• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Betsy DeVos is a vile person for pushing this narrative that we should reopen schools since other business are opening too. I mean sure, but now we are stopping those businesses from reopening and closing others because cases are soaring.

Once again, for all parents, spring time distance learning was a disaster because we weren't ready. Surely you can understand that, many students didn't have tech, didn't have access, teachers couldn't instantly flip to a digital platform. Please don't use the spring as a measure of what the fall will look like. Obviously no one can speak for all teachers, but many of us have been working hard transitioning everything to digital formats 'just in case'.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
My wife is a high school teacher and she is terrified at the idea of going back this fall. Her high school is 600 kids over capacity and has 2,000 total people in it. I don't know how you re-open a school like that and practice any form of social distancing. Her DC has a child who is extremely immuno-compromised and as such she really can't leave her house at all right now for any reason. This has the potential to hurt not only the kids, but the teachers, staff, and their families as well.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
My kid needs in person learning. But I'm not sending him back with Georgia on fire. Thankfully we have the option.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
CDC will cover their ass with guidelines. And then School Districts can be dumb asses if they want it seems.

Again...no enforcement.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
In that speech, Pence walked back Trump's "All schools have to be open full time" nonsense.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad my sons are under the age where they're required to go to school.
Unfortunately my wife is a highschool teacher and I work in the IT department for the school district here.

Nobody in leadership really has any idea what we're going to do. Everyone is scared to make the first move. There are multiple plans, but it seems like we're mostly waiting for other districts to make the first move.

I've been in a lot of meetings but am disappointed that the district doesn't seem to be interested in really leveraging the IT department. It's frustrating and I'm worried about specifically my mother in law in her mid 70s who watches our kids while we're at work catching something that my wife brings home from a student.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in a lot of meetings but am disappointed that the district doesn't seem to be interested in really leveraging the IT department. It's frustrating and I'm worried about specifically my mother in law in her mid 70s who watches our kids while we're at work catching something that my wife brings home from a student.
They won't even leverage IT for their own employees. You would think the more people who can work from home the better for those who can't, but because some people can't do all of their work from home, everybody must come in.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, sucks to be in a red...

{You live in Texas}

shit.

Our ISD sent out a notice that seemed to indicate they were looking ways to make remote learning as viable as possible and only providing in building schooling for students who truly need it. We're lucky that our kid is a high schooler and is capable of learning remotely, but it presents its own set of problems. You know there are going to be parents who just try to send their kids to school just to get them out of the house.

I've worked ISD IT before and have another friend who currently works ISD IT and they've never been equipped to handle this from a planning or budgetary standpoint.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Yeah, another ISD IT employee here.

We've not heard anything specific yet. Very anxious to get that info. We've begun working on several contingency plans, though.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad my niece is 3 so she can stay home for another year. My sis refuses to even bother with daycare at this point. Don't want her infected and taking it home to her grandparents who are both high risk.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been talked about already, but why does Trump have so much, um, "passion" for the schools opening in the fall. As I'm pretty sure he only gives a shit about himself and how things make him look, I'm trying to figure out his angle. Does he think it will help the economy?

I'm immunocompromised, and my daughter starts kindergarten in a dual language program here in Connecticut in the fall. My oncologist hasn't really given me an emphatic "No!" in terms of if I should be concerned about getting Covid, and I'm getting mixed messages about how safe it is for kids to be in school. I know it's up to us whether or not she goes in the fall but I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place. I don't want my daughters education to be put on hold but I also don't want her to bring the coronavirus home with her. I'm still waiting to see what the schools plan is but all this Twitter yelling by Trump gives me a crap ton of anxiety :/. The only comforting thing is that CT is one of the only states doing ok right now.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is really stressed. Just as a parent not as a teacher.

My sister is a teacher...she's insanely stressed!

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been talked about already, but why does Trump have so much, um, "passion" for the schools opening in the fall. As I'm pretty sure he only gives a shit about himself and how things make him look, I'm trying to figure out his angle. Does he think it will help the economy?

I'm immunocompromised, and my daughter starts kindergarten in a dual language program here in Connecticut in the fall. My oncologist hasn't really given me an emphatic "No!" in terms of if I should be concerned about getting Covid, and I'm getting mixed messages about how safe it is for kids to be in school. I know it's up to us whether or not she goes in the fall but I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place. I don't want my daughters education to be put on hold but I also don't want her to bring the coronavirus home with her. I'm still waiting to see what the schools plan is but all this Twitter yelling by Trump gives me a crap ton of anxiety :/. The only comforting thing is that CT is one of the only states doing ok right now.
People that think it's a hoax, Trump supporters, want the schools open.

That's probably as complicated as it gets in his feeble mind.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I've been impressed with how some localities have been handling this.

