• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I love how we are 6 months into this pandemic and people are still saying "Give Trump a chance." Dude doesn't care.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Probably this? Antibody Drugs Advancing to Fill Covid-19 Treatment Gap
The drugs, which are injected intravenously or with a short needle, have the potential to work soon after someone is infected and still feeling only slightly sick, stopping the virus in its tracks before the seriously afflicted would need to be hospitalized.

The monoclonal antibodies might also prevent infection in healthy people, though likely only for about a month. If the promise bears out during testing, the drugs could stand in as a type of temporary vaccine for people at high risk of infection, such as nursing-home residents and possibly health-care workers.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Monoclonal antibodies are usually ridiculously expensive initially so I am hopeful that it could be useful for a few people good luck trying to peddle that as something to protect us all

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
1b0f2f99-38b0-43b5-a217-918120df8b23_screenshot.jpg

Zamorro

Oct 25, 2017
Everything Trump does, originates in something that he saw on Fox News, so I think it may be related to this news article from Wednesday:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fda-...ion-blood-plasma-coronavirus-treatment-report

Trump, in his paranoia, may have concluded that Fauci stopped the authorization because he wants Trump to lose the election.

But I may be wrong and it's something entirely different.

Last week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was planning to release an emergency use authorization (EUA) for blood plasma as a treatment against COVID-19. But the authorization is now on pause after top experts, namely Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Francis Collins, reportedly stepped in saying the evidence was not strong enough to do so at this time, according to a new report.

Dr. H. Clifford Lane, deputy clinical director at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, said the authorization was put "on hold for now" while more data is under review. However, emergency approval is still possible; Lane noted that it "could still be issued in the near future," according to the report from The New York Times.

A spokesperson for the FDA did not immediately return Fox News' request for comment on Wednesday.

Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, and Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, reportedly urged FDA officials to "hold off" on the authorization, pointing to new data on plasma transfusions from the Mayo Clinic. The study found that convalescent plasma with higher antibody levels transfused to hospitalized COVID-19 patients "significantly reduced mortality" as compared to transfused plasma with low antibody levels. However, Fauci and Collins reportedly believe the study lacks strong enough data to justify an emergency use authorization.

Doctors have hailed plasma transfusions as an effective coronavirus treatment for months, and hospitals and the American Red Cross have been recruiting volunteers to donate plasma to ill coronavirus patients. The idea is that antibodies in the plasma from recovered COVID-19 cases transfused to critically ill COVID-19 patients will help fight or neutralize the disease.

The FDA approves emergency use authorizations during public health emergencies to speed along unapproved medical products (or unapproved uses of such) to treat or prevent serious diseases where there are no other adequate and available alternatives. For instance, on May 1, President Trump announced that the FDA authorized the emergency use of Gilead Science's experimental antiviral drug remdesivir to treat coronavirus patients after early results of a clinical study indicated the drug helps speed recovery.

Also, in mid-June, the FDA revoked the emergency use authorization for chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine donated to the Strategic National Stockpile to treat certain hospitalized coronavirus patients because it determined that the two drugs were unlikely to be effective in treating COVID-19 for the authorized uses in the EUA.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
How do we have people giving Trump the benefit of the doubt? On this fucking topic of all things. He's done nothing but fail.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess, he's going to bypass the FDA on something untested again.

It's sickening that he views this pandemic through the lens of how he can help his election.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

On the eve of the Republican National Convention where President Trump hopes to revive his flagging political fortunes, he will announce the emergency authorization of convalescent plasma for covid-19, a treatment that already has been given to more than 70,000 patients, according to officials familiar with the decision.

Many scientists and physicians believe that convalescent plasma might provide some benefit but is far from a breakthrough. It is rich in antibodies that could be helpful in fighting the coronavirus, but the evidence so far has not been conclusive about whether it works, when to administer it and what dose is needed. On CBS's "Face the Nation" on Sunday, former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said the blood product — derived from patients who have survived covid-19 — is "probably beneficial" for covid-19 patients. The issuance of an emergency authorization would make it easier to get in some settings. But he also said it already is widely available, so the change would be "incremental."

Last edited:

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this a treatment that was already in use? I remember the reports out of Texas that that's where they where using it with some success. And it's a treatment not a cure witch Trump still doesn't understand.
Yes, we use this in our lab. Right now we can't just order it on anybody. They have to be approved and become part of a study. I suppose now, we would be able to bypass that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this a treatment that was already in use? I remember the reports out of Texas that that's where they where using it with some success. And it's a treatment not a cure witch Trump still doesn't understand.
Yes. Article says 70,000 have had it:
On the eve of the Republican National Convention where President Trump hopes to revive his flagging political fortunes, he will announce the emergency authorization of convalescent plasma for covid-19, a treatment that already has been given to more than 70,000 patients, according to officials familiar with the decision.

Many scientists and physicians believe that convalescent plasma might provide some benefit but is far from a breakthrough. It is rich in antibodies that could be helpful in fighting the coronavirus, but the evidence so far has not been conclusive about whether it works, when to administer it and what dose is needed. On CBS's "Face the Nation" on Sunday, former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said the blood product — derived from patients who have survived covid-19 — is "probably beneficial" for covid-19 patients. The issuance of an emergency authorization would make it easier to get in some settings. But he also said it already is widely available, so the change would be "incremental."

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
How do we have people giving Trump the benefit of the doubt? On this fucking topic of all things. He's done nothing but fail.
At one point I might have said it's just people being desperate but I can't even justify saying that anymore. Just this year Trump has done nothing but show he doesn't actually give a fuck about the America people nor does he even want to do the bare minimum in terms of addressing this virus. There is no scenario in which Trump comes to the US citizens with a solution to our woes because he is fundamentally not interested in the solutions or the core problem. Trump & the GOP has not earned any benefit of the doubt and rather has spent 4 years squandering good will. Stop trusting them to finally come to he rescue here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Everybody came in here to bash, but if it is the emergency authorization of the blood plasma therapy, that actually is a good thing.
Still going to bash the hell out of him because he deserves it. This type of treatment also has been in use already. And no, it is not a good thing to be doing the things he has with the FDA to politicize treatment options and put pressure on scientists and administrators to potentially rush certain types of treatments.

If this was as urgent as he desperately wants it to be, the authorization would already exist and it wouldn't need a 20min fluff session to go with it.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At one point I might have said it's just people being desperate but I can't even justify saying that anymore. Just this year Trump has done nothing but show he doesn't actually give a fuck about the America people nor does he even want to do the bare minimum in terms of addressing this virus. There is no scenario in which Trump comes to the US citizens with a solution to our woes because he is fundamentally not interested in the solutions or the core problem. Trump & the GOP has not earned any benefit of the doubt and rather has spent 4 years squandering good will. Stop trusting them to finally come to he rescue here.
www.cnn.com

US FDA announces emergency authorization for convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19

The US Food and Drug Administration on Sunday issued an emergency use authorization for convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19, saying the "known and potential benefits of the product outweigh the known and potential risks of the product."

It is rumored to be the plasma therapy, which Fauci has supported in the past.
The cost and the availability for the average person is the question.

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody came in here to bash, but if it is the emergency authorization of the blood plasma therapy, that actually is a good thing.

Really, because it sounds like it has the potential to be a very, very bad thing. How is this administration, of all administrations, circumventing FDA policies a surefire good thing?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Dude just put money into better testing available at home and workplaces, so people can know if they have it or not. I would love to have access to a pregnancy type test or something that lets me know if I'm positive.

I don't need a cure, I just need assurance