• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/tr...ilitary-bases-named-for-confederate-traitors/

A desperate President Donald Trump is working hard to ensure he does not lose any more of his die-hard base, despite polls showing he is slipping in every key demographic.

On Wednesday afternoon Trump entered the national conversation over renaming U.S. Military bases that are currently named to honor Confederate traitors who fought against the United States in the Civil War, by dog-whistling to his supporters.

"It has been suggested that we should rename as many as 10 of our Legendary Military Bases, such as Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Fort Hood in Texas, Fort Benning in Georgia, etc.," Trump tweeted.

"These Monumental and very Powerful Bases have become part of a Great American Heritage, and a history of Winning, Victory, and Freedom. The United States of America trained and deployed our HEROES on these Hallowed Grounds, and won two World Wars," he added, demeaning America's fighting forces by suggesting, superstitiously that they get their power from treasonous traitors.

Shit. Is there a movement for the renaming, or is this reaction to the confederate flag being banned from the Marine and Army?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
You'd think that Trump of all people would want to rename them cause the Confederacy lost and he lates losers.

But then again its Trump.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/tr...ilitary-bases-named-for-confederate-traitors/

Shit. Is there a movement for the renaming, or is this reaction to the conferate flag being banned from the Marine and Army?
Petreaus recently wrote an article about renaming bases named after traitors that's getting a lot of play:

www.theatlantic.com

Take the Confederate Names Off Our Army Bases

It is time to remove the names of traitors like Benning and Bragg from our country’s most important military installations.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Uh huh. Makes it sound like US won the world wars themselves. "Winning" what was the last war they won again? "Victory" just another term for winning, he had to repeat it. "Freedom" only for white rich people.

In other words, "keep the racist side of history alive." Never seen a country hold on to their racist heritage so hard.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this would be like, the easiest win. nothing stopping him from throwing other kinds of red meat to the base. is it not supposed to be maga, not mcga

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Why name military bases after generals who lost the war?

They should be named after winners, not losers.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wasn't aware this was even a thing. Of course Trump is against it. I lol'd when he said history of winning. OK.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, most powerful military naming their bases after a bunch of losers that went against said military

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Trump: Do you think they'll let me name one Fort Trump?
Staff: No, sir. I don't think that's going to fly.
Trump: WE CANNOT RENAME ANYTHING!

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'd rather they be named after the Empire generals. At least they went down fighting.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Trump went full 1984 a long time ago so it should surprise nobody that he likens the defense of those who fought for slavery, and lost, as "Winning, Victory and Freedom".

"War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength".

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I learned recently that the Italian general Giuseppe Garibaldi who helped form Italy as a state asked Lincoln if he could help fight in the Civil War. That would have been quite a sight.

Rename all bases Giuseppe bc the idea is cool

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Why name military bases after generals who lost the war?

They should be named after winners, not losers.

Some of those generals like Bragg were really inept too.

Like you can sort of understand Robert E. Lee who was tactically brilliant (and was a hero in the Mexican-American war before turning traitor) getting a base named after him, but a lot of the rest would be forgotten if they didn't have bases named after them.

Oct 3, 2019
I don't even know who's responsible for the naming of military bases. I assume he doesn't have the power to block it and I hope it happens just to trigger his stupid ass even more.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
He loves people exactly like himself, so of course he'll maintain the names of losers.

Oct 25, 2017
What's weird about some of them is that they're named after some of the worst generals. Bragg was probably the worst general the Confederacy had, while Hood was an embodiment of the peter principle—he was a tremendously effective officer but did worse the more responsibilities he was given.

Nov 16, 2017
I know this isn't the point of the post, but every random capitalization makes me want to slap the phone out of his hands and scream at him.

I always want to scream at him, but my point remains.