Staggered classes makes sense to me at the beginning (NYC and other places). Give parents tons of options!

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It is the economy. People can't go back to work if they need to monitor their children. Businesses around schools suffer when they don't get the traffic around them. School vendors won't have any contracts coming in.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

As said before, it's the only way the economy can open back up. If schools are all virtual or even partially virtual, who's going to watch the kids when parents have to show up back at the office? That is all he cares about, literally a feather in his cap that can help him sway some voters.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have to ignore this. I keep seeing news alerts about this man yelling about how schools should open and the fact that they don't even seem to want safe guidelines and it's driving my anxiety through the roof.

Alligot80

Jan 1, 2018
My wife is on our communities "return to school taskforce" (name sucks) they have their first meeting tonight and she is allready annoyed with me because of the huge list of questions that as a parent I want answered. I am convinced that there is no way to social distance and not spread it around in school. Hell I coach our football team and we started practice Monday, 2 days in we have had 6 kids drop out because of a COVID positive test from a child's grandpa. The kid wasn't at practice, he is awaiting test results but it made me realize more than ever thar It takes ONE person, that's it's. Teachers will drop like flies. Kids will be pulled from school, sports will stop, etc...
Fuck Trump and his political bullshit as well.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
It is the economy. People can't go back to work if they need to monitor their children. Businesses around schools suffer when they don't get the traffic around them. School vendors won't have any contracts coming in.

If only Trump and the Republicans just rub some brain cells together, and they'll realize that sending kids back to school will all likely cause huge spikes in infection rates. It's not hard to understand that spikes in infection rates will invariably increase death rates, which will only crater the economy even more.

They are so fucking dumb, it's like they don't even want to get reelected with all the dumb shit they are pulling.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If only Trump and the Republicans just rub some brain cells together, and they'll realize that sending kids back to school will all likely cause huge spikes in infection rates. It's not hard to understand that spikes in infection rates will invariably increase death rates, which will only crater the economy even more.

They are so fucking dumb, it's like they don't even want to get reelected with all the dumb shit they are pulling.

They just need to spike the economy for a few months, what happens after that they'll either deal with (or distract from) then or be out of office anyway and then it's the opposition's problem.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's baffling on the surface, isn't it? Because the bottom line now is that everything is about the election, and surely someone in Trump's inner circle knows there's a lot of people in the persuadable middle who are scared to death about Trump's militant line on schools opening back up. When you're a presidential candidate, the people who watch the 6 o'clock local news every night are the voters who will win or lose you the election, and the 6 o'clock crowd has turned on Trump.

The Governors who are getting high marks right now have laid out the winning message: "Of course we want the schools open, but we must let the facts on the ground guide our plans, and we must have extensive precautions prepared for when they do open. We're making the best judgments we can based upon the latest data coming in." When the 6 o'clock voting bloc hears that message they're given some sense of assurance that nothing rash or stupid will be done.

My best theory is that Trump has mismanaged this crisis so much that at this point pushing for a return to normalcy even in the face of a worsening crisis is his only remaining option. But, it's still such a bad option that it's hard to process as making sense if you assume Trump has some sense of political self-preservation. But, there's no other option for him except to play the role of the guy who wants to get back to normal, if only the Governors, media, deep state, local school boards, and your corner gas station would let him.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
They just need to spike the economy for a few months, what happens after that they'll either deal with (or distract from) then or be out of office anyway and then it's the opposition's problem.

Right, but school starts in August. There's 3-4 months gap between the beginning of school to election day.

Throwing kids into the blender now will only lead to bigger spikes in infection and death the closer we get to November. That just means that more and more places will shut down, which is just a bigger display of their incompetence. Leading to a decrease to their voter base enthusiasm, and it will energize those who already either don't like Republicans, or those that are on the fence, those fucking independent voters.

I don't see how any of this will work out as how they think it will.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Right, but school starts in August. There's 3-4 months gap between the beginning of school to election day.

Throwing kids into the blender now will only lead to big spikes in death the closer we get to November. That just means that more and more places will shut down, which is just a bigger display of their incompetence. Leading to a decrease to their voter base enthusiasm, and it will energize those who already either don't like Republicans, or those that are on the fence, those fucking independent voters.

I don't see how any of this will work out as how they think it will.

You know his motto "what can it hurt?" (we all know the answer to this, but he's only concerned about whether it hurts him)

I'm only guessing, but from his perspective, he's screwed either way. If the economy doesn't open back up he's screwed, if he opens schools up and there's another collapse he's screwed, so he hitches his wagon on one thing: maybe schools can open up and there won't be mass reinfection. That's what some studies say and what other countries are doing (and we've had a ton of discussion here why a lot of that won't work here). If that works, then that's what he'll focus on. If it doesn't, he'll deflect blame like always.

