• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I just came across this earlier today and found it interesting. In the 'Spellbound' quest there's a part where you're asked to meet someone to buy something another character wants. When you arrive they tell you that you need to pay them upfront, after which they'll give you coordinates to the item. There's a dialogue option that has V accuse them of trying to run a con. I'm paraphrasing a bit but if you choose it V says something along the lines of "If you're fucking with me you're going to regret it. Bigly."

I was pretty surprised to see the reference, seems like a pretty lame inclusion regardless of context but it was a little jarring to see after the last couple days of headlines. I'm sure the line was written months, if not years, ago and forgotten about, but not exactly the best time to have a little "Remember the goofy things Trump used to say?" Easter egg.

It was a little jarring, surreal almost, to spend most of the day reading about the events at the Capitol, turn on a game to get a break from it all and find a reference to Trump (unless 'bigly' has another connotation? I've never seen it used in any other context besides Trump using it, or it being used by someone imitating Trump, but I guess I could be missing something). And I don't mean this in a "Get politics out of my games!" way, it's literally a reference to Trump randomly thrown into a conversation.

I was curious whether anyone else caught the reference and if you thought anything of it. I want to be clear that I don't take this CDPR supporting Trump or anything. It was just so weird, I questioned whether I'd misheard at first. Wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

For anyone curious to see it, I'm sure it's not going to jump out as being as bizarre if you're expecting it, but the line is at about 6:32 in this video.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Posted this in the OT, but that's not the only thing leaning on the fourth wall:

Critically-Critical-Cyberpunk-2.jpg

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's a perfectly cromulent word, doubt it's a reference

Maybe not, but like I said, the only time I've ever seen it used is by Trump, or by people mocking his use of it.

Posted this in the OT, but that's not the only thing leaning on the fourth wall:

Critically-Critical-Cyberpunk-2.jpg

Uh, wow, that's pretty brutal, lol.

Reminds me of the office scenes in Assassin's Creed IV, there were a ton of references to the staff being overworked. Almost read like a cry for help.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
bigly[SUP]1[/SUP]

ADVERB
  1. to a great extent; on a large scale
    'we are going to reduce taxes bigly'
    'the crowd erupted bigly as never before'
Origin
late Middle English (meaning 'with great force'): from big + -ly. Rare from the late19th century until 2016, it was revived as a result of its association with President Donald Trump, whose adverbial use of big league in speech (to mean 'by a considerable amount') was widely misinterpreted as 'bigly'
Pronunciations
bigly /ˈbɪɡli/

----

Could be , who knows.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is a real word, albeit one no one uses. Sounds very dumb in that line and a strange choice for a protagonist, it would make more sense for a hostile npc who is puffing themselves up and trying to sound strong.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Eh that's a stretch. Think if they were trying to reference him it'd be a bit more on the nose.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Eh that's a stretch. Think if they were trying to reference him it'd be a bit more on the nose.

I don't know how much more on the nose you could get without naming him. Google the word, nearly all the hits are about people debating whether Trump is actually saying "bigly" or butchering "big league."

I'd be surprised to even see a recent usage that isn't in reference to Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.