• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
He always talks with that hand motion.... I don't even notice it any more. He is racist, I don't need anything else to help me reach that conclusion .

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The sign comes from him in the first place...

Ironically enough, its just a speech pattern thing for him, its the nazis and racists who co-opted it that you gotta look out for.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Are you trying to get that hard proof that is necessary to prove he's a white supremacist? That won't change anything. Everybody already knows that. It's what defines his followers versus his haters.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Forgive me if I assume an open White Supremacist is using White Supremacy signage. Whether it was intentional or not I feel fine assuming it was. It's not like Trump will go out of his way to prove it wasn't it. He doesn't give a shit.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I can't really imagine someone of Trump's age being hip to all the hot new racist hand gestures the kids are doing.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You're giving him too much credit, the man doesn't have the brain to understand what a "secret" or subliminal message is.
Edit: And we already know from a vast array of sources and examples that he's a fucking racist piece of shit, this doesn't change anything even if it were true.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
GettyImages_830755836.0.jpg

stone-proudboys.jpg

C6qo-gEW0AUQbxa.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much just this thing his does when he speaks. I'd love to attribute it to him being racist, of course, but the symbol is meant for people who hide their racism -- Trump doesn't hide, nor does he need to hide, his racism.

Oct 25, 2017
Trump has such a combo of racism and narcissism that there's no way he would ever try to use a secret hand signal willingly. He's just be blatantly racist and not give a shit.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
milo-handsign.jpg

1*SUlZROYKqnrn1m4iUFAtpA.jpeg

tikifasces-3.jpg

Y'all need to understand that we have no reason to give Trump the benefit of the doubt. You really think he doesn't know what it means?

C'mon mate. Really?

You are feeding into a 4chan hoax that's been ironically coopted by alt right kiddies.

this is one of those times that giving something power for... no reason(?) doesn't make sense. Like you can probably find tons of pictures of clearly not alt right people doing the ok sign.

960x0.jpg

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this is one of those times that giving something power for... no reason(?) doesn't make sense. Like you can probably find tons of pictures of clearly not alt right people doing the ok sign.
intent is important

these people are posing and showing off the OK signal with a specific intent

in that photo AOC is just speaking

which is why i dont thing Trump is signalling anything in this speach, he just does it because he wants to look the part. he could use it while saying 'sandwich' tomorrow

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why should we care that Trump's typical hand gesture has a small chance that he used it as a white power symbol when he's already said some neo nazis are good people?
I think giving him the benefit of the doubt is worse.
You are feeding into a 4chan hoax that's been ironically coopted by alt right kiddies.
It started as a 4chan hoax and became used ironically but not ironically by plenty of people.
When a white Republican figurehead of the alt-right is doing it while criticizing a progressive woman I'm not going to give the benefit of the doubt.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon mate. Really?

Does it really matter that it started as a hoax or that it was ironically co-opted? Regardless it's been co-opted. Alt-right Nazis use it. Now does that mean everyone doing it is a Nazi? No, but that's also part of the idea behind co-opting it. Context matters.

All that said, do I think Trump is using the symbol here specifically as an alt-right symbol? No. He's been doing that as a hand tick for years (probably decades) now and it's obvious he's emphasizing the "O" in AOC. Again, context matters. Though none of that changes the fact that he's a racist scumbag.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
There is a very large difference between people on the right intentionally posing with this hand signal versus Trump gesturing this mid-speech like he has done long before it was co-opted by white supremacists. Trump is a racist, but you dont need to go paranoid about this shit.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, this is something I'm not buying. To me, its some serious tin foil hat conspiracy shit. I think Trump is racist, but he does it all the time, as do a lot of people. I was watching a fighting game tournament awhile back and a lot of players would do that gesture towards the camera...white and non white people btw. I think its more of a cheeky thing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Conspiracy shit? Look at the photos linked above. All of those people are openly racist and yet they are making hand signals. Its part of their thing.

They got it from him. He does it because he's a shitty public speaker and doesn't know what the fuck to do with his hands when he's reciting something or reading a teleprompter. He literally just told these women to "go back to where they came from", he doesn't have to be subliminally racist. He's full blown wide open racist. And doesn't give a shit.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think giving him the benefit of the doubt is worse.

It started as a 4chan hoax and became used ironically but not ironically by plenty of people.

When a white Republican figurehead of the alt-right is doing it while criticizing a progressive woman I'm not going to give the benefit of the doubt.

