• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Nope. I am a US citizen who did not qualify for the stimulus payment because I am married to my wife who is legally immigrating and was provided an ITIN by the IRS.

I am guessing SSN and ITIN are functionally identical here because of the following post:

Title is misleading. You still get it if you have a SSN (my wife is an immigrant and I received the full amount).

Still bullshit of course.

At this point, immigrants with and without SSN getting fucked over by Trump admin's stimulus plan is a matter of odds it seems.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I am guessing SSN and ITIN are functionally identical here because of the following post:

At this point, immigrants with and without SSN getting fucked over by Trump admin's stimulus plan is a matter of odds it seems.
The real deciding factor isn't if your spouse has an ITIN or SSN. It's if you filed married joint or did head of house. If you do them together then you are disqualified. But if you filed HoH you will get the payment but they won't.

My issue isn't that she isn't receiving money because it makes sense. Everyone is upset that citizens themselves are being disqualified for something that is blantantly anti-immigrant. And that is underlined when you see they made exceptions for people in the military

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The real deciding factor isn't if your spouse has an ITIN or SSN. It's if you filed married joint or did head of house. If you do them together then you are disqualified. But if you filed HoH you will get the payment but they won't.

My issue isn't that she isn't receiving money because it makes sense. Everyone is upset that citizens themselves are being disqualified for something that is blantantly anti-immigrant. And that is underlined when you see they made exceptions for people in the military

Ah, gotcha. What an utter PITA.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Can't run on the economy, can't run on jobs, can't run on the stock market, can't run on the military, can't run on corruption...

...gotta fall back to the tried and true race card. Remember the "caravan" that was coming right before the 2018 elections and no one gave a shit the day after?

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Can't run on the economy, can't run on jobs, can't run on the stock market, can't run on the military, can't run on corruption...

...gotta fall back to the tried and true race card. Remember the "caravan" that was coming right before the 2018 elections and no one gave a shit the day after?

The fact that it's not even a specific race card anymore is what's really horrifying. It's a blatant ploy to stir up EVERY possible kind of racism and xenophobia from the GOP base, by letting them fill in the blanks as to who "the invisible enemy" is.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
He probably found out nobody is trying to come here so he got ahead of it to make it look like he doesn't want them here. The world feels sad for us, because we have such an incompetent administration. I predict a world wide ban on people from the US. We're too high risk and and it's totally reasonable to ban us.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
The fact that it's not even a specific race card anymore is what's really horrifying. It's a blatant ploy to stir up EVERY possible kind of racism and xenophobia from the GOP base, by letting them fill in the blanks as to who "the invisible enemy" is.

Doesn't matter who it's against. The point is to stoke white nationalism and gin up fear that "the browns" are coming into the country to steal what's "theirs."

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Couldn't he have said something like "closing borders in order to contain the spread of the virus"? While technically correct, seems like he's saying immigration for obvious reasons.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Doesn't matter who it's against. The point is to stoke white nationalism and gin up fear that "the browns" are coming into the country to steal what's "theirs."

Except that it can just as easily work as a continuation of Trump's recent anti-chinese rhetoric, which is focused primarily on blaming them for coming over and "spreading the chinese virus," rather than "stealing things" from white people. And he didn't even have to say the word "chinese." Again, his base can fill in the blanks with whatever people they're most scared of at the moment. And since Republican voters tend to have the memories of fruit flies, it means for many of them, the "invisible enemy" might be "mexicans" one day, and "chinese" the next. Or both at the same time, along with every other non-white person.

TLDR: this isn't just a repeat of his 2016 election strategy, far as I can tell. This is MUCH worse, and has the potential to be even more effective.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I'm just just like his Muslim Travel Ban, this will be lifted as soon as we "figure out what's going on." /s

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i can guess this might affect me? MY application was submitted last year and i was about to be called for an interview.

No way does this not get extended.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
He's doing this but allowing governors like Kemp to open shit back up. Trump just can't resist doing some racism.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
so..my wife already has her US visa. Does this prevent her from entering at any point of entry? or is suspension for people still in the process?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What the heck is going to happen to all the people who legally came here on fiance visas but who haven't completed their green card process yet? Do they have to leave if their fiance visa expires in the next sixty days?

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
so..my wife already has her US visa. Does this prevent her from entering at any point of entry? or is suspension for people still in the process?
Visas are still good. They will not process any applications to become permanent residents. No idea what that means for people already in the country with fiance visas.

May 21, 2018
Didn't they do an interview/survey of a bunch of white people asking them if they would do the low-paying jobs that immigrants, legal or illegal, are currently doing like picking crops, garbage disposal, etc? And the overwhelming answer IIRC was they they wouldn't do it even if unemployed because such jobs were beneath them?

So yeah, this measure doesn't help unemployment one bit. It's just pure xenophobia.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This hurts as someone currently going through the process. Plus these visa processes have expiry dates and there's nothing to extend them.
oh for fucks sake. my green card application is gonna be on halt now I guess...just perfect
To you and everyone going through the process, I cannot convey how angry this news makes me. Without having to deal with crap like this, I wear the stress of the process for all to see in the tuft of grey hair I acquired during it.

I hope everything works out for all of you and anyone else in your situation.

Fuck Miller. Fuck Trump.

Oct 27, 2017
This is part of the reason Trump needs to be beaten and badly in November. He's just making this country completely unrecognizable and with no voters to answer to, it's just going to get worse.
Yeah and he should also lose the election too lol jk.

I hope no one in my family is affected by this. I think everyone's card status is up to date but idk

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Wait isn't there a travel ban anyway ?

What exactly does this achieve ? Just seems pure excess to get a certain message across.

This has no real pragmatic value.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Didn't realize those requirements for the stimulus paycheck. I guess that's why I haven't gotten $1200 despite paying the USA tens of thousands (if not more) in taxes the past 8 years. Sad.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely affects me too then. My application is already with them but im guessing its on halt now. I truly truly hate this man, republicans and his voters.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Didn't realize those requirements for the stimulus paycheck. I guess that's why I haven't gotten $1200 despite paying the USA tens of thousands (if not more) in taxes the past 8 years. Sad.
Right? Everyone being taxed should get to have a say in our representation. Hmmn, I can probably come up with a catchy slogan along those lines.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
To you and everyone going through the process, I cannot convey how angry this news makes me. Without having to deal with crap like this, I wear the stress of the process for all to see in the tuft of grey hair I acquired during it.

I hope everything works out for all of you and anyone else in your situation.

Fuck Miller. Fuck Trump.

Thank you. It is just awful because right now I don't know when we will be together again. Also I had everything ready to go for the move and now I have no idea. Plus we have a three year old too. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate language
I just got my VISA extended last week. This is so retarded. Hopefully the court challenge the fck out of this.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thia is fascinating to watch, really. And he will win again the next election.
I mean, every single election since Trump was sworn in has indicated that he's going to have serious trouble in November, but OK.

(Republicans will do their best to cheat/steal the election but I'm not sure it will be enough)

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Thank you. It is just awful because right now I don't know when we will be together again. Also I had everything ready to go for the move and now I have no idea. Plus we have a three year old too. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not joking about the grey hair. That process was a nightmare even when we weren't in the middle of a pandemic and the administration wasn't trying trying to fuck immigrants every chance they have.

I hope you can all be together soon.