• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
My cousin who I always looked up to, and whom I thought was one of the smartest people I've ever known is now a full blown cult member. I mean I knew she was a supporter before, but it was never this bad. We just had a big fight on Facebook over the slimeball. My Uncle who I always admired, and his son, who I grew up with and idolized me as a kid thinks "Trump is the best thing to ever happen to the country." His words. The funny thing is he's engaged to an Arab immigrant. I asked him how he feels that Trump wants to kick her out of the country he's done so much for? My brother-in-law says Trump is a "great leader," and on and on....

It feels so heartbreaking seeing people I love and grew up with be caught in this horrid web of lies and grift, yet somehow unable to see the orange Spider waiting to devour them and everything they know.

It's not all bad news I guess. My parents and sister will be voting for the first time in their lives for Biden, although they always leaned republican. It's gonna be so hard to bring families back together no matter who wins. :(

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
I know that feeling. I've decided it's better to focus on a few people and pick your battles. I don't need to get bogged down in a discussion of cuties but any BLM or most COVID stuff from my Mom I will address. Also these convos are way easier in person than online

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have Facebook so I don't know if any of my extended family are trumpers but they are conservatives so I wouldn't be surprised. I did kick a friend to the curb over that nonsense though. It sucks.

May 26, 2018
I guess what these four years have done, if nothing else, is show us who are actually capable of defending us from those who would do us harm, and those who pretend but swallow the barrel of the gun in blindness.

I've watched this happen too. Intimately.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Same here--I can't even look at my father in the eye anymore.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Trump made bigots comfortable, and people are learning a lot about their friends and family. Or in my case: former friends and family. There's no room in my life for people like that.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I know that feeling. I've decided it's better to focus on a few people and pick your battles. I don't need to get bogged down in a discussion of cuties but any BLM or most COVID stuff from my Mom I will address. Also these convos are way easier in person than online
Not for me. I need the distance and the space to breathe because, with my parents at least, the thing I'm struggling to communicate to them is that my children's future is on the line. They can't go to school. Their godparents, who are out west, can't go outside at all when that was their only outlet during the pandemic. It's just so bad. Meanwhile my parents are buying more guns, racist as fuck but refuse to confront it, and flip out about the stock market even though they... are poor. And they have a picture of 45 up in the living room. I can't. I don't even want to see them.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
On a positive note, my friends parents voted for Trump, and they absolutely regret it and have actively worked to signal boost against him.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I come from two parent families with multiple siblings and we're totally alone because of this. It sucks.

Had it not been for my time on GAF in the early 2010s, I might have been right with them.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
Not for me. I need the distance and the space to breathe because, with my parents at least, the thing I'm struggling to communicate to them is that my children's future is on the line. They can't go to school. Their godparents, who are out west, can't go outside at all when that was their only outlet during the pandemic. It's just so bad. Meanwhile my parents are buying more guns, racist as fuck but refuse to confront it, and flip out about the stock market even though they... are poor. And they have a picture of 45 up in the living room. I can't. I don't even want to see them.
A picture in the house is crazy. I'm sorry you have to go through that. Good luck

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
There's this weird phenomenon where Trump replaced Jesus for a lot of people even though the two couldn't be further apart in their essence.

It's part of the mythology of fascism - there must always be a great hero to restore the nation to its nostalgic glory (that never was).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's been tough for me, I mean normally I just avoid political discussion but with COVID being politicized it's been unavoidable and causing me a ton of stress and tension. Especially since I'm still dependent on them. Doesn't help that I'm the main one taking the pandemic seriously and at this point it's possible most of us even had it

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
My mom is a lost cause. Retirement and too much of the wrong kind of tv did her in. The rest of my family try to trick her into not voting, making her think she already did, etc.

Mother in law isn't as far gone, but is on her way :(

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't want to condemn people for cutting toxicity out of their lives, particularly bigoted toxicity that has overbearing detriment towards healthy relationships, it's not a simple situation in all its painful awfulness.

People aren't born or locked into ideological states no matter how ridiculous, bigoted, offensive, hostile, or insane they might seem. The core issue with modern politics, particularly Trumpism, is in the methodology it uses to radicalise people with existing predispositions or susceptibility towards shared ideological values. The goal is to target these people, deconstruct their opposing values, and radicalise them into fanatical, cult-like allegiance to the ideology, usually through classical propaganda techniques now accelerated and emulated by a digital age.

It doesn't excuse their bigotry, however it manifests. Not even slightly. But that's how radicalisation is so effective; divide susceptible individuals and isolate them from support networks, foster fear of conflict, nurture ideological absolutes, erode critical thinking and reasoning, and provide them with the illusion of a warm, welcoming community within that ideology. It's precisely the same methodology that every group aiming to ideologically radicalise uses, whether it be Trumpism and white nationalism, or Islamic radicalisation, or your run of the mill cult, and anything/everything in between.

I've lost a couple of friends to Trump-like thinking, and I'm in Australia. One, a once close friend of mine, married a guy who turned out to be literally a white nationalist/Nazi supporter slowly but surely infested her brain with conspiratorial QAnon bullshit. Now it's the "SJW left" ruining everything, Trump's got it all worked out for America, 5G is giving is covid, Melbourne is under fascist tyranny (we're in lockdowns, and the irony of this statement from her is palpable), yadda yadda.

Shit fucking sucks. I guess the point of my post isn't to dismiss the hardship and toxicity, so much as highlight how fucking insipid this kind of stuff is, or more how dangerous it is in a digital age. Ideological radicalisation has only gotten easier thanks to The Internet, and radicalisation itself has been a challenge for all of human history. It's an extraordinary mental challenge to reconcile retaining relationships with your loved ones while they've fallen victim to said radicalisation, balancing the knowledge that their ideological values are genuinely harmful to many others, they're ultimately arbiters of their own destiny, yet in the same breath isolation and ostracization is precisely what those radicalising want. There's no easy answer, solution, or methodology to combat this. Both as an individual (what you should/shouldn't do, for them, the relationship, and your own health), and on a broader social level. But it is, absolutely, one of the biggest challenges of a modern world and something that is not going to go away for a long time. It's going to require some fundamental reevaluations of our social framework and education.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
trump is the best thing to happen to this country?

even if you like the guy thats ridiculous

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck em

I'm showing my full ass to my in laws if Biden wins. If he loses, prob skipping thanksgiving and all future meetings.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My cousin who I always looked up to, and whom I thought was one of the smartest people I've ever known is now a full blown cult member. I mean I knew she was a supporter before, but it was never this bad. We just had a big fight on Facebook over the slimeball. My Uncle who I always admired, and his son, who I grew up with and idolized me as a kid thinks "Trump is the best thing to ever happen to the country." His words. The funny thing is he's engaged to an Arab immigrant. I asked him how he feels that Trump wants to kick her out of the country he's done so much for? My brother-in-law says Trump is a "great leader," and on and on....

It feels so heartbreaking seeing people I love and grew up with be caught in this horrid web of lies and grift, yet somehow unable to see the orange Spider waiting to devour them and everything they know.

It's not all bad news I guess. My parents and sister will be voting for the first time in their lives for Biden, although they always leaned republican. It's gonna be so hard to bring families back together no matter who wins. :(
And it's not going to go down quietly in November... Biden needs to win with big numbers. He's the new "Reagan" in that he'll become a mythical figure to many Republican shitheels.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fox News and Trump have broken so many American families.

I'm surprised if this doesn't have any long-standing repercussions in life expectancy. I imagine there being a surge of old people dying alone in their homes or a surge of admittance to long term care. Or a decrease in birth rate since parents now have a much smaller support network to help raise their kids.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017

You might want to watch this documentary and check what their news feed/social media look like. They could literally just not be getting any of news/posting that you see in their social bubble and so you need to start by getting them to recognize that. Only then do I think is possible to start changing minds.

www.resetera.com

/The Social Dilemma_ |OT| Netflix documentary deep dive into the problems with social media technology and ways to try to fix these problems OT

Netflix has just released a new documentary named /The Social Dilemma_ which is a documentary deep dive into the problems with social media technology and it has proposed ways to try to fix this problem. This documentary is very interesting to me and I think others should watch it. One tech...

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. Trump has just re-invigorated something really ugly in America and I don't know how many years it will take to push that back down.

I think a lot of GOP supporters who aren't necessarily Trumpists see the writing on the wall and they just can't admit that they voted for somebody so stupid and inept, so they triple down and make excuses for him so they can feel better about their bad choices.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
There is a psychological element to being an unconventional Trump supporter that I can't quite put my finger on. Sure, if you're a die-hard Republican apologist no one is surprised that you will vote for Trump. However, we're seeing people that were indifferent to Politics that suddenly have become entrenched with him. You also have the luke-warm republicans who might have voted for Romney and McCain but never really flaunted it who are so in your face with Trump. I just get the sense with these people that there is almost nothing he could do that would ever cause him to lose their support. They don't seem to care what his policies are and their value and moral system are fluid to whatever helps him the most. I've heard people say that his support is a cult of personality. Perhaps that's what it is. Personally, my dad is a Trump supporter and it's just so weird because he is exactly the type of person that Trump and his cronies don't care about. He's an uneducated hispanic immigrant (recently became a citizen) who's from New York and grew up poor, often-times taking advantage of welfare programs during rough times. Now he's become a Fox News / Trump disciple and it just baffles me.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
You're not alone. At least for me..it's starting to get to a point where I'm fine abandoning certain aspects of my family. I don't have sympathy and time and energy for this kind of ignorance

