• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can see the Veto route. Helps him save face.

Doesn't exactly point to a short shutdown though. Hence why I'm not exactly feeling optimistic.

He cannot force a veto because it essentially makes him a lame duck. It would be much better for him politically to sign the first bill with protest.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
So I feel like I'm missing something about this standoff.

Trump originally said he wanted a concrete wall all along the southern border, which seemed laughable given the distances and terrain involved. Apparently this would cost 10s of billions of dollars or something. But that's not what he's asking for anymore. Now it sounds like he wants fencing that would cost 5 billion dollars... except he keeps calling it a wall instead of a fence so that he could say he kept his promise I guess. But there's already fencing along the border in many places? So what is his 5 billion supposed to pay for? Fencing all the way across the border? I don't get that impression. More fencing in more places? That doesn't seem like such a huge issue.

This makes me feel like this whole standoff is a bunch of BS from both sides

Quoted to the part I gave up.

*why* would you ever feel "there HAS to be a Both Sides here!"

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Trump originally said he wanted a concrete wall all along the southern border, which seemed laughable given the distances and terrain involved. Apparently this would cost 10s of billions of dollars or something. But that's not what he's asking for anymore. Now it sounds like he wants fencing that would cost 5 billion dollars... except he keeps calling it a wall instead of a fence so that he could say he kept his promise I guess. But there's already fencing along the border in many places? So what is his 5 billion supposed to pay for? Fencing all the way across the border? I don't get that impression. More fencing in more places? That doesn't seem like such a huge issue.

This makes me feel like this whole standoff is a bunch of BS from both sides, with the governement workers caught in the middle. Like maybe if Trump had said "Ok, I give up, we won't build a wall because Dems won't let me. But how about we just put into the border budget some additional money for some extra fencing?" Then it might be seen as a reasonable compromise (and is in fact what he's asking for). But of course Trump is the worst negotiator ever, and cares more about being viewed as 'winning', then actually achieving his goal.. so he won't do this.

On the flip side, if this really isn't as big of a deal as the Dems are making it out to be, then maybe they could use this opportunity to get some unrelated legislation passed. Like tell Trump, we'll give you some fence money if we pass some gun control legislation (or whatever). Instead it's like they have to just keep saying 0 dollars for any barrier related shit at the southern border because 'fuck trump' to not look like political losers.

Anyway, correct my if I'm wrong, but I don't really see this as purely Trump being evil and the Dems defending the forces of goodness. It just seems like political BS all around.
False. The budget passed in both chambers under a GOP majority with a GOP POTUS, who didn't sign it. Then it passed comfortably in the Dem-led House and Mitch won't bring it to a re-vote in the Senate even though it passed 100-0 a couple of weeks ago, because POTUS won't sign it, despite it having passed both chambers which were either bipartisan or GOP controlled. This is not a "both sides" issue.

Oct 27, 2017

This makes me feel like this whole standoff is a bunch of BS from both sides, with the governement workers caught in the middle. Like maybe if Trump had said "Ok, I give up, we won't build a wall because Dems won't let me. But how about we just put into the border budget some additional money for some extra fencing?" Then it might be seen as a reasonable compromise (and is in fact what he's asking for). But of course Trump is the worst negotiator ever, and cares more about being viewed as 'winning', then actually achieving his goal.. so he won't do this.

On the flip side, if this really isn't as big of a deal as the Dems are making it out to be, then maybe they could use this opportunity to get some unrelated legislation passed. Like tell Trump, we'll give you some fence money if we pass some gun control legislation (or whatever). Instead it's like they have to just keep saying 0 dollars for any barrier related shit at the southern border because 'fuck trump' to not look like political losers.

Anyway, correct my if I'm wrong, but I don't really see this as purely Trump being evil and the Dems defending the forces of goodness. It just seems like political BS all around.
The Democrats have ALREADY CAPITULATED ON ADDITIONAL BORDER SECURITY FUNDING.... Jesus.

Schumer extended an olive branch of $1.6 Billion for "Border Security." The Republicans saw this as sufficient and the temporary bill was UNANIMOUSLY passed in the Senate in 2018.

Trump now (for nothing in return) is demanding $5 Billion explicitly for the wall (as a down-payment for something that will cost $20 Billion).

This is a MASSIVE DEAL, because this is the President of the United States holding the country hostage, when there was already a bi-partisan solution and compromise in place.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is gonna last months isn't it
I don't think so. Trump will eventually cave and probably try the emergency powers shit so he has an excuse to reopen the government and just blame dems.

This looks fucking awful for him. The longer this continues the more his approval rating sinks, and we all know he won't like that.

