed to this. I actually believed at first that the GOP base was brainwashed enough to go for it too LOL
Probably that and seeing him extorting several states for medical supplies while people are dying.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was a little worried that people might rally behind the president during a crisis, but this has not been good for Trump. He's still trailing behind Biden in Fox News's newest poll.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I would imagine that the two or three days of insane "sacrifice yourself for the economy" messaging contributed to this. I actually believed at first that the GOP base was brainwashed enough to go for it too LOL

Oh there are some people who are that brain washed, just got off the phone with my father who basically said "your generation is screwed if we keep the economy closed for months to keep old people alive who'll be dead in 5 years" *sigh*

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't his approval extremely low for a US President in a time of crisis anyway? So even if he had more approval than not it's not anywhere near the support other Presidents have had in the past.

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 27, 2017
I thought sample size and margin of error were part of the high school curriculum.

Now if you want to discredit a poll, it can be done in the crosstabs. Sampling methodology is important like ZealousD pointed out.

Sep 14, 2019
apple.news

Trump to reporter asking about ventilators: Don't be a cutie pie — CNN Politics

During a White House coronavirus task force briefing, President Donald Trump responded to a reporter's question asking for a guarantee on ventilator availability saying "don't be a cutie pie."

Reporters should hold their ground.

Yes, they'll probably be blacklisted, but it's not like many actually ask him a good question, and if they do it's not answered.

It's a few months before the election. He doesn't have much time until he gets kicked out.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing Trump has working for him is that the rural areas with a lot of his voters will be those with a relatively smaller impact. You can see the start of the narrative already by some deranged people that "god is hitting blue states harder than red ones". I don't even want to imagine the effect the crisis will still have on the election itself when people may still be scared to go out and vote. Combine that with the stupid idea of an electoral college and I see a lot of things actually working in Trump's favor.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing Trump has working for him is that the rural areas with a lot of his voters will be those with a relatively smaller impact. You can see the start of the narrative already by some deranged people that "god is hitting blue states harder than red ones".

What will be the narrative in a week when Louisiana, Texas, Florida, and Mississippi all equal or surpass NYC's numbers?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It'll get worse when those deaths start happening close to home and people realize how serious this is.

This. People everywhere thinks that this is all a joke, not just America. Because they're refusing to practice social distancing, the positive cases for the Coronavirus along with deaths are going to continue rising further & further.

The only thing Trump has working for him is that the rural areas with a lot of his voters will be those with a relatively smaller impact. You can see the start of the narrative already by some deranged people that "god is hitting blue states harder than red ones". I don't even want to imagine the effect the crisis will still have on the election itself when people may still be scared to go out and vote. Combine that with the stupid idea of an electoral college and I see a lot of things actually working in Trump's favor.

If anything, the way he's handling the Pandemic is going to wind up costing him the election.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Short of marital law, which would tank his re election more quickly then his response to this disaster will, his ratings will drop off a cliff once the true extent of the case and death explosion becomes known in the us. The military needed to be on the streets last week.

It's not about flattening the curve in the us now, its about managing it best as possible.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that rating will stay once quarantine is over and people are still getting the virus and dying from it. On top of the economy being on shambles with the start of a recession.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
What will be the narrative in a week when Louisiana, Texas, Florida, and Mississippi all equal or surpass NYC's numbers?

This. Your state being less populated or more spread out gives a longer lag time, but without proper precautions and testing every metropolitan area in the world will be infected, and eventually all of their surrounding burbs.

Georgia, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania are all swing states that are days away from NJ's numbers, meaning they're weeks away from NY numbers. And I don't think it's outrageous to point out a lot of red states don't have hospitals (or healthcare options) as good as NY, CA, and MA.

None of this "haha lib states" grandstanding is going to matter by mid-April, everyone will be begging for supplies and wondering aloud why we're not ahead of this thing.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Yeah I heard them predict this on the Pod Save America podcast. No amount of spin can change the facts on the ground that Americans are ALL facing in their day-to-day lives.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
None of this "haha lib states" grandstanding is going to matter by mid-April, everyone will be begging for supplies and wondering aloud why we're not ahead of this thing.

