• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Sweet, I'm back in community college and in my 30s. So yeah great idea.

Oct 27, 2017
Our school district is opening - they sent out an email last week. We have the option of 100% remote learning from home or they can go 2 days a week and remote 3 days.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
Once there's an infected person at a school, the school's going to go virtual at the drop of a hat anyways. Any posturing now is just about what the initial condition is going to be.
Not necessarily. Based on what one of the superintendents in my area has said that it depends on the circumstances. Protocol may be different if everyone in the class was wearing a mask.

Ithaca

Oct 28, 2017
Temperature checks:
1.) There's a bunch of spreading BEFORE the symptoms like an elevated temperature show up.
2.) Have you ever been through a non-contact temperature check. It's a (medical calibrated) IR sensor. I normally read 96 in the two months I've been doing the charade at work.
3.) Good luck covering all the entrances to your average school.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily schools are only full of children and there are no adults who have to be there daily working in close proximity with dozens of people. Luckily kids are very good about things like hand washing and covering coughs and sneezes. Luckily this whole thing is just a mild flu. Luckily teachers only work 4 hour days and only a couple months a year. Luckily teachers have a lot of support from their local communities and aren't vilified at every opportunity.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I can't even imagine this from the perspective of a teacher - somehow trying to balance teaching some kids in a classroom, while another group will be remote learning.

I'm pretty sure the teachers who do 100% remote learning will be different from the teachers who are doing in classroom (and maybe some remote learning) work. There's no other way it could work.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Temperature checks:
1.) There's a bunch of spreading BEFORE the symptoms like an elevated temperature show up.
2.) Have you ever been through a non-contact temperature check. It's a (medical calibrated) IR sensor. I normally read 96 in the two months I've been doing the charade at work.
3.) Good luck covering all the entrances to your average school.

1) Right, that's the presymptomatic thing I was talking about.

3) At least in my kids' school (and this initially surprised me) the entrances are carefully controlled. There is only one general entrance at use at any time and everyone funnels through it. You aren't allowed on campus at all unless you go through the front office. Kindergarten in particular is fenced off and separate from the rest of the school This was different from back when I went to school (admittedly in another state).

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. School Children don't appear to spread COVID-19, according to multiple studies in the US, Israel, the Netherlands, and France.

The NYTimes Daily podcast even discussed it this morning.

When we stack-rank our priorities for opening things, my prioritization is:
  1. Hospitals
  2. Agriculture
  3. Grocery Stores
  4. Schools
It is absurd to me that we've started re-opening outdoor dining, Best Buy, Target, etc before we re-open schools.

Opening schools should be a top priority.

And parents can choose not to send their kids. That's fine. Everyone gets their own risk profile.

A vaccine or treatment could be years away, or could never come. We shouldn't gamble a generation's development without serious scientific backing.

I think this post is pretty dangerous.

Children spreads viruses, this is a fact. Schools is a petri dish for diseases to spread, e.g., flu, colds, and other respiratory diseases, this is also a fact.

It is possible that children spreads the disease less compared to adults (if the articles you cited are actually correct), but what about the adults as other posters have pointed out. But, most of the articles are from other countries with different degrees of governmental responsibilities.

I wouldn't trust Trump nor his fucking secretary of education Betsy Devos to come up with a plan to actually begin opening schools safely around the country, e.g., install proper safety measures that include madatory face masks, proper distancing from each other, as well as temperature checks, and etc.

You also claim that we shouldn't act unless without serious scientific backing, but you only point to a few articles with some inferences that it is "possible" for children to spread the disease less. Some correlation doesn't necessarily = causation unless more research on the matter is conducted.

I gotta say man, your argument doesn't pass the smell test. Especially when at best, people get sick (adults and children) and may be out of commission for weeks to months, and at worse, people will lose their lives. Not sure people will want to risk their lives as faculty and staff, risk the lives of their children, or risk their own lives when children can possibly bring the virus back with them to their homes.

I understand there is urgency for many reasons to get children back into schools, but our federal government failed us hard. It's a hard sell to get people back into schools with all the incompetence going around the country.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
What about those of us with school aged children who are immunocompromised? Or children who are immunocompromised? I don't understand how "hey some kids don't get it and most who do don't get very sick" translates in that situation

Indeed, and don't forget diabetic children. How many of those are they?

Those children and many teachers and support staff would be at risk. We must wait for a vaccine.

Ithaca

Oct 28, 2017
Superintendents can say whatever they want now. It's an initial position. Good luck contact tracing an infected person through the school, including hallways, bathrooms and cafeterias to ensure that 'everyone' that was potentially exposed was wearing a mask at all times.

I'm a teacher that currently is doing face to face stuff this summer. Kids do not wear masks properly, nor do they keep them on.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm a teacher in Florida, which is relevant considering they've gone on to proclaim that schools will be opening here.

I don't know about other districts, but in my district the reopening plan needs to be negotiated with the teacher's union, who've gone on record saying they will not support a reopening unless there is a significant decline in new cases. So... good fucking luck. Either the union folds or the state restricts testing to meet union requirements on a technicality, in which case we probably strike.

Oct 25, 2017
How? You still haven't answered this very simple question.
Staggering the days that kids come in is probably a good first step. The main issue you're really facing is adult-to-adult spread, so anything that maximizes non-faculty work from home and faculty not all being there at the same time are good steps.
I highly doubt you have kids Trigonometrize so again, kindly fuck off.
Pft, whatever.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
American Association of Pediatricians actually agrees with this, but I don't know how you can do this without putting tons of teachers and families at risk. It's a lose-lose situation as a lot of students are really struggling with online learning and the effects of a full year of it might end up catastrophic in the long term, especially for those in the poorest communities. If they want online learning to work, they need to completely revamp how it's done and hire way more instructors to keep the class sizes smaller. You cannot control a Zoom call with 18 students in it.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
As a parent of a young school age child, she took a mental hit not being able to learn in class and be near other kids. Her teacher essentially phoned it in and I feel he and others got a paid vacation to do very little.

And my wife had to work harder because she was responsible for creating new curriculum each week as the county didn't have anything created for distance learning

BTW - how the hell do you get kids to and from school everyday on buses while social distancing?

They'll be sitting RIGHT NEXT to each other. You think they'll have those masks on nice and tight? Above the nose and under the chin?

What about lunchtime? You can't eat and drink with a mask on at a table with other students.

There are so many things not being considered.

The proposed plan in my county is that the kids will be broken into groups a,b,c. Each group goes to school for 1 week and then distance learns for 2. So while group A is in school groups b and c will be home distance learning. This is to reduce class size. Lunches will also be served in the classroom and no clue about recess. The whole thing makes no sense.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
People want to go back to work/normal I get it but the US is really in no position to do this if it cares at all about saving lives.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
User Banned (5 days): Hostility towards another member
Staggering the days that kids come in is probably a good first step. The main issue you're really facing is adult-to-adult spread, so anything that maximizes non-faculty work from home and faculty not all being there at the same time are good steps.
Pft, whatever.
Lol you have no fucking clue how reality works. And of course you refused to answer the question of if you have kids. You don't. So again, fuck off. You're worthless.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Pft, whatever.

Note that the mandate (if we look at Florida) is not that schools need to reopen part time, it's that they reopen five days a week for all students. This makes sense when you consider that if a school is open even part time that creates extra burden on the parents. But that means full class sizes and no staggering, which is idiotic.

I still haven't seen conclusive evidence that there is no kid to kid or kid to adult spread. I understand the argument that asymptomatic people are not coughing and spreading germs like symptomatic people, but they are still contagious, so I don't know why being a kid medically makes them less likely to spread germs when in every other circumstance they are more likely to spread germs.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
We must -- I repeat, must -- pile the bodies of our sacrificed children high enough to catch God's attention.

Gabe323

Oct 18, 2019
This lines up pretty well with Mitch tying up the next stimulus with schools reopening. I don't know if it was posted already but I saw a clip of that on a local news channel over dinner.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't see how you can even begin to justify this unless you're in a state with no real spike and even then that shiz can change on a dime once Flu season is here with so many fucks who don't get the shot.

just a shit show.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like my university (Rice) agrees.

Willing to put all our lives at risk :(

I don't know how true it is, but a lot of people on Reddit were saying UH changed class lists yesterday from having rooms listed to just saying TBD, so we'll see. I won't be at all surprised if in a month what admin teams want to happen and what actually happens is completely different.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Vaguely related, they just locked down a city in the UK because COVID-19 rates spiked in kids (after schools opened). I definitely wouldn't be comfortable as either a teacher or a parent right now... but then I can't speak for schools in the US, maybe they're not as overcrowded as they are in the UK.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Unfortunately our current leadership does not.

Yeah no prizes for seeing where this is going. The worst of all worlds.