Mar 30, 2019
I lost my father to it OP. It is really disheartening. I feel like I just can't reach him anymore and any effort is met with more vitriol. I don't know what to do except take a stand. I'm sorry OP.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel lucky that even the moderate/right-leaning people I work with have rejected Trumpism. Work would be a tremendously miserable place if that type of division was stoked each day.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It sucks. I've cut a lot of my family off already. There's a good mix of Trumpers and those who are apathetic, both of which are fucking wild to me, as my family is mostly Hispanic (some white spouses/in-laws) on either side.

I definitely have an easier time of cutting friends/fam off, so it's not as painful for me as EatChildren alluded to but that's because I'm over 2000 miles away from my nearest family (I live in Seattle, fam is mostly in the Dallas area). I only visited twice a year but that was when we weren't in a pandemic.

I'll go back for funerals, maybe, but other than that, I'm not sweating seeing anyone again.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I've lost many friends because of their inability to disavow the racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia and other general forms of hatred that Trump gives off. My extended family on my mom's side are all extremely pro-Trump despite my grandmother having had two veteran husbands who have passed (one from cancer after having been exposed to agent orange before I was even born, and the other who was a PoW but only died like 2 years ago) and my uncle actively losing money because of the pandemic (he runs a network of private schools and a clothing company to sell the uniforms)

I really don't get why people support Trump and those that do refuse to see anything wrong with what he does.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Lets not pretend an idiot like Trump has tricked your family and friends... The ones you are disappointed in because they are/were apparently smart people. Nah, most of the time Trump is merely something for a bunch of hateful people to rally around. Some are idiots, but not all. Hate is the commonality here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Honestly, a few people I know post Qanon BS, and all their replies from their friends and family support it, it just makes me feel sick to read it.
I don't want to block them because I feel like I should reply with some truth, but I also don't really want to start shit and just get shut down by
their friends and family who would back them up :\

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
There's not one person in my immediate family that isn't pro-Trump. Even my cousins that are around my age, so relatively young, are all for Trump and the GOP. In fact most younger people I meet in general here in south Florida (so not the hyper conservative northern part) lean right. My anecdotal experiences are why I'm so confident that Trump will win Florida in 2020. Just like I knew DeSantis and Rick Scott would win in 2018.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
OP I feel you.

Someone in my family that I love and have always admired deeply, has been slowly converting into a cult member. When women were marching and speaking out against men like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby, he posted Trump giving an anti-abortion speech and my stomach dropped. It was one of those moments where you stare at it and look for satire or commentary. More recently shared a seemingly non-partisan video that inspired hope for ending COVID-19, I played the video and started commenting that I appreciated the optimism and faith...and it led to another video from the same channel, where a "news anchor" was screaming about the horrors of the world today- such as "liberals who pretend to be offended by slurs and jokes about other races". I was really disgusted so I dug through the rest of the account.

It was OAN.

I looked into their hosts and ownership, discovering that they're a more openly racist and homophobic version of Fox News. That they take the conservative spin to the next level by pushing really dangerous conspiracies and completely fake news. I learned that Trump loves them and watched clips of him taking their "questions" in briefings about the pandemic. I watched Trump yell at Fox News for asking a surprisingly reasonable question about the country's fears around COVID-19, throwing him a softball and asking him to say something comforting to Americans. He yelled at her, told her it was an awful question, she should be ashamed.

He then said he likes OAN and took their reporters question...which was something to the effect of "isn't it true that calling COVID-19 the Chinese virus is just something for liberals to pretend to be upset about? It's no worse than saying Chinese Food." That actually fucking happened. "Great question, I love that question".

Pretty blinded by sadness and shock, I started writing a message to him letting him know about all the disproven conspiracies that OAN was pushing, that they were employing mouth pieces known for being proudly homophobic or having white nationalist views. Another family member stopped me.

Told me to let it go, that he was too far gone.

I bring it up from time to time, I'm still sad about it, I still care about him but more than one family member has told me it's a lost cause.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
You think you know your family....

My uncle in the US randomly called him "Sleepy Joe Biden" in a conversation. Claimed if Biden wins, the stock market will collapse lol. I chewed him and he ghosted on me.

Distant cousins of mine were posting Candace Owens videos during the peak of George Floyd protests, like they're some eye-opening experience.