I hope that's true, but the Republicans in general seem to be very much on the "I'd rather be dead than wrong" train. I don't know if a dead loved one will change their mind or actually make them double down out of hate and spite.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I know full well how many cases. Changes nothing I said.

It's that state's governor that hasn't been doing a great job at doing that. He hasn't closed down the boarders to his state, & hasn't gotten Trump on the phone to halt all incoming flights to Florida.

It may be small right now, but check back in a week. It's only going to get worse.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
It's that state's governor that hasn't been doing a great job at doing that. He hasn't closed down the boarders to his state, & hasn't gotten Trump on the phone to halt all incoming flights to Florida.

It may be small right now, but check back in a week. It's only going to get worse.
Again. Check the county map. And the counties have taken care of stay in lock ins themselves.

Im saying it is not trending to NY numbers at all.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
it can be very accurate assuming it's a representative sample of the population, that's just how statistics works

it's like how you don't have to drink an entire gallon of a beverage to know how it tastes

assuming it's the same the whole way through, all it takes is a sip to know if you like it or not

these polls attempt to "take a sip" by surveying a group of people that looks like the larger population statistically
That's a really cool way of explaining it. I'm gonna remember that for sure.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
His handlers really need to get him off these daily briefings.

Do you think they want to help him?
If you dig long enough you'll get out of the prison and find freedom.

He should keep digging; keep looking for a way out. Subconscious desire to not have to deal with any of the "responsibility" (re: burden/criticism) associated with the job.

I hope he breaks free.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I know you're getting piled on, but let me try to actually explain this point.
If we were able to pick truly at random, i.e. if every registered voter in the US had an equal chance to be picked for this survey, math can tell in very accurate terms how likely it is for our results to be different than the actual opinions of total population.
It's not a single number, it's probability curve - it is something that can tell us things like "there is 95% chance that our results are within 5%" (this is often reported as margin of error but that figure alone is always incomplete). There can always be outliers, these are stats, you can be 50% off, you can flip a coin and it will land on its head 100 times in a row. It's not likely, but it's possible. For 200 million people, in a sample that size, if it was truly random you would have about 99% chance of being within 5%. I know it may sound counterintuitive, but that's math for you.

Now you may ask, why not just increase the sample size and get even more accurate?
That is because the main source of error in polling actually comes from sampling bias, in practical terms what it means that some people are more likely to answer polls than others. Increasing the sample size doesn't solve this because the bias just remain. This is a difficult problem that can never be solved perfectly, but increasing the sampling size doesn't actually make it easier to tackle, it usually make it harder.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this and not just be a total asshole.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for taking the time to explain this and not just be a total asshole.
Don't mention it.
Nobody is born with knowledge, and it's amazingly counter intuitive to think that you can get anything remotely meaningful from that few answers.
I'm pretty damn sure no one here figured that shit on their own, someone had to explain it to them at some point, I can tell you for sure I I was taught that, so why not return the favor?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

The exact opposite is going to happen.

It's hitting big cities first because that's where the population is. As time goes on, it's going to expanding into more rural areas.

Here's the figures for South Dakota, one of the more rural states. They're currently at 68 cases and it's growing almost daily (went up 10 from yesterday). A few days ago, Meade County had their first confirmed case, and that person had interacted with over 100 people before their confirmed case.

This thing is going to wreak havoc on rural states as the infection spreads and if you think it's bad with bigger hospitals lacking supplies, wait till you see what's going to happen when more smaller hospitals start getting overwhelmed.

I live in a rural county in California and, while we don't have any confirmed cases (to my knowledge), our local hospital isn't going to be able to handle this thing if it blows up in our area. I live 80 miles from Reno, where there's 18 confirmed cases in Washoe County. Our backup hospital are the ones in Reno. If it overwhelms the hospitals there, we'll have nobody to send our influx of patients.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
www.qualtrics.com

Sample Size Calculator - Qualtrics

Need to quickly calculate sample size? Use our calculator to find your ideal sample size now! ✓ Learn more with this complete guide.
I like Qualtrics a lot as a service, but this is not helpful.