The schools will reopen, cases will spike even worse, ICUs will get more overloaded, then a few days or maybe weeks later, the schools will piecemeal close again state by state after everyone realizing it was dumb to open them up again in the first place.

All that will be achieved is a higher death toll and more chronically ill people.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Our school district is opening - they sent out an email last week. We have the option of 100% remote learning from home or they can go 2 days a week and remote 3 days.
What SD are you in? I work for one in WA which is why I ask. I have read White RIver's plan, but I am curious to see what other districts are doing. Mine currently has basically nothing yet to offer to us staff.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yeah no prizes for seeing where this is going. The worst of all worlds.

The schools will reopen, cases will spike even worse, ICUs will get more overloaded, then a few days or maybe weeks later, the schools will piecemeal close again state by state.

All that will be achieved is a higher death toll and more chronically ill people.
yep.

Honestly for the bigger universities, it'll probably only be a matter of days. Especially for universities that have 100-150 people lecture rooms.

Oct 28, 2017

That's being done in a lot of countries.

The problem is that those countries have generally handled the coronavirus spread extremely well. The risk of virus transmission a whole lot less. And even then the minute someone at a school catches the virus, it's instant lockdown.

I don't see how this is sustainable in the USA with little to zero efforts to flatten the curve and the adults generally speaking giving up. Like I said, opening up schools right now in the USA is ass backwards because it's legitimately a medieval plague in that country.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I can't even imagine this from the perspective of a teacher - somehow trying to balance teaching some kids in a classroom, while another group will be remote learning.

My district told us (and by us, I mean even admin (they found out the same time we did)) that parents have a choice between online or in person. We have no clue how that's actually going to look or work as far as teachers go (my school specifically was brand new last year, we were a little understaffed due to not having title 1 funds yet, so there's no way we can possibly put any more strain on ourselves if we don't get those this year either). The district sent out a survey 2 days later due to complaints about how we feel about that, but we haven't heard anything yet.

This whole situation is a mess.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Some of those replies woof there are some duuuumb people

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I can already tell you that cabinet level administrators are drooling at the idea of getting everyone "back to work."

It will be catastrophic. Governors need to remain strong and tell districts to fuck right off.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
a kid medically makes them less likely to spread germs when in every other circumstance they are more likely to spread germs.

It's mind boggling how people somehow think kids, even teenagers, will be bastions of proper hygiene. It all reads like idealized thinking when reality is far different.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Pft, whatever.
Have to agree man. You sound like someone who doesn't give a fuck about other people's kids.

There are 7000 kids infected in Florida alone

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. A sensible school reopening policy is well within achievability.

Not in the current environment, where new cases are growing in much of the country and distancing/PPE practices are not being observed, no, it's not. If you open schools now, there will be severe COVID-19 cases and a non-zero number of deaths. What's your acceptable number of child deaths to reopen schools so that parents can get back to work? 500? 1000? More?

I won't send my kids back yet. It's not worth the risk.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
there is a big difference in opening schools where cases are still rising and places where contact tracing is working

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
It's mind boggling how people somehow think kids, even teenagers, will be bastions of proper hygiene. It all reads like idealized thinking when reality is far different.

This.

As a high school teacher in FL, I can't wait for 80% of my students to disobey all the rules with regards to hygiene and distance and masks. Fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I saw an Austin area school district giving parents the option of full time virtual or full time in class.

Not sure how you socially distance with 25 kids

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The push to re-start in-person schooling in the fall is directly motivated by the desire to send working parents and other working adults back to in-person work. Politicians and business leaders are not concerned about students' mental health or academic progress, they care about getting people back to work. The concern about re-opening schools is not just about the health risk to students, educators, school staff, and families. Re-opening schools means re-opening the economy and a return to normalcy. Does anyone think the United States specifically will be ready for that in two months? Look at Florida, Texas, and California.

Not to mention we are still learning about the health impacts of COVID-19 with a growing understanding of the potentially debilitating long-term symptoms of SURVIVING COVID-19 still coming into view. The United States is not in a position to safely send students back to school or adults back to work. This is capitalism sacrificing human lives and well-being for a return to economic normalcy in which those human lives were already not getting a fair shake.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
As a single father working from home with a son about to enter kindergarten, the idea that they won't scares me to death. How do I teach and work at the same time?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Zero chance this doesn't kill a kid or a teacher. And when that happens, people will wish they'd just developed good online curricula. There's research out there from colleges of education on how to do online learning correctly.

I hope these schools/states that do this are ready for the lawsuits if it's ever mandatory.