• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why name military bases after generals who lost the war?

They should be named after winners, not losers.

not even just generals that lost the war-- bragg is considered one of the worst generals of the confederaacy

Bragg is generally considered among the worst generals of the Civil War. Most of the battles in which he engaged ended in defeats. Bragg was extremely unpopular with both the men and the officers of his command, who criticized him for numerous perceived faults, including poor battlefield strategy, a quick temper, and overzealous discipline. Bragg has a generally poor reputation with historians, while some point towards the failures of Bragg's subordinates, especially Leonidas Polk, a close ally of Davis and known enemy of Bragg, as more significant factors in the many Confederate defeats at which Bragg commanded. The losses which Bragg suffered are cited as principal factors in the ultimate defeat of the Confederacy.

the only qualification is fighting for slavery

I learned recently that the Italian general Giuseppe Garibaldi who helped form Italy as a state asked Lincoln if he could help fight in the Civil War. That would have been quite a sight.
Yes, they actually negotiated on that at one point; Lincoln liked the idea both because Garibaldi obviously had experience as a commander, and because he thought Garibaldi could be a PR coup and be spun as a Lafayette-esque figure. It didn't happen because Garibaldi wanted to be supreme commander.

I don't even know who's responsible for the naming of military bases. I assume he doesn't have the power to block it and I hope it happens just to trigger his stupid ass even more.
Current base names are pretty much just chosen by the Department of Defense, so Trump can certainly order the Secretary not to rename them. Congress could override this legislatively if they so chose.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I know internet arguments always devolve into examples with Nazis, but could you imagine fort Hitler, fort Rommel, fort Steiner, etc. in modern day Germany?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Many of them weren't even that good. General Hood's recklessness in his defense of Georgia is what enabled Sherman to start the March to the Sea and sack Atlanta.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Incidentally, Trump wrote this all by himself, like a big boy!
OK, maybe he had some help, but he still tried really hard.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I can't express how stupid it is to name a Military Base after something from the Confederacy which is btw treason.

Oct 27, 2017
gvfqsmcwoof11.jpg

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The worst part is that you know he doesn't really care about any of this - he just saw a few statues get destroyed and thought of a quick way to rile up his base.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any other country that had a failed revolution which resulted in the losing side having monuments built in their name?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The military doesn't like it. The rednecks aren't havin' it (I can call myself that, whole family is from Alabama/GA), and the dead really were embarrassed by the end of it.

But our president from New York is all about the traitors.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I mean racists carried him over the finish line before so why wouldn't he expect it to happen again? After seeing what happened with voting in Georgia yesterday I have little hope that whatever happens in November will be anything close to a fair election.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
What this is not is a coherent thought, but instead it is red meat to the knuckledragging fascist sympathizing lumpenproles who voted for him. Many of them are white supremacists who are sympathetic to the Confederacy or people who view the Confederacy as a symbol of Pride in being white and southern.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The should be a word or term for someone that's beyond racist.

Like, next level, racist 2 or some shit.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like I say in all of these threads, it just took a nation rioting for companies and brands to actually speak out for once. When NASCAR is the bastion of morality when it comes to the confederate flags? Good god. Lmao.