In a cross-sectional, descriptive survey like this, the population size really doesn't matter much, neither does the confidence interval or statistical power.

Basically, bigger sample size = better, but the main thing that people need to know is that it is a SAMPLE. A sample is a subset of the population. It is not the population. The best thing you have to go off of is what the norm is for surveys of this sort, in which case 600-700 is by no means terrible.

I promise y'all, laughing at sample size happens a lot more online for these kinds of studies than it does with actual researchers, especially with a number like 686. A *relatively* small sample size is not mocked as much as it changes the interpretation of the data.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
94qhNbq.jpg

abcnews.go.com

Fewer than half of Americans believe their daily routine will return to normal by June, as fears over coronavirus rise: POLL

Fewer than half of Americans believe their daily routine will return to normal by June 1, amid sharply rising concerns over coronavirus, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll shows.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
As I expected, recent polling were outliers/over sampling enthusiasm for the Trump administration's *slightly better* handling of the situation. Reality has struck back in.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
As I expected, recent polling were outliers/over sampling enthusiasm for the Trump administration's *slightly better* handling of the situation. Reality has struck back in.

Which is very comforting. The more people disapprove, the better I feel. I have no idea if that's a healthy mindset, but hey.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Trump supporting family member who is just obnoxious at this point in the outbreak.
"The stupid Democrats still wasting time going after Trump, just think of the shit that poor man is going through during this"
kill me.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Which is very comforting. The more people disapprove, the better I feel. I have no idea if that's a healthy mindset, but hey.
True.

And make no mistake, I want the current administration to do well. But that does not erase how fucking piss poor a job they did leading up to the crisis and the mistakes they still continue to make.

If they do something good I'll say it, but I won't award them for doing what's right.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Sadly, I'm worried about how he'll respond with this. He's such a slave to polls and perceived approval that he may do what he's done in other areas, and basically jsut go all in on decisions that jive with people who approve of him. Like he'll look at his approval from 2 weeks ago which was ~52% or something and think that's when he was calling it a hoax, open by easter, "cure is worse than the disease," and so therefore he should double-down on that.

"686 registered voters"
That's why these "statistic" threads always make me laugh.

Pollsters aren't idiots, most of them are data scientists who do this for a living. And while people like to bag on pollsters after 2016, first, most pollsters were right when it comes to 2016 it's just tthat the conclusions people took from those polls were largely wrong, and second, polling is generally very accurate in the last 4-8 years.

I'd recommend listening to this podcast episode of Stay Tuned with Preet where he interviews Ann Selzer, the polling expert who runs 'Selzer' which is one of the most reputable polling firms in the US:

cafe.com

Stay Tuned Transcript: Born to Poll (with J. Ann Selzer) - CAFE

Preet Bharara: From Café, welcome to Stay Tuned. I’m Preet Bharara. Ann Selzer: There’s not …

THey go into how smaller sample size does not necessarily mean less reputable data, but it usually just correlates a larger margin of error or a different polling denominator (e.g., "Of likely voters" or "Of Democratic caucus goers," etc). ~700 registered voters is not an unusually small sample size, and depending on the rigor of the polling it can be more accurate than a larger sample size that may be more biased or less refined. There are logistical challenges to getting more than "700 registered voters" that are representative of public opinion aND doing so in a short period of time in this hyper-active news cycle. For instance, if it takes a pollster 7 days to get access to 1000 registered voters, but only 4 days to get access to 700 voters, then the more relevant data with 700 voters is more valuable than the data with 1000 voters where a bunch of the polls might have been taken a week ago. If it takes 3 weeks to get 3000 registered voters polled, then that data is almost useless, 3 weeks is before people started dying en masse. THe numbers have doubled in 3 days.

There's a balance at work with polling, and a perception of smaller polling numbers does not corroborate to less accurate results.

Last edited: