• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
If you think it's ok to pick on someone's weight then either go all in and do it to everybody or don't do it at all and criticise the stuff that actually matters.
If Trump was 6'2 and 180 pounds and could run a half marathon in an hour and a half, he'd still be a prick.
You just lower yourself to his level.

No, I don't. I couldn't lower myself to his level if I tried. Furthermore, he is a public figure and a grade A cunt at that, and as far as I am concerned that makes mocking him not in the least comparable to bulliying a normal person over their weight. I wouldn't do that either. But the two positions are not remotely comparable.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Decent speech from Corbyn. Not a fan generally but he made good points and seemed to care about what he was saying.
I still think he should engage with Trump as leader of the opposition though.

As Null said, he's good when he's talking about what he cares about, it's why he made so many gains last election. Annoying that Brexit isn't one of them.
I agree he should engage with Trump but the opportunity he was given was not to engage with Trump it was to help fluff him up with the rest of the government. Personally, I think he chose the better option of joining the protest.

Corbyn apparently asked to meet with Trump, but Trump said no.

I wonder how truthful that is...
0%

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Him saying there were thousands of people cheering him and there's no protests and they're fake news while Maybot was standing there nodding. Fucking hell.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Nah, he did ask to meet.

It would have been a very short one, Trump doesn't do criticism from what we have seen.

I agree he has the leverage but there's also the politics in both countries, a Democrat controlled Congress who want the Irish issue dealt with, and of course our own political situation.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Imagine thinking fat shaming is fine just because of who it's targeted at. Would you be fine with someone racially abusing a black Republican?

I can't think of a reason that you would casually work racism into in conversation about DJT's appearance.

It's almost like you're trying to provoke people instead of actually trying to make a point.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, he did ask to meet.

It would have been a very short one, Trump doesn't do criticism from what we have seen.
Fair. I guess he wanted to actually have more of a confrontation than the PR dinner party would allow for.

I can't think of a reason that you would casually work racism into in conversation about DJT's appearance.

It's almost like you're trying to provoke people instead of actually trying to make a point.
Because they're making a perfectly valid point about fat shaming. If you think fat shaming is fine, that says more about you than anything else.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
No, I don't. I couldn't lower myself to his level if I tried. Furthermore, he is a public figure and a grade A cunt at that, and as far as I am concerned that makes mocking him not in the least comparable to bulliying a normal person over their weight. I wouldn't do that either. But the two positions are not remotely comparable.

If someone at work was a prick and you didn't get on with them and they were overweight, you'd think it's ok to mock them about it?
Or is just because he's in the public eye?

You're basically saying that it's ok to bully/shame public figures if you happen to not like them.
If he was black would you call him out on that? No, because there's nothing wrong with being black. So you must subconsciously think that being overweight is to be frowned upon / worthy of disdain because otherwise you wouldn't mention it. Otherwise why bother?

Power Out

Alt account
Banned
May 27, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory point of comparison

I said "black Republican", not Trump. If you're fine with engaging in a form of bigotry against someone because they are a despicable person, do carry on. But maybe consider how people who have to deal with that bigotry in their everyday life feel seeing it gleefully being deployed by people who profess to be better than that.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
As Null said, he's good when he's talking about what he cares about, it's why he made so many gains last election. Annoying that Brexit isn't one of them.
I agree he should engage with Trump but the opportunity he was given was not to engage with Trump it was to help fluff him up with the rest of the government. Personally, I think he chose the better option of joining the protest.

0%

Yeah I tend to agree on balance. How much engagement can you actually get when eating a 14 course banquet followed by Cognac and Cigars in the drawing room.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Trump is a know-nothing narcissist. Going after him for being fat is perfectly acceptable. It comes with the territory when you build up a false persona and pretend that you're someone you're not.

Oct 31, 2017
If someone at work was a prick and you didn't get on with them and they were overweight, you'd think it's ok to mock them about it?
Or is just because he's in the public eye?

You're basically saying that it's ok to bully/shame public figures if you happen to not like them.
If he was black would you call him out on that? No, because there's nothing wrong with being black. So you must subconsciously think that being overweight is to be frowned upon / worthy of disdain because otherwise you wouldn't mention it. Otherwise why bother?

Yes, it is absolutely fine to mock public figures who are evil pieces of shit. Or do you think Trump is just 'someone I don't agree with'? I think he is a dangerous fascist doing great damage to both his own country and the wider world. That is not merely a minor disagreement over what we like to eat or the correct colour for a coat. Furthermore, obesity is not equvalent to race or ethnicity.
Public figures who use their position to do nothing but harm others and enrich themselves should absolutely be mocked, jeered at and demeaned at every opportunity. It is often quite literally the only way the average person can get back at the scum, and frankly this handwringing over calling the fat piece of shit fat is bizarre. One of the things I like about the UK is our history of extremely rude satire, from Hogarth to Spitting Image, and I hope it's a tradition that continues.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah that's bollocks. If he was black or gay it wouldn't be ok to mock that even if he was a prick.
You're just stooping to his level.

I'm not defending making fun of Trump for his weight, but I will say that comparing being overweight with being black or gay is problematic to me. I know there are many people that struggle with obesity, but he's in a position of privilege, if he wanted to get a personal trainer, a chef, a nutritionist, etc, he could. There isn't changing being black and gay, that's just who you are.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yes, it is absolutely fine to mock public figures who are evil pieces of shit. Or do you think Trump is just 'someone I don't agree with'? I think he is a dangerous fascist doing great damage to both his own country and the wider world. That is not merely a minor disagreement over what we like to eat or the correct colour for a coat. Furthermore, obesity is not equvalent to race or ethnicity.
Public figures who use their position to do nothing but harm others and enrich themselves should absolutely be mocked, jeered at and demeaned at every opportunity. It is often quite literally the only way the average person can get back at the scum, and frankly this handwringing over calling the fat piece of shit fat is bizarre. One of the things I like about the UK is our history of extremely rude satire, from Hogarth to Spitting Image, and I hope it's a tradition that continues.

Have you been and protested if you feel that strongly or are you just hanging about on an internet forum?
Because if that's all you're doing, you're being quite melodramatic about it. If you think posting that Trump is a fat bastard on an internet forum is "getting back at him" then I don't know what to tell you.

Still, you're saying it's ok to have double standards, which is fine - that's your view....

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
D8KbH2oUYAQiR3t.jpg

D8KtfFwXUAAswu2.jpg:large

I can't breath..

th

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm not defending making fun of Trump for his weight, but I will say that comparing being overweight with being black or gay is problematic to me. I know there are many people that struggle with obesity, but he's in a position of privilege, if he wanted to get a personal trainer, a chef, a nutritionist, etc, he could. There isn't changing being black and gay, that's just who you are.

Nah you're probably right, it's not the same thing. I just think it's a bit cheap.

I really dislike the guy but I'd rather focus on things like what a complete fucking hypocrite he is, having the brass balls to stand up at a podium and dismiss Corbyn as a "negative force" because people "shouldn't criticise. I don't like critics", after all of the decent people he's criticised. I'd feel that way whether he was fat/thin/tall/short/black/white/gay/straight/bi/left-wing/right-wing or whatever other adjective we could badge him with.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant stop laughing at his clothes. Who is dressing him lmao.

I know you cant control what comes out of his mouth but at least you could dress him up somewhat respectably. He is still the head of a state.

Oct 31, 2017
Have you been and protested if you feel that strongly or are you just hanging about on an internet forum?
Because if that's all you're doing, you're being quite melodramatic about it. If you think posting that Trump is a fat bastard on an internet forum is "getting back at him" then I don't know what to tell you.

Still, you're saying it's ok to have double standards, which is fine - that's your view....

Ok. In the first place, yes, I have protested. The first major protest I went to was against the Iraq war in 2003. I have been to a fair few since, for whatever that is worth. Secondly, you can fuck right off with your double standards. The position of someone in the street and the position of the Trumps of the world are not even remotely comparable. Your entire argument is based on false equivalency, and I suspect you know it.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly Trump has probably done more for reaminers in one day than any politician in this country has done in 3 years.

If anything sobers people up to the reality of drifting from the EU this is should be it.

Depends if spineless May and her Tory party make a stand against his NHS remarks or not... which they won't, so yeah, should help further the public narrative around how much the Tories don't care about the NHS/avoid Brexit & Trump.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Ok. In the first place, yes, I have protested. The first major protest I went to was against the Iraq war in 2003. I have been to a fair few since, for whatever that is worth. Secondly, you can fuck right off with your double standards. The position of someone in the street and the position of the Trumps of the world are not even remotely comparable. Your entire argument is based on false equivalency, and I suspect you know it.

Fine. I don't think it's necessary to bring physical characteristics into it, and you think it's fair game. I'm not sure we're going to get any further with this particular discussion.

Power Out

Alt account
Banned
May 27, 2019
All you're doing by making fun of his weight and arguing it's fine because he's a repellant person is telling people who face discrimination based on their weight "Look we all secretly think being fat is bad and something people should be mocked for but we're just not saying it to your face because we otherwise like you". Such a great message!

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Nah you're probably right, it's not the same thing. I just think it's a bit cheap.

I really dislike the guy but I'd rather focus on things like what a complete fucking hypocrite he is, having the brass balls to stand up at a podium and dismiss Corbyn as a "negative force" because people "shouldn't criticise. I don't like critics", after all of the decent people he's criticised. I'd feel that way whether he was fat/thin/tall/short/black/white/gay/straight/bi/left-wing/right-wing or whatever other adjective we could badge him with.

Yes, no one has ever criticized his hypocrisy, policies, actions and words. We're all just so hypnotized by his ill-fitting suit.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
Nah that's bollocks. If he was black or gay it wouldn't be ok to mock that even if he was a prick.
You're just stooping to his level.
Hmm I dunno, we mock Pence about his sexuality constantly, and despite being a gay guy I don't care. The joke isn't that he's fat, the joke is that he's so obsessed with lying about his appearance despite clear visual evidence to the contrary. There's a difference between mocking someone for their appearance and mocking someone for lying about themselves.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Hmm I dunno, we mock Pence about his sexuality constantly, and despite being a gay guy I don't care. The joke isn't that he's fat, the joke is that he's so obsessed with lying about his appearance despite clear visual evidence to the contrary. There's a difference between mocking someone for their appearance and mocking someone for lying about themselves.

Now that I think is fair game. That wasn't how I read some of the posts in this thread though. But sure, mock him for having the Emperors New Clothes, I think that's fair enough.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
Now that I think is fair game. That wasn't how I read some of the posts in this thread though. But sure, mock him for having the Emperors New Clothes, I think that's fair enough.
I think that it's implied whenever we make fun of Trump's appearance that it's not because there's actually anything wrong with the things we're mocking on their own. Instead, it's pointing out the sad irony that all these people in the Trump admin are obsessed with appearance and "genetic superiority" yet hold so many of the traits that they themselves mock others for.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I think that it's implied whenever we make fun of Trump's appearance that it's not because there's actually anything wrong with the things we're mocking on their own. Instead, it's pointing out the sad irony that all these people in the Trump admin are obsessed with appearance and "genetic superiority" yet hold so many of the traits that they themselves mock others for.
this,
and that he lies about his weight, health and physical prowess constantly

so Trump's physique is fair game

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

Most high-ranking politicians seem to be fairly obsessed with image and in this day and age I can understand why. They're also surrounded by yes men and women who I'm sure stroke their egos at every given opportunity.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Why not stick to criticisms about those things?

Apparently you literally don't "get it".

Why are you fighting so hard to get people to "be nice" about Trumps weight? When they're simply making fun of his OWN comments about himself and others.

You don't appear to understand irony, satire, etc. Note the "FAT BABY" helium balloon that they're flying in the UK. They're not "fat shaming" people in general.

Saying that people are "Fat Shaming" Trump and being bigots is completely disconnected from the reality of the situation.

Does you defending him getting attacked in that way make you a "fascist" that's on his side? No, I would hope not. That's a comparison, like the ones you're making, that goes beyond the reality of the situation (hopefully).

People attacking a horrible human being that destroys the lives of others does NOT make them the same as that person. Don't be kind to evil people....being kind to them isn't how you treat them. Never be kind to evil.

Power Out

Alt account
Banned
May 27, 2019
Apparently you literally don't "get it".

Why are you fighting so hard to get people to "be nice" about Trumps weight? When they're simply making fun of his OWN comments about himself and others.

You don't appear to understand irony, satire, etc. Note the "FAT BABY" helium balloon that they're flying in the UK. They're not "fat shaming" people in general.

Saying that people are "Fat Shaming" Trump and being bigots is completely disconnected from the reality of the situation.

Does you defending him getting attacked in that way make you a "fascist" that's on his side? No, I would hope not. That's a comparison, like the ones you're making, that goes beyond the reality of the situation (hopefully).

People attacking a horrible human being that destroys the lives of others does NOT make them the same as that person. Don't be kind to evil people....being kind to them isn't how you treat them. Never be kind to evil.
I'm not asking people to "be nice". I'm asking for them to not use his weight as a line of attack, because god forbid you consider how attacking him for that makes other people who face that kind of abuse feel.
Feel free to be as nasty as you like to him about other things that don't involve using abuse that a wider marginalised group faces on a daily basis.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
I'm not asking people to "be nice". I'm asking for them to not use his weight as a line of attack, because god forbid you consider how attacking him for that makes other people who face that kind of abuse feel.
Feel free to be as nasty as you like to him about other things that don't involve using abuse that a wider marginalised group faces on a daily basis.
Again, the mocking is not about him being overweight, it's about him lying about his appearance. It just so happens the thing he's lying about is him being clearly overweight. When you lie about yourself and mock other people for their appearance, it opens you up to these kinds of attacks, in the same way people mock Pence over his sexuality. It's using his own hatred against him.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
honestly Trump has probably done more for reaminers in one day than any politician in this country has done in 3 years.

If anything sobers people up to the reality of drifting from the EU this is should be it.

I doubt it. You can't reason with these people. They probably think Britain is a big player and can throw it's empire weight around so we shouldn't worry about that. 5th biggest economy in the world is what all Brexiters wheel out when facts stare them in the face. Leaving the EU is worth anything to them.

As for Scotland I don't know how the NHS there stands up if Independence happens, the share is quite decent all things considered while in the UK.

Power Out

Alt account
Banned
May 27, 2019
Again, the mocking is not about him being overweight, it's about him lying about his appearance. It just so happens the thing he's lying about is him being clearly overweight. When you lie about yourself and mock other people for their appearance, it opens you up to these kinds of attacks, in the same way people mock Pence over his sexuality. It's using his own hatred against him.

There absolutely is mocking going on that is not some nuanced reference to the self image he tries to project. There are plenty of people who saw that photo of him from last night and basically responded with something with no more nuance than "look at that fat fuck".

SynthFetish

Oct 27, 2017
Nosgoth, Leviathan

I mean, if an overweight person called others fat pigs and had their doctor lie to say they were a physically fit superhuman. I'd say that's well within the realm to make fun of because you know, hypocrisy, irony, satire.

Try not to confuse direct remarks about trump as remarks about other individuals.