There is no winning. Trump already said he would own it, he's on tape. Nothing good comes from this.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that, at this point, he only wants the wall so that he gets his way. He can't stand the fact that you can say no to him, the president.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018

Laura Rozen
Trump reportedly told broadcast hosts at lunch yesterday he did not want to do oval address or border visit either
https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1083114904834445313

Sam Stein
Per source familiar:

Schumer: you're using people as leverage. why won't you open the government and stop hurting people?

POTUS: because then you won't give me what I want
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1083111388787232771

First one is a big ol' OF COURSE HE DID because come on, who wouldn't have guessed that.

Second is just...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
We know.

What's worse is that it could work too. It really could.

No earthly idea why so many of you are positive that Trump will lose on this, especially when the pain really begins. You're playing chicken with someone who believes they're driving a tank.

Because people are already blaming him heavily and it's only growing.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
He cannot force a veto because it essentially makes him a lame duck. It would be much better for him politically to sign the first bill with protest.

We're talking about a guy who shut down the government because ann coulter blocked him on twitter.

Reason, logic, adult reactions, planning, remove all of these things.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

lmao foh with this "both sides" crap. You couldn't be any more disingenuous and transparent if you tried.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, he really has no shame in taking the country hostage

He's using his exact same strategy that he uses to stiff contractors into less money than they were initially contracted for. Hold out, refuse to pay, refuse to pay, refuse to speak to them until they get desperate and take the lowball "offer" he provides them.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

A lot of the Democrats that were just elected ran on a platform of "no wall." It would look awful if they came in and said "well, we ran on 'no wall,' but we are going to give him some money for the wall anyway." Plus all border experts and the people working the border have said that money would be better spent on upgrading equipment and technologies to monitor the border, and a wall won't do anything.

But this isn't over an actual wall, this is about Trump looking like he is a powerful guy and appeasing his base. A major campaign promise from him was "we're going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it." Two years into his presidency he has nothing to show for it. When Republicans controlled both chambers of Congress, they could have easily passed legislation to pay for the wall. But they didn't because building a wall on the Mexican border is something Americans do not want. If it was something Americans wanted, it would have passed easily in the previous two years.

I think we're quick to forget that the shutdown happened before Democrats took over the House. The Republican controlled House and Senate could not come to an agreement before Christmas. I think now it's a bigger deal to Trump since the Democrats control the House, so he is trying to make it look like their obstructing.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're talking about a guy who shut down the government because ann coulter blocked him on twitter.

Reason, logic, adult reactions, planning, remove all of these things.

We'll see... I think he'll try his emergency declaration before he lets it get to a veto override.

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

telling the president that he can pout, offer no compromises, and hold millions of lives hostage to get whatever he wants seems like a bad idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
CNN: "The average of polls taken since the shutdown began indicate that Americans are blaming Republicans for the shutdown. In the average, about 50% think Trump is most to blame, 35% think congressional Democrats are most to blame and about 5% think congressional Republicans are most to blame."

So I guess Trump has the most to lose (out of the two sides) if this stalemate continues.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
This is gonna last months isn't it
Doubtful. This Friday will be the first day that workers don't get a paycheck they were supposed to get, and hell will break loose. Like most people in America they don't have a huge amount of savings to fall back on and will need to find new work, and then the beginning of February poor folks stop getting their government checks... and a lot of them are Trump voters who depend on SNAP/food stamps/etc to live.

I don't see it getting to Feb in the first place but if it does it'll end shortly into that month in one way or another.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Can someone just photoshop a fake FoxNews headline saying he got his wall and send it to him?

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The wall is an absolutely stupid idea....

But at what point does a cost to benefit ratio tick over and cost the american economy the same amount of money in losses when these people cannot put food on the table....

I am not American, but I see everyone here cheering on a smug old white lady who probably lives the same sort of charmed life that trump lives. Neither her or Trump are suffering....

Why not come to some sort of deal.... sometimes you gotta drop ideologies so people can eat.

Maybe not living under president dumbarse means I am not opposed enough, but politicians do dumb shit all the time... look at what shit they are doing with the FCCs blessings and that has longer term fallout than a wall.
Because if the democrats cave then it's over. This is a fight for any semblance of control over the next 2 years. If Democrats cave then republicans do this every time they want something.

Also fuck this compromise shit I'm in it to win now

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
the next point of weakness is Rs vulnerable in the next election chipping away at turtle wax mitch. the political will of the people is already pressure on them.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Discussion is fine, the problem is that "both sides" posts in threads or topics like these are more often than not lazy and disingenuous, and not made by people who actually have no actual interest in engaging in discussion and have zero ability to back up those claims in any meaningful way, and when called out on it inevitably end with "I'm just asking questions/I'm not even from this country/ERA is no different from the old site" before claiming they are leaving the thread.