• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I never understood how it's legal to have anything that is even remotely close to campaigning any candidate on a polling site premises.

EDIT:Oops, posted a blank post.

It's not; there's laws that define an exact distance electioneering is prohibited from polling sites. It's why at that exact distance you'll see a billion campaign signs and volunteers hanging out before you enter the no-man's land of a polling place.

Of course this only matters if someone enforces these laws.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017

Quoted for Virginia:
During the times the polls are open and ballots are being counted, it shall be unlawful for any person (i) to loiter or congregate within 40 feet of any entrance of any polling place; (ii) within such distance to give, tender, or exhibit any ballot, ticket, or other campaign material to any person or to solicit or in any manner attempt to influence any person in casting his vote; or (iii) to hinder or delay a qualified voter in entering or leaving a polling place. (Va. Code Ann. § 24.2-604(A))

Not a Horse

Aug 15, 2018
So is this one of those laws that no one bothers to enforce?
It's one enforced selectively by a certain type of people.

thehill.com

Woman votes topless after being told to cover anti-Trump shirt at NH polling place

A New Hampshire woman voting in the state’s Tuesday primary election voted topless after she was told that she couldn’t wear a shirt criticizing President Trump to cast her ballot.Exeter Town Moder…

A New Hampshire woman voting in the state's Tuesday primary election voted topless after she was told that she couldn't wear a shirt criticizing President Trump to cast her ballot.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
How much antifreeze would I have to inject into my brain directly before I would have to think four more years of Trump would be a good idea

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
There were people asking who I was voting for in 2016 with candidate shirts on. Gave him a death glare and he fled away.

I'm in a deep red place in PA. The police likely wouldn't do much.

But i hope other places push back

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Fairfax resident here, the good news this county is super blue and makes a lot of the state's population, so these people are just yelling into the wind. Fuck 'em.

Baneros

Aug 22, 2018
They should have called Caity Lotz, she could've reached these fine people through love and dialogue.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
When these idiots chant 4 more years...

What do they think they're getting out of those extra years? How can they look at what's gone on and will continue to go on and say yep I want 4 more years of that...

They're preventing liberals from voting and being in power. That's all they care about, stopping liberals.

They want all liberals gone, to them, we're the enemy and they'll resort to any means necessary to accomplish that goal.

It's why they support Trump as hardcore as they do, he tells them what they want to hear (aka, he's attacking the libs).

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Look forwatrd to this happening a bunch on Election Day proper.
The cops will do NOTHING to stop this. But at least added security should help and there's no excuse not to have it seeing these tactics play out in advance.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I really don't know how we have gotten to this point. I mean, I knew America had problems and a lot of progress to still make, but I NEVER imagined this was our reality. Its disheartening. I've seriously begun entertaining the idea of leaving the country.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
That is wild. I live in Fairfax, used to live literally next door to that building, and can't imagine seeing that there.

Thankfully I don't think they were actually blocking anything (there's a million ways to walk around that center area) but still, the mind boggles that this is happening. I will choose to believe this is a small, very confused minority of people trying to stand up to what will be a large majority of people who I trust will make voting decisions that are good for the future of this country.

Still, bleh. Get out there and vote everyone! Get everyone you know to do the same!

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The supporters of a party that survives on voter suppression actively engaging in the suppression themselves.

May 26, 2018
I really don't know how we have gotten to this point. I mean, I knew America had problems and a lot of progress to still make, but I NEVER imagined this was our reality. Its disheartening. I've seriously begun entertaining the idea of leaving the country.

I know. I know.

But first let's give them something to remember. Actively. Every day. Let's make "being out of power" a feeling we burn right into their heads.

We do that, you'll have more time and a safer environment for leaving, if nothing else.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what to say anymore really, I've done my best to take all this shit in stride, but it's starting to get to me and I feel so fucking mad all the time seeing stuff like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Are they blocking the entrances, or just set up outside? Because there are always booths & such set up like that outside polling places on "normal" election days. I think there's a rule about the minimum distance from the entrance, but not that people can't be there at all.
This is straight up illegal. You cant even wear political clothing to the booth. Lock their inbred asses up.
It varies by State I think. In PA the parties are allowed to set up outside of polling stations but can't interfere with anyone walking in, they're supposed to be there to answer any questions voters have

These people are obnoxious though, I don't think that would be allowed here

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling over multiple posts
To just vote won't fix the deep´, deep problems your whole political system has, USA

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just walk right through them or around them. They can't physically block the entrances to the building. If they try that, then shit gets real.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It varies by State I think. In PA the parties are allowed to set up outside of polling stations but can't interfere with anyone walking in, they're supposed to be there to answer any questions voters have

These people are obnoxious though, I don't think that would be allowed here
We have a distance restriction here, so you might have someone handing out material or campaigning in the parking lot. It was particularly unpleasant in 2016. Had a large group of those anti-abortion activists with the giant photos of mutilated featuses.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Dunno. I'm just saying and not really caring anymore as an outsider.

Never said this. Go vote, it's your privilege but just don't expect shit to change, with how broken everything is in your country and how that conservative and equally power-hungry democratic party wants to maintain its power.

If you are not caring, then why are you in this thread?