Fuck them.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I feel you OP. It's mind blowing, these are the people that gave me my moral compass. I went to where it pointed and yet none of them are here with me.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
I never bought that the majority of Trumpers are poor saps who have been brainwashed. They are mostly just racist fucks and always have been. And they support their man because of it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My mom is from Richlands North Carolina, a small hick town (minuscule when she was younger) with a whooooole lot of racist ass hicks. We all knew most of the family were bigots, thats why my mom left as soon as she could. Its honestly easy to reconcile the fact that so much of the family are pieces of shit. What got us all is our grandma. She said she was voting for Trump and yadayada you know the deal. My mom explained to her how he was racist, sexist, etc. and she said she didn't care at all, in front of all of us. Mind you none of us are white except my mom and oldest brother. We all were in disbelief. My sister, her 2 children, 2 of my brothers, myself and my daughter are all of color (also my 5 cousins, and 4 nieces and nephews) and she said she didn't care. Im still trying to figure out if I ever want my daughter around her again. I knew my grandma wasn't some progressive person but I thought with having sooo many grand and great-grandchildren of color for so many years she wouldn't hold on to such horrible views. Its hurtful more than anything. I haven't said anything to her in months and even before she said that most of us avoided her as much as we could. But now? Man fuck it.

Jul 24, 2020
Don't pay idiotic views any attention.

Doesn't and has never gotten me anywhere. Unless you're maybe trying to convince someone else (instead of the person you're arguing with).

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Mine too except with one of my brothers and my parents. It's an internal struggle every single day.

They believe he was "chosen by God".

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't want to condemn people for cutting toxicity out of their lives, particularly bigoted toxicity that has overbearing detriment towards healthy relationships, it's not a simple situation in all its painful awfulness.

People aren't born or locked into ideological states no matter how ridiculous, bigoted, offensive, hostile, or insane they might seem. The core issue with modern politics, particularly Trumpism, is in the methodology it uses to radicalise people with existing predispositions or susceptibility towards shared ideological values. The goal is to target these people, deconstruct their opposing values, and radicalise them into fanatical, cult-like allegiance to the ideology, usually through classical propaganda techniques now accelerated and emulated by a digital age.

It doesn't excuse their bigotry, however it manifests. Not even slightly. But that's how radicalisation is so effective; divide susceptible individuals and isolate them from support networks, foster fear of conflict, nurture ideological absolutes, erode critical thinking and reasoning, and provide them with the illusion of a warm, welcoming community within that ideology. It's precisely the same methodology that every group aiming to ideologically radicalise uses, whether it be Trumpism and white nationalism, or Islamic radicalisation, or your run of the mill cult, and anything/everything in between.

I've lost a couple of friends to Trump-like thinking, and I'm in Australia. One, a once close friend of mine, married a guy who turned out to be literally a white nationalist/Nazi supporter slowly but surely infested her brain with conspiratorial QAnon bullshit. Now it's the "SJW left" ruining everything, Trump's got it all worked out for America, 5G is giving is covid, Melbourne is under fascist tyranny (we're in lockdowns, and the irony of this statement from her is palpable), yadda yadda.

Shit fucking sucks. I guess the point of my post isn't to dismiss the hardship and toxicity, so much as highlight how fucking insipid this kind of stuff is, or more how dangerous it is in a digital age. Ideological radicalisation has only gotten easier thanks to The Internet, and radicalisation itself has been a challenge for all of human history. It's an extraordinary mental challenge to reconcile retaining relationships with your loved ones while they've fallen victim to said radicalisation, balancing the knowledge that their ideological values are genuinely harmful to many others, they're ultimately arbiters of their own destiny, yet in the same breath isolation and ostracization is precisely what those radicalising want. There's no easy answer, solution, or methodology to combat this. Both as an individual (what you should/shouldn't do, for them, the relationship, and your own health), and on a broader social level. But it is, absolutely, one of the biggest challenges of a modern world and something that is not going to go away for a long time. It's going to require some fundamental reevaluations of our social framework and education.

Good post. It's terrifying. I won't cut my parents out of my life. They raised me, they're mostly apolitical but they'll vote for Trump.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Lets not pretend an idiot like Trump has tricked your family and friends... The ones you are disappointed in because they are/were apparently smart people. Nah, most of the time Trump is merely something for a bunch of hateful people to rally around. Some are idiots, but not all. Hate is the commonality here.

Yep. That's the sad truth. My family became full blown Trumpers, but I could see the signs long before then. That's why their 'transformation' didn't surprise me, because it was just their excuse to tear their masks off and show who they really were all along. That's all.