Ideally you'd have the government lead the way with a bunch of studies, guidelines, and cautiousness. Maybe even a meeting to discuss the different options and hear dissenting opinions and address them. Have a bunch of studies on what transmission is like for asymptomatic kids: is it really that rare? Instead we got two hours of people saying how great he is and how his leadership is a "dream team."

It's also why he allowed/forced states to open up by not giving them any support and not extending extra unemployment (yet). And that hasn't worked out for him, but if it did... just like, hydroxichloriquine is probably not the cure-all, but if it was...

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
He did. But basically gave Red States the ability to be complete idiots just like they did with businesses.

Yep just I said, its going to be the a cluster fuck like the reopenings. Districts are going to be all over the place, youll have red sates doing red state shit despite clear evidence you should stay shut and blue states doing blue state stuff with Karens showing up to scream at school board meetings. No leadership, no guidance, no plan and no money is pretty much another setup for a fall covid disaster. Why listen to the same idiot that caused the current red state disaster? Fuck them, my kids are staying put.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
You know his motto "what can it hurt?" (we all know the answer to this, but he's only concerned about whether it hurts him)

I'm only guessing, but from his perspective, he's screwed either way. If the economy doesn't open back up he's screwed, if he opens schools up and there's another collapse he's screwed, so he hitches his wagon on one thing: maybe schools can open up and there won't be mass reinfection. That's what some studies say and what other countries are doing (and we've had a ton of discussion here why a lot of that won't work here). If that works, then that's what he'll focus on. If it doesn't, he'll deflect blame like always.

Ideally you'd have the government lead the way with a bunch of studies, guidelines, and cautiousness. Maybe even a meeting to discuss the different options and hear dissenting opinions and address them. Have a bunch of studies on what transmission is like for asymptomatic kids: is it really that rare? Instead we got two hours of people saying how great he is and how his leadership is a "dream team."

It's also why he allowed/forced states to open up by not giving them any support and not extending extra unemployment (yet). And that hasn't worked out for him, but if it did... just like, hydroxichloriquine is probably not the cure-all, but if it was...

This is all so incredibly stupid. If your assessment is correct, and I don't have any reason to doubt it, their plan is to ultimately not have a plan and resort to throwing shit at the wall and seeing which one sticks. The only problem is that they are only grabbing rubber balls that is physically incapable of sticking to a wall ... what a time to live in.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
So speak as some who has worked right through this pandemic I think I can give some insight.

The last 4 months have been fucking brutal.

The first few weeks many of the kids stayed home with cold symptoms but after the first two weeks the kids almost never got sick.
Only a few of the kids stayed home sick for a longer period of time.
But the staff still got sick and since we couldn't find any subs we got stuck with our usual classes despite being severely under staffed.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So speak as some who has worked right through this pandemic I think I can give some insight.

The last 4 months have been fucking brutal.

The first few weeks many of the kids stayed home with cold symptoms but after the first two weeks the kids almost never got sick.
Only a few of the kids stayed home sick for a longer period of time.
But the staff still got sick and since we couldn't find any subs we got stuck with our usual classes despite being severely under staffed.

How many employees in your building got sick? And how many employees are there total?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I
lol, you called it

www.wgrz.com

President Trump threatens to cut federal aid from schools that don't reopen

President Trump on Wednesday also criticized the CDC's school reopening guidelines as being 'very tough & expensive.'

Its not hard to make that call. Its the only thing he does when he even gets a whiff of people not falling into line to do what he wants. So essentially all the red states are going to now blindly throw the children into this mess because its what Trump wants.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck it all.

If they're going to do this, then they need to stagger the classes; half the student body on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, then the other half Tuesday/Thursday, then switch next week. School will be open all five days but the impact is lessened. But COVID works by gradual saturation; eventually just one person with the virus will exhale long enough to saturate a classroom and now too many people will catch it. So the second solution is to ensure that airflow always pushes air in the classroom outside the windows. No closed-in classrooms without windows or outdoor access can be used in this case.

People are still going to get sick because it's fucked up that they're forced to go to school in the first place.

So on an off note I have a virulent hatred for the ...people... that voted this guy in.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My only worry right now here in Texas is that the TEA goes back on their "you can choose which option is best for you" plan due to what Trump and Devos said yesterday and today.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
They won't even leverage IT for their own employees. You would think the more people who can work from home the better for those who can't, but because some people can't do all of their work from home, everybody must come in.
This right here.

More interested in "fairness" than actually making everyone safer. It's infuriating.

Darth Giggity

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how i am going to home school a kindergartner when i am working from home... my 4th grader was hard enough as it is..

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017

Schools/teachers are free daycare to them and nothing else. They don't actually care about kids learning