Someone clearly using that gesture while they are speaking (and I'm sure I could spend time and dig up every time he's done it while speaking) does not automatically make it a white power signal, even if that person is Donald Trump.

What will we do when 4chan has another hoax saying that the Vulcan peace sign is now a white symbol and some alt right kiddies start ironically using it as such? Are we going to stop having it in Star Trek?

Stop feeding into their bullshit. This is what they want.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump has been making that gesture with his hands since the 1980s. He always gestures to emphasize.

Some of you all need to lay off the crazy pills that this is some secret white power symbol that he is making to his base in plain view.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I always assumed Trump making this sign all the damn time was what made racists try to claim it as their own?

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Donald Trump is a racist piece of shit, and I don't need made up conspiracies to prove that to me.

Seriously. Google "Donald Trump hand gestures", this guy literally makes the ok sign with his hand like 100 times a speech. He does it constantly.

Is it possible he did this shit on purpose? Absolutely

Do I think this is probably just a coincidence that makes people look paranoid? Absolutely

You know he's a racist. I know he's a racist. Lets not stoop to this kind of dumb shit to try and prove it, like anyone even needs to.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He does this all the time.

There are things he's actually doing that are worth getting upset about, not this.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Someone clearly using that gesture while they are speaking (and I'm sure I could spend time and dig up every time he's done it while speaking) does not automatically make it a white power signal, even if that person is Donald Trump.

What will we do when 4chan has another hoax saying that the Vulcan peace sign is now a white symbol and some alt right kiddies start ironically using it as such? Are we going to stop having it in Star Trek?

Stop feeding into their bullshit. This is what they want.
Ironically?

You think any white power signs being thrown up by alt right kiddies are actually ironic?

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. He's racist
2. He makes that sign all the time for decades because he has tiny hands
3. The "circle sign" is now literally a white power "dog whistle"
4. Check my post history on this racist bag of shit
5. Let's not stoop to their level of freeze frame context shaming since we don't need to and they literally do racist shit every day all the time
6. Their favorite shit is to take tiny errors like this OP and use them as evidence of holistic logical failure

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
One thing I can't wait for after this asshole isn't president anymore is for the OK symbol to be disassociate with white supremacy. I know there is legitimate concerns with the sign being co-opted by the alt right but I feel like I'M the conspiracy theorist when I point this out.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're well past the point of Trump being shy with his dog whistles and gestures.

Also, I think if you're going to make fun of Trump, one if the first things you do is hold up an O with your fingers while you talk. He's always done that as far back as I can remember.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
We are never going to wake up from this nightmare because the people who have the power to stop this don't want to do jack shit. And it doesn't seem like there's gonna be a revolution or civil war either because no one wants to get their hands dirty or organize. I swear, I don't have it in me if we have to go through another four years of this after 2020.

Do you REALLY want to fight a civil war over this dumb piece of shit?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He does this all the time.

There are things he's actually doing that are worth getting upset about, not this.
1. He's racist
2. He makes that sign all the time for decades because he has tiny hands
3. The "circle sign" is now literally a white power "dog whistle"
4. Check my post history on this racist bag of shit
5. Let's not stoop to their level of freeze frame context shaming since we don't need to and they literally do racist shit every day all the time
6. Their favorite shit is to take tiny errors like this OP and use them as evidence of holistic logical failure
He always talks with that hand motion.... I don't even notice it any more. He is racist, I don't need anything else to help me reach that conclusion .

And with this, wrap it up.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A 4Chan hoax is what started this.

It isn't a hoax. At least, it isn't anymore. It absolutely can be a white power sign based upon context. Plausible deniability is part of the game, here. They deliberately chose the a-ok sign as part of the smokescreen. If you see a couple alt-right people flashing a-ok signs in situations where it ordinarily wouldn't be used, then it's a white power sign. Regardless of how it all started, that's how it's being used.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't a hoax. At least, it isn't anymore. It absolutely can be a white power sign based upon context. Plausible deniability is part of the game, here. They deliberately chose the a-ok sign as part of the smokescreen. If you see a couple alt-right people flashing a-ok signs in situations where it ordinarily wouldn't be used, then it's a white power sign. Regardless of how it all started, that's how it's being used.

Yeah my point in this thread is that he's not using it as a white power symbol and that allowing it to be a white power symbol because of a 4chan troll is fucking stupid.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This situation is most likely a coincidence as Trump has been using the OK symbol in public for a long time. As there are plenty of other more substantive criticisms of Trump, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.