• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If America is stupid enough to elect this piece of shit twice it will be hard to complain about the mess that follows.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Is this really news? He's said this like 100 times. He says it pretty much every time he speaks in public.

Feb 16, 2018
what's the "peaceful protest" at a rally in support of the people who are currently and illegitimately in power?

protesting against what?

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
If he wins again he'll pretty much be able to make a case for it. Having control of everything and replacing everyone with stooges has its perks I guess.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
His trash-bag-full-of-pudding body might not last another eight months, let alone years, but this is all the more reason to give his revolting, bloated ass the boot in November.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yet another example of "if obama said this, Fox News would have had a field day with this while being completely fucking mum when Trump says shit like this."

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
His rallies recently have been pretty astounding. Nearly everything out of his mouth would be a week long scandal in normal times. Now he says that shit a few times a week and people shrug.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know. But this is beyond a joke, which is how the right tends to frame it when he says this sort of shit.

Yeah, the truth is it was never a joke.

And if he "wins" reelection, there's a decent chance he will get his wish. No rules/laws/precedents will matter anymore if he is given a second term.

He has already proven that we have no functioning system of checks and balances in this country and that the rules don't apply to him. Like all the fascist dictators he admires and aspires to be like, he will do anything he can to hold onto his power.

It is in the Constitution of the United States.

So, no.

He has already betrayed and violated the constitution too many ways to count, with absolutely zero consequences.

So... it might as well be a "gentleman's agreement".

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was never a joke.

And if he "wins" reelection, there's a decent chance he will get his wish. No rules/laws/precedents will matter anymore if he is given a second term.

He has already proven that we have no functioning system of checks and balances in this country and that the rules don't apply to him. Like all the fascist dictators he admires and aspires to be like, he will do anything he can to hold onto his power.

He has already betrayed and violated the constitution too many ways to count, with absolutely zero consequences.

So... it might as well be a "gentleman's agreement".
He certainly has, but it's all pretty muddled. The emoluments clause, poll taxes, things like that. There are theoretical (if poorly constructed) arguments as to why he isn't violating it.

The amendment literally says, in like a sentence, "two term limit". It's not a complicated legal document. The Supreme Court could not POSSIBLY allow this, it'd be a 9-0 decision at the moment.

Not to say it couldn't cause a minor civil war, but the judicial branch at least would not allow it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
His brain (what's left of it won't survive that long).

He won't recognize Putin within 4 years.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That's because it was a gentleman's agreement until FDR served 4 terms. Then they put in the ammendment which is just as biding as every other part of the constitution
Right, I'm just saying it wasn't always the case, and it can be ammended again (extremely unlikely but not impossible)

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'll drag you out myself, you fuck. It's astounding how much enabling & pussyfooting around this motherfucker has brought the US up to this line.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Reminder, the first 2 years of his term had the super majority and still didn't do shit.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to him negotiating with the constitution and republicans saying "this seems fine".
I'm not.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yet another example of "if obama said this, Fox News would have had a field day with this while being completely fucking mum when Trump says shit like this."
Well yes but that's because Fox News and it's owners agree with the policy positions of the Trump admin and disagree with the policy positions of democrats.

People always say this like it's a gotcha but it's a consistent belief system. They don't have any moral opposition to an authoritarian regime on principle so long as it furthers their goals.